PDA

View Full Version : End of SWG Celebrations

Kreen
12-14-2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/images/stafflogos/event_celebration.png

End of Star Wars Galaxies Celebration
(SoE's Live server, not SWGEmu!)

Hello everyone! For several months now, we've been sadly awaiting this day, December 15th, 2011 which marks the end of one of the greatest MMORPGs ever. Tomorrow, Sony Online Entertainment will be shutting down Star Wars Galaxies for good.

To celebrate the end of the game that we've all held so close to our hearts, the SWGEmu Event Coordinator team will be hosting a day-long event of festivities, fighting, PvP, parties, and much much more!

Join us tomorrow, Thursday December 15th, 2011, at 3:00pm EST/2:00pm CST in Coronet, Corellia. Festivities will start and last late in the evening, with the entire Event Coordinator team planning a series of different events and fun things to do with you guys. A monument will be unveiled as a dedication to Star Wars Galaxies, as we wave farewell to the old game, and look forward to the new updates coming for SWGEmu!

~ The Event Coordinator Team

Swargy
12-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I wonder what kind of event SOE has in store for the people who still play live

Darth Nautas
12-14-2011, 11:48 PM
About the monument, I hope you add it to all "stock" servers, and obviously, it should survive Liberator's change of code.

chayn
12-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Bout time they put away the whip and pulled out the gun... R.I.P. old friend.. they shoulda shot you when you got sick in 05'..

Vlada
12-15-2011, 12:02 AM
About the monument, I hope you add it to all "stock" servers, and obviously, it should survive Liberator's change of code.

That is the general idea, monument is supposed to be permanent.

shilo
12-15-2011, 01:14 AM
You know, I actually lurked the SWG forums. I had a bunch of emotions come over me reading some of the farewell posts. Even though I hated the NGE, I did give it a serious go from '06-'09. It is sad to see this game that has been a large part of my life come to and end.

In fact it really hits home that the emu is all that is left. Even though we are all guilty of taking pot shots at SWG, it has been this constant that has hung over our heads. Now that it is gone, the SWGEmu are the lone torch bearers in a very dark night..if our torch is to go out, than SWG will slowly fall from our memories into oblivion.

Faith13HF
12-15-2011, 03:21 AM
Watch, next day:

"We're happy to announce Star Wars Universe, the new pre-Combat Upgrade version of our previous installment, Star Wars Galaxies!"

I'd pay 30$ a month for it if they would actually do it right the second time around.

shilo
12-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Watch, next day:

"We're happy to announce Star Wars Universe, the new pre-Combat Upgrade version of our previous installment, Star Wars Galaxies!"

I'd pay 30$ a month for it if they would actually do it right the second time around.

If they did that, Id still stick with the SWGEmu. Because if SOE even hints that they are loosing money, than they will cut the thing loose. That is just a fact about running a business, you do it to make money!

Faith13HF
12-15-2011, 04:43 AM
If they did that, Id still stick with the SWGEmu. Because if SOE even hints that they are loosing money, than they will cut the thing loose. That is just a fact about running a business, you do it to make money!

meh, at least I'd have something to play, if only for a little bit.
I keep getting nostalgic for SWG and then I log into emu to find that I am left disappointed.

owell tho

TheKalkon
12-15-2011, 08:28 AM
don't see the point in being sad over the shutdown, not like people here will feel a big loss over a "broken" game. even the code of SWGemu isen't fnished but still alote better then SOEs junk of infinity failur.

LucasFugitive
12-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Oh its great! First, we had a huge party at the Sarlacc with jabba the hutt. Oola was present, and no other characters were there!

Then we had the rebel invasion! All the cities are now filled with rebels. You can't walk around with faction combat on anymore.

Now we are going to have 3! lag fest combat events with no point.

korimor
12-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Thankfully I do not have work tonight :)

Any kind of hints as to what other kind of things we will be doing? :P

... Now.. Just to try to get home as early as possible.....

korimor
12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes, look in theed naboo, rite when you exit starport. Monument to the dude who took the most blame for NGE and for a "non-related" reason later committed suicide

Dngrzne91
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I said my goodbyes to live SWG long ago but maybe I'll login today to attend the burial.

Kayliaah
12-15-2011, 04:11 PM

It's supposed to be the Battle of Endor, if nothing has changed, a nice way to merge with the end of the saga.
Who knows which faction will win this time.

It feels like it was yesterday that SOE announced that they would shut down SWG in December, time really flies.
Even after so many years I can't believe how awesome SWG was, but let's not dwell on the past, what's done is done.

Now I hope SWGEmu will succeed, eventually.

"Help me SWGEmu, you're my only hope!"
"There is another."
etc etc...

Kreen
12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Any kind of hints as to what other kind of things we will be doing? :P

We've got a ton of different things planned for everybody! Essentially we'll be hanging out with you guys and doing mini-event after mini-event. There will be hunting trips, invasions, PvP, battlefields, trivia, parties, and (of course) badges and maybe a couple prizes here and there!

All in all, just a fun waste-the-day-with-lots-of-events sort of deal. If you can't come for the festivities starting at 3:00pm EST/2:00pm CST, come later! We should be playing all through the night!

Kraschman
12-15-2011, 06:40 PM
I plan to be on Bloodfin on my main character for the end. I started with him, I'll end with him.

Then it's on with the Emu full steam ahead!

I never imagined in 2003 that this day would come so soon...

Swargy
12-15-2011, 09:08 PM
wish i could log on to my live character just to see the end, but i didn't resub.

madmax2069
12-16-2011, 03:45 AM
wish i could log on to my live character just to see the end, but i didn't resub.

I was watching a Star Wars Galaxies Live Event on youtube, you didn't really miss much but a bunch server crashes towards the end (the rebels was causing the servers to crash from what they said). It didn't end with a bang, but a whimper. it was a lag fest really. They had the battle of Endor and a bunch of PVE and PVP events and doing the same thing we did with the costumes.

swedefrog
12-16-2011, 02:03 PM
I want to thank all the developers who made a great night for me yesterday loved the walking above Coronet and being an imperial soldier Great fun and nice to see you all in game.

Also i watched the vid of Old Galaxies end yesterday and it made me sad to see it end that way. But thank the Heavens for Emu and this is and always will be the proper way to play.....

EVILJUDE
12-16-2011, 02:05 PM
*bang*....*thump*...

Awesomesith
12-16-2011, 02:46 PM
The loss of SWG is SWGEmu's Gain now the pressures on SWEmu and im sure the development team will step up to the challenge and succeed in making SWGEmu successful just like the now deceased SWG R.I.P SWG.

shilo
12-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Are the developers planningc on keeping the coronet sky platform? I drove my swoop up the winging platform, and an idea of using it as a swoop track came to mind!! Imagine how challenging, and that would be eh!!

Neo1715
12-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Anywhere to watch a recording of the live stream (I think there was one...) from the final official events?

Kraschman
12-16-2011, 05:01 PM
I found the Super Star Destroyer over Coronet rather Impressive. The Nebulon-B Frigate and Corvettes over Theed were nice, the giant Ewok in Mos Entha was kind of neat, but a blizzard of snow and Wampas in Wayfar plus a 50 ft Life Day Tree? Never thought I'd see that.

That said, the end itself was anti-climactic. I'd have hoped for Death Stars to spawn over every planet and blow them to pieces along with all the players right as the servers went down. Would have been more fitting...

robpickles
12-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Awwww... sorry I missed it all. Wasn't able to come on. :( Glad people had fun.

Bensons
12-16-2011, 08:47 PM
The ending was a bit disjointed, people were spread out all over the galaxy. The guild I was in (RSS) went to Restuss and battled it out with the Imperials and then did the RSS dance of death in a big line. The Connection To SWG Lost and that was it, didn't even get blown up:( SOE are doing a swg memory book for PDF download and releasing it next week from their website, should be a good read. Maybe some of the pre-cu stuff will be in there?

Uru Moomintoog
12-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Good night SWG, Hello SWGEMU. Will be ingame soon enough. Will see ya in galaxy.
Uru Moomintoog

bioda
12-17-2011, 01:56 AM
It was kind of a somber end I must say. Only found two others from my guild there, hung out with one in her cantina as she sang like she always did. At the very end I had to go out in space, just could not leave except where I felt most at home. Nothing like flying into a black hole to end things :)

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=0v6qdocdrdcmyac

eci1
12-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Somber, yeah. That last few hours was rather quiet. At the end there were about 7 of us standing in front of the Theed Starport (Chilastra) and one by one we switched our character tags to Years of Experience. Only one character didn't show 8. No words were spoken. Just stood there like worts as the server did it's last countdown each lost in their own rich fond memories. Thought I could hear Taps playing. I'm not engaging another game, rather I'll put all my energies right here. I plan to be a long-term player on the new server here. Doubt I'll take more than a peak at TOR. Both my Eve and Star Treck groups are waiting to see if I ever re-activate, as are my Everquest and EQII toons. Here's where I want to be. I've started making regular small donations, and hope others pick up on that. I don't want our devs to have to be distracted wondering if next month's isp bill is going to be paid.

Uru Moomintoog
12-18-2011, 01:45 AM
Agree, not thinkin' any other experience. I know EMU is gonna be a big change for I only started SWG in FEb '11. I am ready to learn and am sure I will meet as many great people here. Exile from Chilastra. Was in group of 5 good friends, then 4, as we sat out front of the Cantina in Twin Suns. Kinda still thinkin gonna see some sort of explosion,,hahahha. Onward and upward to EMU.

cya soon,
Uru Moomintoog

Kreen
12-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Are the developers planningc on keeping the coronet sky platform? I drove my swoop up the winging platform, and an idea of using it as a swoop track came to mind!! Imagine how challenging, and that would be eh!!

Sadly our props are removed with each server reset, but I've been meaning to do another swoop race, and I'll have time to do it over the break now!

Here's the last one we had: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdMIt-BInZg

Kedem
12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Here is some fraps from the event we had. Me being me I left myself afk with fraps running over 45 gigs of space before the event....I ran out of space so I couldn't get everything. Thank you swg emu staff =) Lets have more like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWqe_oLFH_w

Joshino
12-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Sadly our props are removed with each server reset, but I've been meaning to do another swoop race, and I'll have time to do it over the break now!

Here's the last one we had: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdMIt-BInZg

Ah fail, forgot about part 2 and have cleaned out my fraps folder since :(

pvt900
12-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Slept at Friends house to play on SWG, here what happend Eclipse Festival happened 100% fireworks n party and rush working and essentially at 9:01pm every1 just Dc'd just 1 massive Disconnect and no ability to re Connect so it was poop MO's was better everyone got turned into a ball and insta die no matter the location and dc'd around 2 minutes later.
And don't forget the Dark Vs Light Massive PvE/PvP battle and laggin it was glorious until the massive server slice(DC)

But offically SWg was a classic and it need to be re activated especially since SONY Dc's everything under 20k user and doesnt bring in $$$$$ for monthly play time.
If BIo-WaR Co-Sgisn with SoE for ToR its all over in 6 Years

Hedge15
12-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Anywhere to watch a recording of the live stream (I think there was one...) from the final official events?

This was posted on the SWG forums:

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=farewell_star_wars_galaxies20111215

agentorange73
12-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I was there and it was just great...thanks to the staff for putting up this event and in general for putting all the hard work to keep SWG alive. I really enjoy playing on Liberator and getting back to Master Pistoleer and Master Smuggler. I just wish I had programming skills so that I could help, because I love this game and I've been playing it for 7 1/2 years...but the last time I programmed something was back in the 80's in AppleSoftBasic so I guess that doesn't help...lol ;)

Uru Moomintoog
12-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Am thinkin the route taken here is very personal. I know that there is a goal that will be achieved. Time will be the teller of all tales.

Uru Moomintoog

oddwan
12-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Just want to thank the emu team for the celebration of SWG live and the impact playing 8 years of Galaxies has had on many of us. It was sad to end on live but we had a lot of fun and it wasn't as weak an event as some made out, lol. Looks like you had a lot of fun too, and we are so thankful that there is swgemu to return to (quite a few from Eclipse had toons here already) We look forward to enjoying the many events you provide :)

/salute

kaque
12-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Did anybody happen to get any pictures of the giant Ewok tree in CNET on Lib? The day I thought of getting some pictures they took it away. My son is in AF basic training and they can't have computers or laptops. When I told him about it he really wanted to see it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SWGNATE
12-21-2011, 07:37 PM
so this question is to the emu team....will we ever have the EMU on par with SWG if given enough time???? i would think that since all the SWG stuff is now out of service you could be more open with the project and perhaps salvage peices to aid in the completion? Perhaps im wrong? I guess my question is will it ever take back off here on the emu, will Jump to lightspeed be with us eventually? atmospheric flight? Perhaps a true capital ship system and pvp along with that? i understand that your behind the full game enough as is but...will any of this become a reality? how far are you as the development team willing to go with this????

Vlada
12-21-2011, 07:59 PM
so this question is to the emu team....will we ever have the EMU on par with SWG if given enough time???? i would think that since all the SWG stuff is now out of service you could be more open with the project and perhaps salvage peices to aid in the completion? Perhaps im wrong? I guess my question is will it ever take back off here on the emu, will Jump to lightspeed be with us eventually? atmospheric flight? Perhaps a true capital ship system and pvp along with that? i understand that your behind the full game enough as is but...will any of this become a reality? how far are you as the development team willing to go with this????

SWGEmu Mission Statement (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69)

jesmarx
12-22-2011, 05:37 PM
the game hasen't been good in years

ahnooka
12-25-2011, 01:31 PM

I was there it wasn't anything special everything that was promised didn't happen ( they said we would be able to attack the death star and well :/ like everything about swg ,soe lied.
so long live emu and i can't wait for space

Auq-Din
12-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I was there it wasn't anything special everything that was promised didn't happen ( they said we would be able to attack the death star and well :/ like everything about swg ,soe lied.
so long live emu and i can't wait for space

Lol... SOE never said anything about the Death Star. This is how false rumours are created.

hoteo
12-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Maybe this was already answered, but what did the SOE end celebration even consist of? Can't find videos or anything online..

Vlada
12-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Maybe this was already answered, but what did the SOE end celebration even consist of? Can't find videos or anything online..

We thought it appropriate.

AlphaDeathmarch
12-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Six, wow u give it that long, I'm amazed. Ill see in 1 if they r still up and runing, it is after all sony.lol