PDA

View Full Version : VPNs and our services

Lolindir
11-09-2019, 07:10 PM
VPN and our services

November 9th 2019
The SWGEmu Team

We've heard many of you complain about the game and multi-account abuse that leads to unfair advantage to players that skirt the rules. A common tactic of these players has been to use VPN's to hide their real IP from our services. Taking community input into account we've updated our SWGEmu All Servers Rules and Policies (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30) around VPN usage:

The relevant section reads:

1.3 Connecting to our services through VPNs (Virtual Private Network) will not be accepted. Any account using this method of login will be rejected from our services and subject to automatic banning. Public IP’s must be used in order to gain access to our services.

We have been building tools to allow us to analyze multi-acct behavior and have started a process of scrubbing accounts where we see multiple accounts on the same IP without authorization through the multi-account household process. Our analysis of many of these accounts has show that VPN's are used by violators of our TOS as an attempt to hide from our detection systems. As we have moved to ban these people innocent players have been caught in the sweep, most unaware that their VPN usage puts them in the same IP pools as TOS violators. To that end we are rolling out more tools that deny registration via VPN and will auto-ban users who login to the game via VPN.

If you have been banned and wish to return to our services using a public IP please contact support and have your case reviewed. We have tools to allow us to manually review each case to help identify innocent people caught in this new policy. That said over the coming months we will become much more strict on this topic as the policy becomes more common knowledge in he community.

We are sorry if this inconveniences some valid VPN users, we know as an example some people use VPN's for privacy purposes or to stream content from other countries etc. However we feel strongly that as we move towards a post-1.0 world that the game needs as much protection from multi-account TOS violations as we can muster.

This is not a perfect solution, we still need the communities help, if you suspect someone of violating the TOS as always please report it to support and we will investigate and discipline where needed.

~SWGEmu team

LQUser
11-09-2019, 07:41 PM
What happens if someone who normally uses a VPN for privacy purposes or streaming content like you mentioned accidentally loads up swg whose still connected to the VPN and doesn't realize it? It's pretty easy using some minimalist VPN's to completely forget you are still connected to one if you leave it connected and come back to play hours later.

Not sure if some safeguards can be in place for this other than support tickets or to just be really really careful?

Lolindir
11-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Have to be very careful. You are in danger of getting your account suspended.

We are working on ways to just block anyone on a VPN to login to our servers. Trying again without a VPN will the get you in.

Kheb
11-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Im all for this feature and understand the reasons behind it, but from a fairness standpoint it would have been prudent to publish this feature before implementing it so inncocent people did not get caught up in it. Thanks for the hard work this is a much needed feature.

lordkator
11-09-2019, 08:08 PM
Im all for this feature and understand the reasons behind it, but from a fairness standpoint it would have been prudent to publish this feature before implementing it so inncocent people did not get caught up in it. Thanks for the hard work this is a much needed feature.

It's not fully automatic yet and we've only so far had ONE person out of double digits of people we banned actually come back to complain and we agreed.

The goal will be a soft warning and auto-ban after repeated offenses.

hybridtheory
11-09-2019, 08:12 PM
10/10

stonehocker
11-09-2019, 09:19 PM
I don't even know what a VPN is, but good work. Very excited as we get closer and closer....

Kheb
11-09-2019, 10:19 PM
It's not fully automatic yet and we've only so far had ONE person out of double digits of people we banned actually come back to complain and we agreed.

The goal will be a soft warning and auto-ban after repeated offenses.

Ok, my misunderstanding, i thought it was fully armed and operational. Thanks for the clarification.

KhoridonSarin
11-10-2019, 12:27 AM
I don't even know what a VPN is, but good work. Very excited as we get closer and closer....

Doesn't this "really" all revolve around ADK's?!?! Let's not kid ourselves.
Make them no-trade and be done with it. Seems like a much easier solution.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort you guys put in.
Either way, thanks for all that you do!
🥰

hybridtheory
11-10-2019, 03:58 AM
Doesn't this "really" all revolve around ADK's?!?! Let's not kid ourselves.
Make them no-trade and be done with it. Seems like a much easier solution.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort you guys put in.
Either way, thanks for all that you do!

While ADK's are part of it this will also be a big step in stopping people from being able to multi account to farm resources, mobs, city lots, in the future. Especially if a future server has less character slots per account.

Now you just have to find a way to ensure people with multiple accounts so their wife, brother, kid, dog, can all play aren't just actually doing the same thing.

splntz
11-10-2019, 03:34 PM
I have a slight problem with this. I work from home sometimes. This means that I need to VPN into work. Being that i'm home I sometimes play SWG while waiting for phone calls. This can reflect my works IP address. Can I give you my work IP and you guys keep it on file or something?

Edit: i'd like to add that I have SWG on my work laptop as well, and sometimes will be at hotels and play, is this a problem?

Walking carpet
11-10-2019, 04:57 PM
You know that many countries around the world requires the use of VPNs since there governments blocks many parts of the internet, also those who travel to those countries and still want to play?
I recommend allowing VPNs only on demand by users put there names on a list and then you can check them for abuse.
Blocking it all is too drastic in a free world.

Lolindir
11-10-2019, 05:24 PM
You know that many countries around the world requires the use of VPNs since there governments blocks many parts of the internet, also those who travel to those countries and still want to play?
I recommend allowing VPNs only on demand by users put there names on a list and then you can check them for abuse.
Blocking it all is too drastic in a free world.I would feel sorry for people in cases like that, but we will not start with an on demand thing and have to check them. Then we are back at what we do now. You have no idea how much time some of us spend on this project, searching and banning. It is ridiculous. I'm soon at my limit of it and this can't come soon enough. Just today I have searched a bunch more and banned 19 of the accounts for multiple accounts. last month i banned 84 accounts in one day. I also had a record that day, one guy having 27 accounts. I hope people understand that we need to control this before we go to 1.0 and that means we will not allow VPNs. For the ones who can't or will not login to services without a VPN, I'm sorry, but then we are not the server for you. It will actually be a very little part of the community that only have VPN as an option.

lordkator
11-10-2019, 06:29 PM
I have a slight problem with this. I work from home sometimes. This means that I need to VPN into work. Being that i'm home I sometimes play SWG while waiting for phone calls. This can reflect my works IP address. Can I give you my work IP and you guys keep it on file or something?

Edit: i'd like to add that I have SWG on my work laptop as well, and sometimes will be at hotels and play, is this a problem?

We will roll with this slowly, in the begining it will be about automated checks, emailing people when they show up on a new IP. Much like WoW and other games will do when you're moving your account around. It'll help with people who get accounts stolen etc.

Blocking it all is too drastic in a free world.

I happen to work for one of the same types of companies! And I traveled 100k miles this year already! I'm going to be a live tester myself and the everyone can laugh at me every time the system bans me!

Again we will roll this out slowly, we are deploying the tools now and you will always have the option to ask for an exception. But as Lolindr says this is a major pain for everyone in game and on staff. We must make it better for everyone involved. We will be leveraging new machine learning based detection technology and we will develop more of our own tech to make this easier for everyone.

Pitchcontrol
11-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Great changes you guys are making :) Iff no adk's, are the devs going to slow down decay a bit in 1.0 because you only can use a weapon a few buffs right now at speedcap. I was thinking of non tradeable adk's but no adk's is fine too. :)

snash123
11-11-2019, 12:19 AM
Within minutes of the server coming back up after a restart earlier today, the IRIS Doctors and their accompanying Entertainers were all back up and running.

Will this be investigated? I dont believe for a second there are 6 individual people running these characters!

Monoxxide
11-11-2019, 01:17 AM
This change is absolutely based. Good work, guys.

Walking carpet
11-11-2019, 03:09 PM
This thread is about VPNs. Future ideas will have to wait, or be posted somewhere else.

I would feel sorry for people in cases like that, but we will not start with an on demand thing and have to check them. Then we are back at what we do now. You have no idea how much time some of us spend on this project, searching and banning. It is ridiculous. I'm soon at my limit of it and this can't come soon enough. Just today I have searched a bunch more and banned 19 of the accounts for multiple accounts. last month i banned 84 accounts in one day. I also had a record that day, one guy having 27 accounts. I hope people understand that we need to control this before we go to 1.0 and that means we will not allow VPNs. For the ones who can't or will not login to services without a VPN, I'm sorry, but then we are not the server for you. It will actually be a very little part of the community that only have VPN as an option.

Man your a good Hunter :) however I disagree about this VPN policy
My point about VPNs is that many legit people have to use it ,there is Chinese players here that requires it and CCP tries to lock them down , now the Emu will block them down from the free world ,and theres about 12 to 15 countries that censor the internet , I have lots of knowledge in current world politics I know some will start saying its a racist decision and I dont want the Emu to be tagged has such.

remember that VPN is the only window to the free world for residents of those countries ,People are not the issue its there governments indoctrination to keep there populations as dumb as they can , people must see whats out there to reverse this trend

https://thenetmonitor.org/system/images/W1siZiIsIjIwMTcvMDYvMjcvMThfMjRfNTRfODQ1XzIwMTdfYm xvY2tlZF9ieV90aGVtZS5wbmciXV0/2017-blocked-by-theme.png

hybridtheory
11-11-2019, 03:37 PM
I have lots of knowledge in current world politics I know some will start saying its a racist decision and I dont want the Emu to be tagged has such.

LOL
You have to twist pretty hard to make a basic decision about fairness, server health, and following the rules into a racial topic.

Walking carpet
11-11-2019, 03:51 PM
LOL
You have to twist pretty hard to make a basic decision about fairness, server health, and following the rules into a racial topic.

Im far from racist If I had the powers I would eradicate censorship worldwide so the planet could live in synch
by blocking VPNs your blocking whole countries
just pretend you live in 1 of those countries and your a legit emu player , see a broader picture put yourself in there shoes a minute or 2

hybridtheory
11-11-2019, 03:58 PM
I have lots of knowledge in current world politics I know some will start saying its a racist decision and I dont want the Emu to be tagged has such.

I am sure a proxy server or private network could be made in the future for these people so they can connect, however.....
Trying to phrase the situation to make it appear as it could be a racial prejudice motivated issue is a ridiculous statement.

Walking carpet
11-11-2019, 04:14 PM
I am sure a proxy server or private network could be made in the future for these people so they can connect, however.....
Trying to phrase the situation to make it appear as it could be a racial prejudice motivated issue is a ridiculous statement.

No ,I think that the Emu staff dindt thought of all the implications before making this rule

FlyinDuke
11-11-2019, 04:57 PM
I use VPN for privacy. Can you post the host name or IP addresses of the server so that I can configure my firewall to route traffic through straight internet to the server instead of through vpn

FlyinDuke
11-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Also, does this mean you are building network scanning tools into the client to scan home networks?

Praxi34
11-11-2019, 06:00 PM
Right decision, right time. Really optimistic about 1.0 especially around server security and regulation, much needed.

Thanks goodness about the ADK and char limit. Saved us right there!!!

Lolindir
11-11-2019, 08:22 PM
No ,I think that the Emu staff dindt thought of all the implications before making this ruleThank you for your feedback, we have discussed this internally, but I will bring your concerns to the team.

Also, does this mean you are building network scanning tools into the client to scan home networks?
For obvious reasons, we will not get in to how we detect multiple accounts.

lordkator
11-11-2019, 09:59 PM
I would caution people who say we didn't think about what we have decided, this has been going on literally for almost a year.

I've been building tools and doing data analysis for close to a year now.

We've been using a machine learning service to analyze registrations and cut them to 1/3rd of what they were.

In February of 2019 I built out the activation workflow, that improved the number of real email's people use now.

I work internationally, for a massive multi-national company (not hard to figure out who) and I fly just about bi-weekly, I have people in my group from China, Dubai, Australia, EU etc.. on ward..

I'm very aware of the challenges governments have applied to the internet, I donate to the The Free Software Foundation (https://www.fsf.org/) monthly.

It saddens me to think some people would accuse us of racism or having not thought this decision out.

Its easy, this game was not designed to be fun with a single person having 27 accounts (WTF 270 Characters!?) and the community has complained for years about us not doing enough.

Many times even over the last year people have complained, I bit my lip because I knew what our data was showing, I built tools to empower our CSR's to research everything.

People who were paying attention should have known something was up when I pushed this commit (https://github.com/swgemu/Core3/commit/cd5b463d60f34de138861bff5b00d8554655103a), gee I wonder what I was building there?

Now we have 11,187,396 records to analyze and we've built tools to leverage that data and now we're adding more to apply machine learning against the data to detect cheaters.

I am happy to learn with the community, but I will not provide anymore details of our technology "behind the curtain" and if you have valid needs I'm happy to review each case, submit a support ticket and state your case. But I will warn you, more than once this has happened and I've found cheaters trying to make up stories, we have the data, don't lie to us, be honest and discuss your situation with respect and be specific and we will do our best to help.

If this policy is too hard for you then you are welcome to play elsewhere, I have made it extremely easy with ZonamaDev (https://github.com/Zonama/ZonamaDev) to setup a home server, have a blast, we're not holding anyone back!

Here, together, in this community, we want to enjoy a deeply connected game set in the Star Wars Universe, to do that we must do our best to reduce cheating to a minimum.

Hieroglyphics
11-11-2019, 10:03 PM
[FONT=Verdana]
For obvious reasons, we will not get in to how we detect multiple accounts.

is the method legal, and not violating ones right to privacy? Definitely an eye brow raiser. while i hardly play anymore and log in seldomly as the game dried out due to classic WoW. i definitely love my Nord VPN as it secures my privacy and that is very important to me, and cause blizzard is ran by monkeys sometimes the only way to get access to the game when their login servers for the east coast mess up is to go around it is via VPN.

Lolindir
11-11-2019, 10:10 PM
is the method legal, and not violating ones right to privacy? Definitely an eye brow raiser. while i hardly play anymore and log in seldomly as the game dried out due to classic WoW. i definitely love my Nord VPN as it secures my privacy and that is very important to me, and cause blizzard is ran by monkeys sometimes the only way to get access to the game when their login servers for the east coast mess up is to go around it is via VPN.Enlighten me how it would be considered illegal to know who log in to our services

About Nord VPN... I would look at this video from JayzTwoCents and his views on the security they provide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJZFTy_SAc

lordkator
11-11-2019, 10:22 PM
is the method legal, and not violating ones right to privacy? Definitely an eye brow raiser. ..

Everything we do today is on the server side and any communications between our servers and services is encrypted. I've discussed security (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226333&p=1608609&viewfull=1#post1608609) a bit before but happy to address concerns as needed. That said again we're not going to explain in more detail what we're doing because cheaters will gladly use that to find ways around the systems and we don't have the resources to tackle that cat and mouse game.

We're very sensitive to privacy, if you notice we only have a "user experience" pixel on our site, when I first got here we were firing all sorts of stuff like Google and Facebook, I removed all those.

TrisxoTarqSWG
11-12-2019, 03:12 AM
I saw his comments on this on Mobyius's channel, he sounds quite confident lol

rease
11-12-2019, 05:19 AM
Man your a good Hunter :) however I disagree about this VPN policy
remember that VPN is the only window to the free world for residents of those countries ,People are not the issue its there governments indoctrination to keep there populations as dumb as they can , people must see whats out there to reverse this trend

But we are so few to play from those countries, so nobody matter. A friend in Cambodia is using Shadow Cloud Computer.
Without VPN, no Full Netflix, no order on amazon and many limits on youtube about politics contents and many many many other limits ...
You must live in those countries to understand what limits to freedom mean.
fortunately, technology often provide a solution at the end (if gouvernement doesn't shut down all internet).

MrKraken
11-12-2019, 07:19 AM
VPN blocking is becoming pretty common place for just these sorts of reasons. Yes it affects those in certain oppressive countries, but there are probably far more people that use VPN's in SWG for nefarious purposes than those just trying to circumvent their government's lunacy.

Hell, I want to watch the Mandalorian right now, but can't due to ******+ VPN blocking and ******+ doesn't launch in the UK until March 31st 2020!!!!

Valkyra
11-12-2019, 02:45 PM
I would caution people who say we didn't think about what we have decided, this has been going on literally for almost a year.

We've been using a machine learning service to analyze registrations and cut them to 1/3rd of what they were.

In February of 2019 I built out the activation workflow, that improved the number of real email's people use now.

I work internationally, for a massive multi-national company (not hard to figure out who) and I fly just about bi-weekly, I have people in my group from China, Dubai, Australia, EU etc.. on ward..

I'm very aware of the challenges governments have applied to the internet, I donate to the The Free Software Foundation (https://www.fsf.org/) monthly.

It saddens me to think some people would accuse us of racism or having not thought this decision out.

Its easy, this game was not designed to be fun with a single person having 27 accounts (WTF 270 Characters!?) and the community has complained for years about us not doing enough.

Many times even over the last year people have complained, I bit my lip because I knew what our data was showing, I built tools to empower our CSR's to research everything.

People who were paying attention should have known something was up when I pushed this commit (https://github.com/swgemu/Core3/commit/cd5b463d60f34de138861bff5b00d8554655103a), gee I wonder what I was building there?

Now we have 11,187,396 records to analyze and we've built tools to leverage that data and now we're adding more to apply machine learning against the data to detect cheaters.

I am happy to learn with the community, but I will not provide anymore details of our technology "behind the curtain" and if you have valid needs I'm happy to review each case, submit a support ticket and state your case. But I will warn you, more than once this has happened and I've found cheaters trying to make up stories, we have the data, don't lie to us, be honest and discuss your situation with respect and be specific and we will do our best to help.

If this policy is too hard for you then you are welcome to play elsewhere, I have made it extremely easy with ZonamaDev (https://github.com/Zonama/ZonamaDev) to setup a home server, have a blast, we're not holding anyone back!

Here, together, in this community, we want to enjoy a deeply connected game set in the Star Wars Universe, to do that we must do our best to reduce cheating to a minimum.

LK is literally the hero SWGEmu needs, but does not deserve

LQUser
11-12-2019, 07:33 PM
LK is literally the hero SWGEmu needs, but does not deserve

Agreed. I look forward to future developments.

Loc-nar
11-12-2019, 07:39 PM

All this and didn't you at one point get pushed out of this project?

Praxi34
11-12-2019, 09:01 PM

Be great if you could contribute code instead of contributing your opinion to be fair. Would be vastly more helpful.

Walking carpet
11-12-2019, 10:03 PM
VPN blocking is becoming pretty common place for just these sorts of reasons. Yes it affects those in certain oppressive countries, but there are probably far more people that use VPN's in SWG for nefarious purposes than those just trying to circumvent their government's lunacy.

Hell, I want to watch the Mandalorian right now, but can't due to ******+ VPN blocking and ******+ doesn't launch in the UK until March 31st 2020!!!!

your right on that point but still , I think blocking whole countries is bad.
My guild is international , we welcome everyone from anywhere as long as theres no politics or religion discussions, Games are for people to disconnect from reality and everyone is equal.
@LK and Lolindir, i dont think any of the staff is racisit I never did , im just french Canadian that may not use the right sentences typing in english
but who cares what I think

Misk Brebran
11-13-2019, 12:31 AM
So weve hammered to death the opinions, but what about solutions?

Now most of you are much more tech savvy than I. Ive only used a vpn to watch the the summer olympics, lol. From what i understand, ppl will be banned for using a vpn when they login, by an algorithm. Then they will need to contact customer support to be considered for “unbanning”.

Without getting into the weeds at all about any plans what-so-ever, will there be any processes in place to allow for users who are required to use vpns due to their location? Could there be a self-declared option, static ip or some other method that would allow them to connect by vpn but limit the number of connections to the server?

Staff, thx for all your hard work! Community, stay calm and Star Wars on! We’ll get over this speed bump as well. We always do

Caio.

—edit—One more question for the staff. Is there, will there be anyway to prempt the banning, i.e. let CS know ahead of time or something? Thx again!

lordkator
11-13-2019, 04:01 AM

I had real life things to deal with as many people on the team have over the years.

I've been up front about my history (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216279) with the project.

I've never been pushed out, banned or had any disciplinary action against me.

captjackharkness
11-13-2019, 04:08 AM
So can we still log on 2 players at same time or No? Just asking I use to back in the day. You guys are doing amazing stuff...

Lolindir
11-13-2019, 06:45 AM
So weve hammered to death the opinions, but what about solutions?

Now most of you are much more tech savvy than I. Ive only used a vpn to watch the the summer olympics, lol. From what i understand, ppl will be banned for using a vpn when they login, by an algorithm. Then they will need to contact customer support to be considered for “unbanning”.
We have done the same thing manually for some time, and do so still (not all tools have been implemented yet). If we see someone with multiple accounts, they get banned. It is very tedious and time consuming work. I personally have almost retired from the team over it. Sitting hours at end searching and banning. Some of this will be automatically when all tools have been implemented.

Without getting into the weeds at all about any plans what-so-ever, will there be any processes in place to allow for users who are required to use vpns due to their location? Could there be a self-declared option, static ip or some other method that would allow them to connect by vpn but limit the number of connections to the server?
I don't think we will be able to have a self-declared option. Cheaters will exploit that easily and to be honest, there are a lot of cheaters here, evident from all the bans that have been handed out over the years and not only multiple accounts.

—edit—One more question for the staff. Is there, will there be anyway to prempt the banning, i.e. let CS know ahead of time or something? Thx again!
As far as I understand, when everything is implemented and you try to log in to our services with a known VPN, you will get an error. If you get in to our system and others have the same IP, all on the IP will get a ban. Thats when you would have to come to support to have your case looked at. We will not manually tell people they are breaking our TOS. It is any persons responsibility to read the TOS, with any service they use, so that they are aware of the rules they have to live by.

So can we still log on 2 players at same time or No? Just asking I use to back in the day. You guys are doing amazing stuff...
You can still log on 2 characters on the same account, as Basilisk have always had the ability to.

Surrena
11-14-2019, 06:02 AM
Here come the whiners who used VPN to make multiple accounts. Why the hell would you need VPN to play games? Played games my whole life only used VPN to unlock some games that were open in USA before EU. If you are at work, work not play swgemu.

Good job staff, more measures to ban multiple accounts owners to come, I hope!

PS: dont know how swgemu staff is structured but I hope LordKator gets in charge, because hes aces. Project is finally moving in the right direction for once.

Lolindir
11-14-2019, 03:33 PM
This isn't a discussion about characters or ADKs and numbers of characters and ADKs that have been mentioned isn't set in stone and 1.0 isn't here yet. The thread is about VPN, so lets focus on what this thread is about and let the other stuff be for another thread.

WohenForgotHisPassword
11-14-2019, 08:18 PM
I use a VPN, virtually always, on both my phone and PC. I started because I don't have a data plan on my cell and I use a lot of wifi hot-spots around town. However, I've been under the impression, for sometime now, that it's recommended in general that everyone use a VPN.

I only have one account but I can understand how VPNs would present a challenge to monitoring that.. not looking forward to having to choose between a VPN and SWG.

Fastburn
11-14-2019, 08:41 PM
I use a VPN, virtually always, on both my phone and PC. I started because I don't have a data plan on my cell and I use a lot of wifi hot-spots around town. However, I've been under the impression, for sometime now, that it's recommended in general that everyone use a VPN.

I only have one account but I can understand how VPNs would present a challenge to monitoring that.. not looking forward to having to choose between a VPN and SWG.

We're asking that your traffic to us goes outside the VPN, that doesn't mean you can't keep it running for whatever else you might want to do. Most of these services have the ability to exclude a IP from routing through the VPN.

WohenForgotHisPassword
11-14-2019, 09:18 PM
We're asking that your traffic to us goes outside the VPN, that doesn't mean you can't keep it running for whatever else you might want to do. Most of these services have the ability to exclude a IP from routing through the VPN.

Oh! Thanks very much for the clarification!

Is is the launchpad or the client that needs to be excluded from the VPN?

Surrena
11-15-2019, 06:31 AM

Yes in general every VPN service provider ad recommends you pay to use their VPN services. Ping will almost certainly be worse for you when you use VPN, not sure why would someone go for that?

Just curious what are people afraid of? targeted ads or ISP knowing that that you look at dirty farm animal sites? NSA knows it either way VPN or not.

rease
11-15-2019, 11:47 PM
Yes in general every VPN service provider ad recommends you pay to use their VPN services. Ping will almost certainly be worse for you when you use VPN, not sure why would someone go for that?

Just curious what are people afraid of? targeted ads or ISP knowing that that you look at dirty farm animal sites? NSA knows it either way VPN or not.

Great great News. But I'm using NordVPN and I didn't found this option. Something special to do ?
Sorry I'm a noob :/

No1 had just 2 slots on live, that I knew anyway. We bought multi-accounts. I had 4, wife had 5. Contrary to popular belief, live accounts were not limited, they just cost money.
Exactly, I had bought 4 Boxes and I was Paying 4 subscriptions.

To Access to our country TVs, newspaper website blocked in the country we are living. During 2 years, my Bank Website wasn't joinable, they have removed the restriction in september ...
As Tourist it's not important, as expatriate it's really different. But like I said, I think we are few.

NSA knows it either way VPN or not.
I hope not, even if they can, I don't care ... I'm more worry about writing in a forum about stupid king in thailand and risk Jail.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1435150/lese-majeste-law-and-reality

Scurby
11-16-2019, 12:45 AM
I'm listening..

The VPN discussion is important. ADK's? Char slots? Unlocks? Really not fully decided. Don't consider this thread a declaration of 1.0 features. What 1.0 will hold will be a mystery to all who make a toon. That much I can assure you.

On the other hand, Multi-account issues will be secured. Many options remain open to be able to play swgemu. Exceptions can be made by using the open communication channels provided. Our plan was never to exclude any individual, but to secure a safe place for everyone.

Without illegitimate use of a VPN to create undetected multi-accounts to advance in the game we all have the same advantage.

I'm also watching. Everyone.

rease
11-16-2019, 01:10 AM
Without illegitimate use of a VPN to create undetected multi-accounts to advance in the game we all have the same advantage.
Sure, I understand the problem about one guy with 10-15 accounts managing a metroplois and with 10 ADKs, it's a big issue.
But if you change the characters limits to 1 or 2 by account (with unlock instead of ADK), that's already remove the "city managing problem" may be vet rewards should be linked (like crystal quest of Jedi)

we all have the same advantage.
That will never happen, we don't spend the same time IG (Should limit to 2H by day), we don't know the game mechanics same, we don't have the same number of friends to help ...
I'm leaving too far to get a good ping without lost packet, So I'm disadvantage for pvp and die stupidly in pve sometimes too.
I'm french and we love equality (as a socialist country) but it's a dream, just a dream :)

Lolindir
11-16-2019, 05:25 AM
That will never happen, we don't spend the same time IG (Should limit to 2H by day), we don't know the game mechanics same, we don't have the same number of friends to help ...
I'm leaving too far to get a good ping without lost packet, So I'm disadvantage for pvp and die stupidly in pve sometimes too.
I'm french and we love equality (as a socialist country) but it's a dream, just a dream :)Ofc he is right, we all have the same chance to get ahead in the galaxy, if the TOS is followed. Knowledge and time spent is on you. If you don't have the time to get ahead, don't expect code to help you. It would not be fair if someone putting in 4 hours a week get to be at the same place that someone who put in 20 hours. If you lack knowledge, learn.

bigevil
11-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Ofc he is right, we all have the same chance to get ahead in the galaxy, if the TOS is followed. Knowledge and time spent is on you. If you don't have the time to get ahead, don't expect code to help you. It would not be fair if someone putting in 4 hours a week get to be at the same place that someone who put in 20 hours. If you lack knowledge, learn.

Quite so. All the same chances exist, but the limiter is the desire or ability to spend the same level of time and effort. I cannot hold it against player "x" that they can afford to play 20hrs a week and have developed friendships with other like-minded folk. Heck, I started on the forums, writing guides, and pestering the heck out of people because i got tired of being ignorant. I had to "get smart." :)

.....and as for VPNs.... as i read through here I am continually centered by one thought...there is no perfect answer. You are trying to mitigate a flaw in the player structure of the game. If you take away VPN use, some will be affected. If you block certain zones, some will be affected. It will come down to the ruling lords' (most certainly not me) comfort level with what is most effective with acceptable losses. Some will not be happy. That's normal.

Refining and ensuring a superior quality of play for the largest group possible.....that's the rub. :)

Lolindir
11-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Removed several off topic posts. Lets keep this thread on track

FlyinDuke
11-17-2019, 09:16 PM

Can you provide the ip or hostname that needs to be blocked, or a port used? I have my VPN configured in router and need to unblock there.

The reason I asked if the client scans a local network is that, while I respect the TOS and such, I expect some respect when it comes to the privacy of the devices on my network. Having a game run as a network scanner is not good, and I'm looking for some assurance that it isn't one. I'm defining network scanner as software that will scan route tables or take client IP and ping subnet with it for results.

lordkator
11-17-2019, 10:24 PM
Can you provide the ip or hostname that needs to be blocked, or a port used? I have my VPN configured in router and need to unblock there.

The reason I asked if the client scans a local network is that, while I respect the TOS and such, I expect some respect when it comes to the privacy of the devices on my network. Having a game run as a network scanner is not good, and I'm looking for some assurance that it isn't one. I'm defining network scanner as software that will scan route tables or take client IP and ping subnet with it for results.

We don't do anything on client side but to be clear most modern games do!

Fastburn
11-18-2019, 02:47 AM
I think you mean excluded, but it should be what you see in your Launchpad > Settings > Login Servers > Click SWGEMU > Click Edit > Should show Hostname and Port that need to be excluded.

snash123
11-18-2019, 10:08 AM
I know this is a bit of an out there suggestion and I dare say I will be flamed to ashes for the mere suggestion, but how about the people who want to use VPN's send a picture of their disks with Activation Code on the case?

The Code is then assigned to that user and be allowed to access the server through VPN. If they are banned by the system after first sign on, they can contact Support who will then check their Code has been assigned and unban them so they can continue to use a VPN. Assuming there is an option (or one that can be created) to excluded from further banning upon signing on, it will be a one time only procedure for both player and Admin.

I just think its the best way to stop any more people leaving the server, as it is the population has plummeted and if there is a way to stop losing anymore players I think it would be worth the effort.

What is the point of all the work that has gone in to this project if players are going to be alienated for their choice of security? Especially those who I dare say make a sizable contribution to "Pay the Bills".

I dont use VPN, I have never used VPN, I dont give a flying Mynocks tail about VPN, but I have seen how the population has plummeted and its a shame when this is the best Pre-CU SWG Emu server available to all of us dedicated fans.

Loc-nar
11-18-2019, 10:13 AM
I know this is a bit of an out there suggestion and I dare say I will be flamed to ashes for the mere suggestion, but how about the people who want to use VPN's send a picture of their disks with Activation Code on the case?

The Code is then assigned to that user and be allowed to access the server through VPN. If they are banned by the system after first sign on, they can contact Support who will then check their Code has been assigned and unban them so they can continue to use a VPN. Assuming there is an option (or one that can be created) to excluded from further banning upon signing on, it will be a one time only procedure for both player and Admin.

I just think its the best way to stop any more people leaving the server, as it is the population has plummeted and if there is a way to stop losing anymore players I think it would be worth the effort.

What is the point of all the work that has gone in to this project if players are going to be alienated for their choice of security? Especially those who I dare say make a sizable contribution to "Pay the Bills".

I dont use VPN, I have never used VPN, I dont give a flying Mynocks tail about VPN, but I have seen how the population has plummeted and its a shame when this is the best Pre-CU SWG Emu server available to all of us dedicated fans.

I believe all this will only be important when the new server is launched. IE this work and testing is more for when everyone and their brother wants to put 30 accounts on the new server at start up. You wont be lacking for people to play with on the new server.

snash123
11-18-2019, 10:22 AM
You wont be lacking for people to play with on the new server.

I do hope you're right =)

lordkator
11-18-2019, 12:15 PM
I believe all this will only be important when the new server is launched. IE this work and testing is more for when everyone and their brother wants to put 30 accounts on the new server at start up. You wont be lacking for people to play with on the new server.

Yes the goal here is to test our processes, tools and policy in advance of the 1.0 official server. We need to know how well these things work before that launches, not after we have 27+ accounts controlled by one person and have to clean it up afterwards.

I like the access code idea, that said we have known way to "Verify" the codes, without the master list which has been lost in the shuffle of the shutdown we have no way to know someone hasn't just printed themselves a new one.

snash123
11-18-2019, 01:24 PM
I like the access code idea, that said we have know way to "Verify" the codes, without the master list which has been lost in the shuffle of the shutdown we have no way to know someone hasn't just printed themselves a new one.

Yes, I didnt think of that, such a shame there are so many dishonest people who would actually do that!

trasixes
11-20-2019, 07:45 PM
My stomach turns when I see the level of disrespect some display toward Lordkator, et al.

LK has donated almost $5,000 to the project, and given his tech background, I can't even render a guess as to the value of his time donated to the project. Same for the entire former/current team. The kicker? I bet few, if any, actually play the game. Let that sink in, folks. They invest time, and money, into a project for others to play.

I know most are thankful, and respectful, but to those who might complain or show some sort of disrespect - remember how easily we could be sitting here (14 years later) wishing we could experience the old game. Without these guys, that is exactly what we'd be doing.

MittFisto
11-22-2019, 11:04 AM
Keep up the great work!

dromag67
11-26-2019, 07:11 AM
Very thankful for the thought and hard work you guys put into all of this. I can't wait for 1.0, a clean slate and the changes that will likely come with it. There's still nothing like the experience SWG provided and its certainly worth the wait.

Muon
12-03-2019, 03:32 AM
This is good. Security is not improved by using a VPN with games like this. Any decent hardware VPN device can decrypt the security used by the SWG client in real time. It's more like offering up your info and naively paying for it. I can imagine folks using these services for illicit purposes don't care but I do.

I feel safer not having my own security compromised by other players insecure VPN's. Thanks for this security improvement.

ultragigatank
12-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Yes, I didnt think of that, such a shame there are so many dishonest people who would actually do that!

You have no idea. Just amazingly no idea of the stories, the lies, the straight up crazy conversations you will hear about why 10 accounts are needed from the same address.

In my experience about 1% of the total stories I have read/heard are real. That's only our server. So this team coming up with a way to combat it? I'm all ears it's ridiculous the amount of leg work our staff has to do to combat people who break the rules, then call us the bad guys for the consequences afterward.

rease
01-01-2020, 10:17 PM
I'm in a hotel for few days; I don't launch my vpn and I can't login with a "VPN error" ??

lordkator
01-01-2020, 10:51 PM
I'm in a hotel for few days; I don't launch my vpn and I can't login with a "VPN error" ??

Please contact live support and see if they can help.

rease
01-01-2020, 11:01 PM

It's fine, I launch swg at home by teamviewer. Thanks.

MennoH5589
01-02-2020, 12:39 PM
I can't log in. It says Terms of service violation. Log in from VPN denied.
What does this mean? I only play from my laptop at home.

Can anyone help me out?

Jaws
01-02-2020, 12:40 PM
I can't log in. It says Terms of service violation. Log in from VPN denied.
What does this mean? I only play from my laptop at home.

Can anyone help me out?

Best contact CSR's for that with a ticket or LiveChat.

MennoH5589
01-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Is there any reason why this service could flag my account for using a VPN while I'm not?
I've just been playing from my home laptop. I don't use it for work or anything and as far as I can tell there isn't anything VPN related on my laptop.
I didn't even know what a VPN was untill just now when I couldn't log into SWG?

Anyone?

Jaws
01-02-2020, 01:11 PM
The server's rebooting atm. That's why you think you can't connect :)

Anyhow - let's take it over to LiveChat instead of here in the forum.

lordkator
01-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Is there any reason why this service could flag my account for using a VPN while I'm not?
I've just been playing from my home laptop. I don't use it for work or anything and as far as I can tell there isn't anything VPN related on my laptop.
I didn't even know what a VPN was untill just now when I couldn't log into SWG?

Anyone?

Contact CSR's for that with a ticket or LiveChat

MennoH5589
01-02-2020, 01:14 PM
I'm trying to live chat but Jaws isn't responding

Jaws
01-02-2020, 01:19 PM
You rebooted your router - the livechat session died when you did. You have to connect with a new one. I'm ALWAYS here.

lordkator
01-02-2020, 01:23 PM
This is NOT a support thread, please contact support if you're having issues logging in.

rightguard
01-02-2020, 02:02 PM
system doesnt work if it detects building isps, that are very common in central london as a vpn. although each apartment has its own ip that is dynamic

rease
01-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Contacted ... I will use my "wifi sharing function" from my android during the waiting time for relisting my vendor stuff.

Smokin28
01-11-2020, 12:11 AM
The only downside to this is "Times are a changing" These days pc gamers have other ways to game, without purchasing a $5000 pc system.
There is a service out now, called Shadow Gaming. Basically... you login to their Shadow pc system via the net and your pc system, then using their upgraded high dollar hardware,
you play the game on their pc and it streams to your pc via the net. I hope I explained that correctly.

So basically, you and your low end office pc at home, can play 2019-2020 triple A titles at 100 FPS using the shadow systems 16GB GPU, 8 core CPU, 16GB DDR4 Ram and their 1GBps download 100MBps upload internet.
How does this effect gamers who play SWGemu? They can't use the Shadow system or service with SWGEMU because SWGEMU blocks it for VPN TOS violation.

Jaws
01-11-2020, 12:37 AM
So basically, you and your low end office pc at home, can play 2019-2020 triple A titles at 100 FPS using the shadow systems 16GB GPU, 8 core CPU, 16GB DDR4 Ram and their 1GBps download 100MBps upload internet.
How does this effect gamers who play SWGemu? They can't use the Shadow system or service with SWGEMU because SWGEMU blocks it for VPN TOS violation.

They could easily use a modern the low-end office PC at home to play this. These were the requirement specs at launch:
CPU: Intel Pentium III 1 GHz or AMD Athlon 1 GHz.
RAM: 512 MB RAM.
GPU: 32 MB 3D Graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability.
DX: DirectX® 9.0c.
Store: 4.25 GB of free hard drive space required. ...
Sound: PCI, USB, or Onboard Audio Device.

A TI-34 could probably run SWG

Lolindir
01-11-2020, 05:47 AM
You can run this game on a potato. Just connect it to the wall socket, a screen, keyboard and mice. The water in the potato will fix the rest.

rease
01-11-2020, 07:35 AM
My Ip in a big hotel was blocked too... So I'm not surprised for Shadow.

You can play on your tablet/smartphone to swg with shadow ... You can play with a potatoe but not with a 1000$ smartphone ... Potatoes > to all

speroavol
01-11-2020, 02:10 PM
Are there any plans to allow for ShadowPC users? My physical computer really cannot handle most of the games I play, so I use Shadow for all of my gaming :(

lordkator
01-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Are there any plans to allow for ShadowPC users? My physical computer really cannot handle most of the games I play, so I use Shadow for all of my gaming :(

Nope, it is not needed for SWGEmu, literally as everyone has said here, the specs for SWGEmu are so low you do not need to stream from some online service.

Chui
01-13-2020, 02:54 PM
I play on a ten year old computer that won't even run Windows 10, so I use Linux. An AMD Radeon 6700 GPU. I can run at 50 FPS which is faster than most people can see. I can play even if y internet is only hitting 500Kbps, which sometimes happens where I live, with a ping of 150/200. If you have an old Win 2000 or Win XP computer in the basement, it will likely work.

Farelli
01-13-2020, 03:54 PM
... If you have an old Win 2000 or Win XP computer in the basement, it will likely work.

I'd go so far as to say that it will definitely work. The development team built SWG to work on 1999 PC's, and the graphics are based around that level of technology. Pretty much anything bought in the past 10 years should be able to run SWG as though you're running Solitaire.

The only snag will be the bloom from explosions and such.

Chui
01-13-2020, 04:04 PM
The only snag will be the bloom from explosions and such.

And that is adjustable in the graphics settings in the game.

lamikgb
01-14-2020, 04:01 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocked_in_Russia
Do you guys got job in RosKomNadzor?

rease
01-20-2020, 10:42 PM
I like to wake up with one character alreday connected and when I'm trying to log the second "VPN Denied" may be a ghost during night have done something !!!
Ticket submited !
Best bad idea of the year.

lordkator
01-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Your IP changed, I can see it on the forums. Whatever you're using to login keeps changing your IP.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems but I cannot express how many multi's we were dealing with, it was nuts, now this has allowed us to really clean up the multi's...

rease
01-22-2020, 12:00 AM
Your IP changed, I can see it on the forums. Whatever you're using to login keeps changing your IP.

I think you are talking about: Internet Providers and DHCP (may be, I'm not a computer Pro)
I never check my IP, I don't care about IP. I'm using internet, How it works is far away from me.
I'm using swg client to login ... There is an other way ???

I can understand you want to fight against Multi accounts, it's a swgemu choice, I respect it! But I was happy with my 4 accounts in 2004.
I don't think Multi is the problem, the free access to the game is the real problem. But that's another debate.

Jeremai
01-22-2020, 12:49 PM
"Just today I have searched a bunch more and banned 19 of the accounts for multiple accounts. last month i banned 84 accounts in one day."

Also if I felt the fist of this checks by my own i think its good thing your doing. I am no expert for internet nor computer and also if I would never use a second account I allways play with some fear that there is something what i cant prevent or simply did not know what leads to a ban.

For example: Recently I change my inet provider to a big player in my country. The provider has a service that is called "wlan to go" what is normally activated by default if you make contract with him and use his hardware. In this case a second "public" wlan will be activated on your router what.. long story short ...will lead to a ban if someone uses this to log in SWG.
As I use my own hardware to connect I never activated this. Well... this should also be a hint for other players maybe cheking if this may be a problem for them.

Other case
There are internet provider that use privat IP for the user and appear with a common external IP (for example some provider that offer inet via LTE or similar). Also in this case total different players local seperated from each other may appear as multiple account.

silencer
01-29-2020, 12:46 PM
I changed nothing to my internet connections and I get the famous warning message today when I tryed to login.
I'm not using a VPN, I made a ticket asking them to give my access back.
I will try to login tomorrow.

silencer
01-30-2020, 12:20 PM
Finally I can login today ...

Senolin
01-31-2020, 03:08 AM
I like to wake up with one character alreday connected and when I'm trying to log the second "VPN Denied" may be a ghost during night have done something !!!
Ticket submited !
Best bad idea of the year.

I know I'm kinda late on this. But you said you logged in via hotel wifi, mobile hotspot wifi and your home wifi. These will all change your ip address and the system will flag you. At least to my understanding

rease
01-31-2020, 07:41 AM
I know I'm kinda late on this. But you said you logged in via hotel wifi, mobile hotspot wifi and your home wifi. These will all change your ip address and the system will flag you. At least to my understanding

My ISP provide a dynamic IP. I asked some friend to check, all of them in France, cambodge and Japan have DynIP.

The hotel in Singapour is using a VPN or not. Some providers may be classified as VPN without being one (Like Shadow.tech or my hotel using a Provider classified as VPN/proxy).
I asked a friend (Thx HQbuffs), there is no real easy way to detect a VPN user without having a lot of false positive. But I trust the staff to find a way, I never doubt, they are good.

My puropose is about freedom, not about tech skills. It's a patriot swgemu act problem and I will fight against it even if I'm not so much IG active anymore.

I can't wait to see suncrusher and move on.

lordkator
01-31-2020, 09:03 AM
...there is no real easy way to detect a VPN user without having a lot of false-positive...

We have 5,600 unique IP logins every 24 hours, less than 0.1% are flagged as VPN.

VPN detection using machine learning (AI) is a lot more robust than you think. You're an edge case and we've already explained to you how to address it.

My purpose is about freedom, not about tech skills. It's a patriot swgemu act problem and I will fight against it even if I'm not so much IG active anymore.

This IS about Freedom, the freedom to enjoy a FREE GAME as it was designed and not have it abused by ***hats who think it's funny to have 27 accounts (270 Characters) and whack the economy out of shape.

This VPN system will be in place for the post 1.0 server, its the whole reason we're doing this now, we're testing at scale so our official server can be as clean as possible.

It'll never be perfect but saying we shouldn't police it because 0.1% of the people will have blocked it not a reasonable argument. Should we stop banning people for breaking the TOS because it's a small percentage of the overall population?

If you want freedom, you have it, the entire project is open source (sans our detection tools) and you can setup a server yourself tomorrow and invite as many people as you want and run zero VPN detection. You'll get awesome numbers of players and three humans.

Surrena
01-31-2020, 12:27 PM
My ISP provide a dynamic IP. I asked some friend to check, all of them in France, cambodge and Japan have DynIP.

The hotel in Singapour is using a VPN or not. Some providers may be classified as VPN without being one (Like Shadow.tech or my hotel using a Provider classified as VPN/proxy).
I asked a friend (Thx HQbuffs), there is no real easy way to detect a VPN user without having a lot of false positive. But I trust the staff to find a way, I never doubt, they are good.

My puropose is about freedom, not about tech skills. It's a patriot swgemu act problem and I will fight against it even if I'm not so much IG active anymore.

Every ISP gives you dynamic IP unless you request and pay for static one. Dynamic usually only changes your last number in IP.

I think you are just mad, because you cant bot the **** out of this game anymore. We literally have someone in our guild playing from Thailand and he has no issues what so ever.

Even if you are legit getting screwed by this lordkators creation, it cleanses this project of cancer that is multi accounting. Next step is way to stop approved multi accounting, because the protocol in place right now is very very flawed. Hope the almighty lordaligator can fix that for us aswell.

I said it before and I'll say it again lordkator is exactly what this project needed.

rease
01-31-2020, 12:59 PM
Every ISP gives you dynamic IP unless you request and pay for static one. Dynamic usually only changes your last number in IP.

I think you are just mad, because you cant bot the **** out of this game anymore. We literally have someone in our guild playing from Thailand and he has no issues what so ever.

Mad for what? I still sell Janta buff to Docs, buisness never stop for me. So I'm not mad about IG situation, nothing really changed (Just guildmates are stoping months after months but I can't do nothing about that) !!! I don't understand what you said (sorry for my poor english skills again)
I spent 3 wonderfull years IG. It's twice time to swgemu than swg Live so I just say thanks for that !

When I made my ticket, Swgemu support never said I didn't have a problem, they can see it. You missunderstand because you don't know all the story.
I don't have issues to login from thailand, now.
Unlike you, I donated every month to support the project and Yes the team is doing a great job.
May be, there is other way to prevent multi: Like sms check or other ways I don't know because I'm a diving instructor retired, not a computer professionnal.

By the way, I see the same bots. But lately I'm not so much IG, so may be it's just in Datho outpost and in the other place they vanished.

Even if you are legit getting screwed by this lordkators creation, it cleanses this project of cancer that is multi accounting. Next step is way to stop approved multi accounting, because the protocol in place right now is very very flawed. Hope the almighty lordaligator can fix that for us aswell.

I said it before and I'll say it again lordkator is exactly what this project needed.

"screwed" is a little rude, It's just unconfortable, when I'm travelling. At home everything is fine now (thanks for the help of the support team again).

@lordkator
I'm sure you do your best. I never doubt about that.
Like I reapeat again I would wish the dev team could have find another way. I'm not legit VPN multi-accounts !!!
I'm sure managing "collateral damage" is easier than running after VPN multi accounts users. May be it's the best way for a clean server.
Running a server, I don't have the skills and your patience :)

Surrena
01-31-2020, 06:08 PM
Mad for what? I still sell Janta buff to Docs, buisness never stop for me. So I'm not mad about IG situation, nothing really changed (Just guildmates are stoping months after months but I can't do nothing about that) !!! I don't understand what you said (sorry for my poor english skills again)
I spent 3 wonderfull years IG. It's twice time to swgemu than swg Live so I just say thanks for that !

When I made my ticket, Swgemu support never said I didn't have a problem, they can see it. You missunderstand because you don't know all the story.
I don't have issues to login from thailand, now.
Unlike you, I donated every month to support the project and Yes the team is doing a great job.
May be, there is other way to prevent multi: Like sms check or other ways I don't know because I'm a diving instructor retired, not a computer professionnal.

By the way, I see the same bots. But lately I'm not so much IG, so may be it's just in Datho outpost and in the other place they vanished.

"screwed" is a little rude, It's just unconfortable, when I'm travelling. At home everything is fine now (thanks for the help of the support team again).

@lordkator
I'm sure you do your best. I never doubt about that.
Like I reapeat again I would wish the dev team could have find another way. I'm not legit VPN multi-accounts !!!
I'm sure managing "collateral damage" is easier than running after VPN multi accounts users. May be it's the best way for a clean server.
Running a server, I don't have the skills and your patience :)

Ok people keep saying I dont donate... I donated in past this is not my first account (i asked niffer to close my previous one because I forgot logins, last played on liberator) I dont feel like donating now, because I really dont enjoy basilisk...but rest assured I'll donate atleast subscription value once 1.0 is released or basilisk wiped.

There are other means to prevent multi accounting, lordkators way is probably one of the most elegant ones out there.

MaxwellMW
02-05-2020, 06:02 PM
Thank you guys for all of your donated time, skill, and resources to getting and keeping up the servers. I have had a great experience playing except for the false VPN flags I get while at work. We have a firewall that I have configured to not block anything coming from my computer, but I *sometimes* get a message about using a VPN and against rules. I know our IP hasn't changed (Static 1GB from AT&T Business), and all of our outbound traffic shows as a single IP. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes it does. I was able to get in this morning and just tried to login with a multiple instance and got the VPN message. I do play at home as well, so if you look at my logs, it will show that. Any suggestions? Thanks in Advance!

lordkator
02-05-2020, 08:42 PM
Thank you guys for all of your donated time, skill, and resources to getting and keeping up the servers. I have had a great experience playing except for the false VPN flags I get while at work. We have a firewall that I have configured to not block anything coming from my computer, but I *sometimes* get a message about using a VPN and against rules. I know our IP hasn't changed (Static 1GB from AT&T Business), and all of our outbound traffic shows as a single IP. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes it does. I was able to get in this morning and just tried to login with a multiple instance and got the VPN message. I do play at home as well, so if you look at my logs, it will show that. Any suggestions? Thanks in Advance!

Please EVERYONE, work with support, this thread is not a place to get support on this issue.

Renesse
03-07-2020, 04:37 PM
I am not using VPN. Not at all. Not for anything. Never did.
But I can not Login due to using VPN.
How sure are you About detecting a VPN?

As I said, never even had VPN Software on my PC.

lordkator
03-07-2020, 05:48 PM
I am not using VPN. Not at all. Not for anything. Never did.
But I can not Login due to using VPN.
How sure are you About detecting a VPN?

As I said, never even had VPN Software on my PC.

Please EVERYONE, work with support, this thread is not a place to get support on this issue.

PS: Some data for everyone screaming that we're killing you, I checked we have had 593,008 successful logins and 1,923 rejections. To be clear: 0.32% of our population run into this issue.

Please, please work with support, posting on the forums hoping someone will help you is not a valid strategy.