View Full Version : Basilisk Maintenance - October 19th 2018

Vlada
10-14-2018, 08:05 AM
Basilisk Maintenance - October 19th 2018

Date: 10/14/2018
The SWGEmu Staff

Basilisk Maintenance - October 19th 2018

Hello there fellow SWGEmuers,

It is with heavy hearts that we have to announce that on October 19th, around 5AM Eastern Time (you can find your local time here: https://goo.gl/LNYS6X) Basilisk will be taken down for much needed maintenance. Downtime will (roughly) last 36 hours. Yes, yes, we know its a long time and that it is the weekend, but that's the only time our developers have enough spare time needed to finish the whole process.

To understand just why its gonna take this long, here are some of the things we are hoping to achieve:
Rebuild databases (especially sceneobjects.db at 575 Gigs)
Purge mail.db (edit: Cleanup old unused space, not delete all mail)
Cleanup ghosted vendor items (we commented out deletes a while back due to vendor issues)
Migrate to a container like The Pit, Nova, TC-Prime
Stretch goal: Automated builds like Nova, The Pit etc.
Why exactly is all this needed?
Donations have plummeted in the last few months, so if we plan to keep on going for a foreseeable time we need to consolidate our services and reduce our expenditures. (Of course that shouldn't stop you from visiting our Donations page (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/awcoding.php?do=payment&sid=ds&id=172), every little bit helps us keep our services up and running)
Less disk usage leading to quicker clones to TC-Prime and smaller backup storage requirements
Easier start/stop by more of the developer team
More portable setup (can move Basilisk around like we move Nova, The Pit etc.)
Clean setup that doesn't require special knowledge to build and maintain Basilisk
Ability to enable more developers to contribute (core developer team) directly to Basilisk code (Automated Jenkins build, push, restarts)
So, make plans, spend time with your family or friends, or just go outside for a change. I've heard its lovely there this time of the year. Thank you for your understanding and your continuous support.

Oh yeah, TC Nova and TC Prime will be online for the duration, so you don't really have to waste your time on that RL thing.

Edit by lordkator:

Maintenance has started.
https://i.imgur.com/XMYGABb.png

Please note that this is a long process, I won't post updates until deep into the evening as the first step will run for almost 14 hours.

~The SWGEmu team

Omens
10-14-2018, 08:17 AM
Its good to see you guys taking good care of the Project with such involvment.

Thanks again to the whole team for their time investment !

Rgds

bigevil
10-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Family and friends? Real life? What the hell is going on? :p LOL

Good stuff team. Every now and then you need a good clean up to keep the ship tidy on on course. :)

Ever forward!! :)

MrSiborg
10-14-2018, 12:36 PM
Whenever I hear "It's with a heavy heart" my own heart skips a beat but this maintenance is really needed. Hopefully the forums will get busier as a result and we'll have a smooth running server. Thanks devs :)

xirad
10-14-2018, 03:14 PM
You folks rock. I've had my account for over a decade and I know many of the devs and support folks have been working on this for longer than that. We fans of SWG appreciate everything you've done to keep this awesome game alive for us. We also know that most of you have full time jobs so we should be the ones feeling bad for you that you'll be spending the whole weekend working on the game instead of spending it with your friends and families. Well, the friends and families OUTSIDE of this game - assuming you still have some!

Again, you have the deepest heartfelt thanks from the user community for the amazing work and self-sacrifice you've done and continue to do so that we can continue to play and live in the SWG universe!

Ryjarob
10-14-2018, 06:05 PM
Whenever I hear "It's with a heavy heart" my own heart skips a beat but this maintenance is really needed. Hopefully the forums will get busier as a result and we'll have a smooth running server. Thanks devs :)

Yeah it’s that same feeling I get when I feel like they’re announcing someone has died.
Oh wait

CDMan477
10-15-2018, 08:49 AM

When I saw a heavy heart thought he was announcing a wipe.

In all seriousness that's my off weekend. You guys are going to need to resquedual.

Kurgol
10-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Good work SWGEmu devs, the force is strong with you!

I stuck $25 in the coffers, it's all I can afford right now. Although my PayPal says it's gone through okay, the website did give me an error.

Vlada
10-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Good work SWGEmu devs, the force is strong with you!

I stuck $25 in the coffers, it's all I can afford right now. Although my PayPal says it's gone through okay, the website did give me an error.

It does that, its the plugin we've been using since... forever. Its an outdated piece of ****, much like this forum. But right now, its all we've got. Thank you for donating btw. Much appreciated.

avimeso
10-15-2018, 11:15 AM
wouldn't a wipe reduce costs? ;)

Vlada
10-15-2018, 11:40 AM
wouldn't a wipe reduce costs? ;)

Yes, getting rid of Basilisk completely would reduce our costs by as much as 70% if not more, and if our financial situation doesn't improve that will be the next logical step.

zimbab
10-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Yes, getting rid of Basilisk completely would reduce our costs by as much as 70% if not more, and if our financial situation doesn't improve that will be the next logical step.

I hope it doesn't get to that... There are people of us that believe in project and that are paying as much as we can... it's a shame that many of our community takes it for granted but I really hope you guys don't pull a plug on bas, at least don't until suncrusher is ready to fly.

nee2earth
10-15-2018, 04:39 PM
. There are people of us that believe in project and that are paying as much as we can... .

imho, we need to utilize our social media more often to ask--or at least remind--people to donate $$$

There are tons of community members on our Facebook and Discord and YouTube who don't even know about the 'donation button' here on the website. (or they just forget)

I think it's admirable how much SWGEmu has kept things low-key and not really "begged" for donations or whatever. But these are desperate times, no?

No shame in respectfully reminding/notifying our extended community (who don't login to forums everyday) about the need for not-for-profit donations still.

Mobyus1
10-15-2018, 06:22 PM
imho, we need to utilize our social media more often to ask--or at least remind--people to donate $$$

There are tons of community members on our Facebook and Discord and YouTube who don't even know about the 'donation button' here on the website. (or they just forget)

I think it's admirable how much SWGEmu has kept things low-key and not really "begged" for donations or whatever. But these are desperate times, no?

No shame in respectfully reminding/notifying our extended community (who don't login to forums everyday) about the need for not-for-profit donations still.

Spread the word:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvApXUMKqX8

Serrabell
10-15-2018, 06:38 PM
I also appreciate all you guys do. I admit that I forget about donations from time to time, but I give when I can. A friendly reminder couldn't hurt. :D

Garrud
10-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Have to say I did not realize things were this tight. I'm not on the forums all that often but I do play somewhat consistently and have never donated.

I've set up a recurring $50 a month donation; will up it to $100 on the 1st of the year (2019) if things are still going strong.

Hope this helps.

sorensje
10-15-2018, 07:15 PM
つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Take My Energy つ ◕_◕ ༽つ - and my donation

Teebaz
10-15-2018, 07:27 PM
Great work SWGEmu devs, i will give what i can.

Misk Brebran
10-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Spread the word:

Thx Mob great (yes and somber) vid! I see you Kaadara SWIPErs out there! Come visit NIKA more often, its a fun place to play!!! ;)

I have other questions, since this post should be more about funding than the bickering its caused (eye on the prize ladies and gentlemen).

Is SWGEmu set up as a non-profit organization (501c3 per us tax code) or is it possible to do so?

Next, to what extent is the emu allowed to collect funds (i.e. Ad based support, GoFundMe, etc)? I noticed it said non-profit on the paypal page.

Last, are there any emu members who can provide services the group instead of having to pay each month for them (lawyers, accountants, etc)?

I hope we can all come up with some creative solutions to the problem maybe to help with it on a long term basis. We do have a great think tank here so we should use it.

Gotta go order pizza now. Thanks!!

Caio!!

Vlada
10-15-2018, 09:22 PM
Thx Mob great (yes and somber) vid! I see you Kaadara SWIPErs out there! Come visit NIKA more often, its a fun place to play!!! ;)

I have other questions, since this post should be more about funding than the bickering its caused (eye on the prize ladies and gentlemen).

Is SWGEmu set up as a non-profit organization (501c3 per us tax code) or is it possible to do so?

Next, to what extent is the emu allowed to collect funds (i.e. Ad based support, GoFundMe, etc)? I noticed it said non-profit on the paypal page.

Last, are there any emu members who can provide services the group instead of having to pay each month for them (lawyers, accountants, etc)?

I hope we can all come up with some creative solutions to the problem maybe to help with it on a long term basis. We do have a great think tank here so we should use it.

Caio!!

SWGEmu is a registered NPO in Hungary atm. We have always used PayPal, and only PayPal to collect donations. This is the first time in 14 years we've openly asked for them.

zimbab
10-15-2018, 09:29 PM
SWGEmu is a registered NPO in Hungary atm. We have always used PayPal, and only PayPal to collect donations. This is the first time in 14 years we've openly asked for them.

No shame in asking for it Vlada... I know it's not an easy thing to do but when it's needed it's needed. We are all here harvesting labors of your hard work and of SWGEmu fruits :) just keep on doing what you guys do :)

Misk Brebran
10-15-2018, 09:37 PM

Understood. Is it permissible to raise funds through other avenues? Ads on the forums might help as a long term staple and using something more broad like GoFundMe might give the emu legs to reach a larger audience if those are techniques are allowed.

Has anyone ever asked about professional services, like on a pro-bono or donation (as in per hr) basis? Id love to help, but Im a biologist/military aircrew civilian instructor so i dont think i would be much help in those realms. Would the dev crew be open to that type of assistance from the community if they came forward?

Just tossing around ideas here ;)

lordkator
10-15-2018, 09:41 PM

Caio!!

If everyone who played on Bas just skipped one pizza a month and donated that money we'd be fine.

Food for thought...

Vlada
10-15-2018, 09:48 PM
Understood. Is it permissible to raise funds through other avenues? Ads on the forums might help as a long term staple and using something more broad like GoFundMe might give the emu legs to reach a larger audience if those are techniques are allowed.

Has anyone ever asked about professional services, like on a pro-bono or donation (as in per hr) basis? Id love to help, but Im a biologist/military aircrew civilian instructor so i dont think i would be much help in those realms. Would the dev crew be open to that type of assistance from the community if they came forward?

Just tossing around ideas here ;)

Honestly we stayed away from Kickstarter, gofundme and any other site like that because we are waling a very thin legal line. We were allowed to exist only because of a verbal agreement our founders had with SOE. So we always tried to stay low key. Collecting donation only through our webpage and only by paypal.

As for professional help, like accounting and or lawyers... Hmmm other than a few offers of hardware donations, we never really got any offers for that. Or at least i wasnt made aware there any.

reoze
10-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Know any C++ developers?

Vlada
10-15-2018, 10:22 PM
Know any C++ developers?

with free time on their hands that they are willing to donate?

Misk Brebran
10-15-2018, 10:35 PM
If everyone who played on Bas just skipped one pizza a month and donated that money we'd be fine.

Food for thought...

My wife and kids would make sure im in the cloning facility, permanently, lol, but i get your point. =}

What about COS play, star wars/sci-fi fan exposure?

Misk Brebran
10-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Know any C++ developers?

I will ask around. Looking for a specific number of people?

Vlada
10-15-2018, 10:59 PM
I will ask around. Looking for a specific number of people?

One would be a great start.

Bladestonez
10-15-2018, 10:59 PM
with free time on their hands that they are willing to donate?it's been a very very long time and I was never terribly great but I would be willing to study back up on things. Can't promise my ability stacks up to the job but I would love to help if I can.

Misk Brebran
10-15-2018, 11:08 PM
One would be a great start.

Since the most programming i have ever done consisted of making a turtle move in a triangle in 1982 grade school, and something like

10 goto 20
20 blah blah
30 something else

would you guys be able to use programming students?

Scurby
10-15-2018, 11:09 PM
it's been a very very long time and I was never terribly great but I would be willing to study back up on things. Can't promise my ability stacks up to the job but I would love to help if I can.

Come chat with me... I'll find something u can do.

Vlada
10-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Since the most programming i have ever done consisted of making a turtle move in a triangle in 1982 grade school, and something like

10 goto 20
20 blah blah
30 something else

would you guys be able to use programming students?

I feel like we need Scurby and some Devs in here. I couldnt code my way our of a wet paper bag.

Fastburn
10-15-2018, 11:15 PM
If (bag.item = wet && on body = true)
{
Bag.remove;
}

There you go, from my phone. Vlada

Miztah
10-15-2018, 11:21 PM
Most people find our codebase very overwhelming, especially without a lot of programming experience. But at the same time, I'm personally proof that it's not impossible for someone with very little knowledge to get a grasp on everything and learn a lot along the way. Education wise, I've never taken more than intro classes to Java and C++ before swapping to a different major, and that was over 10 years ago. Everything else I've learned is completely self taught either through trial and error or help from the other devs, and solely from working on this project.

The most demanding thing about being able to contribute are both time and willpower. Learning is tough, it takes time.

Bladestonez
10-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Most people find our codebase very overwhelming, especially without a lot of programming experience. But at the same time, I'm personally proof that it's not impossible for someone with very little knowledge to get a grasp on everything and learn a lot along the way. Education wise, I've never taken more than intro classes to Java and C++ before swapping to a different major, and that was over 10 years ago. Everything else I've learned is completely self taught either through trial and error or help from the other devs, and solely from working on this project.

The most demanding thing about being able to contribute are both time and willpower. Learning is tough, it takes time.I love to learn, funny because I hated school, but I've made it a long way in life with no real formal education beyond high school. I mean I'm a self taught CNC machinist and make spaceship parts for SpaceX primarily. I'm running some of the newest machines making some of the hardest parts here with about a years experience. Knowledge is power.

reoze
10-15-2018, 11:33 PM
At the same time I'd really recommend a basic understanding of pointers, memory management, and thread synchronization. Otherwise it's going to be a very uphill battle.

Misk Brebran
10-16-2018, 01:25 AM
At the same time I'd really recommend a basic understanding of pointers, memory management, and thread synchronization. Otherwise it's going to be a very uphill battle.

Copy all. When I was in college I did volunteer work at an animal refuge with large predatory mammals and while we didnt have a program in place at the time to give students credit for the work, i helped establish the bedrock to start having interns get credit. I know this is a bit different than animal husbandry (we always start at the lowest levels), however, a couple years later the program began to give credit to student as a seminar class that counted toward their degree. Any chance of something like that for programmers? Youd be able to set the criteria as appropriate and then get who ever wanted to take the "seminar" that met the criteria.

papilove
10-16-2018, 04:37 AM
Carnage <C> will be making a 10.000 donation

oh ya 2025 when suncrusher is out good luck swgemu.

rezono
10-16-2018, 04:44 AM
I'd say donations are low because no one wants to play this server. It's been up way too long. I know many players that play on side servers because of the current status of basilisk. In my humble opinion, if you want more people to donate and play I'd suggest a server wipe. It would bring a lot of old players back. This server needs it anyway. Just my 3 cents! Good luck team!

algebuckina
10-16-2018, 05:21 AM
The next publish will bring people back. It always will. And looking back donations normally drop off near the end of a publish. And I'm all for maintenance if it stops the rubber banding. And a server wipe would be both beneficial but also counter productive. Many people will leave, many people will come back.

geffclone
10-16-2018, 05:23 AM
The next publish will bring people back. It always will. And looking back donations normally drop off near the end of a publish. And I'm all for maintenance if it stops the rubber banding. And a server wipe would be both beneficial but also counter productive. Many people will leave, many people will come back.

That moment when you just unlock padawan but you also want a server wipe...

Omens
10-16-2018, 07:05 AM
We could build a Kickstarter project to finance the EMU :

Rewarding contributors with in game unique items (like city decoration starships) or some experience boost (skill box).
These rewards would be applicated to every server.

To survive we need to adapt...
:)

Vlada
10-16-2018, 07:19 AM
We could build a Kickstarter project to finance the EMU :

Rewarding contributors with in game unique items (like city decoration starships) or some experience boost (skill box).
These rewards would be applicated to every server.

To survive we need to adapt...
:)

Like we explained in other threads, Kickstarter is for making new games, or whatever else new. We are walking a very thin legal line and we are trying to build an emulator of an already existing game, so Kickstarter, or anything like that is a no-go.

Also discussed, in another thread any kind of reward for donations can be (if a semi decent lawyer wants to see it that way) seen as us selling in game stuff, which brings us back to that very thin legal line.

Omens
10-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Why stick to the plan if the plan is not an option ?

If we launch Suncrusher in advance, we may get more people (all those who wait for it), and get more donations.

I play on Basilisk since 6 years, during that time lapse, I have seen many people from original server Infinity' Guilds (TRF, RED...) or other Guilds (-V-) comes in, play a bit and then comes out.

They all wait for that very new start to come back.

Vlada
10-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Why stick to the plan if the plan is not an option ?

If we launch Suncrusher in advance, we may get more people (all those who wait for it), and get more donations.

I play on Basilisk since 6 years, during that time lapse, I have seen many people from original server Infinity' Guilds (TRF, RED...) or other Guilds (-V-) comes in, play a bit and then comes out.

They all wait for that very new start to come back.

Those that wait will always have an excuse to wait a little longer. Besides, Suncrusher comes after 1.0 not before.

lgarms3348
10-16-2018, 11:42 AM
Keep up the awesome work!!

Like many others, I'm waiting for 1.0, but I'll still give to the cause. If support is running thin on any given month, I would suggest putting it on your FB page (that's where I read the recent call to arms) for those of us who don't really play or check the forums regularly ...but eagerly await 1.0.

Kurgol
10-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Spread the word:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvApXUMKqX8

Can't help but think this is partially responsible for the giant green bar at the top of the page now xD

Vlada
10-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Can't help but think this is partially responsible for the giant green bar at the top of the page now xD

It is. We reached out and Mobyus1 delivered big time.

shilo
10-16-2018, 02:32 PM

You have harnessed the SWG ecosystem! Believe it or not, but the SWGEmu community has passed a critical mass that it now operates like a true ecosystem. While the developers operate much like the abiotic elements upon which an ecosystem can be built, (think temperature, precipitation, substrate in the real world). Community leaders like Mobyus, and Vlada and the proprietors of private servers operate much like a keystone species like beavers, and wolves. In that they manipulate the habitats, and allow niches to be created that in turn supports more species(people in this case). All of these factors are interacting with each other in non quantifiable ways that creates a feed back loop reinforcing the ecosystem.

Of course just like any ecosystem, it's a fragile system. If you remove any one of these factors the ecosystem starts to deteriorate.

Tyrson
10-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Also discussed, in another thread any kind of reward for donations can be (if a semi decent lawyer wants to see it that way) seen as us selling in game stuff, which brings us back to that very thin legal line.

What about things that aren't items or "things"? I rambled off a slew of ideas in discord yesterday:

If we make our monthly goal (IWMOMG), then the next month for one week there will be a super-silly TC Prime event. A topsy turvy server for one week. Some of my random ideas:

all meatlumps drop mando armor
exceptional/legendary drop rate is set to 50% and 10%
looted credits are 1,000,000 times higher
static mobs like acklay/dragons/elders respawn in a minute
SG82 rifles and vibro axes now have 100x the damage
buff schematics have 50x the stats to keep up with the freshly looted/crafted uber weapons and dots.
change the scale on creatures to make them 10x bigger
change some models around, like make shuttles into huge scaled up peko peko albatrosses

I think they'd all be simple changes, no mechanics would be different. It'd just be some models/constants changed. It's probably more work than that, it's always more work than the naive laymen (me) knows.

IWMOMG, next month we'll have a npc named Vlada that you can murder all you want in Coronet. No loot or xp, but it has a 5 second respawn timer and says custom salty things when it dies!
IWMOMG, we'll have a huge battle and the winner (winning group) will have a unique statue placed in their town / GH until the next tournament
IWMOMG, we'll have a nightsister dance party where everyone at the party will be turned into a random nightsister model for the duration
IWMOMG, donors will get a special badge on their in-game profiles (We already do this on the forums with the donor gold bars)
IWMOMG, donors will be entered to win a chance to have a npc named after them. The model/location of the NPC will be chosen by the donator. It won't do anything, it'll just be deco.
IWMOMG, There could be a building (theater maybe?) or location somewhere called "Donor's Hall" where npcs are generated with the names of the previous month's donors. No npc customization like the last idea, just a script to change the names to match.

Of course I had other ideas for "things". Like an exclusive donor-only painting (non tradeable, i.e. no benefit other than deco). Donor "capes". We could probably use the vet reward mechanics to make a donors-only reward system. It could be based on dollar amount, but I like the idea of it tracking months donated instead. I think lots of smaller consistent donations is smarter than intermittent large donations. (unless the large donations are crazy large I guess.)

Anyway, just my two cents at the moment. The current outpouring of support is fantastic, but I think it's important to try and find ways to keep the enthusiasm going.

Mobyus1
10-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Anyway, just my two cents at the moment. The current outpouring of support is fantastic, but I think it's important to try and find ways to keep the enthusiasm going.

I like some of these ideas, but personally, I think just having a monthly server-wide event would go a long way towards keeping people engaged.

You guys remember the Dark Cult of Massassi event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH1hEbzBUOs

...or the Abandoned Rebel Base PvP event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us0SPQSIw1c

...or the Sons of Jar Jar event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3t1d4yTtzc

...or the Gorax Christmas event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2LkDLKPayE&index=118

...or Vlada's ADK Giveaway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRce2UW31_U

...or the Ancient Artifact Event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1SSWsXUps8

...and more events that are simply hosted by guilds but maybe using some assistance from EC staff. You 'member? I 'member.

I understand the EC staff is currently very small and whoever remains has very little time, but perhaps adding some more volunteers there would help. I know I'm equally guilty on this topic as well, as I've done 3 ADK Giveaways in the past and planned on doing a couple more.

Wolften
10-16-2018, 05:18 PM
Family and friends? Real life? What the hell is going on? :p LOL

Good stuff team. Every now and then you need a good clean up to keep the ship tidy on on course. :)

Ever forward!! :)

Wait, Family's still exist XD?

Wolften
10-16-2018, 05:22 PM
TBH
some of those aren't bad,
Similar to your idea, There could also be a area called the Hall of Donors which maybe glorifies the top donors.

Bladestonez
10-16-2018, 05:30 PM
I like some of these ideas, but personally, I think just having a monthly server-wide event would go a long way towards keeping people engaged.
THIS!
Building stronger ties with the community and being more transparent about problems those members can assist with (eg. Money, staffing) can't hurt anything.
No one wants donating thrown in their face, but I know from reading around a lot of us felt guilty for not donating enough or at all, we were ignorant to the problem.
There's no shame in doing what you did and asking for help, I suggest you do it more, for things other than money as well.

Serrabell
10-16-2018, 05:33 PM
THIS!
Building stronger ties with the community and being more transparent about problems those members can assist with (eg. Money, staffing) can't hurt anything.
No one wants donating thrown in their face, but I know from reading around a lot of us felt guilty for not donating enough or at all, we were ignorant to the problem.
There's no shame in doing what you did and asking for help, I suggest you do it more, for things other than money as well.

I agree, I had no idea that the project was in trouble. As soon as I noticed I donated, I know I am not the only one that was ignorant to this problem either. I see no harm at all with a reminder here and there, it's not begging.

nee2earth
10-16-2018, 06:03 PM
./pep-talk SWGEmu!

No matter how i feel about our past, i've always had present faith in our COMMUNITY (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216238&p=1544401&viewfull=1#post1544401)... And our future looks brighter than ever!

Kudos to Mobyus1, Lordkator (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216279), et al, for heeding the call-to-EMU-arms and going above & beyond volunteer duty.

Now, here's where the fun begins...

Pub10 (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=179), JTL (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206994&highlight=hype+train), official beta (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75), 1.0 , OH MY!

----

but personally, I think just having a monthly server-wide event would go a long way towards keeping people engaged

Maybe try coordinating with some of our fellow 'ecosystem' extended members to login Basilisk (or Nova) each month, since some of them continue to demonstrate not only a willingness (and free time) but also a real talent (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190661&page=9) for continuous EVENTS

--

I understand the EC staff is currently non-existent , so perhaps adding some volunteers there would help. .

Qualified peeps should apply here---> https://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php?r=543-Join-Staff-SWGEmu-EC-CSR-Support-training-program
(advice: DON'T say that Nee sent you :icon_eek:)

And remember, at the very least, there's enough functionality in-game already with just the mere 'Event Coordinator' NPC (in Hotels) to setup some very cool events.

Kreskel
10-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Is there a way to put something in the game itself as a point of reference for how the donation pool is doing for that month. I check the forum from time to time, but people that play are more likely to be in the game than on the forums. Maybe have a Bacta tank of sorts that starts out red and goes green once the total is met for the month. It could be put at the entrance to the "main hub" starports. If not a tangible item in the world, maybe an in game email when we log in once or twice a month just giving a progress to date on the monthly total. It ends up being out of sight out of mind for me most of the time, to be honest. RL is weird.

Tyrson
10-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Is there a way to put something in the game itself as a point of reference for how the donation pool is doing for that month. I check the forum from time to time, but people that play are more likely to be in the game than on the forums. Maybe have a Bacta tank of sorts that starts out red and goes green once the total is met for the month. It could be put at the entrance to the "main hub" starports. If not a tangible item in the world, maybe an in game email when we log in once or twice a month just giving a progress to date on the monthly total. It ends up being out of sight out of mind for me most of the time, to be honest. RL is weird.

I love that bacta tank idea. I can see wanting to balance it between "in your face asking for money all the time" and "people were asleep and had no idea the house was on fire".

It could be one of those system messages you see when logging in. You know the "some guy fixed something 2 days ago" but it was really 8 months ago. "Monthly Donation Goal Met" vs "Monthly Donation Goal Not Met".

Haha, what if starport wait times doubled to 2 minutes until the monthly goal was met each month. lol Or the nicer version, make shuttleport wait 2 minutes, instead of 5, after the goal is met each month.

What if there was a command like /check or /getvet? Could we get /donationStatus or /FutureOfEmu or /canIPlayNextMonth or something?

Omens
10-16-2018, 07:52 PM

Probably the best 1st post ever.

Thanks for sharing that great idea :)

Server economy do needs more visibility !

Vlada
10-16-2018, 07:56 PM

We should be friends.

Maybe have fireworks shoot out of it every time donation is made. I know a few people that would donate just to see fireworks go off.

Rocqu
10-16-2018, 07:58 PM
I would think a server wide message whenever you zone into a new planet would suffice.

Kreskel
10-16-2018, 08:07 PM
We should be friends.
I like friends! In all seriousness though, and not to get all mushy and make this weird, this game helped me through some rough times back on the live server. The real world at that time, for me anyways, was not a fun place and Galaxies was my escape. Now that my real world life rocks and I figured out how to craft Imperial Gnades Efficiently (seriously that was far more complicated from the outside looking in) I would hate to see this end in some needless and quiet way. SWG means a lot to me personally and my little crew. I doubt I am alone in that. Those that have kept it going and made it better have my gratitude and respect. I hope to help in some way, even if its only financially. (Which I am working on getting permission from my better half)

Tyrson
10-16-2018, 08:14 PM
I know a few people that would donate just to see fireworks go off.

https://i.imgur.com/SISPBac.gif

i would totally do that

Lolindir
10-16-2018, 08:31 PM
I like friends! In all seriousness though, and not to get all mushy and make this weird, this game helped me through some rough times back on the live server. The real world at that time, for me anyways, was not a fun place and Galaxies was my escape. Now that my real world life rocks and I figured out how to craft Imperial Gnades Efficiently (seriously that was far more complicated from the outside looking in) I would hate to see this end in some needless and quiet way. SWG means a lot to me personally and my little crew. I doubt I am alone in that. Those that have kept it going and made it better have my gratitude and respect. I hope to help in some way, even if its only financially. (Which I am working on getting permission from my better half)Its the same reason for most of us, in one way or another :)

jazo
10-16-2018, 09:21 PM
Just wanted to give a quick shout to everyone involved for continuing to make this project happen! I haven't played in quite awhile but have tried to donate here and there. Will be there when 1.0 is ready!! \m/,

xirad
10-16-2018, 09:21 PM
I try to occasionally suggest donations in the Tat Planet channel, especially when returning players (to SWG) are ecstatic and thrilled that they can play the game again. You can set up a recurring monthly donation via PayPal like I've done so you don't need to remember to donate. If you play regularly like I do then just treat it like a regular subscription. Easy peasy.

Misk Brebran
10-16-2018, 09:23 PM

^ Oh i like that!!!!

Could you put up info (not just donation, but maybe other updates) on the GCW news terminals as well? Maybe have it flash or something to draw attention to it as well? Or even NPC barkers in spaceports shouting (within the limits of the spam rulz) something about it? I know there are ppl I interact with all the time that dont goto the forums unless they have issues, but that might ba another avenue to explore.

Ivojedi
10-16-2018, 09:34 PM

We're talking about ways we can make events happen more frequently. Nothing to announce right now but stay tuned.

shilo
10-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Ideas:

5 dollars - a decorative piece of art
10 dollars - 20x super pups (can be sold, so people with lots of money will pay real money to buy these and sell them for lots of credit! Harness the power of the free market)
20 dollars - 20x super stims (can be sold, so people with lots of money will pay real money to buy these and sell them for lots of credit! Harness the power of the free market)
30 dollars - a cool piece of artwork (can shift every quarter to keep interest up) - cannot be traded
40 dollars - a cool rug (can shift every quarter to keep interest up) - cannot be traded
50 dollars - a city enhancement that lasts 1 month, it increases a cities bonus (Improved Job Market, Research Facility, Stronghold...)
100 dollars - a unique crystal for jedi (can be sold, so people with lots of money will pay real money to buy these and sell them for lots of credit! Harness the power of the free market)
1000 dollars - you get god mode for a week

Mobyus1
10-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Too much P2W. Donation rewards would have to be things that have zero impact on gameplay. Furniture/decorations/vehicles maybe... but stims and *shudders* god mode... no way that’s fair.

Bladestonez
10-16-2018, 10:23 PM
Donation rewards have been suggested, by myself even. They simply can't risk the potential legal issues that could be associated with misinterpretation of a donation and a paid service.

I do love the ideas for system wide benefits though then no one gets anything for donating, everyone gets something if the goal is complete though. Like the idea for faster shuttles or something.

Anything in game to inform players of the status of donations for the month would be an asset though I think.

Dominicus
10-16-2018, 10:32 PM
SWG was my first mmorpg, and is still my favorite game of all time. No game has scratched that itch in the 13+ years we've been apart,
until I joined the swgemu on 4/20/18. I was one that intended to donate to the cause, but always ended up forgetting or procrastinating.
This thread was the "kick in the ***" I needed to finally pull out the plastic and show my appreciation in a tangible way. I probably would
not have seen this, if it were not for the recent Mobyus' video. So, shout out to that young swiper. :)

reoze
10-16-2018, 11:04 PM
Donation rewards have been suggested, by myself even. They simply can't risk the potential legal issues that could be associated with misinterpretation of a donation and a paid service.

I do love the ideas for system wide benefits though then no one gets anything for donating, everyone gets something if the goal is complete though. Like the idea for faster shuttles or something.

Anything in game to inform players of the status of donations for the month would be an asset though I think.

Even without the legal issues, there's major gameplay, balance, and moral issues doing it. I guess the whole "pay to win" thing is starting to become the norm nowadays, but any slight advantage someone can get in this game with money would be met with picket signs. I'd probably be holding one too.

Bladestonez
10-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Even without the legal issues, there's major gameplay, balance, and moral issues doing it. I guess the whole "pay to win" thing is starting to become the norm nowadays, but any slight advantage someone can get in this game with money would be met with picket signs. I'd probably be holding one too.oh I agree my suggestion was basically to copy vet rewards with a price tag. But I understand why it's not a good idea, just too risky. And I would be right beside you as far as pay to win, that stuff sucks.

lgarms3348
10-16-2018, 11:34 PM
Yeah, Lucas Film just shut down the Apeiron Project. I know, a bit of a different situation but still.

Just getting the word circulating is a good start. Look what can be done with just one rallying call: $6k !!! I think everybody, past or present, would love to see this thing taken over the finish line.

Kissodeath
10-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Maybe say if goal is reached then at the designated time the odds on a legendary or exceptional ( whatever you want to do ) will be increased for a X amount of time. I know Ill be there and nothing is given away and finally everyone has the same chance. Its Win, Win, Win. That is if its easy to do

Lolindir
10-17-2018, 05:25 AM
Maybe say if goal is reached then at the designated time the odds on a legendary or exceptional ( whatever you want to do ) will be increased for a X amount of time. I know Ill be there and nothing is given away and finally everyone has the same chance. Its Win, Win, Win. That is if its easy to doThe server have enough legendary items with ADKs, do we really need more of them?

Tyrson
10-17-2018, 01:53 PM
The server have enough legendary items with ADKs, do we really need more of them?

https://i.imgur.com/zuuE9b7.png

DO YOU SEE HOT PANTS YET?

YES WE NEED MORE LEGENDARY ITEMS DAG NAMIT!

Lolindir
10-17-2018, 03:36 PM
I just knew you would jump in here! exceptionals and legendaries are an obsession you have :p

(and keeping lists and statistics!!!!)

zimbab
10-17-2018, 03:38 PM
I just knew you would jump in here! exceptionals and legendaries are an obsession you have :p

(and keeping lists and statistics!!!!)

Veplo is doing us all a favor by keeping does exceptionals and legendaries off of streets :P :P

Mobyus1
10-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Veplo is doing us all a favor by keeping does exceptionals and legendaries off of streets :P :P

But he's no bunny...

erminator
10-18-2018, 01:05 AM
Is there any steps needed to protect vendor stocks etc? I recently started DE and for several weeks have been making factory runs of subs and frames to keep me stocked for future orders so have around 500 crates stored on a vendor. P.S Just noticed the request for donations, I have been away from the server for some time and recently have started here again but must admit I hadn't donated, have dropped $25 to the cause and will continue to donate on a regular basis.

Serrabell
10-18-2018, 01:14 AM
Is there any steps needed to protect vendor stocks etc? I recently started DE and for several weeks have been making factory runs of subs and frames to keep me stocked for future orders so have around 500 crates stored on a vendor.

This is a good question. Are there any precautions we should make prior to the maintenance?

Miztah
10-18-2018, 03:31 AM
Nothing anyone should need to do. We'll be doing a backup prior to the database update, so if there's any issues after it comes back up we'll revert back to the old version.

Serrabell
10-18-2018, 03:52 AM
Nothing anyone should need to do. We'll be doing a backup prior to the database update, so if there's any issues after it comes back up we'll revert back to the old version.
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Kurgol
10-18-2018, 02:45 PM

The hero you deserve!

CreativeSquare
10-18-2018, 05:49 PM
SWG was my first mmo. Heck I didn't even play pre CU I played post NGE. I only discovered this after trying to scratch my mmo itch for years after SWG died. I've found a love for both versions of the game. I have always loved Bas and its community. I really have to thank Mobyus not only for great content but for the video letting everyone know about the financial situation. I would have never known otherwise. I tossed in a couple bucks and ill most likely set up a monthly donation. Just like a sub right? :) Anyways keep up the good work guys.

Kwoung
10-18-2018, 09:34 PM
On a related note, will the in game timers be running while the servers are offline? Do I need to put extra creds in my harvesters before we go offline? Sounds like a dumb question, but used to play BDO and all the timers ran while the servers were offline.

Hakry
10-18-2018, 09:41 PM
On a related note, will the in game timers be running while the servers are offline? Do I need to put extra creds in my harvesters before we go offline? Sounds like a dumb question, but used to play BDO and all the timers ran while the servers were offline.

Yes as far as I know all the in game timers are based of the the actual time (/earth) so I would account for the downtime.

Kwoung
10-18-2018, 10:32 PM
Thanks! I will make sure to account for that! Don't want to log in Monday to a bunch of dead harvesters.

Mobyus1
10-19-2018, 02:53 AM
Thanks again to everyone that contributed over the past few days, and to those that will contribute in the future!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iqBgbVMkFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iqBgbVMkFQ

papilove
10-19-2018, 07:29 AM
hmm i'd come back if we increase the spawn rates or add more spawns of creatures that be fun.

Mistress Aerea
10-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Good luck with the maintenance!

Scugog
10-20-2018, 12:03 AM
Good job all.

cnauir
10-20-2018, 12:09 AM
Ditto the comments on asking for help. I had no idea the situation was dire, for pete's sake speak up we are here for you just like you have been all these years for us.

LadyCierra
10-20-2018, 12:12 AM
Thank you for all the hard work!

Jothac
10-20-2018, 01:02 AM
Thank You for Keeping Our Dream that started 12 Years ago alive!

trasixes
10-20-2018, 01:11 AM
thank you for keeping our dream that started 15 years ago alive!

ftfy!

Jothac
10-20-2018, 05:06 AM
ftfy!
For those of us who were there when the swg emulator project was formed... in (2006)... 12 years ago, The Dream has been to from day 1 to take back what we lost in 2005-2006... Ty Trasixes we know when Star Wars Galaxies began..

trasixes
10-20-2018, 06:22 AM
For those of us who were there when the swg emulator project was formed... in (2006)... 12 years ago, The Dream has been to from day 1 to take back what we lost in 2005-2006... Ty Trasixes we know when Star Wars Galaxies began..

The dream began for me 15 years ago - when it was clear from the onset that SOE couldn't properly manage a game of checkers, much less SWG.

I know all about the history of the emu, and have been here since before Ultyma/Ramsey/Jokerr/et al broke encryption.

Oh, and the project started before 2006.

Vlada
10-20-2018, 07:42 AM
The dream began for me 15 years ago - when it was clear from the onset that SOE couldn't properly manage a game of checkers, much less SWG.

I know all about the history of the emu, and have been here since before Ultyma/Ramsey/Jokerr/et al broke encryption.

Oh, and the project started before 2006.

It started in 2004 actually

Jaws
10-20-2018, 11:53 AM
How we coming lads? Not looking for an update of time - I know those aren't helpful for anybody - but so far no "oh sh#t it broke" moments?

Lolindir
10-20-2018, 12:01 PM
If it where an "Oh **** it broke" moment, we would have informed you ;)

Jaws
10-20-2018, 01:54 PM
If it where an "Oh **** it broke" moment, we would have informed you ;) Cool - congrats. Typically when I try to upgrade/switch out/install anything I have one of those "oh, this won't take long" moments then I spend the next three days trying to figure out why X won't play nicely with Y.

Keep up the good work.

lordkator
10-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Sorry I've slept about 4 hours in this period, so far the flux capacitor seems to be holding.

Vlada
10-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Sorry I've slept about 4 hours in this period, so far the flux capacitor seems to be holding.

But we are yet to reach 88 mph

Jaws
10-20-2018, 03:51 PM
One free beer for you!

jimmy
10-20-2018, 05:20 PM
But we are yet to reach 88 mph
When this thing gets up to 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious s***.

Jaws
10-20-2018, 05:23 PM
I have it on good authority that the server will disappear at that point leaving only a couple tracks of flames and a spinning AMD logo

trasixes
10-20-2018, 07:31 PM
It started in 2004 actually

Yeah, I remember first finding the project around the time the CU went on the SOE Test Center. Did Jokerr ever give the money back? I can't remember :D

Vlada
10-20-2018, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I remember first finding the project around the time the CU went on the SOE Test Center. Did Jokerr ever give the money back? I can't remember :D

Is that a serious question?

Jothac
10-20-2018, 08:24 PM
Did Jokerr ever give the money back? I can't remember :D
Seriously? You Bring that up?

lordkator
10-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Server is up.

Please be gentle with us, we tested for some time but it is hard to test everything.

SithMasterWHO
10-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Looks like we're live!

trasixes
10-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Is that a serious question?

No - I remember how it played out. Not sure if you were around then, but every few months for awhile someone would pop into IRC and ask that. It got old fast.

Seriously? You Bring that up?

Yes, I did. I have an 800 number you can call if you'd like to file a complaint.

lordkator
10-20-2018, 09:10 PM
I plan to write up a bit about what we achieved today but we hit many of the goals I had for this window and I am confident this has progressed us to the next level of making things easier to maintain and optimize.

That said I'm burnt out, been smashing at the keyboard since 2:30 am Eastern Time, slept 4 hours.. so yea.. maybe not tonight.

If you find issues please be gentle and careful in your analysis, I have zero reasons to believe we lost anything and the code base is basically the same short of a handful of little things that allowed us to test quicker today.

Pleeto
10-20-2018, 09:13 PM
Well done.

trasixes
10-20-2018, 09:13 PM
I plan to write up a bit about what we achieved today but we hit many of the goals I had for this window and I am confident this has progressed us to the next level of making things easier to maintain and optimize.

That said I'm burnt out, been smashing at the keyboard since 2:30 am Eastern Time, slept 4 hours.. so yea.. maybe not tonight.

If you find issues please be gentle and careful in your analysis, I have zero reasons to believe we lost anything and the code base is basically the same short of a handful of little things that allowed us to test quicker today.

Great work, Lordkator. I did a quick check of my vendors, houses, datapad, inventory, etc, and I see nothing out of the ordinary. Not sure that helps you at all, but hey, there it is!

nachoman999
10-20-2018, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the hard work!

zimbab
10-20-2018, 10:26 PM
Thanks for your hard work lordkator :)

Serrabell
10-20-2018, 11:06 PM

You are awesome sir, go get some rest, we will be ok :cool:

Omens
10-21-2018, 04:27 AM

Thanks !!!!!!!

arween
10-21-2018, 07:22 AM
Very good Work!
Thank you very much!
Deep bow

chayn
10-21-2018, 01:27 PM
I know the idea would never fly but $5.00/month to keep your Jedi would fund this thing forever..... :)

Kaolin
10-21-2018, 04:27 PM

Caio!!

As Misk stated- it may be worth checking into what skills / credentials our player base has in the realm of lawyers, accountants, etc.

In the last financial report https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207044 those fees represented about 20% of the costs at $7200. Surely we have some CPAs who perhaps could donate their time.

Mobyus1
11-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Good job, everyone!

https://i.imgur.com/innFfgH.png

Mauriac
11-04-2018, 07:48 PM
it's been a very very long time and I was never terribly great but I would be willing to study back up on things. Can't promise my ability stacks up to the job but I would love to help if I can.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a comp sci degree collecting dust and I've done a fair amount of coding in C and C++. I'd love to help if it's feasible.

I also set up a 10$ USD recurring donation. I really want this project to be seen through to Suncrusher.

nee2earth
11-04-2018, 08:49 PM
. I've got a comp sci degree collecting dust and I've done a fair amount of coding in C and C++. I'd love to help if it's feasible.

When you have some time, check out the following sticky threads w/ details:

https://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php?r=170-Development-Team-is-Recruiting
https://www.swgemu.com/bugs/view.php?id=4879
https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120093

Then, if possible, login to the IRC chat...

https://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php?r=690-Configuring-mIRC

...and do /join #opendev and ask for either Scurby or Ivojedi or Miztah

They'll be able to assist ya np

lordkator
11-04-2018, 10:05 PM
I'm in the same boat. I've got a comp sci degree collecting dust and I've done a fair amount of coding in C and C++. I'd love to help if it's feasible.

I also set up a 10$ USD recurring donation. I really want this project to be seen through to Suncrusher.

Always looking for more developers, if you're interested start by looking at the Development (https://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10) section and see if you can a learn bit there.

ANYONE can submit to review.swgemu.com (https://review.swgemu.com) your changes might not be accepted but you're welcome to dig around and see what you can do.

Over time if you keep pushing we can help guide you towards things that are in the backlog.

erminator
11-09-2018, 03:20 AM
Lets get into a habit of donating monthly not just when a push is made when the projects struggled after months of low funding !!!

Mauriac
11-09-2018, 03:21 AM
Truuu, I set a monthly donation up ya'll should do the same if you can afford it.

xirad
11-22-2018, 03:50 PM
Yup, it's super easy to do. Set it and forget it. If you play regularly then treat it line any other subscription-based game!