PDA

View Full Version : Playin.fr Interview with SWGEmu Developers

Vlada
02-03-2012, 11:50 PM
http://www.playin.fr/sites/default/files/logo.jpg

Interview with SWGEmu Developers

- SWGEmu aims to recreate the Pre-CU game experience of Star Wars Galaxies, when did the project start exactly and how? How did you recruit developers?

The project, known as SWGEmu, started on December 24, 2004, before the first Combat Upgrade. Ramsey and Ultyma were part of the original development team.

Core One, which was in internal development by Joker, went Open Source to the pleasure of the growing SWGEmu community. While Ramsey, Ultyma, and Xenozephyr continued with packet research, new developers were added to the team, most notably; Antman, Anzel, Oru, TheAnswer, Snow, and tmr. The community moderation team also expanded to deal with the increasing public interest.

Nearing the end of 2006, it was realized that Core1 had a variety of internal problems that were hampering it's development, and the team decided that a new core had to be written. Core2 was begun to be written by Antman, but fell through by December 2006, and the completed code was integrated into the then-new Core3 projectCore2 being an experimental server was officially halted in development under the official SWGEMU team with the focus being on the then proposed release core, Core3. Core2 development continued on its own branch under Antman and he has since announced that it will soon be available open source to community members, and it remains the only fully functional SWGEmu core outside of Core3.

Armed with the wisdom gained from the Core One fiasco, the remaining SWGEmu Developers - Oru, TheAnswer, Ultyma, and Ramsey - began work to restructure the project in 2007. Oru and TheAnswer started work on the Engine3 library and Core3. Core3 quickly began to outpace its predecessor in terms of power and scalability. The software continues to be the center of the SWGEmu project and has seen continued success even after a relaunched Open Source initiative in January 2008. (I'd like to see a mention of 'newer', but long time devs here, like cRush and kyle, feel free to phrase it any way you want)

In November 2011 SWGEmu became an officially, globally recognized 501(c) Non-Profit Organization registered by Oru in Hungary.

http://www.playin.fr/sites/default/files/images/articles/swgemu.jpg

- What are the legal problems you have met?

None so far. A verbal agreement was made with LA and SOE back in 2006 which states that if we don't make a profit out of SWGEmu, there will be no legal action taken against us.

- Have you got contacts with SOE ?

The only contact was made back in 2006, explained in the previous answer.

- What are the difficulties of such a project (organization, financing)?

Being a volunteer project, our largest challenge is keeping a steady pace of the development. Developers come and go due to real life issues, work, studying, etc. There are times with large development activity and times of no real progress. Financial wise, thanks to our great community, we have no issues at all.

- We meet a lot of people on Liberator contrary to the Nova Test Center, is it difficult to find involved beta testers?

This has always been a struggle. It is very difficult to keep the community interested in playing on a test server that they know will be gone in a matter of days or months. Whether we like it or not, the Pre-CU community is getting old, they are all grown up, have families, kids, jobs. There are not many of us left. Sure, the official SWG Servers shutting down did bring us quite a lot of new community members and our numbers grow daily, but it is becoming extremely hard to find dedication and passion in community members that had never experienced the original Pre-CU SWG

Take Nova and QA for example:

Test Center: Nova is much like SOEs own Test Center with a few slight differences.

On Nova most people tend to start in Coront (Corellia) and that's where most of the testing takes place. In my experience you can often times weed out persons who are there to just play around with the new features vs the long term testers. We encourage both as some times even the most dedicated testers can miss things.

As an example to the above a character named "Simie" would often get stuck places I'd never even think of. With the interaction of Quality Assurance on Nova Simie decided to stick around and help us iron out the bugs on Structure implementation. Quality Assurance is a huge part of the development process. Not only does QA handle, categorize, and prioritize bug reports we are at the front of Test Center: Nova interaction with the player base.

http://www.playin.fr/sites/default/files/images/articles/swgemu_2.jpg

- Star Wars Galaxies is finally closed its doors on December 15th and The Old Republic will take over. Do you think that the game of BioWare can "compete with" SWGEmu and delay the project?

SW:TOR and SWGEmu are completely different games. The only thing they have in common is the Star Wars Theme.

- What is the current development status? Is a release date envisioned?

Developers are currently in the overdrive mode, as they are rushing towards one of our largest milestones that we call "End of Liberator Milestone" (https://www.assembla.com/spaces/swgemu/wiki/End_of_Liberator_Milestone). As for the release date, this being a volunteer project, we have the "No ETA" policy and we will continue to stick to it.

- The main weakness of SWG was its lack of quest content (despite the sandbox gameplay). Once version 1.0 will be finished, will you add some post-CU (especially NGE) content or do you consider it useless ?

We would like implement the tools and subsystems required to build and put in new planets. As it stands we have received a lot of help from the community since we went open-source. There are some working on world builder tools, script editors, converters for models and animations, or working on building new content. I think we can add the planets in the client that SOE never used and even create new ones later. For 1.0 we want to release a server that is as close to Pre-CU as possible, while maintaining a modular structure to which individual server communities can add their own content and feature. While everyone on the team has their own ideas what content or features we could add to our own play server no one really knows what may come after 1.0.

Original interview in French can be found here: http://www.playin.fr/billet/swgemu-l-interview-des-developpeurs

Mahak Nubar
02-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Very informative thanks for posting this. I feel like I'm more in the "know" after reading.

JSW321
02-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I've been watching this project on a pretty silent level since it went open source the first time... and I will say this sure brings back memories. Odd fact, that wanting to help out this project drove me to dive into C++ programming -- something I had never touched before 2006.

THEXMAN
02-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Beautiful.

McTriad
02-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks for this info. Got some down time next two weeks Think I'm gona spend a lota time on Nova. was working on Trying to set up a player city after last weekends load test.... it was out in the sticks on tant where i plan on building the city for my lib guild after milestones... this time i think im gona start the city on tant sw of the cloner..... in esly one of the intersting things i did learn from setin up the city was one u kill random mob lairs for the most part they don't respawn close to the city... had one pop inside the player city cloner though. server got wiped before i had a chance to check bug reports on it

chayn
02-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Always nice to get some PR... :)

arween
02-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Just back from 2 month SWTOR (a really ugly game, compared to SWG pre CU wasted money and time), nice to see all the new stuff, omw to DWB :-)
SNAKE Plissken is back xD

lordkain
02-08-2012, 03:18 AM
thank you for his great info

Spacey_88
02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for posting this info, great to see the "good fight" getting some recognition it deserves :)

badshrooms
02-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Great little interview, stay positive and strong SWGEMU

absolutetristan
02-20-2012, 11:56 PM
nice read, how can I do the beta testing? Its been a while since I've been on but would really like to help in any way...

Vlada
02-21-2012, 12:07 AM
nice read, how can I do the beta testing? Its been a while since I've been on but would really like to help in any way...

Join us in #openqa! (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31923)

Thulserdoom
05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
I know this might sound really stupid and probably is , If soe are allowing you to make the game as long as there is no profit making, why cant they give you the code they used when the game was first released, which would be intact and basically all working?.

Vlada
05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Why would they? What do they gain by doing so?

They own the patent rights that don't expire till 2025 or close to that that, why would they just give away something that is worth millions?

P.S. SOE claimed, not sure if they changed that statement, that the original Pre-CU code was lost during CU or early NGE.

Phalanx480bc
05-22-2012, 11:55 AM

They own the patent rights that don't expire till 2025 or close to that that, why would they just give away something that is worth millions?

P.S. SOE claimed, not sure if they changed that statement, that the original Pre-CU code was lost during CU or early NGE.

That and it's largely irrelevant, anyway. The strides made by this dev team and their predecessors has made the current build AT LEAST as playable as the original code from the same time period. There are still plenty of bugs to work out, but I can recall just as many game-breaking issues in the official code as there are on Basilisk. Why trade SWGEmu issues for SOE issues of the same grain?

Bnat
05-22-2012, 01:33 PM
That and it's largely irrelevant, anyway. The strides made by this dev team and their predecessors has made the current build AT LEAST as playable as the original code from the same time period. There are still plenty of bugs to work out, but I can recall just as many game-breaking issues in the official code as there are on Basilisk. Why trade SWGEmu issues for SOE issues of the same grain?Very good point-better off not inheriting SOE's code headaches. At least when you build your own, you built it from the ground up and issues are tackled as they arise.

bioda
06-07-2012, 12:58 AM

The thing is, they will never reopen the servers for profit nor use that code again, so is it truly worth millions? I could have a Picasso stuck away in the attic, but if I never get it out, sell it or display it until it rots away, was it ever really worth anything at all?

I wish Lucas Arts would just hire the current SWGEmu devs, give them really good jobs and crank out a SWG2, I am sure it would be awesome :) Honestly it would probably be the only game I would ever again spend money on.

CassusFett33
06-11-2012, 04:21 PM
The thing is, they will never reopen the servers for profit nor use that code again, so is it truly worth millions? I could have a Picasso stuck away in the attic, but if I never get it out, sell it or display it until it rots away, was it ever really worth anything at all?

I wish Lucas Arts would just hire the current SWGEmu devs, give them really good jobs and crank out a SWG2, I am sure it would be awesome :) Honestly it would probably be the only game I would ever again spend money on.

Sadly, there would be a good chance of SWG2 ending up with an NGE2.

CapStalker
06-17-2012, 01:01 PM
mostly due to the fact that too many people would complain...it is too hard or it takes to long or...saw it too many times on soe forums people complaing that they just got owned.

dfbass
06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
there will always be complaints from the whiners in any mmo, but the majority of the players understand that many issues can arise from unexpected reactions from code strings, from what i have seen this is like as posted above at least as stable if not more than the original RELEASE of SWG even after the first of many patches to fix the bugs, and patches to fix the patches bugs and so on and so forth. I am loving what the devs are doing, Keep up the great work

Soulreaver
06-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks vlada and gang. the update was mucho appreciated. I played from beta swg to 5 months into NGE. i can tell you the new code EMu has built is more responsive,faster and more reliable then original code ever was. I think the only thing i would like to see From SOE is for them to support emu. not give any hand outs but maybe they could give a shout out not to mention maybe some assets. you know they have major redundant drivers. if you believe they lost all of pre cu then you are naive.
You maybe right they don't have much to gain but they do have one thing that they could gain and is very huge and profitable. that is reconnection of EMU. Not only will it show they support indy teams,but also would show their continued support of a product that they know millions of subs paid for and still continue to pay for even tho its free.. Look at garage games all of there games are free yet millions sub to there games and pay to play. WHY?? becasue of the support of them to the community. Thats all we ever wanted from soe from the get go.Its free publicity at the cost of support and what some of there already done assets?

Redfox
06-22-2012, 09:09 AM
I for one would not like SOE to have anything to do with this emu version. Soe don't do anything for the fun of it and are totally based on making money. They dont listen to their subscribers obviously. If they did, the NGE would've been reversed the first time. After loosing thousands of subs after the NGE, they stuck to their guns and it almost died completely then. Devs with ideas like the NGE can stay away from this true version of SWG.

Jackfrostt
06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
I for one would not like SOE to have anything to do with this emu version. Soe don't do anything for the fun of it and are totally based on making money. They dont listen to their subscribers obviously. If they did, the NGE would've been reversed the first time. After loosing thousands of subs after the NGE, they stuck to their guns and it almost died completely then. Devs with ideas like the NGE can stay away from this true version of SWG.

I agree, SOE had a chance long ago to make it right and ignored it. SWG-EMU was born out of that "need" and the Devs have done a fantastic job with not only game, but support. Remember how hard it was to even get a decent response out of SOE'S Devs?

Swg-emu team is on the right track, I would ride with them any day!

Geted
06-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi all im new in here

PiousMaxus
06-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Anyway....is there a thread somewhere that lays out the concept for the game files so a novice could start learning to decipher them? Something like this:

"There are ___ file types in Galaxies, listed below by their extension, general function/purpose, and relationship to the other files:

Type Purpose
type __ Purpose ____
type __ Purpose ____
type __ Purpose ____"

I'd love to start documenting (esp droid eng), but I'd like to know the relationship of the files and (hopefully) free software to decrypt them. Thoughts?

Vlada
06-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Anyway....is there a thread somewhere that lays out the concept for the game files so a novice could start learning to decipher them? Something like this:

"There are ___ file types in Galaxies, listed below by their extension, general function/purpose, and relationship to the other files:

Type Purpose
type __ Purpose ____
type __ Purpose ____
type __ Purpose ____"

I'd love to start documenting (esp droid eng), but I'd like to know the relationship of the files and (hopefully) free software to decrypt them. Thoughts?

Yeah try asking in the Development section or in IRC #opendev channel

Ceradwyn
06-27-2012, 02:08 AM
I for one have been watching all this from the sidelines for a while. I played SWG almost from the start (when I was all of 11, played with my dad), and it was by FAR the best game I ever played. It got bad when CU hit. Of course, I tried persisting. I loved this game and the people I met and the things I could do. Then the NGE came. And we all know how it goes from there.
Needless to say I was bummed and had no game to play. I decided to try WoW. Played it for a while. It was MAYBE fun for the first year. After that it all began to go downhill. Now it's awful. Bad graphics, no customization, terrible game support... It's worthless and I stopped feeding Blizz my money. I plan on never supporting them again, ever. It wasn't even as good as post-nge star wars.... =I
I had started to like wow at one point but it actually began doing the same thing as SWG.... Bad upgrades left and right. WoW is gonna go up in flames. Just like SWG post-nge :I And the devs will have nobody to blame but themselves. I think it's just ... a mindset. A company reaches a certain size or popularity, forgets why it started in the first place or where it was going or who it was trying to please - and it all comes down to the money. And money is the greatest evil, tbh. Or at least... It sparks the greatest evil, in people who have no conscious or pride in their work.

I am SO... SO... SOOOO happy to have found this place. I have been starving for SWG since I quit. I even tried the trial post-nge hoping it was ... good. Well. It wasn't. It just wasn't. :<
Much love and appreciation to the devs of SWGEmu, and to anyone who donates and tests!! *Will be joining testing soon!* It's just incredibly exciting to see this coming together after so long...
You can bet I'll donate as soon as I can afford it. I'd rather pay $15 a month for this stuff! In fact, I'm more than willing too!! If only... I had money. evil, evil money. XD

Tiars
06-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Very good point-better off not inheriting SOE's code headaches. At least when you build your own, you built it from the ground up and issues are tackled as they arise.

Yeah for example after crafting day the SOE code had a bug that prevented full experimentation on many Artisan components that was not fixed until way into NGE. Also at that time they found that the crafting stations and tool ratings due to another bug had no effect on crafting and that bug was fixed. The SWGemu team should be implementing these without the bugs.

Except that Sony has stated that their is Intellectual Property in the SOE code that has been patented. They use those patents and have the right to be paid by others to use those patents. If they release into the public domain they also release the patents into the public domain and loose the right to receive money for other companies to use that Intellectual Property.

It is not the same as your painting allegory.

hunterk03
06-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Just want to say thanks to all working on this project, its good and nostalgic to see player cities again. I played swg for 6 years and was bummed to hear it close. Ive run into alot of old friends from the SOE version on liberator and Basilisk so in a way its like coming home again. Keep it up things are going great!

Killum
07-04-2012, 12:59 PM
I have read in the forums about new planets that may/are being built that could possibly be added to SWGEmu, but did I read & understand the part of the interview correctly; that stated there were planets in the original SWG that were already in the code but were never used? What planets were these?

Vlada
07-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Tanaab.

ury
07-05-2012, 06:52 PM
I was wondering if the interview was done in French or in English?

Vlada
07-05-2012, 06:55 PM
English.

ury
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Oh! French people do speak English!
Wonderful, i guess they do have the same accent than our Ithorian accent :)
Maybe more frogy :D

MentosFreshmaker
07-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Forgive me if the spelling is off, but I think most of you will get the point. I just found SWGEMU and had to literally blow the dust off my old intallation disks. Is the wookie planet not available? Or did I somehow miss it in the galactic map? One of my favorite parts of SWG was the hunting quests there... I would need that to complete my hunting lodge :)

Vlada
07-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Forgive me if the spelling is off, but I think most of you will get the point. I just found SWGEMU and had to literally blow the dust off my old intallation disks. Is the wookie planet not available? Or did I somehow miss it in the galactic map? One of my favorite parts of SWG was the hunting quests there... I would need that to complete my hunting lodge :)

Kashyyk was not in Pre-CU and it wont be a part of 1.0.

Pake
12-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Nearing the end of 2006, it was realized that Core1 had a variety of internal problems that were hampering it's development, and the team decided that a new core had to be written. Core2 was begun to be written by Antman, but fell through by December 2006, and the completed code was integrated into the then-new Core3 projectCore2 being an experimental server was officially halted in development under the official SWGEMU team with the focus being on the then proposed release core, Core3. Core2 development continued on its own branch under Antman and he has since announced that it will soon be available open source to community members, and it remains the only fully functional SWGEmu core outside of Core3.

Does anyonw know where I can get a copy of Core2? I have been promising my son that we could run a server and play together for years now. This would be a great way for me to introduce him to SWG.

Vlada
12-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Does anyonw know where I can get a copy of Core2? I have been promising my son that we could run a server and play together for years now. This would be a great way for me to introduce him to SWG.

No such thing around here. Whats wrong with our code or our servers for that matter?

Hakry
12-15-2012, 01:48 AM

No such thing around here. Whats wrong with our code or our servers for that matter?

You would gain nothing even if you found a copy of Core2 to run. Core3 dwarfs it in how far it has come in development and dependability. You should just use the Official SWGEmu servers to have him play on where he can interact with other players as well.

Pake
12-15-2012, 01:58 AM
I would have to get a seperate account for him, and I'm no sure how to request one. Plus i'm not too sure he's ready for some members of the community. Also, with him being only 11 I'm not sure what some of the members would have to say about him being here.

Sajun
12-15-2012, 03:13 AM
I would have to get a seperate account for him, and I'm no sure how to request one. Plus i'm not too sure he's ready for some members of the community. Also, with him being only 11 I'm not sure what some of the members would have to say about him being here.

Despite the fact that it's a perfect age to build great nostalgia for something, I'd probably keep him offline as well. I mean, this is SWG, and of any mmo it by far has the best community. But there still are some questionable people around. =( It's a shame but oh well.

Revanis
12-15-2012, 03:30 AM

Doesn't mean you still can't use the Core3 releases to start up a private server for him, though. Read this (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28) for info on requesting multiple household account access for your son in the future.

Pake
12-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Doesn't mean you still can't use the Core3 releases to start up a private server for him, though. Read this (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28) for info on requesting multiple household account access for your son in the future.

Yah, I think I will try getting a copy of core3 to work over Christmas, and thanks for the info. It would be good to get him started in a controlled environment I think.

XwASabretooth
12-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Use the VMWare image and VMWareplayer or VMWare server. Worked fine for me (if you aren't an experienced Linux user, which maybe you are).

Sc0rx
01-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Kashyyyk was not in Pre-CU and it wont be a part of 1.0.

This makes me sad. Getting the hunting trophies was one of the best things from my experience in SWG.

gtrsamurai
01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Swallow your foolish pride and make the emu what SWG became, not what it started out as... THE GREATEST GAME EVER!!!

Chicken1337
01-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Swallow your foolish pride and make the emu what SWG became, not what it started out as... THE GREATEST GAME EVER!!!

Are you referring to the post-NGE and CU game, or pre-NGE and CU? Your statement was exceedingly vague.

jkm4201
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Having a hard time biting my tongue on that gtrsamurai, Star Wars Galaxies went from a highly complex mmorpg offering just about anything and everything an mmorpg could, to a pile of steaming bantha poo. It's actually amusing at how many MMOs (notice I stopped using the MMORPG reference) have tried to add in some of the features that SWG had and have failed in a rather spectacular display. It was and continues to be my opinion that the original pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies was well ahead of the times and that in some cases it still is. To date, I cannot in good faith name even one MMO that has all the features SWG had that is "successfully" keeping players on their servers.

gtrsamurai
01-17-2013, 01:56 PM
lol, I know, sounds harsh. Just having jedi withdrawal. :) Unlocking the jedi path too difficult. :( Still enjoy the pre- CU! What an incredible game!!! Cheers!

Jade_Enigma
01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Having a hard time biting my tongue on that gtrsamurai, Star Wars Galaxies went from a highly complex mmorpg offering just about anything and everything an mmorpg could, to a pile of steaming bantha poo. It's actually amusing at how many MMOs (notice I stopped using the MMORPG reference) have tried to add in some of the features that SWG had and have failed in a rather spectacular display. It was and continues to be my opinion that the original pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies was well ahead of the times and that in some cases it still is. To date, I cannot in good faith name even one MMO that has all the features SWG had that is "successfully" keeping players on their servers.

I honestly could not have expressed this sentiment better. I have for a very long time spoken fondly of SWG as a proper MMORPG to those friends I've made in other MMOs. I gushed over how you could find your path, not have it dictated to you, and how you could make your way without ever carrying a weapon and yet still gain so much satisfaction from your online time. People talk about sandbox MMOs, but if they have never played Star Wars Galaxies prior to the NGE, then they really don't understand what a sandbox MMO truly is.

Edenns
01-21-2013, 07:51 AM
I honestly could not have expressed this sentiment better. I have for a very long time spoken fondly of SWG as a proper MMORPG to those friends I've made in other MMOs. I gushed over how you could find your path, not have it dictated to you, and how you could make your way without ever carrying a weapon and yet still gain so much satisfaction from your online time. People talk about sandbox MMOs, but if they have never played Star Wars Galaxies prior to the NGE, then they really don't understand what a sandbox MMO truly is.

I couldn't of spoke better then what you told us already..>Simply WOW This game was and will always be in my Opinion the Best Personal Advancement game...SWG was totally destroyed when they added classes Im glad to see so many follower's and Adept to The Old SWG Make's me cry now :')

david665
12-30-2015, 05:27 AM
I have to echo what Jade said. A couple of months ago I made over 500k credits off of wild milk when a lot of people were wondering why I was even harvesting it, saying there wasn't really a market for it. I think at the time, I was the only guy doing it. It took me 2-3 days to get the 50K+ units that I was contracted for, but I had some fun doing it. It was totally dependent on my skills as a scout/CH/ with some rifles thrown in.

OptimalCarnage
01-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Glad to see the progress that has been made with the code over the years.
I originally joined back when SWGemu first got started and then I lost track of SWGemu some where along the way.
Around the same time SWG was dying, real life took over and online gaming and gaming in general got put on the back burner.
I am trying to get re-aclimated to SWG before being able to provide decent feedback.
Even though I played SWG at the beginning and even into the CU and NGE era, at my current stage I am pretty much a newb all over again.
Once I am reaclimated, I hope to be able to provide coherent and good feedback.

Valis
08-21-2016, 01:53 PM
You forgot to mention the support of Berix, me, Zabi and some other guys from 2005-2006. :) Damn was his name again that used to hang out in the codemonkeys irc or the one before that? think it was DaNet?

Let's see it was acid that provided Xeno with stuff to crack the encryption, right? 11 year, it's so long that it seems like another life. :-/

TheAnswer
08-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Yes it was acid who reverse engineered the encryption, not a lot of people left from 2005...

Valis
08-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Yeah it's a pity, since Berix vansished and Zabi I haven't seen for years, I still play like 5 min, now and then, with a friend. Still one of the first player that actually plays the game. :P I have a house, somewhere too.

Good games never rust and this was one of the best, in its days. I'm glad I have contributed, even if it was just on the fringes.

Hell, I even miss the nutty community from back in 2006-2008 on the Swgemu server. ;)