View Full Version : Basilisk maintenance 2/24/13

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vlada
02-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Basilisk Maintenance

February 24th, 2013
SWGEmu Team

Basilisk maintenance 2/24/13

At 9:30 AM EST (check your local time here (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Basilisk+maintenance+2%2F24%2F1 3&iso=20130224T0930&p1=179)), in about 30 minutes, Basilisk will be taken offline for maintenance.

EDIT: This could take a bit longer than originally planned. (Ill try to keep you posted)

EDIT 2: OK, update on the DB reload... Yes its not a backup its a reload, (<~TheAnswer> just dump | load) to get some free space on the drive. Anyway, we are at 95GB out of 340GB so this will last way longer than 12 hours, probably closer to 24 hours.

EDIT 3: we are at 180GB out of 340GB

EDIT 4: Rough guesstimate... 50GB left

EDIT 5:

Good news: Server should be booting any tiime now.

Bad news: To save SSD space, in-game emails will be wiped.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

~The SWGEmu team

Swedishoyster
02-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
So it's just maintenance, no new patches?

brandnew
02-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
So it's just maintenance, no new patches?

maintenance requires a wipe as usual.
look its official announcement

Clifffitir
02-24-2013, 01:32 PM
People need to stop crying wipe every time the server goes down.

ExplosiveCheese
02-24-2013, 01:32 PM
maintenance requires a wipe as usual.
look its official announcement

aww crap, and I was right in the middle of grinding brawler. :(

brandnew
02-24-2013, 01:37 PM
People need to stop crying wipe every time the server goes down.
you have no humor

Vlada
02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
No wipes, no updates, just TheAnswer doing his thing.

Probably messing with loot tables and resources spawns to piss people off, as usual.

portusvanquale
02-24-2013, 01:40 PM
"requires a wipe" ... sure ;)

Hey SWGEMU guys - I just want to say you do a damn good job and I'm glad that you brought SWG back to us!

It's Sunday Afternoon here in Germany and I thought I could play the rest of the day... Maybe maintenance is done extra quick today? :D - Not pushing, just hoping :)

This is NO COMPLAINT!!! I would never complain about your work!

cepeed
02-24-2013, 01:43 PM
as we all know this is a work in progress and we all need to deal with it if we ever want this thing to get finished

Clifffitir
02-24-2013, 01:44 PM
you have no humor
Creating stupid rumors and speculations that a lot of people will believe because they don't know any better isn't funny and if it is, then you're the one without the sense of humor.

Runar
02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Normaly Serverdown Threads are full of crying, but i think here we should use the time to say thank you.

Thanks for all what you are doing. You do a great work.

Im from germany too. was hoping to play today. But its not so bad, because with you guys we can hope that swg will be finished again someday. :)

vuse
02-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Any rough estimates on when the next major patch will be?

ExplosiveCheese
02-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks for putting in some of the missing quests in the last patch.

Notos
02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
hi,

sorry but was there a wipe now or not? reason is, i miss my char when i login.

portusvanquale
02-24-2013, 02:26 PM
...but i think here we should use the time to say thank you.

/sign

I was in a sologroup just before the serverdown. One dude said nasty things about the DEVs because of the shutdown information. It was one sentence. He got verbally owned in gchat after he did that. It was really nice to see that people really appreciate the work done by the swgemu team and are even ready to defend the programmers!

Thx again. SWG is still the best MMO imho, and you resurrected it!

portusvanquale
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
hi,

sorry but was there a wipe now or not? reason is, i miss my char when i login.

Probably messing with loot tables and resources spawns to piss people off, as usual.

nuff said, I hope. Read before you post please ;)

Notos
02-24-2013, 02:32 PM
what happend to my char then?

Vlada
02-24-2013, 02:34 PM

I was hungry.

Notos
02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
helpfu answer, useless to ask as i see^^
i'll wait till the server is back.

Vlada
02-24-2013, 02:37 PM
helpfu answer, useless to ask as i see^^
i'll wait till the server is back.

Would "Its Alpha" or "How the **** should i know" be more to your liking?

Folky
02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I was hungry.

This made me chuckle ^^

Notos
seems it was a temp issue - they are back

Lolindir

What server did you make it on? If it was Nova you made it on, it might have been wiped, as that server get wiped from time to time. Bas have not been wiped yet. Never lost a character there.

Notos
02-24-2013, 02:42 PM
What server did you make it on? If it was Nova you made it on, it might have been wiped, as that server get wiped from time to time. Bas have not been wiped yet. Never lost a character there.

ty for serious response. As is said they are back again. was a temp issue, perhaps only with my client.

Durstalph
02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm new around here, so I'd like to start by saying I love the project! Thank you so much for bringing this game back from the dead.

On the point of the Maintenance, is this a regular occurrence? Does this happen every week or month?

SoulblazerNL
02-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Hey everyone,

First of all thanks for making this possible ofcourse!
I just started playing today a few minutes before the server went down.
Now I see that the "Nova Test Center" is still online.

When I want to log into that server it gets stuck when I want to enter.
Both servers on my screen are shown "Online" tho from what I have read ingame and here the bas. svr. should be down.
So my question is, should we still be able to log into the Nova server ?

Thnx in advance and I must say that I have had my doubts about replaying this game since it's so old.
The moment I logged in I was like YES ! again.
This is really strange because it's all outdated etc and the controls are .... well bad generally hahah well that's just the way the game was made but still.
The game is giving me what I was hoping so luv you guys (L)!!!

ps. Greets from Holland

Vlada
02-24-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm new around here, so I'd like to start by saying I love the project! Thank you so much for bringing this game back from the dead.

On the point of the Maintenance, is this a regular occurrence? Does this happen every week or month?

Happens when its necessary and TheAnswer has some free time. They are not that regular nor are they scheduled in advance.

epig
02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
i think here we should use the time to say thank you.

+1

Thanks to the SWGemu staff for giving us back the game we loved and thought was gone forever.
I realize there must be an amazing amount of work, hours and dedication behind a project like this.

Vlada
02-24-2013, 04:23 PM
This could take a bit longer than originally planned.

Ill try to keep you posted.

Sarabearrah
02-24-2013, 04:31 PM
I just want to say how happy I am to be able to play SWG again. Thank you computer guru's that make it possible.

portusvanquale
02-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Nonono, you were supposed to say "This is gonna be shorter than we thought!" - don't you wanna make me happy? ;)

Now bring TheAnswer another coffee and get it done :D

/jk

mrlaze
02-24-2013, 04:56 PM
now what am i going to do with my day? /sigh

bigevil
02-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Watch NFL combine on half screen, and troll forums on the other. At noon I'm going to truly multitask and crack a beer and eat some nachos. :p

Lolindir
02-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Watch NFL combine on half screen, and troll forums on the other. At noon I'm going to truly multitask and crack a beer and eat some nachos. :p

oooh.... Nachos! I haven't had dinner yet....

Kewbacca
02-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Oh how I wish there were schematics for nachos and beer (aside from that nasty bitter Jawa Beer lol)

mrlaze
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM

no tv in my room. been trolling since 830-900am. i wanna play :( going to head out i guess. grab some lunch.

Dr G
02-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I got my work done for today and was looking to play a bit before going to my in-laws for dinner. Oh well just have to stay positive and remeber each step takes us a step closer to a finished product.

a63ntorange
02-24-2013, 06:45 PM
My girlfriend just kicked me out of the bedroom, I am guessing pollinating her more than 3 times in one morning was out of the question. I need the server to come back up, before she cant walk tommarow, Help her please.

shubaz
02-24-2013, 07:45 PM
My girlfriend just kicked me out of the bedroom, I am guessing pollinating her more than 3 times in one morning was out of the question. I need the server to come back up, before she cant walk tommarow, Help her please.

thats funny

pstrawberrie
02-24-2013, 07:48 PM

wtf...lol @_________________@

anobizii
02-24-2013, 07:51 PM

I lol'd...

dragnauct
02-24-2013, 07:53 PM

QFT. GG sir!

Durstalph
02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
God Bless Her!

Pronoes
02-24-2013, 08:10 PM

Keep up the good work. Tell her it's not just for you anymore. It's for all the EMU'ers stuck waiting!

Gigitty
02-24-2013, 08:52 PM

My girlfriend and I built an Igloo during the down time..

What have you done?

zicke
02-24-2013, 08:52 PM
This could take a bit longer than originally planned.

Ill try to keep you posted.

Post??? Pls *sad*

DarvisSacul
02-24-2013, 08:53 PM
My girlfriend and I built an Igloo during the down time..

What have you done?

And then enjoyed some Eskimo Pie?

johns2223
02-24-2013, 08:59 PM
i myself am pretty excited so far all the work done to the server and code has brought the emu so far in what is in reality a short time im just patiently watching the status and looking forward to getting some time in game this afternoon.

Durstalph
02-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Seven and a half hours in now, any chance we could get an update?

EmberAngel
02-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Seven and a half hours in now, any chance we could get an update?

Server is down for maintenance. :p

Update complete.

Vlada
02-24-2013, 09:03 PM
30 minutes ago we were at 50GB out of 340GB. So it might take a while longer lol.

Pronoes
02-24-2013, 09:15 PM
30 minutes ago we were at 50GB out of 340GB. So it might take a while longer lol.

At that ratio, only another 40 hours to go :P

dragnauct
02-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Time to break out KOTOR II

MrTexas
02-24-2013, 09:26 PM
I went outside today

whatspeakyou
02-24-2013, 09:28 PM

Jesus what hardware/process are you guys using to back this data up? Are you replicating to a remote backup site or something? that's a really long time.

EmberAngel
02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Jesus what hardware/process are you guys using to back this data up?

Some odd new company. Skynet i think was name.

latobuck
02-24-2013, 09:34 PM
wasnt skynet the system taking over the world in the Terminator movies? is it taking over the EMU now.........

Gewehr98
02-24-2013, 09:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg/250px-Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

COME VITH ME IV YOU VANT TO PLAY TODAY

SoccerBoyAP
02-24-2013, 09:38 PM
I may be committing a crime here, but I opened up SWTOR to see what was going on... while I wait.

kikaha
02-24-2013, 09:40 PM
so i dont think that it will be need 40 hours :D you guys do great work i like that game its a game for long time i think tomorrow i will go donate if it works :) thank u guys

Gigitty
02-24-2013, 09:44 PM
And then enjoyed some Eskimo Pie?

Not yet.

I have to watch Breaking Dawn Part:2 Now.... Come on Devs... Don't let this happen to me...

Heffeweisen
02-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Omg its a wipe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadowjack1965
02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Not yet.

I have to watch Breaking Dawn Part:2 Now.... Come on Devs... Don't let this happen to me...

Oh you poor soul...

Heffeweisen
02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
serious note, i actually look forward to the "wipe". i have never played SWG from ground zero. it would be nice....even if for only a day to be on the level as everyone else in th game :-) Bring on the wipe.

Clifffitir
02-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Omg its a wipe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im going to force choke you.

tjmayer
02-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I went outside today

Did it...did it..hurt?

johns2223
02-24-2013, 09:54 PM
I have managed to avoid viewing any twilight movies however the longer this last the more I feel the grim reality approaching lol although I wouldn't mind directing k-stews next film lol

Stradoo
02-24-2013, 09:55 PM
so i dont think that it will be need 40 hours :D you guys do great work i like that game its a game for long time i think tomorrow i will go donate if it works :) thank u guys

You'll be donating. :) I've been playing for the past 2 months and this is the longest it's been down. No biggie. These guys know what they're doing...

Abesinay
i smell a merge.....

gusten75
Man I wish maintenance wasn't done in the weekends. my only playtime! Over 8 hours now on a sunday. Has something burned or what?
Well well , still appreciate the hard work..bla bla... best game.. bla bla.. thanks.

tjmayer
02-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Man I wish maintenance wasn't done in the weekends. my only playtime! Over 8 hours now on a sunday. Has something burned or what?
Well well , still appreciate the hard work..bla bla... best game.. bla bla.. thanks.

Remember these folks have jobs and families to deal with too, so it's possible the weekend is their own time to really get any work done on the servers aside from the random code they have to check and put up throughout the week.

Also complete speculation as I don't know for sure, but I would guess this database snapshot is for them to test a basilisk merge sandbox as a milestone to apply the next merge. Database dumps/backups take some time..It sucks but it's better than them applying a merge to basilisk ("production server") and it breaks and they have to wipe it right?

musashima
02-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Does this server get wiped from time to time? > i'm a newcomer to swgemu and played swg pre cu, just curious if all my hard grinding is pointless? :P

sandee
I went outside today

Did it look something like this....

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/PatriotDreamer/WhatHasBeenSeenCannotBeUnseen-1.jpg

SciPunk
Remember these folks have jobs and families to deal with too, so it's possible the weekend is their own time to really get any work done on the servers aside from the random code they have to check and put up throughout the week.

Also complete speculation as I don't know for sure, but I would guess this database snapshot is for them to test a basilisk merge sandbox as a milestone to apply the next merge. Database dumps/backups take some time..It sucks but it's better than them applying a merge to basilisk ("production server") and it breaks and they have to wipe it right?

True but there will be a wipe anyway, so it's delaying the inevitable :P Id rather it take longer and be done right then it be half arsed tho.

On a side note where do we donate, i can't find a damn link anywhere.

pstrawberrie
02-24-2013, 10:03 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg/250px-terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

come vith me iv you vant to play today

lolollooloololololol

Stradoo
02-24-2013, 10:04 PM
True but there will be a wipe anyway, so it's delaying the inevitable :P Id rather it take longer and be done right then it be half arsed tho.

Here: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forum.php

Top of the page. They made the funds for this month already. Woot!

tjmayer
02-24-2013, 10:04 PM

Testing their ability to provide a SLA of any kind is a big part of the testing process.. Practicing the process of maintaining/retaining character info and such is a part of the QA process.

SciPunk
02-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Did it look something like this....

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff393/PatriotDreamer/WhatHasBeenSeenCannotBeUnseen-1.jpg

More like this:

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2008/8/14/whathasbeense128632543699043805.jpg

harii
02-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Please support and help grow this great community by donating to cover our ever growing server and maintenance costs.
Pay the Bills
100%
Received $2468.00 with 146 contributors Ends March 2nd, 2013
Thanks for your continued support
Clue - it's at the top of the homepage

Pronoes
02-24-2013, 10:07 PM

No. They should live in a box, abandon all family ties, jobs and dreams, work 8 hours on SWG, 8 hours in RL and sleep for 8 hours. There should be 3 shifts of 4 man teams. Supplies of noodles and coffee their only sustenance and once a week someone should go take away their garbage.

SciPunk
02-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Here: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forum.php

Top of the page. They made the funds for this month already. Woot!

Thanks!

Testing their ability to provide a SLA of any kind is a big part of the testing process.. Practicing the process of maintaining/retaining character info and such is a part of the QA process.

I know was just messing around. I am glad they are taking the time to do it right, so that the game will remain more stable once 1.0 etc comes to pass.

gusten75
02-24-2013, 10:08 PM

Yeah your are right , I'm a bit impatient maybe. Although 8 hours is more than I can remember any maintenance has taken before... But hey I'm just afraid I have to play something else , boring.

kikaha
02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
u're right i dont find a like where i can donate too maybe vlada or someone can tell us

Stradoo
02-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Yeah your are right , I'm a bit impatient maybe. Although 8 hours is more than I can remember any maintenance has taken before... But hey I'm just afraid I have to play something else , boring.

QFT. Legend of Grimlock is fun... for an hour or so at a time... Not DAYS at a time...

Stradoo
02-24-2013, 10:11 PM
u're right i dont find a like where i can donate too maybe vlada or someone can tell us

I posted it a minute ago. Top of the forums page: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forum.php

Lynus
02-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Does this server get wiped from time to time? > i'm a newcomer to swgemu and played swg pre cu, just curious if all my hard grinding is pointless? :P
The plan is to avoid wipes throughout the Alpha and Beta phases of development. There are no guarantees this will be accomplished, however.

The server launched last June, and it hasn't been wiped yet.

SciPunk
02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
I found it, i swear i thought it was one of those forum ads you usually see. never paid attention to it

Spar1979
02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
Hey, not a big fan of forums as you can see, and not moaning about the down time or anything, but has there been any update of late?

Oharra42
02-24-2013, 10:29 PM

this server will get discontinued when they finalize the code and release suncrusher server in all it's glory. it's probably quite some time away though.
That's not to say this server wont get wiped before that time, it's still in testing phase (although the true test server is Nova)

atldarkphoenix
02-24-2013, 10:31 PM
no good news spar

vlada will let us know when its worth posting about

piya
02-24-2013, 10:35 PM

There will be a wipe, eventually. But it's a long time to go until then, and it will be the wipe before swgemu launches with version 1.0. [Always given that the codes and servers and all the backups don't suddenly burst into flames and implode into eternal nothingness.]
So! Either way, if you are a newcomer, I suggest you do some hard grinding, just to get an idea of what you want to do later and get the pre cu feeling again! ;)
1.0 is in distant far future.

... As for the mandatory crying about the server-down. Yeah, also german here, and also sitting and staring at the (hopefully soon green) red server icon. Europeans have always been screwed with maintenance times, also on live, when it was saturday afternoon at 1pm. We're used to it! Keep the great work up, there will be plenty of weekends for us to play in the future, thanks to your efforts. I'm currently learning C++, just so maybe one day I can help, too.
All thumbs up! Including toes. And dog's paws.
Cheers,
Picha

johns2223
02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
I think we all love to play and no matter where u r the server down is always a nail biter lol but to make an omlet u have to crack a few eggs one day in the future all the work,feedback, and other stuff is gonna be so worth we wont even remember these times

Akoz
02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Europeans screwed? Hello? The server has been down since 8:30am here in the US and its been down ALL of my day. so ;p

piya
02-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Amen. Just saying, Sunday 3:30pm is slightly more uncomfortable than 8:30am or something. Sunday at 8:30am I'm sleeping if the dogs let me! But today I didn't, I got my decoration jobs done ingame >_>. And today I am only impatient because my city update was 6 hours ago, and I wanted to drop my hospital and decorate it. Waiting until tomorrow will surely kill me, we shall see. :D

Gigitty
02-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Europeans screwed? Hello? The server has been down since 8:30am here in the US and its been down ALL of my day. so ;p

You said it.

piya
02-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Ugh, well, we couldn't know the server would be down for 9 hours! Now that it's going towards 1am, I don't even think I'll wait for it. Bedtime coming up. Sleepiness is such a weakness of character...

johns2223
02-24-2013, 10:43 PM
if ignorance is bliss why am I not blissful ??

piya
02-24-2013, 10:46 PM
(Time for something totally off-topic, but since there are so many people here actually writing, it's worth a shot. If somebody here has a wiki page for their character or something, on the SSG wiki, can you please check if you can log in on the page? I was going to update mine, and it keeps telling me I have the wrong password, which I totally do not. Thanks, please PM me, pretty please?)

http://wiki.starsidergalaxy.com/index.php?title=Milari_Reba

quirix
02-24-2013, 10:50 PM
/wrists@serverdown :-(

appreciate the work ofc - its better to have it in the longer run :-)

Spar1979
02-24-2013, 10:53 PM
aww ok :( thought id check in as last we heard was it was gonna take "a little longer" lol

quirix
02-24-2013, 11:10 PM
aww ok :( thought id check in as last we heard was it was gonna take "a little longer" lol

i am close to the end of my life, i just want to play swg for ONE last time /feigndeathsotheyfinishmaint

Gigitty
02-24-2013, 11:13 PM
I am not sure why people have such a problem with servers going down, for an extended amount of time.
Many games do this every once in a while, This is the longest its been down for me, and I've been playing 2 months.

Personally, I enjoy it, it makes me go do the things that I wont do, usually because I am playing.

I've gotten quite a bit done, But the most rewarding thing was the satisfaction of convincing my girlfriend that we really DID NOT NEED to watch a Twilight Movie..
Thought I was in for it....

Anyways, Got a lot done around the house, garden too! Even made an igloo outside! A nice warm home cooked meal.

Maybe the server being down for this long should happen more often!!

JK.

Keep up the good work team. We ain't mad, still got mad love.

Quigster
02-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Not that big of a deal for me as I was watching the Daytona 500. Jr came in 2nd! Now in a little while I will be watching the Oscars with my wife only to see what Seth Mcfarlane does (He is so going to Hell!). Hopefully by the time they are over it will be back up and running and i can get back to playing.

Gigitty
02-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Not that big of a deal for me as I was watching the Daytona 500. Jr came in 2nd! Now in a little while I will be watching the Oscars with my wife only to see what Seth Mcfarlane does (He is so going to Hell!). Hopefully by the time they are over it will be back up and running and i can get back to playing.

I didn't catch any of the Daytona, but I did see the crash on youtube.
Thanks for reminding me the Oscars are on tonight. Seth Mcfarlane is hilarious.

blackrose1986
02-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Every update brings us closer so dont complain :) Thank you all you hard working Devs !

jdfilko
02-24-2013, 11:29 PM
While I wish there weren't downtimes, or they were shorter, I am extremely grateful that you all do the work that you do. This was my very favorite MMO, and that it's back in any form is fantastic. Thank you.

Lylandyr
02-24-2013, 11:31 PM
I just started playing swgemu yesterday. Haven't played since CU. Just wondered if the devs are aware of the bug that has agro creatures attaching to people and
following them for several kilometers. I absolutely love this game. I wish I had known about it sooner. WTG Team!!!!

shubaz
02-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Its going to come back online. Real soon

Zadkiel
02-24-2013, 11:35 PM
I just started playing swgemu yesterday. Haven't played since CU. Just wondered if the devs are aware of the bug that has agro creatures attaching to people and
following them for several kilometers. I absolutely love this game. I wish I had known about it sooner. WTG Team!!!!

yes they are aware of that... it has been going on as long as I have been here. Welcome back to SWG btw! and to TA and the rest of the guys... I too would like to say thanks for all that you are doing... but bring on the CH and DE already : ) j/k, I know in due time... I know its not as easy as flipping a switch to turn on the AI, keep up the great work!

Gigitty
02-24-2013, 11:44 PM

Message me in game if you need some help, Free buffs, armor, weapons or whatever. I know it can be frustrating starting out fresh.

Gigitty is my in game name.

Lylandyr
02-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Thx for the offer Gigitty. I'm doing pretty good though. I remember alot from playing years ago. Working up towards an architect on my Main right now.
Already got Harvs planted. I'm just worried about them running out of maintenance before I can get to them again. If the server don't come up soon,
I won't be able to get back to them till tomorrow around 6pm EST. I am not complaining though. How long will they go without Maintenance until
they're destroyed?

Supahstah
02-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Message me in game if you need some help, Free buffs, armor, weapons or whatever. I know it can be frustrating starting out fresh.

Gigitty is my in game name.Youssa so nice!

Clifffitir
you will have time dont worry. it takes more then a day for them to die

mitthraw
Agree.

Much thanks SWGEMU team.

Gigitty
02-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Youssa so nice!

You so SUPAH

dragnauct
02-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Its going to come back online. Real soon

Dont bring our hopes up without proof!

Akoz
02-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Anyone want to help me get started? =D

Lylandyr
02-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Anyone want to help me get started? =D

I would help you Akoz but I just started myself. :(

dragnauct
HMU when we get back online.

sgtfunkadelic
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rtZlRqRWJjE/UR9zS3vvOWI/AAAAAAAAA1I/skQ_3FAPCLk/s640/basoffline.jpg

synaZaur
02-25-2013, 12:20 AM
just started myself... once the server is back up I plan on streaming some to Twitch... get the word out about the best MMO ever!

Ramala
02-25-2013, 12:54 AM
12 hours. A bit much. But if not for the volunteer devs, we would have no worlds to play in at all, so my best thoughts go with them. But I AM human, and frustration does occur. (listens to an approaching sound, then cheers wildly as a Gungan Parade enters the square, feathers bobbing, horns blaring and drums beating a tattoo...)
"Get the Server UP! Get the server UP!" Joins the chant then snickers as a forlorn shape follows, sweeping up the flower petals and streamers wearily.
Jar-Jar Binks blinks. "Meesa soo tired of following theesa parade, sweepy, sweepy, sweepy"
"The Boss" leans out of a doorway. "Yousa. What do yousa expect? Lucas tell yousa you would sweep up if yousa took the part!"
Jar-Jar shakes his head sadly. "Isa though he was talkiang about the Acadamy Awards!"

But I will be patient. I wandered a gaming wasteland for too long trying to find something as satisfying as SWG and one day without it is better than the Years of Abandonment. To the dev team/ Well done, no matter what it takes. Thank you.

Lylandyr
02-25-2013, 12:57 AM
12 hours. A bit much. But if not for the volunteer devs, we would have no worlds to play in at all, so my best thoughts go with them. But I AM human, and frustration does occur. (listens to an approaching sound, then cheers wildly as a Gungan Parade enters the square, feathers bobbing, horns blaring and drums beating a tattoo...)
"Get the Server UP! Get the server UP!" Joins the chant then snickers as a forlorn shape follows, sweeping up the flower petals and streamers wearily.
Jar-Jar Binks blinks. "Meesa soo tired of following theesa parade, sweepy, sweepy, sweepy"
"The Boss" leans out of a doorway. "Yousa. What do yousa expect? Lucas tell yousa you would sweep up if yousa took the part!"
Jar-Jar shakes his head sadly. "Isa though he was talkiang about the Acadamy Awards!"

But I will be patient. I wandered a gaming wasteland for too long trying to find something as satisfying as SWG and one day without it is better than the Years of Abandonment. To the dev team/ Well done, no matter what it takes. Thank you.

Do you have a publisher? dang.

Vlada
02-25-2013, 01:02 AM
OK, update on the DB reload... Yes its not a backup its a reload, (<~TheAnswer> just dump | load) to get some free space on the drive.

Anyway, we are at 95GB out of 340GB so this will last way longer than 12 hours, probably closer to 24 hours.

Akoz
02-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Wish there was an update though, but w/e. :)

Akoz
02-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Well I was late but thanks for update lol

zvanaitken1
02-25-2013, 01:06 AM
^^^^
That was an update

Iazan
02-25-2013, 01:07 AM
OK, update on the DB reload... Yes its not a backup its a reload, (<~TheAnswer> just dump | load) to get some free space on the drive.

Anyway, we are at 95GB out of 340GB so this will last way longer than 12 hours, probably closer to 24 hours.

all hope is lost

Lylandyr
02-25-2013, 01:16 AM

I'm not too sure on your math. 12 Hours for about 100GB. Server will be back up around 3-4am EST Tuesday morning. Ugh....

SciPunk
02-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Lyl they were at 50gb around 4:30pm, so its actually 4.5 hrs for 45gb, roughly 7 hrs more would be closer to correct, id say at most hopefully 9 am tomorrow.

Lylandyr
02-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Lyl they were at 50gb around 4:30pm, so its actually 4.5 hrs for 45gb, roughly 7 hrs more would be closer to correct, id say at most hopefully 9 am tomorrow.

Ok so 4.5 hrs for 45GB. that's 10 hrs for 100GB. that's 34 total hrs. Roughly 10pm EST Tomorrow night then. :)

qmod
02-25-2013, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the update. Couple questions though.

longer than 12 hours, probably closer to 24 hours.
Is that 24 hours from the initial scheduled maintenance (9:30AM EST 2/24/12) or 24 hours from Vlada's post at 9:20PM EST 2/24/12?

Thanks to all the powers that be for letting us enjoy something that was lost long ago.

RedFive
02-25-2013, 01:34 AM
I wandered a gaming wasteland for too long trying to find something as satisfying as SWG

No kidding...I always wondered what SWG would be like now, if CU/NGE never happened. SOE would still be taking our hard earned credits, that's for sure.

jettjedi
02-25-2013, 01:48 AM
I am sad that the server is down, but that is good, because that means you guys have done a great job in bringing back to life the best MMO ever made. I am going to play all day tomorrow :D

CaptTripps
02-25-2013, 01:54 AM
It all falls short. No game will ever replace SWG because the gaming industry cant get past all the "I WANT IT ALL RIGHT NOW!" generation which pays for the majority of the bills these days.

pstrawberrie
02-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Taking this time to set up a dev enviroment...I wonder who will be online first... =P

Dr G
02-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Well I guess this is a good time for everyone to stress test NOVA

bobmarley
02-25-2013, 02:29 AM
I actually went outside today.
Sadly I heard some dude I knew died, even sadder all I could ask was "did he drop good loot?"

Saicotic
02-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Basilisk Maintenance

February 24th, 2013
SWGEmu Team

Basilisk maintenance 2/24/13

EDIT2: OK, update on the DB reload... Yes its not a backup its a reload, (<~TheAnswer> just dump | load) to get some free space on the drive. Anyway, we are at 95GB out of 340GB so this will last way longer than 12 hours, probably closer to 24 hours.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

~The SWGEmu team

Hell it isn't an inconvenience, I am just happy people are seriously working on this! A huge Thank you to you all!

RogueOne
02-25-2013, 02:48 AM
I've been working on the my dev environment all day. Maybe this was a secret tactic to get all us lazy programmers to start contributing and not play as much ;)

laughinghorse
02-25-2013, 02:53 AM
just dusted off the game and re-installed after a buddy told me about SWGEMU. bummer that the server is down but now im foaming at the mouth all the more to get in and start. TO THE DEVS: MANY THX for making this happen. one of the best games ever in this medium. nice to see that the whining L33t mouthed generation WoW'ers may have won the battle years ago with SOE but not the war with SWGEMU today!
looking forward to gaming with y'all
p.s. OFF TOPIC: original EQ (another great ol' game) has a similar thing goin as well. for all those who may be interested; project99.org

WeskerDoodle
02-25-2013, 03:06 AM
First off, I'd like to be one of the few that say thank you for the maintenance.

Secondly, anyone who complains about this should uninstall immediately and/or just calm down. The best online sandbox game is back. Enough said. Don't make me come to your house over a Star Wars game (That's a joke for those who can't handle it).

My 8 friends and I are extremely appreciative of SWGEmu developers. All the best to guys from the Doodles, Serpovichs, and anyone else in Jeckel's Elite!!!

shubaz
02-25-2013, 03:08 AM
just dusted off the game and re-installed after a buddy told me about SWGEMU. bummer that the server is down but now im foaming at the mouth all the more to get in and start. TO THE DEVS: MANY THX for making this happen. one of the best games ever in this medium. nice to see that the whining L33t mouthed generation WoW'ers may have won the battle years ago with SOE but not the war with SWGEMU today!
looking forward to gaming with y'all
p.s. OFF TOPIC: original EQ (another great ol' game) has a similar thing goin as well. for all those who may be interested; project99.org

Welcome back mate!

Sarabearrah
02-25-2013, 03:27 AM
<---- has been getting her fix on veers.....

laughinghorse
02-25-2013, 03:36 AM
Welcome back mate!

Thx Shubaz, glad to have have the chance to be back

Shadowjack1965
02-25-2013, 04:11 AM
"Is it up yet?"

"No"

"Is it up yet?"

"No"

"Is it...(SMACK!)...okay I'll check back tomorrow morning..."

Avior
02-25-2013, 04:19 AM
<---- has been getting her fix on veers.....

That server isn't really that much fun.

brandnew
02-25-2013, 04:42 AM
good morning.

jstepnowski
02-25-2013, 05:39 AM
I feel sorry for that poor acklay after the servers come back up... it won't know what hit it...

piya
02-25-2013, 05:51 AM
Good morning! So the server will maybe back up today sometime this afternoon! Yay!

isov
02-25-2013, 05:55 AM
I had to actually go outside. How can you expect me to go outside or spend time with my girlfriend when a game like this is back in my life?? BLASPHEMY!

piya
02-25-2013, 06:02 AM
I had to actually go outside. How can you expect me to go outside or spend time with my girlfriend when a game like this is back in my life?? BLASPHEMY!

God forbid.

djay78
02-25-2013, 07:33 AM
if ignorance is bliss why am I not blissful ??

because it isn't bliss, obviously.

djay78
02-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Thx for the offer Gigitty. I'm doing pretty good though. I remember alot from playing years ago. Working up towards an architect on my Main right now.
Already got Harvs planted. I'm just worried about them running out of maintenance before I can get to them again. If the server don't come up soon,
I won't be able to get back to them till tomorrow around 6pm EST. I am not complaining though. How long will they go without Maintenance until
they're destroyed?

not entirely sure thats a thing to brag about, not getting anything done unless the server is on its downtime ^_-
sounds a bit like taking escapism to the extreme to me, & if there is no moderation in escapism when there is already a thin line separating it from being a child still ^_-

djay78
02-25-2013, 07:52 AM
just started myself... once the server is back up I plan on streaming some to Twitch... get the word out about the best MMO ever!

haha yea, in all this time nothing has come close to SwG. the original devs must have been geniuses & the people recreating it close to that too.
i hear people whine on youtube about the graphics, the people must be terminally materialistic or something as to me they are not bad at all - even a decade later

Khalann
02-25-2013, 08:12 AM
First, my prayers have been answered... the REAL and BEST Star Wars game is back (just found the EMU 3 weeks ago).

Second, I cannot say THANK YOU enough to the team of devs who are doing this for all of US. I have been having a blast.

Third, ANY person complaining, whining or otherwise griping about the downtime should be locked in a room with Jar Jar Binks for 6 months.

Our Devs are doing an amazing job restoring this game for us. They have real lives away from the EMU, little things like jobs, spouses and children. They deserve our understanding and PATIENCE when things take a bit longer than expected, especially in light of the volunteer nature of this project. I understand being disappointed if you couldn't get your SWG fix this weekend but please make sure you don't vent your disappointment at our developers. I am sure they want the game up as soon as possible since I am willing to bet they play too!

Pink-Bunny

Khalann
02-25-2013, 08:13 AM
haha yea, in all this time nothing has come close to SwG. the original devs must have been geniuses & the people recreating it close to that too.
i hear people whine on youtube about the graphics, the people must be terminally materialistic or something as to me they are not bad at all - even a decade later

I agree the graphics are pretty good at 30 FPS.

Try it at 60 FPS (there is a mod) - looks awfully damn good!

retto
02-25-2013, 08:14 AM
has it been 24 hours yet ?

Trouvo
02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
bout 4 more hours, it says how long on the home page

piya
02-25-2013, 09:14 AM
bout 4 more hours, it says how long on the home page

We're coming closer! But where exactly did you find a timer? I can't find any.

a63ntorange
02-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Is game time passing atm, or will harvesters etc etc just continue as if nothing happened? I was kinda not prepared for all my harvs to get hit for 24 hours with no maintenance added, that was sundays job to refill them, hehe.

piya
02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
ingame time moves on while the servers are down, but nothing will happen to your harvesters, except maybe they stop.

Trouvo
02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
We're coming closer! But where exactly did you find a timer? I can't find any.

If you click on HOME at the top then look at the SWGEMU server status it will say how long Basilisk has been down

INB4: The SWGEMU server status is on the left side of the HOME page

Vlada
02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Update: TheAnswer not online so i have no idea whats going on.

P.S. Bas is still offline.

piya
02-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Yeah, it says how long it has been down, but not when it will be up again, or are we talking about different windows here?
24h was only an estimation, it's not said it will actually be back up and running then.

ahdinko
02-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Surely at those numbers, if you did 45 gig in 4.5 hours, you're doing about 10 gig an hour right?
So the downtime will be another 14-15 hours or so from this post given that you were are 95gb, 9 hours ago?

Giving a total maintenance window of 34-35 hours

kikaha
02-25-2013, 10:09 AM
the server will not need so much time they never need so they will not need.

piya
02-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Makes sense, but if TheAnswer is handling it all and his interaction is required? Guess we'll just see, time to find something else to keep you busy for the day! I'm re-writing fanfiction and take time for some serious house keeping. Had to be done anyway, and server-down is always a good excuse! ;)

retto
02-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Update: TheAnswer not online so i have no idea whats going on.

P.S. Bas is still offline.

but vlaaaaaaadaaaaa these guys really want to play !

ahdinko
02-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Makes sense, but if TheAnswer is handling it all and his interaction is required? Guess we'll just see, time to find something else to keep you busy for the day! I'm re-writing fanfiction and take time for some serious house keeping. Had to be done anyway, and server-down is always a good excuse! ;)

There's not much interaction to be done with a database shrink. You type a line of code and hit enter (or click a button), and then do something else for a day while it does its thing. He'll probably only need to be back at the end of the shrink process to actually turn the server back on.

CaptTripps
02-25-2013, 10:13 AM

Don't let us hang out in the wind! Where is this mod?! Link is requested

piya
02-25-2013, 10:14 AM
That's what I thought, but Vlada saying he has no idea what's going on - that IS just a tad bit scary! ;-)

Amen!

Vlada
02-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Well its pretty much the same thing, I just dont have any info about the progress.

If i had to guess, we are probably around 60% atm.

Naik0i
02-25-2013, 10:26 AM

It seems the link for it in the guides forum is dead now...Im sure its out there somewhere, and i *may* have it on a jump drive from where i transferred computers not too long ago..Will have to see if i can dig it up.

Edit: http://www.modthegalaxy.com/downloads/uli/Special Client/

Thats the client there. You need to download the .exe and overwrite it with your .exe in your C:\SWGEMU folder and then adjust the user.cfg to say this:

[ClientLimits]SetFramesPerSecond=<number></number>Add that at the end of the user.cfg, you can plug whatever in, but after 60 its really not necessary. Hope that helps!

Rumpels
02-25-2013, 10:39 AM
FYI...I have just downloaded the FPS mod here: http://www.spraticnet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=29920

PLEASE NOTE: although I have unzipped and placed the .exe file in my SWGemu directory...I have NOT tested it yet as the server is down.

piya
02-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks to all of you =)

Trouvo
02-25-2013, 10:57 AM
I know its an estimation but thats the best we can get right now lol

jeyeoh
02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi, the mod for 60fps is working. i test in Nova.

Thank You

synaZaur
02-25-2013, 11:42 AM
where is the user.cfg? is it perhaps because I have not yet made a character on bas that I have no user.cfg?

jeyeoh
02-25-2013, 11:45 AM
its in the swgemu directory, if u dont have the file you can create 1 toon in nova test center to test it.

DarthYuri
02-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Update: TheAnswer not online so i have no idea whats going on. Time to send some bounty hunters find him? :icon_biggrin:

piya
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Time to send some bounty hunters find him? :icon_biggrin:

Hell yeah, a bounty hunter! Let's start fundraising!
Oh, uhm... yeah... cash. I'll go and... yeah, like, buy some cigs. See you later! ;)

Melosa
02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Just wanted to drop the guys who make and run this game a HUGE thank you for all that you are doing to bring this game back to us! I was stuck playing stupid wow because there was no more SWG, and i was miserable! I never liked the CU or NGE and being able to play the game in its' original glory is wonderful. Keep up the great work!

wwwiesel
02-25-2013, 12:31 PM
omg.... i am sick today... please!!!! *genuflection* please bring the server up!!!! ;-)

alexwhead
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I read through a majority of the pages at a glance and did not see a definitive answer on whether or not this would be a wipe?

Can anyone say for sure?

(Mind you this is NOT a complaint! I just started playing 2 days ago and would love to re-play the "launch" of the game again. very exciting for me :P)

Vlada
02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Well my estimate was pretty accurate. We whould be around 65% now.

Avior
02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
I read through a majority of the pages at a glance and did not see a definitive answer on whether or not this would be a wipe?

Can anyone say for sure?

(Mind you this is NOT a complaint! I just started playing 2 days ago and would love to re-play the "launch" of the game again. very exciting for me :P)

I think they would tell us if it was.

wwwiesel
02-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Well my estimate was pretty accurate. We whould be around 65% now.

Ok i'll wait! Keep up the brilliant work! /hug

Clifffitir
02-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I think they would tell us if it was.

Unless someone with a title like Vlada says something. ITS A LIE. No wipes, none of that. Vlada said what was happening a few times now. VERY CLEARLY. Given that you can read english

Clifffitir
02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
" Originally Posted by alexwhead

Can anyone say for sure?

(Mind you this is NOT a complaint! I just started playing 2 days ago and would love to re-play the "launch" of the game again. very exciting for me :P)"

Unless someone with a title like Vlada says something. ITS A LIE. No wipes, none of that. Vlada said what was happening a few times now. VERY CLEARLY. Given that you can read english

Loc-nar
02-25-2013, 12:48 PM
" Originally Posted by alexwhead

Can anyone say for sure?

(Mind you this is NOT a complaint! I just started playing 2 days ago and would love to re-play the "launch" of the game again. very exciting for me :P)"

TA already posted it was not a wipe.

OK, update on the DB reload... Yes its not a backup its a reload, (<~TheAnswer> just dump | load)

You don't reload to do a wipe.

thebunny
02-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Can anyone say for sure?

See below:

retto
02-25-2013, 01:08 PM
so edit 3 = 12 more hours ?

Rumpels
02-25-2013, 01:14 PM
probably closer to 34 hours.

Fixed it for ya Vlada

JeffDHolder
02-25-2013, 01:31 PM
My work days are so very so slow without being able to remote in and play. I work seven days a week, 12 hours a day.......and I do very little at work lol. Looks like it wont be up till shortly after I get home. More solitaire and chess I suppose.

piya
02-25-2013, 01:35 PM
On the good side! Tomorrow things will be alright again! :D

Durstalph
02-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Just hit the 24 hour mark. Just curious, did something go wrong? Or did everyone just grossly underestimate the amount of time this wipe/reload would take? Keep in mind I know little to nothing about servers so I don't know how involved this process is.

piya
02-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Have you read any posts at all? Because like 3 posts before yours it was said that this would take roughly 10 more hours according to the calculation. It was not a wipe either. So: hang on for another day.

Nikaty
02-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Any update would be appreciated. Been hearing 65% done for the past almost 5 hrs. Hopefully it won't be much longer.

ahdinko
02-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Nikaty, it will be another 12 hours or so.

Clifffitir
My work days are so very so slow without being able to remote in and play. I work seven days a week, 12 hours a day.......and I do very little at work lol. Looks like it wont be up till shortly after I get home. More solitaire and chess I suppose.

Looks like youll be working today :P

piya
Yeah, Vlada said it was 65% roughly an hour ago.

retto
02-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Have you read any posts at all? Because like 3 posts before yours it was said that this would take roughly 10 more hours according to the calculation. .

can you quote the thread that said this ? i dont recall seeing anything like this

brandnew
02-25-2013, 02:08 PM
can you quote the thread that said this ? i dont recall seeing anything like this

frontpage say kinda open end event
wellcome

Durstalph
Have you read any posts at all? Because like 3 posts before yours it was said that this would take roughly 10 more hours according to the calculation. It was not a wipe either. So: hang on for another day.

You're right, its not a wipe, sorry looked at the wrong post. And yes I did read the thread, but I didn't ask about an Eta, I asked if there was a technical problem, or just a severe underestimation of the amount of time needed.

RogueOne
Some peoples impatience is startling. Stop hitting F5, get dressed and go outside for a little. Bring a book with you. If it's too cold, watch a movie or visit a friend. The game will be here when you get back. Everyone asking for updates isn't going to make it go faster. I'm sure there is a long progress bar that's creeping it's way up to 100%. No one can make it run faster. If you really want to, donate a ton of money to buy new server equipment with SSD raid arrays then this will go much quicker haha

retto
02-25-2013, 02:09 PM
frontpage say kinda open end event
wellcome

no idea what youre trying to say here ..

brandnew
02-25-2013, 02:10 PM
no idea what youre trying to say here ..

sorry i cant say better.
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php

Adack
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM

You should hop on that wagon, get on galaxy harvester right now and post a 995oq/820sr rori wooly hide. :P

Stradoo
02-25-2013, 02:21 PM

EDIT: Found answer few pages back...

Durstalph
02-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Some peoples impatience is startling. Stop hitting F5, get dressed and go outside for a little. Bring a book with you. If it's too cold, watch a movie or visit a friend. The game will be here when you get back. Everyone asking for updates isn't going to make it go faster. I'm sure there is a long progress bar that's creeping it's way up to 100%. No one can make it run faster. If you really want to, donate a ton of money to buy new server equipment with SSD raid arrays then this will go much quicker haha

Hmm, good idea, I have been meaning to re-read the whole Song of Ice and Fire series, now is as good a time as any to get started.

Also, I plan to donate as soon as I get paid, and I thought their finances thread said they had a $10k surplus at the moment, how much would that new server equipment cost?

Vlada
02-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Nothing has changed, we are pretty much where we were when i posed the last update. Things have slowed down considerably.

dragnauct
02-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Was looking forward to farming more Mova iron today. :(

Gigitty
02-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Clean all the drinks and food items from your desk.

Do the laundry that we all know needs to be done.

Shovel the driveway/walkway

Clean your computer of all the porn you downloaded in the past 24 hours.

Cook a real meal for yourself.

Build an igloo ( I did!)

Show your girlfriend/boyfriend some affection.

Play with your animals.

Go help homeless people

Do your homework.

Stop hitting refresh every 10 minutes hoping some miracle happened and the last 160GB is done.

See you all around 10pm tonight.

Gutboy Barrelhouse
02-25-2013, 03:02 PM

I would like to thank you for your service in making the iphone and other quality Apple products many of us use daily!

roebacca
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Hey guys, I can appreciate the fun you have dealing with large datasets. I am a Network Administrator, and manage 40+ servers spread through 16 locations.

We have some rather large SQL instances and have seen rebuilds take extended periods. Although, I deal in a business that requires high uptimes and never have more that a hour or two at a time for outages. This requires our setup to be redundant and have extra hardware to handle load while we take some equipment down for preventative maintenance. The cost of such things would drive the monthly project through the proverbial roof!

I salute you guys for all the hard work, and offer my assistance if you ever need someone to bounce ideas off.

Quigster
02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Contact Rafon or Squiddly when we get back in and i will help you.

Akoz
02-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Anyone know what kinda of hardware the server is running on? I may have access to a couple SCSI Drives.

I don't know code/game developing but I know my computer/server hardware :)

roebacca
02-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Anyone know what kinda of hardware the server is running on? I may have access to a couple SCSI Drives.

I believe this is what your looking for.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66927&highlight=basilisk+hardware

jstepnowski
02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Stop hitting refresh every 10 minutes hoping some miracle happened and the last 160GB is done.

my face when

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/vrv5w.jpg

Nann
02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the hard work that you guys do to keep the best game ever going:) Does anyone know the if CH will be working soon?

piya
02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Clean all the drinks and food items from your desk.

Do the laundry that we all know needs to be done.

Shovel the driveway/walkway

Cook a real meal for yourself.

Build an igloo ( I did!)

Show your girlfriend/boyfriend some affection.

Play with your animals.

Go help homeless people

Do your homework.

See you all around 10pm tonight.

Already did most of that plus some additional things I'd like to add:

-- Take your dog out for a REAL long walk, we all know that hasn't happened in a while. Take them to a forest or just out of town, and let them run for good.

-- Call your mom/dad/gramps and wish them a great day. Hear what they have been up to last weekend. If you are just a little bit like me, you haven't talked to any family members in weeks.

-- Clear the trash.

-- Go and grab the nearest vacuum cleaner and use it! It works like a charm.

-- Shut facebook off and face a book!

-- Clean the hamster's cage. Alternatively clean the rat's cage, or mice, or guinea pig, or rabbit or whatever critter you have. Aquarium counts too. Long time since you changed part of the water and removed the green goo from the all the hidden corners, wasn't it?

-- Change bedsheets, and do all the annoying little time-consuming things you usually don't do, but that should be done at some point.

Enjoy ;)

Gigitty
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all the hard work that you guys do to keep the best game ever going:) Does anyone know the if CH will be working soon?

Eventually.

Valkyra
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
But IRL is difficult... :(

ahdinko
02-25-2013, 03:20 PM

Database runs on 2 x 400GB SSD drives (probably in raid 1)
They also have 2x 1TB SATA 7.2k disks (probably also in raid 1)

I'm guessing the server is a DL380 G7 meaning you'd need SAS drives rather than SCSI

Disks aren't the bottleneck here though. Even at what I'd call minimum transfer speed for 7.2k disks (60mb/s), the job should have been done in 3 hours, so it means something else is the limitation.

Gigitty
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Already did most of that plus some additional things I'd like to add:

-- Clean the hamster's cage. Alternatively clean the rat's cage, or mice, or guinea pig, or rabbit or whatever critter you have. Aquarium counts too. Long time since you changed part of the water and removed the green goo from the all the hidden corners, wasn't it?

Enjoy ;)

About that... This week I was in Las Vegas, and I got a call from my house sitter....

My Chinese Dwarf Hamster died :( I'm not mad, but when My daughter comes over and sees her best friend is gone. I'm fu**ed.

I still don't understand how the little guy died, its 70 degrees in the house, he always has food and water and clean cage..

Maybe my cat grew thumbs and let the hamster out.

Pronoes
02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
****, you can copy between disks? Think they were copying onto floppies and transferring from one to another. Last I heard, TheAnswer had to run out and get a new floppy drive because he broke it.

ahdinko
02-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Well if transfer rate is the limitation right now, we're running at speeds equal to mid 90's ZIP disks.

Akoz
02-25-2013, 03:31 PM
I didn't think speed was the limitation but he was clearing room which dictated having to do this, so thought I could offer more ROOM :)

But I see how this is a "Hosted" box so it's not really "upgradeable"

Was worth a shot.

Gigitty
02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
If anyone cannot think of something to do, and you want to keep playing games.

Feel free to hop on my Minecraft Server. just PM me for info.

I'd love to play some Halo 4, Haven't played since the Virgin Mobile Infinity Challenge.

crazydavey69
02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Well if transfer rate is the limitation right now, we're running at speeds equal to mid 90's ZIP disks.
Heh, I still have some 100 meg zip disks around here.... Even have the external zip drive still......I should use this time to find a usb cable and test it out!

ahdinko
02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I didn't think speed was the limitation but he was clearing room which dictated having to do this, so thought I could offer more ROOM :)

But I see how this is a "Hosted" box so it's not really "upgradeable"

Was worth a shot.

Oh, sorry, I meant the limitation in the speed of this process. Yes, lack of available space on the SSD's is likely why they're doing this whole thing. Unfortunately bigger ones of those cost several thousand dollars each, and they would need at least two.

roebacca
02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
I'd venture a guess that the issue is iops not transfer speed. Without getting into too much detail, the SSD disks have that in abundance but the sata disks which (I assume) they are reloading from are only good for about ~150 iops. The reload process is iops intensive and as such will reduce transfer speed to a crawl.

ahdinko
02-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I imagine he's dumping from the ssd's to the sata hdd's. Then he'll boot the server from the sata hdd's to test the shrunk database has worked, and if so copy it back over to the SSD's, overwiting the old DB. Its should be sequential write though which you can do decent speeds on the sata disks. Its random read/write that suffers.

bcsscb2
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
25 hours and counting. I understand it's maintenance but, I'm starting to feel like I did back in the day. As the server lay dormant to me and not knowing what little things might be lurking on the other side, I can't help but wonder, once again, "What is going to be broken when they finally DO bring the servers back up? What did they break during the "fix"? How long will it be taken back down to correct those mistakes? And how long will it take to correct THOSE mistakes after that? Am I going to be rubberbanding everywhere? Will I have to do the last 2 hours of XP grinding again because they rolled it back? What did they break now?!" But that was when SoE was running it, right? ....Right??

Shadowjack1965
02-25-2013, 03:44 PM

That would take longer than the Basilisk server restore... :-/

Stradoo
02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
If anyone cannot think of something to do, and you want to keep playing games.

Feel free to hop on my Minecraft Server. just PM me for info.

I'd love to play some Halo 4, Haven't played since the Virgin Mobile Infinity Challenge.

My Xbox has done nothing but collect dust since I logged into the EMU 3 or so weeks ago. :)

Edwoki
02-25-2013, 03:46 PM
25 hours and counting. I understand it's maintenance but, I'm starting to feel like I did back in the day. As the server lay dormant to me and not knowing what little things might be lurking on the other side, I can't help but wonder, once again, "What is going to be broken when they finally DO bring the servers back up? What did they break during the "fix"? How long will it be taken back down to correct those mistakes? And how long will it take to correct THOSE mistakes after that? Am I going to be rubberbanding everywhere? Will I have to do the last 2 hours of XP grinding again because they rolled it back? What did they break now?!" But that was when SoE was running it, right? ....Right??

Doesn't matter. You had a reason to worry about it with SOE because you were paying to worry about it. This is free, and people are working out of dedication and passion. They don't get paid. Don't worry about it.

Stradoo
02-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Yah bro. That was SoE. Kick back, relax... put your feet up.. :)

Gigitty
02-25-2013, 03:50 PM
If this truly is a hardware issue. Then I think it us up to us (the players) to do something about it.

I personally don't know much about server hardware, but 2.00ghz seems prehistoric to me. My computer is currently running at 4.6 ghz.

Maybe we could do an in-game event, like a booster or a fundraiser. With pledges or something. We could hold a marathon gaming session, and have 10-15 players play, and the others will make pledges per hour played.

Example
10 players played for 20 hours.
1 pledge per player of 10cents.
(20h * .10c ) * 10= 20$

With 10 players playing and 1000 .10 cent pledges, and 20 hours played.... That's 2000$ roughly at a cost of 2$ per pledge.

It is on the low end, but this could be a big thing for us. And even start to get more players/programmer/developers out of it.
We could stream it on twitch or other gaming channels. As well has host a chat for people who are watching to comment.

piya
02-25-2013, 03:50 PM
About that... This week I was in Las Vegas, and I got a call from my house sitter....

My Chinese Dwarf Hamster died :( I'm not mad, but when My daughter comes over and sees her best friend is gone. I'm fu**ed.

I still don't understand how the little guy died, its 70 degrees in the house, he always has food and water and clean cage..

Maybe my cat grew thumbs and let the hamster out.

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've had my last hamster like 20 years ago when I just started school. It died young from a brain tumor and I was absolutely sad. Sadly cancer is a very common fate for all kinds of small animals, especially hamsters, mice and rats. I had rats for the past 10 years and lost a couple to this. You never know, sometimes it just happens. It might have gotten to yours, too. There are a lot of things you can't influence, even with the best care.

Sorry, sorry!
/comfort>Daughter.

Gigitty
02-25-2013, 03:51 PM
My Xbox has done nothing but collect dust since I logged into the EMU 3 or so weeks ago. :)

Same with mine, And i just got a new headset too.

It rarely gets turned on. But today might be the day.... Unless I decide to add more on to my igloo.

roebacca
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I imagine he's dumping from the ssd's to the sata hdd's. Then he'll boot the server from the sata hdd's to test the shrunk database has worked, and if so copy it back over to the SSD's, overwiting the old DB. Its should be sequential write though which you can do decent speeds on the sata disks. Its random read/write that suffers.

I'd imagine that there in the reload process. The dump was probably quick. The reload is reading from sata drives and probably small IOs, even if their sequential, will quickly become io bound before getting anywhere close to the theoretical max drive speed on a sata disk.

Again, my statements are making assumptions and I have no particular knowledge of the Emu's software/hardware configs. Just based on my 12+ years in server administration.

Gigitty
02-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've had my last hamster like 20 years ago when I just started school. It died young from a brain tumor and I was absolutely sad. Sadly cancer is a very common fate for all kinds of small animals, especially hamsters, mice and rats. I had rats for the past 10 years and lost a couple to this. You never know, sometimes it just happens. It might have gotten to yours, too. There are a lot of things you can't influence, even with the best care.

Sorry, sorry!
/comfort>Daughter.

I was unaware that cancer was so prominent in small rodents, But it makes me feel better. I wasn't sure if my house sitter did something or not. But I need to think of a story to tell my daughter.

roebacca
02-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I personally don't know much about server hardware, but 2.00ghz seems prehistoric to me. My computer is currently running at 4.6 ghz.

Yes it 2.0Ghz, but you cannot relate that to a desktop. This server has 2 Processors with 6 cores each running at 2Ghz. Its is running on current comodidty server hardware. Also, the current process is limited by the disk subsystem not the CPU anyway.

Clifffitir
02-25-2013, 03:58 PM

How can you complain when these people are putting their "Play time" in life into doing this for us to enjoy in our "play time". Even if the server was down for a week youd have no right to complain. Its free. They also have lives..unlike some people it seems....who have nothing better but to sit here and act like its the end of the world. A few days without SWG is better then the years we lived without it after CU. So until you are putting your spare time into doing the EMU project. Dont complain.

Gigitty
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Yes it 2.0Ghz, but you cannot relate that to a desktop. This server has 2 Processors with 6 cores each running at 2Ghz. Its is running on current comodidty server hardware. Also, the current process is limited by the disk subsystem not the CPU anyway.

Ok, yeah I couldn't imagine the server only being clocked at 2.0. I guess I really don't know anything about servers :P Never bothered to look into it.
Thanks tho.

Gigitty
02-25-2013, 04:01 PM
How can you complain when these people are putting their "Play time" in life into doing this for us to enjoy in our "play time". Even if the server was down for a week youd have no right to complain. Its free. They also have lives..unlike some people it seems....who have nothing better but to sit here and act like its the end of the world. A few days without SWG is better then the years we lived without it after CU. So until you are putting your spare time into doing the EMU project. Dont complain.

Was going to respond, but you took the words out of my mouth.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

The anger coming from some people or the disrespect towards the team is disgusting. I think that the Team
does a SPECF*CKINGTACULAR job of running this server, and giving us the game we all love. They are people too, and they do more for us, than some of us do for us.

So stop *****ing and find something constructive to do.

Don't like downtimes? Go pay 15 a month to play a bad game like WoW.

roebacca
02-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Ok, yeah I couldn't imagine the server only being clocked at 2.0. I guess I really don't know anything about servers :P Never bothered to look into it.
Thanks tho.

NP, its what I do for a living. I manage many such servers and love my job. If not the stress that come with situations like this. Ya know, this one time....

jk, wont bore you with war stories from the IT world.

JeffDHolder
02-25-2013, 04:08 PM
4.5 Hours into my 12 hour shift. Everything is done. I only have to deal with people passing by and randomly asking for access to areas or permission to do things. I am now on my third episode of Stargate, second chess game, opened a new bank account, browsed a vast majority of reddit, ate a granola bar. (Oh, and I am patching SWTOR, I think this makes me some sort of sinner...)