PDA

View Full Version : SWGEmu Timeline

Pages : 1 [2]

Starscream83
11-27-2012, 02:09 PM
......... But since its launch will mark the beaning of a permanent live game, i think making everyone start over is the best and the safest way to make sure everyone is treated equally from day one.

I'd never considered that point of view to be honest, but now that I have I think it would be for the best; not that you guys need any approval from the likes of me :P

doublex
11-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I just jumped in a few days ago and fell in love all over again. Thanks for the effort and I have also pledged a monthly to help keep thing moving forward. =D

bolahubbs
11-28-2012, 08:54 PM
I just purchased another gaming computer in spite of SWGEMU entering Alpha.... Hopefully this game comes out before I go to college. I'm beyond siked for the release of this game.

Instapeace
12-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Is there an official thread or something for those of us who want to participate in the official launch? Rolling, and re-rolling, and re-rolling during testing, server wipes, new servers etc etc, doesn't appeal to alot of people including myself. Where can people who read these forums go to get the time when the final product or official servers get launched. I'm not interested in starting fresh more than once.

Vlada
12-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Is there an official thread or something for those of us who want to participate in the official launch? Rolling, and re-rolling, and re-rolling during testing, server wipes, new servers etc etc, doesn't appeal to alot of people including myself. Where can people who read these forums go to get the time when the final product or official servers get launched. I'm not interested in starting fresh more than once.

Such a thing doesn't exist.

Lobreeze
12-03-2012, 10:30 PM
im not interested in supporting in any way i just want a finished product

is there a service that can facebook/twitter/sms/call me when project is done?

Thanks.

Vlada
12-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Try http://www.suncrusher-2009.com/

Storm Raven
12-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I smell a joke here.

stevestz
12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys for the awesome work... ill be sure to make lots of fireworks when its coming to 1.0 so that all my old mates can come back to play :)

xirad
12-15-2012, 01:12 PM
I know there are lots of concerns from folks about server wipes and their reluctance to have to start over, possibly more than once before the future 1.0 release, but those who have played SWG know that the game is all about the "grind". Love the journey, not the destination. Plus with each wipe you'll be more skilled with how best to restart your toon(s) an amass mats, credits, xp, whatever, in the quickest way possible so with the 1.0 release you'll quickly be ahead of the crowd.

AND, realize that just by playing (donations are nice too!) you're helping to bring that 1.0 launch date ever so closer. I've been playing regularly for several weeks now and it's hard to remind myself this is just an alpha build. It's stable and there are an amazing number of players on. The cantinas are always packed and it's not unusual to be out on a hunt and see another player cross your path.

So don't delay, play TODAY!

Wayne

Ashes
12-20-2012, 03:40 PM
I agree with Wayne. A lot of this game is remembering the many hours spent crafting, harvesting, killing mobs. Late last night, I went to Dantooine for the first time since finding this. Today I rode my speeder on a little journey back through time and found the location where I had my dwelling and a lil swimming hole. Many a night i sat there on the 'porch' with Smokie my Corellian Razor Cat. Funny, it's only a game in a virtual world, but I miss that cat. He and I had many an adventure and traveled the galaxy. He was a good friend. :)

Thank you, Developers, for giving us the gift of memories and the promise of new adventures to come.

Ashes

mediaflare
12-22-2012, 05:00 PM
man, about two or three months ago, my computer broke and i haven't been on since. i'm so exited and curious to see what changed in that simple time-gap. It was fun enough logging on and seeing what changed after every time the server is turned back on!

Romko
12-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Merry Christmas!

Jaque
12-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Hello World

I have been playing emu for many moons now, i have had my account wiped over and over, Its no big deal. Playing the most awwwwsome mmo ever created is what this is all about. We one day will have our dreams of PreCu fullfilled. And i will again return if we need to wipe the server again, there is no mmo out there that measures up to what swg has to offer. Thank you to those that spend so many hours tweaking the code and fine tunning my world. ( I shall return Bigger, Better, Faster than each time before.)

ssbkalidore
01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Hello World

I have been playing emu for many moons now, i have had my account wiped over and over, Its no big deal. Playing the most awwwwsome mmo ever created is what this is all about. We one day will have our dreams of PreCu fullfilled. And i will again return if we need to wipe the server again, there is no mmo out there that measures up to what swg has to offer. Thank you to those that spend so many hours tweaking the code and fine tunning my world. ( I shall return Bigger, Better, Faster than each time before.)

Well said! I just discovered this place. Loving it. Brings back some great memories when I first bought the Special Edition Game Box and drove home to install. Spent all my game time in SWG up until the NGE... curse that day!!

Thanks for the hard work guys. Will be donating to the kitty every month to help keep the costs down.

Opiam
01-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Logged in for the first time last night. Literally had a tear in my eye. SWG was my first mmo and the hour i spent on brought back so many memories. thanks devs. Will be donating and supporting you folks all the way. And wipes are no biggie. Small price to pay for the work you are doing.

wulfy27
01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Logged in for the first time last night. Literally had a tear in my eye. SWG was my first mmo and the hour i spent on brought back so many memories. thanks devs. Will be donating and supporting you folks all the way. And wipes are no biggie. Small price to pay for the work you are doing.

Yup! Exactly!!:wootgb6:

jayinwizzy
01-05-2013, 11:48 PM
please wipe the server soon and only allow for one login at a time per account, this multiple account login is ruining the emu with all the afk'rs and people who have their alt on follow to kill high-end mob. Will make the game so much better!! Id be inclined to donate more $$ if only one login was allowed at a time, makes the game progress more naturally and slower.

Redlancer9
01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
i squeeled a little when i started it up.....

Pershing
01-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Please pardon me on all this but what is this new's about? Seem's like alot of people are happy and I dont quite understand what's happening in the tittled artical... any one care to explain?

Snojow
01-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Please pardon me on all this but what is this new's about? Seem's like alot of people are happy and I dont quite understand what's happening in the tittled artical... any one care to explain?

Well Pershing, it used to be a bit of a schedule, which we've never really had before so it was exciting, but now I think it's turned into a bunch of people sharing their general excitement about the awesomeness of SWGEmu. I'm excited too! Keep up the great work everyone! You guys are making dreams come true :)

Pershing
01-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes I have noticed it's a schedule but.. what's on it that make's it significant?

Snojow
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
It was significant because a real timeline or schedule had never been released before. It's forward progress. It's not too significant anymore because all these dates are from last year and have already happened, but it was exciting back then!

Telex
01-10-2013, 12:59 AM
It was significant because a real timeline or schedule had never been released before. It's forward progress. It's not too significant anymore because all these dates are from last year and have already happened, but it was exciting back then!

I would really like to see an update to a timeline. Well, at least milestones up to when we can expect progression up to CH testing, which feels like it's been forever already.

Snojow
01-10-2013, 06:05 AM
I would really like to see an update to a timeline. Well, at least milestones up to when we can expect progression up to CH testing, which feels like it's been forever already.

I think we all would! But one step at a time. Sometimes, they may be very very small steps. But as frustrating as it is for us to wait without knowing, these guys all volunteer and are probably 100000x more frustrated than us sometimes, so I give them lots of credit! I'm just excited for when JTL will be implemented (looooong way away, but I can dream, eh? :P)

windsorftw
01-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Ok, sorry if I sound like a noob here, but I've been checking this forum and project out for a very very long time now, on and off. Is there an updated timeline anywhere? I can't seem to find anything remotely close to it.
Which phase is the project at? Will Basilisk be wiped again in the future? Thanks for any info.

scarlet_speedster
01-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Well, from what I can tell, It's going to be hard to put an actual timeline date on whats going on in the coding/debugging stage. They are just stress testing and working out all the bugs, which could take who knows how long. All we can do now is keep helping the test, report any bugs to speed up the process, and trust that someday soon, the True Server will be ready to impliment. Then all our dreams will have come true. Also, in a side note, Thank you devs for all your hard work. I know you could never get thanked enough for what you do.

Superjebus
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Will Basilisk be wiped again in the future? Thanks for any info.
You can find the answer to that in the first post of this thread.
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36067
Oh wait, thats this thread.............
/eyetwitch

Telex
01-13-2013, 04:48 AM
Well, from what I can tell, It's going to be hard to put an actual timeline date on whats going on in the coding/debugging stage. They are just stress testing and working out all the bugs, which could take who knows how long. All we can do now is keep helping the test, report any bugs to speed up the process, and trust that someday soon, the True Server will be ready to impliment. Then all our dreams will have come true. Also, in a side note, Thank you devs for all your hard work. I know you could never get thanked enough for what you do.

You can have timelines, as most projects do. You basically look at your resources, and make a hypothesis of what you can accomplish in a certain amount of time, and set goals. They did it before already. If you don't meet the goal, guess what, it's not the end of the world, especially with this being a complete donation driven project. If you they do proceed and update their timeline, they would have something to be achieved, and the community knows their expectations.

Also, I do give them a huge amount of credit and I am extremely grateful for what they have already finalized. I think they get thanked an awful lot here, and even more so than the SOE creative/development teams ever did.

Trouvo
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Timeline, schminelime, even in alpha it is still amazing, and this is my first time on pre-cu, i love all the work that they have done. But most of all, like any mmo, i love the community, it is such an amazing difference from so many other mmos, where this community feels welcoming, caring, and helpful, not only on the forums but even the guild I found (La-Fey). I know that only a player can truly understand that it is the community that makes or breaks an MMO, and it is such an amazing feat that not only how much like family it feels in this community, but it is also the community that is making the game even possible via the development standpoint.

I just want to say thank you, not only to the devs, the qa's, the admins, the mods, but even to the player that just joined 5mins ago, everyone of you make this game and this community what it is.

gtrsamurai
01-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Amazing...just amazing!

crowman
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
The future holds some brilliant amazing things! :)

huzzman090
01-30-2013, 02:22 PM
I have been here off and on since early in the Emulator and considering what was done the first couple years and what has been done in the last 6 month I have one word to describe the last 6 month AMAZING, EMU team keep up the awsome work.

Travis Bickle
02-12-2013, 09:21 AM
So happy to see the project still continuing strong, keep up the good work guys!

jkm4201
02-12-2013, 04:24 PM
It's just not feasible to attempt to announce any ETAs or Timelines at this particular juncture folks, progression comes at each individuals own pace, could be tomorrow, could be next spring, it's just impossible to offer anything significant or accurate to the community at this point. I, like many of you would love nothing more than to wake up tomorrow, check the updates and find out we're going into Beta testing and preparing for release, however we have to be realistic about things and instead focus on keeping positive and moving things forward as time allows.

Morial Tomiras
02-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Outstanding!

Levrouige
02-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Good Job! Good Job!

tuckrr
02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
It's just not feasible to attempt to announce any ETAs or Timelines at this particular juncture folks, progression comes at each individuals own pace, could be tomorrow, could be next spring, it's just impossible to offer anything significant or accurate to the community at this point. I, like many of you would love nothing more than to wake up tomorrow, check the updates and find out we're going into Beta testing and preparing for release, however we have to be realistic about things and instead focus on keeping positive and moving things forward as time allows.

I work in game development myself (obviously not on this project), and I have found that deadlines/ETAs can be very helpful. It can make sure the milestones are reached (as long as the time allotted is reasonable)

What are your thoughts on this? Obviously its a unique project with its own culture/style, and is open source. Also, different people work different ways...but from personal experience, I would say ETAs can be helpful for the development process.

Chri
02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I work in game development myself (obviously not on this project), and I have found that deadlines/ETAs can be very helpful. It can make sure the milestones are reached (as long as the time allotted is reasonable)

What are your thoughts on this? Obviously its a unique project with its own culture/style, and is open source. Also, different people work different ways...but from personal experience, I would say ETAs can be helpful for the development process.

a personally set ETA is one thing, but saying project x will be done by Z date would force the devs to give up their daily lives. If they were getting paid to write the code, i bet we would have hundreds of ETA's. But since this is volunteer, a public ETA wouldn't really work.

msimmons
02-18-2013, 04:09 PM
a personally set ETA is one thing, but saying project x will be done by Z date would force the devs to give up their daily lives. If they were getting paid to write the code, i bet we would have hundreds of ETA's. But since this is volunteer, a public ETA wouldn't really work.
I think this is what so many people are forgetting. The SWGEmu isn't being done by a company with profit margins, and we should all be grateful it is being done at all.

Psyfer
02-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Release - The release software development phase is when a software is thought to be good enough for deployment. This means that the software will be packaged and ready for use by the general public to fuel their own servers, and it will be deemed stable and complete.

does this mean that there is going to be a server package or even a option to play lan games on private server ??

thanks kinda new to this

pstrawberrie
02-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Good to know, thanks ^_-

bbilbro
02-25-2013, 12:52 PM

Were any of the projects that you worked on solely based upon volunteer resources?

bbilbro
02-25-2013, 12:55 PM
SWGEmu Timeline

May, 2012
The SWGEmu Team

Since the EoL and Pre-Alpha Basilisk launch was announced there has been a lot of rumors flying around about what is going to happen and when. To avoid any further confusion and to set communities mind at ease we are releasing this timetable.

May 14th - Liberator offline and wiped. TC: Nova offline. Basilisk launched for stress testing.

May 21st - TC: Nova online and opened to public testing again.

June 11th - Basilisk testing phase complete. Basilisk wiped and becomes play server. Basilisk will persist through Alpha and Beta development phase.

Sometime in far future - Basilisk wiped. Release developmental milestone reached. SunCrusher launched without threat of wipe, ever.

Since this is a development project and unexpected things can happen, DB wipes are always a possibility. Of course we will try to avoid this at any cost and when possible just wipe a single type of item, if required at all.

Alpha, Beta, and Release are phases of development, and should not be confused for part of the galaxy (server) name. They simply refer to what state the software is in that runs the server.

Basilisk play server - SWGEmu server that will exist through our Alpha and Beta development phase (not to be confused with complete, permanent play servers)
Alpha - The alpha software development phase is the stage where all features are in the process of being implemented. When it begins, there may be many missing features, but by its end, all major features should be implemented.

Beta - The beta software development phase is marked by the implementation of all major features. During this phase, the primary focus of software development is to fix any and all bugs, as well as implement content that expands upon the major features from Alpha.
Release - The release software development phase is when a software is thought to be good enough for deployment. This means that the software will be packaged and ready for use by the general public to fuel their own servers, and it will be deemed stable and complete.

PLEASE NOTE: Because this is a volunteer project, some delays or minor changes on the timetable are still possible.

~ The SWGEmu Team

This is a great post but at some point in time in the year, this post will be confusing to new / fairly new people since it doesn't have the year noted. Might be worth adding the year after the dates.

cerventi77
02-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I work in game development myself.

There is the crux of the matter.

This isn't a job rather something a bunch of amazing people have given up their own time to bring us.

cometus
02-25-2013, 03:23 PM
The time and effort of the SWGEMU team are very much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

diqface
03-18-2013, 02:31 AM
Every time I log in, I am baffled that this whole project was created by fellow gamers who were so passionate about SWG (Pre-CU) that they built it all again from scratch. I think this is the best MMORPG that ever existed. I was so upset when they shut the original down, because I never even got to play it. The developers didn't even know how important SWGEmu would become, they just wanted to preserve Pre-CU gameplay. Thanks to everyone working on this project and to everyone donating to keep it alive. As soon as I get a job and can budget it, I will give all I can. I think this is the best idea ever, and I'm excited to see where it's going to go. I hope we can get to 1.0 quickly, although the game is already well worth playing. I can't wait for this to take off and grow.

Heardmee
03-22-2013, 02:16 PM
SWGEmu Timeline

May, 2012
The SWGEmu Team

Alpha, Beta, and Release are phases of development, and should not be confused for part of the galaxy (server) name. They simply refer to what state the software is in that runs the server.

Basilisk play server - SWGEmu server that will exist through our Alpha and Beta development phase (not to be confused with complete, permanent play servers)
Alpha - The alpha software development phase is the stage where all features are in the process of being implemented. When it begins, there may be many missing features, but by its end, all major features should be implemented.

Beta - The beta software development phase is marked by the implementation of all major features. During this phase, the primary focus of software development is to fix any and all bugs, as well as implement content that expands upon the major features from Alpha.

PLEASE NOTE: Because this is a volunteer project, some delays or minor changes on the timetable are still possible.

~ The SWGEmu Team

So to clarify...

As of now BASILISK is in the B E T A stage of development, as described above ^^^ ? ? ?

Mal_Dawnfire
03-22-2013, 09:11 PM
I think professions could be considered as a "major feature" and don't believe that the AI, nor CH are in at the moment so I'd place my bet on it still being Alpha until otherwise told.

Darth Nautas
03-24-2013, 08:37 PM
So to clarify...

As of now BASILISK is in the B E T A stage of development, as described above ^^^ ? ? ?

Nope, still alpha.

There are at least two non-working professions and nothing has been done (yet) with JTL. Both are major features that need to be, at the very least, skeleton-implemented to consider the project even early-beta.

Both Droid Engineer and Creature Handler depend on an AI module that governs tamed creatures and droids, so when said AI is done, there will be developments on both professions. As for JTL, you'd need a minimum of three working ships (Empire, Rebellion and Neutral) so another missing profession (Pilot) can be established and tested.

In the meantime, enjoy everything that is already working, or go to Nova and lend a hand on testing new features. This may help to bring features faster, and we all be grateful.

Dynamomaximo
03-27-2013, 06:40 AM
i would just like to say, that even with a impending wipe, its just amazing to be able to play this the proper way again. The people working on this are amazing. You have my eternal gratitude. You've gotten me away from swtor and back to a time when i enjoyed games instead of just playing them because they have light sabers in them. May you all feast forever in the halls of Valhalla.

gurluas2000
04-01-2013, 05:04 AM
JTL is not part of the standard SWG though, it was an expansion.

nerosan
04-01-2013, 03:57 PM
JTL is not part of the standard SWG though, it was an expansion.

However JTL was already in the game before Publish 14, so under the current plan, it will be included in the final release.

gurluas2000
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
However JTL was already in the game before Publish 14, so under the current plan, it will be included in the final release.

Yep, but it shouldn't be the highest priority, the game worked perfectly before JTL.

Evalissa
04-04-2013, 03:09 AM
yea id rather the game release sooner without JTL than later with, no reason to hold it back JUST for that

banksy23
04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Can't wait for full release with JTL :)

jakelhart
04-04-2013, 04:33 PM
for me either way on jtl I am just glad to see the project going so well

jla781
04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
for me either way on jtl I am just glad to see the project going so well

In reading I haven't seen a "Basillik" wipe date yet...has one been released?

Vlada
04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
In reading I haven't seen a "Basillik" wipe date yet...has one been released?

No.

chayn
04-04-2013, 09:57 PM
yea id rather the game release sooner without JTL than later with, no reason to hold it back JUST for that

I'm up with that.... :)

CliffAscent
04-05-2013, 02:31 AM
I personally only play SWG for JTL, but I say go with whatever gets the game to a no wipe situation the soonest, so at least I can start gathering my resources :-)

gurluas
04-05-2013, 07:12 PM
I like JTL, but I don't think the emu should be delayed to integrate JTL, it can always be done later on.

Kethrus
04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Personally I really only played SWG once JTL was implemented, I still leveled up to master BH and had a decked out firespray. But I really didn't have the best guild or group of friends for ground combat so we resorted to space battles. My YT-1300 had some of the best modules on it so when we went into the conflict zone we had a blast. Doing strafing runs on the rebel outpost and having 30+ guild fights.. So much fun. I dont think that the game should be delayed for JTL. Have it as an expansion like the old one was. But I do think it should be a priority after it is released.

Hodo
04-07-2013, 11:42 PM
JTL, came out after I left. But I can say, if it is added, they should do it AFTER they finish the main SWG game first. Get every class working in the original SWG working before you layer on more unfinished and half completed content.

athanson21
04-09-2013, 07:26 PM

I would tend to agree.

civic_tiger
04-11-2013, 02:29 AM
Am I right in thinking that there won't be a wipe from now on until release?

Or will there be a wipe after alpha?

fverret
04-11-2013, 04:06 AM
There will definitely be a wipe before the 1.0 release. There might be one for beta too, but that is unknown.

misonsyas
04-15-2013, 06:20 PM
I would love to get an official response about that. I have many friends that would start playing once everything is in place when beta starts. I am sure they would like to start on a "fresh" beta server...

RedhatJames
04-15-2013, 06:41 PM
I aplaud this thread a nice one =D. We are already have a load of fun running Events. Cant wait till all features are implimented to test on Beta. cheers m8

Reaps
04-15-2013, 07:59 PM
I just wish they would put proper lair spawning. I ran around for hours last night trying to level and there were no random lairs that i could find. There are no low level mobs around the city other than meatlumps. Some of the mobs aren't attackable.

Other than that they are doing a phenomenal job.

OperativeLoop
04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
I just wish they would put proper lair spawning. I ran around for hours last night trying to level and there were no random lairs that i could find. There are no low level mobs around the city other than meatlumps. Some of the mobs aren't attackable.

You can always grab missions of the difficulty you need. If you can't see ones that are high enough, just group with some people with combat professions and the level will go up. There are solo groups running out of major cantinas all over the galaxy.

A common practice is to grab two missions in the same direction and while you are on your way to them stop at any other lairs you see that would be good xp for you.

Or you could just go to an area that has denser lair spawns, Yavin and Dantooine come to mind. There are random lair spawns on Bas, lots of them in some places, maybe you were just looking in the wrong area. You could also go to one of the populated POIs and just kill the static spawns there.

Nirriti
04-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Greetings all! I stumbled upon SWGEMU quite by accident and couldn't believe my luck. I just read this whole thread and am very impressed with everything I've seen. Sounds like a great community on every front. I got on Amazon yesterday and ordered An Empire Divided for about $20. Not so bad IMO.

My question is, other than $$, what can I do to help? I don't have any programming skills, but would like to contribute in some way.

Anyway, just wanted to say hiya and hope to "meet" some of you in-game.

Reaps
04-16-2013, 08:41 PM
You can always grab missions of the difficulty you need. If you can't see ones that are high enough, just group with some people with combat professions and the level will go up. There are solo groups running out of major cantinas all over the galaxy.

A common practice is to grab two missions in the same direction and while you are on your way to them stop at any other lairs you see that would be good xp for you.

Or you could just go to an area that has denser lair spawns, Yavin and Dantooine come to mind. There are random lair spawns on Bas, lots of them in some places, maybe you were just looking in the wrong area. You could also go to one of the populated POIs and just kill the static spawns there.

Come on maaaaaaaaaan. I know how to take missions. This is more about "that old feeling" for me. The lairs are a huge part of immersion for me. I am not a smurf/twink/alt. I'm just starting. Its painful to take missions that reward you with 200 exp. There are no mobs to kill around c-net that aren't camped by tons of players. I finally found some mobs on Tat. It just doesn't feel like SWG atm. The old nova felt better than this does currently.

I know they will get their, but it seems like "will get their" will be in a year or 2.

djprotege
04-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Come on maaaaaaaaaan. I know how to take missions. This is more about "that old feeling" for me. The lairs are a huge part of immersion for me. I am not a smurf/twink/alt. I'm just starting. Its painful to take missions that reward you with 200 exp. There are no mobs to kill around c-net that aren't camped by tons of players. I finally found some mobs on Tat. It just doesn't feel like SWG atm. The old nova felt better than this does currently.

I know they will get their, but it seems like "will get their" will be in a year or 2.

I have never had problems with randoms mobs. I was able to level up quickly that way

Davinar
04-16-2013, 10:08 PM
I have never had problems with randoms mobs. I was able to level up quickly that way

Same here. Leveling on dantooine is super easy. and of course cnet is going to be super crowded...

Bopo
04-16-2013, 10:20 PM
I would love to get an official response about that. I have many friends that would start playing once everything is in place when beta starts. I am sure they would like to start on a "fresh" beta server...

Keep in mind, that the server we are on now, Basilisk, will serve for both the alpha and beta testing phases. Currently, we are in alpha, and it will still likely be a fair amount of time before we enter beta. The devs have said they will try to avoid wipes as much as possible, but they can potentially happen at any time during Basilisk's lifespan. When it's all said and done, and the SWGEmu project is ready for 1.0, everything (Basilisk) will be wiped and the new and final server will be known as SunCrusher.

OperativeLoop
04-17-2013, 05:39 AM
Greetings all! I stumbled upon SWGEMU quite by accident and couldn't believe my luck. I just read this whole thread and am very impressed with everything I've seen. Sounds like a great community on every front. I got on Amazon yesterday and ordered An Empire Divided for about $20. Not so bad IMO.

My question is, other than $$, what can I do to help? I don't have any programming skills, but would like to contribute in some way.

Anyway, just wanted to say hiya and hope to "meet" some of you in-game.
Welcome to the Emu!

You can help out a ton even without programming skills. There's a big need for testers right now to try things on Nova before they go to Basilisk (for more testing!) Check out the development forums http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
You may also be interested in checking out the server discussion forums http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=195 and the Introductions http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71. A lot of people here are really helpful towards new players, if you look/ask around here on the forums I'm sure you can find the people giving out armor and swoops to new players :-)

I did also mention looking for more lairs in other areas as well as static spawns. I just finished up leveling master brawler outside of Coronet and most of it was done by finding random lairs while heading to missions (at least twice as many random lairs as mission lairs).
Check out this list of POIs that have been populated with their spawns http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79815 . A ton of them are on Nova and need testing, once they are ready they will be merged to Basilisk and probably a lot sooner than a year or two ;-)

Edit: Oh, and missions should be worth a lot more than 200 xp, make sure you are getting in a group to get missions that are more difficult.

Nirriti
04-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the Emu!

You can help out a ton even without programming skills. There's a big need for testers right now to try things on Nova before they go to Basilisk (for more testing!) Check out the development forums http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
You may also be interested in checking out the server discussion forums http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=195 and the Introductions http://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71. A lot of people here are really helpful towards new players, if you look/ask around here on the forums I'm sure you can find the people giving out armor and swoops to new players :-)

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out as well. Can't wait to get the game and get going.

marsorbust
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM

I've been working on the lairs for several of the planets, plan on getting most if not all of the missing creatures added to world spawners for each planet. however the world spawners are limited to 2048 lairs for the entire planet, so once the planet has reached its lair cap it stops spawning more... some planets have multiple lair spawners one for world creatures and one for creatures/npc's in specific area's.

also if you would like to see more of the low level mobs around cities, I could use a little help with info on which mobs should spawn around which cities, If you feel like helping in that respect it would be much appreciated and would help to bring the immersion into the game that you are looking for.

if you decide to help, you can post a reply here http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79815 or create a mantis ticket in the SWGEmu TBD section. http://www.swgemu.com/bugs/view_all_bug_page.php A simple list like (city name: mob name, mob name, mob name, ... etc) would be helpful... the more detailed you can be the better.

Edit: forgot to mention, if you have any coding skills and feel like getting a dev environment set up you can help populate places also. the .lua files for screenplays and world spawners and such are really straight forward and not hard at all to work with. see the development section for more details.

Lief Wolfsbane
04-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Gotta say, I'm impressed. I never thought I'd play the game again. Keep it up guys, it's looking (and working) fantastic.

OctarBotan
04-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Absolutely, very pumped myself that you guys have come this far. I've been watching you guys for years now and I think It's finally time that I have joined and became apart of the community. Thank you so much and keep up the great work!!!! You guys are bringing back the greatest game ever made!!!!! (IMO)

Isako
04-29-2013, 03:13 AM
I just jumped in over the past couple of days and I'm loving it so far, but I just read the server is going to be wiped in the future? That's going to be really painful.

ifour
04-29-2013, 08:21 AM
I just jumped in over the past couple of days and I'm loving it so far, but I just read the server is going to be wiped in the future? That's going to be really painful.
its not really that painfull
just have cookies and milk at hand or your favorite poisen ( alchole)

Zabasaz
04-30-2013, 03:00 AM

I felt the same way at first but now I look at it as a good time to make contacts and learn how to play the game efficiently so when it goes live I'll have a good foundation to work on.

Geckomancer
05-07-2013, 11:02 AM

The wipe won't happen for a while. Basilisk is going to be maintained throughout the alpha and beta phase. It'll only get wiped when the full release occurs, then SunCrusher will launch and will never get wiped.

In general it's best to avoid dwelling on the future. SWGEmu is still in alpha and not all the features have been implemented yet (Such as Jump to Lightspeed and Jedi). It's still a ways away from Beta and after that an eon from full release.

LDream5
05-11-2013, 10:51 AM
I look forward to the days of SunCrusher. :)

sgtskywalker
05-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Keep up the good work guys, a lot of people are really happy for your devotion on this project and can't wait for the release!

sleepwalker
05-12-2013, 12:23 AM
I remember enjoying this game thoroughly almost 10 years ago and was sad to hear about the server shutdown in 2011, even though the game had apparently declined dramatically since 2003. In any case, this project is very exciting, and I'm glad that the world of SWG is not dead!

the original discs for this game are definitely in my basement...

ossirisward
05-13-2013, 01:53 AM
We've been waiting for along time for this game to come back to us......what's another few years....but I'm not getting any younger.:(

Diluvian
05-15-2013, 09:23 PM
We've been waiting for along time for this game to come back to us......what's another few years....but I'm not getting any younger.:(

lol, I feel the same way. I don't intend on investing years of gameplay to have it wiped and start all over again. went through that with swg. it will not happen with the emu. so, for a few more years I wait. :D

Shane1979
05-16-2013, 08:49 PM
well its like 7yrs+ and all of the base professions (like Bioengineer and CH) are not implemented yet. Partials on most others. (melee ranged def and things like that, have no bearing on high end content.. (which is broken).

So, Safe to say that you can get some play time in for years to come, before the thought of a wipe.

Because im sure that they will have these professions and combat working upon release of suncrusher. and as the server sits right now.. its a looooooooong way off.

baconation4
05-17-2013, 05:49 AM
I feel like the Devs may be very close to figuring out the AI coding, I'm anticipating being a CH in the not too far future.

TheMostInterestingMan
05-22-2013, 11:28 PM
I feel like the Devs may be very close to figuring out the AI coding, I'm anticipating being a CH in the not too far future.

Publish 3 will come next, then Publish 4 with creature AI, which means CH & BE functionality. Got a ways to go

Farncombe
05-23-2013, 02:34 AM
Hi

First off I just want to say thank you to the developers for bringing back SWG no game has ever compared to it and they have done an excellent job of getting a good community. So my question to other players is do we know what content will come with Publish 3? Thank you.

0nyx
05-23-2013, 05:45 AM
Hi

First off I just want to say thank you to the developers for bringing back SWG no game has ever compared to it and they have done an excellent job of getting a good community. So my question to other players is do we know what content will come with Publish 3? Thank you.

Final notes on what will be included will come right around the time of the update--you can read through the changes that have happened on Nova up to this point to get some idea, but not everything will necessarily be added to pub 3.

chido1119
05-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Nice bro, i'll be here for the rest of ever.

motoken
05-31-2013, 04:45 AM
holy Sh*t, its been over 6 years since I've joined this site, my computer has gone through 3 different motherboards and finally finally! is that light at the end of the tunnel? please don't get my hope up if this is false and going to take another 3 years. I'm a patient man, but it feels like I've been watching a leaky faucet trying to fill a swimming pool.

Vanquisher
05-31-2013, 05:48 AM
Another 3 years is rather optimistic I guess.

Krismoe
05-31-2013, 07:24 AM
I am so happy to see this game back. It is my most favorite game of all time. Pre cu ofcourse lol. I for one will donate as much as I can every month!

Will you guys be adding all the expansions??? I would love to see those working again as well. I still have all my disks an hope they will all have purpose once again.

Much appreciated!

jakelhart
06-03-2013, 02:40 AM
keep up the good work guys and to any one who is impatient all good things come to those who wait

Vicis
06-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Been following your project since at least 2006, gave it a spin back in 09 and I am finally committing myself to playing this.

Thank you for your dedication over all these years to make pre-cu servers a reality. This projects is even more amazing now that official servers have been taken down and your servers are the only way for me to enjoy this wonderful game again.

lithium066
06-09-2013, 06:18 PM
thx for update

FableVil1
06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Today is June 11th. So are u going into Beta testing today?

Vlada
06-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Today is June 11th. So are u going into Beta testing today?

You've been around almost a year, does the ground game look like its close to being complete?

FableVil1
06-11-2013, 07:57 AM
I suppose that was a stuped question I asked. I'm just going crazy with exitment to see it finished!

Oh I was also curios to know if will be seeing any of the holidays in the future. such as Wookie life day.

Vlada
06-11-2013, 08:11 AM
There will be events and probably some holidays, but not sure they will be the same as SOE's.

priest81
06-11-2013, 06:20 PM
There will be events and probably some holidays, but not sure they will be the same as SOE's.

I vote for November 15 to be a holiday.

ashur
06-11-2013, 07:03 PM
You've been around almost a year, does the ground game look like its close to being complete?

well it kinda does man. just toss in a few more djm spawns and we are good to go for beta.

Vlada
06-11-2013, 07:12 PM
well it kinda does man. just toss in a few more djm spawns and we are good to go for beta.

Ashur go home, you're drunk.

tpokorny
06-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Good work everyone. I'm amazeballs waiting for JTL, that was always my fav.

Donating now, you guys deserve the funding!

Ninerdaw1
06-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Cool! If I'm lucky, I'll be able to play this on launch day with my great grandchildren before they grow up :D

JK

Thanks, guys, for staying dedicated to the project after so many years. Thanks to your incredible determination, we're going to be building houses, jumping into hyperspace, drinking jawa juice, getting into Cantina fights, blasting rebels and imps, and hunting down Jedi for years to come! We're gonna have one helluva time on SunCrusher!!!

Heriw
06-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Great job to all those who work on the game Am patiently dreaming of launching my fighter from Dearic space port once again. Or capturing my 1st pet & BE my beloved Spat Mount KFC he was a spicey old bird.

larholl
06-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Big thumbs up to the Dev's...still going and ever so close now. I started following this project back in 2006 and have been waiting, watching and hopping in and playing form time to time ever since the emu has been up. My only hope is that I will still be able to immerse myself in a game once this ultimately goes live...I just don't find MMO's keeping me in like SWG did, maybe I am getting too old lol

snicol
06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Big thumbs up to the Dev's...still going and ever so close now. I started following this project back in 2006 and have been waiting, watching and hopping in and playing form time to time ever since the emu has been up. My only hope is that I will still be able to immerse myself in a game once this ultimately goes live...I just don't find MMO's keeping me in like SWG did, maybe I am getting too old lol

Brother were in the exact same boat...and its not age or us, its the game SWG was absolutely unique and special, and I had no problem staying in on friday nights to play till ....well sunday! Never too old we are :)

RandirTheWise
07-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Thank you for all the work you are doing! This is such an awesome project, been keeping an eye for years already. Keep up that amazing work!

MartinLM
07-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Your doing a fantastic job!

Turbodac
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
thank you DEVs for the great job you are doing. I hope we will be able to be space pilots again in SWG :)

miku2020
07-03-2013, 04:49 PM
i want clear answer is JTL back and totally working?
if not how much from core game is missing
if nothing and JTL is under working, i saw link to old SWG well its pirate but it contain JTL it poster hopes it can help you guys

sry this is mine frist forum reply/comment ever

Vlada
07-03-2013, 04:54 PM
if nothing and JTL is under working, i saw link to old SWG well its pirate but it contain JTL it poster hopes it can help you guys

JTL will be added and will be working same as it was during 14.1, but there is no ETA. Only thing we know (subject to change though) that work on JTL wont begin before ground game is finished.

evane241
07-03-2013, 04:54 PM

No space combat yet. At least that's what my understanding is. Sounds like it's in the works though, and expected reasonably soon.

miku2020
07-03-2013, 04:59 PM
:) i can only say thx for so quick reply i dint need wait
ou and if you want that link you can ask it from miku2020@hotmail.com because i do not want something bad happens me

Blackgrave
07-08-2013, 02:44 PM
excellent work comrades

oldjedi
07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Great jobs guys. Random question, will basilisk become the full server? or will it see a wipe for launch.

Ayn
07-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Great jobs guys. Random question, will basilisk become the full server? or will it see a wipe for launch.

Basilisk will be wiped and Sun Crusher will be the 1.0 full server.

Anakin2u
07-10-2013, 06:23 PM
As there has been many posts already it seems as though people can't Thank the Devs enough for what an Enjoyment this project coming back is! The Timeline sure does help many of us as to an idea of what is being planned or accomplished, which in my book is excellent! I haven't been waiting as long as many here have, so I have a bit more patience than some.. But I am sure glad I have found this Gem! I as many others have expressed haven't found another MMO game that can compare to SWG! Yes JTL was my favorite addition to the SWG universe, but I am just as pleased with SWG prior and being able to play the way it was SUPPOSED to be played. I started in 02' when the game was released and stopped playing a couple weeks after the infamous CU came abroad. I still have the SWG Collectors Edition and all that's included in mint condition, plus I have 2 spare original JTL disks sitting on a display with my collection of SWG stuff lol. Glad to see the Project moving forward as well!

Crow_1982
07-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Haven't been playing for too long on EMU myself, enjoying it deeply and love the feeling of having SWG back. My only question is, when Basilisk is wiped, will characters and progress be moved to new full server or have to start it up all over again? There are others who have done alot more work than I have but, just curious.

Anakin2u
07-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Basilisk WILL be wiped completely. If they transfer characters and things over they may also transfer some of the old code with it, which could cause problems (to my understanding). So I think it would be safe to say that NO, they will not transfer characters over. It will be a fresh start with the new code in place. But please anyone correct me if I am wrong.

conmcb25
07-11-2013, 06:13 AM
That's been pretty much the standard answer since Basilisk came online last summer. When 1.0 comes out, there will be a wipe and we start over.

Evilsam
07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
A fresh new beginning.It will be great,I'm so looking forward to it.
I started playing in early beta,and played until a month after NGE.I stayed a month,and gave it a try.Don't know why i kept my copies of the game.Just didn't have the heart to toss them.So glad I did.

Daemolus Parfarfa
07-13-2013, 09:27 AM
A fresh new beginning.It will be great,I'm so looking forward to it.
I started playing in early beta,and played until a month after NGE.I stayed a month,and gave it a try.Don't know why i kept my copies of the game.Just didn't have the heart to toss them.So glad I did.

I know exactly what you mean.

Breece
07-17-2013, 02:03 AM
I know exactly what you mean.

+2

Actually maybe the long wait between the end of the official game and the start of this one will be perfect. it may make the original novel feeling most of us probably had, of that first step into the swg universe, that much better.

Wittchen
07-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Have been on basilisk for a week now, and i must say that the old SWG feeling is back, what a amazing job the devs have done.
even though it has been many years since i played swg. (week after cu) i am feeling at home, and are enjoying my self so much, and it is still fun hunting with friends.
Keep up the good work, i think this is gonna be epic.
english issnt my native language so sorry for any misspells and such.

Viscidous
07-21-2013, 10:34 AM
I just got into the Emu myself and I love what they've done so far. I played Galaxies from release and missed the game a lot. So glad to see it back in the exact form I love.

thorndrako
07-22-2013, 05:56 PM
I personally have been waiting for this since the destruction of the original SWG .. thanks so much to you all for the hard work and persistence in recreating a game we all loved so much!!

Merigold
07-24-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm in my 60's and I'm making damn sure that I maintain my health so that I can finally see the finished game and start afresh on SunCrusher. In the meantime, I'm perfectly happy doing my thing on Basilisk and NOVA and honing my crafting skills.

Kelanos
08-01-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm in my 60's and I'm making damn sure that I maintain my health so that I can finally see the finished game and start afresh on SunCrusher. In the meantime, I'm perfectly happy doing my thing on Basilisk and NOVA and honing my crafting skills.

Amazing! What a privilege to have you here! :)

Nikaito
08-03-2013, 02:53 AM

I am 35 and I feel like a child when I read this, it is amazing to see how the game manage to keep people hooked no matter how old they are. This game is awesome and so the community that stick with it :)

novak64
08-03-2013, 03:01 AM
I am 35 and I feel like a child when I read this, it is amazing to see how the game manage to keep people hooked no matter how old they are. This game is awesome and so the community that stick with it :)
The only reason there are few older people playing video games is simply because they did not grow up with them. The average age of gamers will continue to rise as those of us who grew up with gaming age.
I got an early start in the the late 70's and early 80's gaming on my Intellivision, C64, TRS COCO and more.

Get used to us :p

ShootToKill
08-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Was looking at starting a new guild on Basilisk and I find out from my new recruits after poking around asking folks for a while that there is no end game jedi ch be de etc on the server!

I wonder when SunCrusher will do just that?
Im sure my guild can carry over but shouldnt there be a timeframe on the wipe?!

Played SWG when it came out when i was maybe 13 years old they dont make them like this anymore.

Just playing on Basilisk brings back memories and also makes me wonder why I dont even care to watch an Elder Scrolls Vid!

This games spine should be applied to any new game coming to market.
from 2003 (SCOUT!)

hiwheowog
08-23-2013, 08:42 PM
i'm 62, anyone older?

walgraph
08-25-2013, 09:08 PM
I m 58 :) : when will we create a guild for grandpa

Mefune
08-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Well its been over a year since the Basilisk play server started yes?
Are we in Alpha or Beta atm?
Is "sometime in the far future" still that?

Any idea? No idea? Stop asking?

Just curious!

Thanks so much to the creators of the EMU!! What a genuine treat it is to be playing old school SWG again!

nee2earth
08-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Well its been over a year since the Basilisk play server started yes?
Are we in Alpha or Beta atm?
Is "sometime in the far future" still that?

Technically, 'we' are in ALPHA testing still.

And, to quote the late great Master Yoda: Always in motion, the future is...

mack
08-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Technically, 'we' are in ALPHA testing still.

And, to quote the late great Master Yoda: Always in motion, the future is...
Personally I'd say Pre-Alpha..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha

Vlada
08-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Its Alpha.

Merigold
08-28-2013, 07:14 PM
i'm 62, anyone older?
Me by a few years but a lady never admits to her real age.
It was mentioned earlier that fewer older folks play because they never did as children. If they decided to do online gaming now they would find SWG to be perfect for them. The extrovert and introvert can both flourish here perfectly due to the complexity of the social, combat and crafting network. You want to join a guild? Wonderful. You don't want to join a guild. Wonderful. It's all about the freedom to do what you love best. If you are lazy and don't want to do much but sit in a cantina and chat with your friends, SWG can provide that. If you want uber complexity and want to work hard, SWG can provide that. If you want to sit in a camp all day enjoying nature, SWG can provide that. We've all been through this discussion before but it's worth mentioning again.

Here's to us old folks!

waffles1
08-28-2013, 07:58 PM
I have was wondering something about the commando profession. I can under stand the dots not working on them, But how come the grenades don't work? Also when do you plan to fix them? soon or some time later like publish 5?
Thanks for your answer....if you answer. rofl!

Vlada
08-28-2013, 08:03 PM
I have was wondering something about the commando profession. I can under stand the dots not working on them, But how come the grenades don't work? Also when do you plan to fix them? soon or some time later like publish 5?

Check here: https://docs.google.com/a/swgemu.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgjBDOFpOsM5dFBiOE5tbDZDZGI3TGFHcXZUTVNwZ Xc#gid=0

If its not there, then probably Pub 5 or 6

Ivojedi
08-28-2013, 08:49 PM

Grenades do work. They were added with publish 3.

mack
08-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Its Alpha.
Nope.. Pre-Alpha ..

Ivojedi
08-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Nope.. Pre-Alpha ..

I can't tell if you're being serious or just trolling. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and respond as if you were being serious.

You should either re-read the link you posted before, or learn more about this project.

According to your link:

"Pre-alpha refers to all activities performed during the software project before testing."

"The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing"

We are clearly software testing so, according to your link, we cannot be in the pre-alpha stage.

mack
08-29-2013, 08:17 AM
I can't tell if you're being serious or just trolling. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and respond as if you were being serious.

You should either re-read the link you posted before, or learn more about this project.

According to your link:

"Pre-alpha refers to all activities performed during the software project before testing."

"The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing"

We are clearly software testing so, according to your link, we cannot be in the pre-alpha stage.

Not trolling, just stating my opinion ! :)

If you'd have read a bit further on that very link....

"Pre-alpha refers to all activities performed during the software project before testing (http://www.swgemu.com/wiki/Software_testing). These activities can include requirements analysis (http://www.swgemu.com/wiki/Requirements_analysis), software design (http://www.swgemu.com/wiki/Software_design), software development (http://www.swgemu.com/wiki/Software_development), and unit testing (http://www.swgemu.com/wiki/Unit_testing). In typical open source (http://www.swgemu.com/wiki/Open_source) development, there are several types of pre-alpha versions. Milestone versions include specific sets of functions and are released as soon as the functionality is complete."

and since we appear to having 'Publishes' or 'Milestones' and design and development is still very active as there are parts that aren't even close to being complete yet. I would edge to say it's Pre-Alpha, however It doesn't really matter ! - if you want to call it Alpha then feel free to do so ;)

Vlada
08-29-2013, 08:37 AM

Its alpha

TheAnswer
08-29-2013, 08:50 AM
It is alpha, usually during pre-alpha there is no functionality to test. When you move to black box testing, its when alpha starts (that doesn't mean software development and design halts).