View Full Version : Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Vlada
08-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Basilisk extended downtime

Posted August 9th 2017
The SWGEmu Staff

Basilisk extended downtime

While doing a routine backup before the merge one of the HDD's died, unfortunately that was the second one we lost in a matter of weeks. Right now TheAnswer and the rest of development staff are discussing the options and trying to figure out how best to try to recover all Basilisks data. Of course, with two HDD's gone, there is a strong possibility that what they recover is too corrupt and unusable or they may not even manage to recover all the necessary data to restore Basilisk in its original state before merging it with Publish 9 code and we will be forced to do a full database wipe. Of course its still early to give any predictions but one thing is for sure, we are not at a point where we can definitely say that we will be able to move forward one way or the other.

We apologize for the extended downtime that is probably going to last for days.

No matter the the outcome, we thank you for your dedication and your continuous support. Of course we will keep you posted as things progress. As soon as we have any info, you will have it too.

Update 6:

Alright folks, here's our current status. From what we can tell, our database is in good enough shape to proceed with another Publish 9 merge attempt. There's still a lot of potential for corruption or database issues to crop up that we haven't seen, so we're going to be taking some extra precautions in case those issues do pop up. Because of this, when the server is taken down, expect an extended downtime before it comes back up with the new publish.

Our current schedule is looking like Basilisk will be taken down approximately 12 hours from now. That timeframe may change between now and then. Once it's taken down, we'll start the process of backing up the database again. With the size of the database, this alone will take a fair amount of time, so we're not going to give an ETA on when it will be back up. Once Basilisk does come up, the server's new navmesh system will begin building meshes for all static and player cities as well as POI's, which will also take some time. Expect the server to remain locked for a while after it comes up.

TLDR: When we take the server down, expect the update process to take a while to complete, especially with the issues we ran into over the past few days. We'll get the server up and running with Pub9 as quickly as we can.

Update 5:

Its a 48 hour test, so its ongoing. But, no bad news so far.

UPDATE 4:

Alright folks, update time. We've managed a recovery of the database and we've got everything copied over to our new SSD's. We're letting Bas run for the weekend as a stress test on the database to ensure there is no corruption that didn't pop up initially. This means that for this weekend, Basilisk is going to remain on Publish 8. We're looking to give the Publish 9 merge another shot on Monday, assuming all goes well over the next 48 hours. We'll update regarding Pub9 closer to Monday when we know for sure.

In the meantime, continue on Basilisk as you normally would. We'll be keeping an eye out on our side for any potential stability issues.

Keep in mind that we're still doing integrity checks on the database, if we run into any database corruption between now and then it's very likely that any progress you make this weekend will be lost when we revert to a backup. This is not guaranteed to occur, but be aware that it is definitely a possibility.

UPDATE 3:

We finished uploading 1.1TB of data and now we're going though it.

UPDATE 2:

To clarify a bit, Basilisk was up but still in the process of validating the integrity of most of the database objects. The server is currently running through our backup HDD's, which is causing the server's loading to take a lot longer than it normally would on SSD's. We shut down the login server because any actions triggered on Bas will delay the database check, and it's going to take long enough as it is.

The good news is, the server didn't explode using the recovered database. There's no current bad news, but as of right now, that's the only good news. We still have to verify that all of the objects in the database are actually valid and load properly, and it will take time. The possibility of a wipe still remains if we find too much corrupted data. Time will tell, but in the meantime you'll see Basilisk go online and offline multiple times, but you won't be able to access it. Those still connected will not be able to reconnect when they disconnect, and in the interest of getting this testing done as quickly as possible, they should disconnect on their own anyway.

UPDATE:

About the loading status: We are attempting to load a test db instance to check for data integrity. This should give us an indication of whether we'll need to wipe or not. It's loading on the HDDs so it's slow and will take time. Thanks for the continued patience.

~The SWGEMu Staff

blackpoint
08-09-2017, 03:33 PM
Noooooooooooooooo

xhodan
08-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Yesssssssssssssssssssss!

texparamedic
08-09-2017, 03:37 PM
That sucks. Thanks for the info, appreciate the update.

blackpoint
08-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Yesssssssssssssssssssss!

I'm fine with wipe, just not downtime :D

bigevil
08-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Noooooooooooooooo

Yesssssssssssssssssssss!

I'm kind of on the fence. :)

xhodan
08-09-2017, 03:39 PM
I'm fine with wipe, just not downtime :D

Yeah wipe is okay with me. DEVS time for wipe boyz! Everyone fresh start, would greatly improve a lot of things and would be nice to see giant parties of people grinding it all out again.

phersh1090
08-09-2017, 03:40 PM
ya but whens JTL?

papilove
08-09-2017, 03:40 PM
LoL!!! that be great wipe the MF gives everyone somthing to do again!

Serrabell
08-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Ummm ooops lol

Dasch
08-09-2017, 03:42 PM
...do a full database wipe.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oz8xZMZox78ZbWbFC/giphy.gif

blackpoint
08-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Can we have jedi on bluefrogs while basilisk is down? :)

danieltmarriott
08-09-2017, 03:45 PM
I'd take it! I mean my character was fully ready for FS grinding and had hundreds of pearls saved up. But honestly, I'd still love if you can't save the HDD. Lol.

IpissXelence
08-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Scorched Earth? What about the mall though?!?

papilove
08-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Server wipe would be best option the data is a maybe to recover not guaranteed.

Kissodeath
08-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Damn I have been putting off donating long enough looks like u guys need it now ...I don't care one way or the other really I'm only donating a couple hundred but I'm sure all helps in this time of need

papilove
08-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Scorched Earth? LOL what i was thinking! yes!

Loc-nar
08-09-2017, 03:55 PM
10/10 would wipe again!!!

sorensje
08-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Wipe it good and hard, free up then ghost town. Land is for the living!

papilove
08-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Winter is coming ......

Ameo
08-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Wish you the best to recover the data.
We had a wipe on Europa for data corruption and it's not funny.
Sure you'll find a way.

bigevil
08-09-2017, 04:04 PM
The thought of people running around in bone armor pieces and starter clothes shooting CDEFs makes me smile. :)

....but so does my series of pretty decorated houses on my private hilltop......hmmf....I guess we'll see. Either way theres always more to explore. :)

buellronin
08-09-2017, 04:05 PM
My wtfpwn weapons will all be gone....oh well.....skill overcomes all.....can't wait to start bas fresh...side servers will have no reason to be around any longer...they should migrate to bas and PvP nonstop.

This game ricks...either way...I'm cool..

The tears of the players from wipe will be epic...can't wait

PS...from the development side....sorry guys...I know it stinks.....I'm a half glass full guy...so the good news is that pop will go up and bas will have extra stress

teldar1899
08-09-2017, 04:05 PM
My wife a few friends of mine and myself just started playing this a few weeks ago. We would all be frustrated to lose what we have so far worked for. If at all possible get the data back, but if not, well I will continue to play anyway.

octayn
08-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Still trying to understand why the first drive wasn't replaced as soon as it died, most if not all providers have SLA's for failing/failed hardware.

Oh well, boom goes basilisk :D

Loc-nar
08-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Still trying to understand why the first drive wasn't replaced as soon as it died, most if not all providers have SLA's for failing/failed hardware.

Oh well, boom goes basilisk :D

Rent was due on the dev recreational island and Vlada was out of coke.

veaseomat
08-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Dew it

WiredNomads
08-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Yes!!

kazan88
08-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Go for the wipe since I don't play on this server but I might come back on a clean slate and not complain about getting killed by jawas in esily anymore plus if we start off with a group xp bonus I can grind my prof back in under 2 hours real fast?

Omens
08-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Wipe or no wipe... we just wanna play :)

johnmol
08-09-2017, 04:31 PM
I am all for a wipe. I just came back last week. I believe that it would help balance the current economy and housing issues. I constantly pass houses that say "returning Publish 5," but they clearly never returned.

LadyCierra
08-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Issues are bound to happen as is causes to that effect.

We can only offer our support to the emu staff, while they work on a solution and a fix for the issue that has come up.

Fissile
08-09-2017, 04:33 PM
My wife a few friends of mine and myself just started playing this a few weeks ago. We would all be frustrated to lose what we have so far worked for. If at all possible get the data back

6/10 trolling.

DaloLorn
08-09-2017, 04:37 PM
So this​ is how you're improving server stability... :p

falacy
08-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Good luck to ya.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you also had problems migrating your Berkeley database files and just don't want to admit to the general public that it's a system with flaws that can only really be resolved by deleting the DB files and starting over. If that really is the case, there's nothing wrong with admitting it and moving on. It's a complicated system, there are basically no tools for fixing Berkeley databases, and poop happens. Plus, you're not even finished building the whole system yet so, so what if the bugs haven't all been worked out yet.

You're doing a great job. No one expects you to be perfect.

I, at the very least, do expect you to be honest (seriously, who loses data to hard drive failures anymore? Really? That's either utter incompetence or a lie).

Psykikk
08-09-2017, 04:50 PM
I just bought the game (two times) about two weeks ago. i am good with a wipe and I am hopeful that the community comes alive once again.. abit more poeple actually playing instead of afk grinding it.
when I played live (pre-CU) back in the days, the community was the thing that made the major difference, the way it all had to work together to accomplish stuff.

reoze
08-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Good luck to ya.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you also had problems migrating your Berkeley database files and just don't want to admit to the general public that it's a system with flaws that can only really be resolved by deleting the DB files and starting over. If that really is the case, there's nothing wrong with admitting it and moving on. It's a complicated system, there are basically no tools for fixing Berkeley databases, and poop happens. Plus, you're not even finished building the whole system yet so, so what if the bugs haven't all been worked out yet.

You're doing a great job. No one expects you to be perfect.

I, at the very least, do expect you to be honest (seriously, who loses data to hard drive failures anymore? Really? That's either utter incompetence or a lie).

There is no migration in this publish...Congratulations on trying to sound smart, but you're way off here. This is a hardware failure, plain and simple.

Trakaa
08-09-2017, 04:59 PM
There is no migration in this publish...Congratulations on trying to sound smart, but you're way off here. This is a hardware failure, plain and simple.

So, you are telling me they had exactly ONE backup? I find that incredibly hard to believe. You are either naive for believing that or they actually DO have one backup and that is frankly terrible.

Livy2K
08-09-2017, 05:02 PM
So, you are telling me they had exactly ONE backup? I find that incredibly hard to believe. You are either naive for believing that or they actually DO have one backup and that is frankly terrible.

Im sure they have a hardcopy and just need a few years to scan it

neutrineaux
08-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Wipe and come back with one or two characters per account? Brilliant!

PanGalactic
08-09-2017, 05:04 PM
This server is LONG OVERDUE for a complete wipe of everything including names !

lavender
08-09-2017, 05:05 PM
If only. Feels like a missed opportunity to wipe without that.

xhodan
08-09-2017, 05:05 PM

YES! Agreed, do it!

jimmy
08-09-2017, 05:09 PM
bet it was a sony ssd that crashed too :-(

Calvian
08-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Two character limit is all good in a real launch but this is still for testing.... It's a lot harder to make sure everything is working as intended with a two character limit.

zelvader
08-09-2017, 05:12 PM
I feel sorry for you developers i hope everything is going okay :(

I've hope you'll get the codes back wipe or restored i believe in you all developers

and like they said "sharing is caring" :)

reoze
08-09-2017, 05:21 PM

Naive? I wrote the last database migration, there have been none since. You can look at the code if you wish, it's all spelled out as clearly as possible.

inck243
08-09-2017, 05:24 PM
So how far back would it wipe? I'm not sure when Pub 9 was. I hope you can recover the data! thx!

egroendyk
08-09-2017, 05:26 PM
As for me, my initial reaction was "Noooooooo" and then my secondary reaction was "Okaaaaaayyyyy!" I'd love to see the server reset and for there to be all new traffic to the server. A lot of the settled areas would be finally be open to the active players, again; enough with these completely-abandoned player cities. Publish 9 will bring a healthy addition of gameplay and things to do and the freshness of a restart is exactly the poetic justice I think this community could use.

Weed-out the real players and your longtermer's while flushing-out the excess bulk that has run the server down. Open it all up to those of us who check the forums daily for posts like this, rather than keep the unnecessary junk left-behind by those who don't/can't play anymore. Publish 9 and 10 are really where the bulk of players will come in, anyway, so, what's a small hiccup startover to the amount of attraction this, and the next, Publish will garner?

That's funny: fallacy* creates a false dichotomy without any further information! Perhaps we should trust them and not make a big deal out of it. (:

Vlada
08-09-2017, 05:27 PM
So how far back would it wipe? I'm not sure when Pub 9 was. I hope you can recover the data! thx!

Somewhere from the small of the back all the way to the front, just under the belly button.

Matt Treck
08-09-2017, 05:33 PM
I appreciate all the work I'm sure is going into this. Other than debugging issues that could arise with historical data, I don't think anyone would be seriously opposed with a full wipe at this point.

In terms of actual gameplay (which is second/third priority to testing/development), it would probably do much more to help than hurt. In terms of testing, the major concern are those issues that can arise because of historical data. You wouldn't be able to find those with a new database.

Good luck, once again I appreciate all of the hard work/free labor. :)

IcavRibe5150
08-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Somewhere from the small of the back all the way to the front, just under the belly button.

Vlada has a detailed bdb dump tattooed much like a tramp stamp but far more exciting.

weberk
08-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Im sure they have a hardcopy and just need a few years to scan itBwa ha ha ha.

Also, sad face

Jaws
08-09-2017, 05:42 PM
As with others - my initial reaction was an immediate loosening of my bowels into my shorts. My second reaction however-ok, much the same. After a bit of thought.....still the same.

However, roll with the punches. I mean - the project will most likely wipe at the end anyhow. Thanks for the work guys - too bad the merge wasn't smooth but wth, when was a major project on computers ever silky smooth? :/

Fissile
08-09-2017, 05:42 PM

it's a poo poo joke!

Jaws
08-09-2017, 05:43 PM
PS, I guess I can wipe my sig now - since there's no longer an IO on tatooine. :)

shivashandra
08-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Oh my god :o
I don't really want the server to be wiped right now, but if it happens, well it's not that bad :)
I wish TA and all devs good luck, and anyway, you guys are still the best ! Thanks for all your work ! <3

(How much does the HD costed ? I think it's a perfect time to make donations...)

Jaws
08-09-2017, 05:47 PM
New working title:

Publish 9: The revenge of Norrth

Ryjarob
08-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Please ignore the trolls. We appreciate all the hard work you are continuing to provide on this project.

Whatever the outcome, we will accept it and continue as members of the project.

As for all the stuff that will be lost, we will rebuild :)

ebayne
08-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Top 10 Things Heard on Basilisk Today
How many midichlorians in a gigabyte?
this is what we mean when we tell people to enjoy today because it could all be wiped tomorrow
..it happens
no wipe is "planned"
deal with it
it's a GAME
it's NOT just a game
it's not EVEN a game, it's a development project
pixel power isn't real
we don't need no water let the ... burn
Thanks for what you do devs. Let the haters hate.

eapeih
08-09-2017, 05:52 PM
New working title:

Publish 9: The revenge of Norrth
Taking Scortched Eath to a whole new level

Lostphoenix
08-09-2017, 05:55 PM
oh well, should be fun starting from scratch if thats what happens. a lot of abandoned buildings on this server, would be nice to see it clean

teldar1899
08-09-2017, 06:02 PM
6/10 trolling.

I assure you I am no troll. I enjoyed playing, and would like to continue with what I have done. If there is no other solution, then wiping the server is the best option, but I would much prefer to continue with what I started doing than having to start over again.

Fissile
08-09-2017, 06:11 PM
I assure you I am no troll. I enjoyed playing, and would like to continue with what I have done. If there is no other solution, then wiping the server is the best option, but I would much prefer to continue with what I started doing than having to start over again.

I was only jesting friend. there's many more out there with much more that are probably crying into pillows all over the world.

buellronin
08-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Scorched Earth? What about the mall though?!?

ROFL!

/10wipes

Bhorklaw
08-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all that you all do, I look forward to when the servers are running again. Wiped or not I will still enjoy the project. I will miss my Rifles that are no longer available, but I can manage.

arween
08-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Install it (the new hdd), wipe it (hm, a fresh db isn't a wipe), merge it (nova code ftw) :-)

OniNaito
08-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Install it (the new hdd), wipe it (hm, a fresh db isn't a wipe), merge it (nova code ftw) :-)

Technologic.... technologic

Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it

Badkarma060
08-09-2017, 06:27 PM
I remember when I played when it first came out. If you got killed on a mission running around in your drawers, back to loot your corpse, lol. Oh yeah running as there were no mounts or vehicles. My buddies and I had fun.

frostbiteVR
08-09-2017, 06:27 PM
I welcome a wipe with open cheeks

deadshadow
08-09-2017, 06:32 PM
im all thumbs up for a potential wipie :D

Duloh
08-09-2017, 06:38 PM
If we have a vote, then I'm for a wipe

hybridtheory
08-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Wipe! who knows what kind of new bugs we can find!

FurytheOriginal
08-09-2017, 06:50 PM
A wipe would make things interesting for sure.... bring me back to the opening days of live which would be a ton of fun to be honest

Light speed Mr Sulu.... oh wait wrong universe DOH !!

Talmara
08-09-2017, 06:51 PM
If you do have to complete a full wipe, would this not present an opportunity to update the core to the latest greatest version?

Or am I thinking about this wrong?

Superser
08-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Well, Basilisk is here since 2012. It was a long run. I welcome the new Patch 9 and eventually a wipe. Unfortunately I had no time to take a picture of my 10-toon family all togheter ...8 of which LD :)
Good job Devs. As always!
Opith

Todah
08-09-2017, 07:08 PM
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l4FGqK8Dh3W3YmpwI" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/nba-dance-fan-l4FGqK8Dh3W3YmpwI">wewt!</a></p>

Sukalo
08-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Well, Basilisk is here since 2012. It was a long run. I welcome the new Patch 9 and eventually a wipe. Unfortunately I had no time to take a picture of my 10-toon family all togheter ...8 of which LD :)
Good job Devs. As always!
Opith

Screen grab from login screen

zazano
08-09-2017, 07:15 PM
I'm curious why someone decided it was a good idea to not use donations to replace the HDD drive lost a week before and go ahead with the update.

stark323
08-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Just incase it does wipe i've grabbed screenshots of my character so I can recreate him :P

PigGeneral
08-09-2017, 07:21 PM
I'm curious why someone decided it was a good idea to not use donations to replace the HDD drive lost a week before and go ahead with the update.

There is no acceptable answer in this day and age. The concept of losing your DB backup is where I'd laugh someone out of an interview.

lavender
08-09-2017, 07:23 PM
There is no acceptable answer in this day and age. The concept of losing your DB backup is where I'd laugh someone out of an interview.
This could have been prevented if they just installed Gentoo.

wrrlykam
08-09-2017, 07:30 PM
As a trader with stock, accumulated resource and a customer base, a wipe is a painful thought. But if it must be it must be.

Jervin
08-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Then again funding for the project is in the toilet. Be glad this project is still on its feet. Everyone should take this opportunity to cough up $20-50.

Peak
08-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Then again funding for the project is in the toilet. Be glad this project is still on its feet. Everyone should take this opportunity to cough up $20-50.
Agreed

Quoloth
08-09-2017, 07:36 PM
The wipe isn't what upsets me. It's unfortunate but that's okay, its a test server. But there's no good reason not to have proper backup practices in place these days. 3-2-1 rule is the way to go. 3 copies, 2 physical devices, 1 remote. Lots of free software to do it too.

bigevil
08-09-2017, 07:38 PM

I have no issue coughing up a few more space bucks if we need it. Need to increase my gold bar count anyway. :p

zazano
08-09-2017, 07:38 PM

Why is donating more money the answer? I'm asking why this patch was pushed without purchasing a new HDD drive.

PigGeneral
08-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Would it go to an infrastructure engineer that has worked in the real world in the last 20 years? Is there a price breakdown of how donations are spent? This is a pretty big "whoopsie" for me to open my wallet on the heels of.

Audune
08-09-2017, 07:42 PM
I was under the impression the Basilisk server was a hosted machine at some datacenter in Dallas. A blown hard drive I would think would have been taken care of by the host and not necessarily something the buyer had to cough up extra for. But, hard drives are cheap.

What I'm confused on is you did lose the raid, throwing in a new hard drive and restoring it from a prior backed up image should be much easier than waiting and praying for a recovery operation to happen. At worst you'd lose... a day? Unless someone was slacking on the normally accepted backup practices.

At any rate, a wipe now vs one later, doesn't really change the grand scheme of it all going away anyways.

But yeah... check your drives at home kids. It's not fun.

Also, wtf, when was the last time I posted here? Been a while.

DDSilver
08-09-2017, 07:42 PM

Sure there is : Lack of proper funding.

Talking about funding, like so many others here I just realized it is time to donate again.
This is not just an elaborate ploy to make our hard-earned well deserved money your hard-earned well deserved money, right?

Concerning the possible wipe, I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooohhhhkey... that could work out nicely.
Do what you must.

phantomswake
08-09-2017, 07:44 PM
I think it's easy to be an armchair critic and get upset as to why you think x or y should have happened. What would be harder would be to empathize with what the team is going through while developing a game.

In my mind you have to prioritize what is most important and I doubt redundancy is at the top of their list right now. I mean it's been stated many, many times that this is a development phase so don't get to attached to any technological terror you have constructed.

This event was not only possible, but should have been expected.

My thanks the the developers for all the hard work. I had my doubts long ago as if this project would get off the ground and I have been surprised how much it has soared.

Pub 9 represents a day long anticipated and I think represents the majority of the ground game as I remember it long ago. The development and implementation of jump to lightspeed will have some affect on the ground game but is mostly indirect.

A wipe is not the end of the world or the game for that matter, its a new beginning.

Vlada
08-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Why is donating more money the answer? I'm asking why this patch was pushed without purchasing a new HDD drive.

Had we known we would have replaced it. This isn't a situation where we made a conscious decision to ignore a broken HDD.

**** happens, in our case its a massive amount of ****, but oh well, what's done is done. Instead of throwing blame, which btw will change absolutely nothing, we need to roll up our sleeves and start shoveling it.

Shadow30
08-09-2017, 07:48 PM
+1 for wipe.

Introducing Jedi into an environment similar to what Suncrusher will be for testing is as good as you will get from a meaningful feedback standpoint IMHO. I'd also be a fan of tossing in some cash to help get the additional hardware where you all would want/need it moving forward on the push towards Suncrusher.

Thanks!

bigevil
I was under the impression the Basilisk server was a hosted machine at some datacenter in Dallas. A blown hard drive I would think would have been taken care of by the host and not necessarily something the buyer had to cough up extra for. But, hard drives are cheap.

What I'm confused on is you did lose the raid, throwing in a new hard drive and restoring it from a prior backed up image should be much easier than waiting and praying for a recovery operation to happen. At worst you'd lose... a day? Unless someone was slacking on the normally accepted backup practices.

At any rate, a wipe now vs one later, doesn't really change the grand scheme of it all going away anyways.

But yeah... check your drives at home kids. It's not fun.

Also, wtf, when was the last time I posted here? Been a while.

Holy ****, long time no see. Hello :p

.....and your answer is 2012. LOL.

PigGeneral
See that's the thing, if you design a system in that a single HDD failure is the end of it, you have failed in your design.

It's a fair question to ask why more money is the solution to this.

Was it the EMU is unable to afford appropriate redundancy? If that's the case, say so.

Dingbata
08-09-2017, 07:50 PM
(My Apologises i'm new) this is not a normal thing to occur right? If so good luck devs :)

phantomswake
08-09-2017, 07:53 PM
"See that's the thing, if you design a system in that a single HDD failure is the end of it, you have failed in your design."

I would agree if priority went to redundancy but its not and shouldn't be the focus until we have a final product that we want redundant.

Audune
08-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Holy ****, long time no see. Hello :p

.....and your answer is 2012. LOL.

I'm old now v.v

:p Hey I was just happy to see there was a Discord server for chat now. Finally moved off IRC a year ago and have gotten down to just 2 IM programs... still waiting for the Imperium (EVE Online) to get off jabber. One day, my wish will come true.

bigevil
See that's the thing, if you design a system in that a single HDD failure is the end of it, you have failed in your design.

Was it the EMU is unable to afford appropriate redundancy? If that's the case, say so.

I think It was mentioned that two drives failed across a period of time. In RAID10 with a min stack of four drives, up to two can fail, but it matters which two. Hence, where we are now. Cherry picking technical negligence is inappropriate nor constructive.

Pointing fingers at the host solves zero now either. Live and learn and prepare for next time. Hold end accountability later. For now, other goals.

PigGeneral
"See that's the thing, if you design a system in that a single HDD failure is the end of it, you have failed in your design."

I would agree if priority went to redundancy but its not and shouldn't be the focus until we have a final product that we want redundant.

*So what do donations go towards then?*

millenijan
08-09-2017, 07:56 PM
i think thy are just F****ing with us. in the end they will be like... tada it was just part of our pub 9 outcomming. you will see. :)

Thianraven
08-09-2017, 07:57 PM
My wife and I met when SWG was live. We found out that SWGEMU was running a little over a year ago. To us. Its a connection we have had and we love playing the game together. If you need to do a Wipe then so be it. the two of us will be here when its running again. Like life. everyone hits bumps and sometimes a do over is very welcomed. I personally would love to see the complete Pre-CU game running instead of in sections. My favorite part was JTL. in any case we discussed it and when things are back up if we need to start over we have already made our plans to do so. My thanks to the devs and others that kept SWG going for us. To some of us its more prescious than gold.

phantomswake
08-09-2017, 07:58 PM

I would imagine a lot of things, development being at the top of the list.

PigGeneral
08-09-2017, 07:59 PM

It's a volunteer project, you mean to tell me they have paid devs on this? Who?

DDSilver
08-09-2017, 07:59 PM

Turns out it was a double HDD failure.
On a testing/Beta system that was promised to be wiped since day one.
Redundancy and recovery would not be my top priorities either. Even less considering the fact that the product is functionally not where I'd want it to be.

Rather it happens now and they learn from it. (That is pretty much the reason behind Basilisk) then have it happening on Suncrusher.

Vlada
08-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Actually no, development is free. If you're interested, you can check some of our yearly financial reports, that should give you the good idea what money is being spent on. Which reminds me, I am late with the new one, ill have to post it once we have Bas up and running again.

Thianraven
08-09-2017, 08:03 PM
I would love to help with the coding part. But the last time I did any was on an atari 800 XL. so I DONT think I qualify unfortunately. *Chuckles*

phantomswake
08-09-2017, 08:03 PM
I'm not a developer nor will I pretend to be one.

But I can tell you as a person who has been in many management and problem solving positions over 40 years, that even with a volunteer project there would be expenses.

zazano
08-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Had we known we would have replaced it. This isn't a situation where we made a conscious decision to ignore a broken HDD.

**** happens, in our case its a massive amount of ****, but oh well, what's done is done. Instead of throwing blame, which btw will change absolutely nothing, we need to roll up our sleeves and start shoveling it.

I'm not blaming anyone.

"While doing a routine backup before the merge one of the HDD's died, unfortunately that was the second one we lost in a matter of weeks."

This leads me to believe a new HDD could have been purchased prior to this merge but it wasn't. I'm not against the wipe, I'm asking why the HDD drive that died weeks ago was not replaced before arguably the most significant patch to date. Which in my mind is a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

Xandor
08-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Just wipe and move forward.

bigevil
08-09-2017, 08:09 PM
You'd have to ask the host of the DB. Is that Denver or Dallas? I forget.

tellyers
08-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Whatever you guys (devs) find easiest is fine with me. A wipe would be nice to clear out all the abandoned structures.
Also allow whatever resources I get to suddenly become server best.

Delta One
So, it's really sad how many (myself included), hope that the HDD dying doesn't affect the project progress, but does force a wipe. Heh that would be maybe the most exciting SWGEMU update for me in years

PigGeneral
I'm not blaming anyone.

"While doing a routine backup before the merge one of the HDD's died, unfortunately that was the second one we lost in a matter of weeks."

This leads me to believe a new HDD could have been purchased prior to this merge but it wasn't. I'm not against the wipe, I'm asking why the HDD drive that died weeks ago was not replaced before arguably the most significant patch to date. Which in my mind is a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

I agree. A wipe on purpose is one thing, a wipe because of mismanaged data is quite another.

Once is never, twice is always. Is there going to be a next time?

Dom Crispo
08-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Support the team not matter what happens, been here this long, will be here as long as i can..

Thianraven
08-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Same here Dom. Its a game not the end of life. It simply is what it is. So why complain.

Vlada
08-09-2017, 08:15 PM
I agree. A wipe on purpose is one thing, a wipe because of mismanaged data is quite another.

Once is never, twice is always. Is there going to be a next time?

You're gonna have to stick around to find out.

Duloh
08-09-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm not blaming anyone.

Hindsight is always 20/20, if they were going into this merger thinking something is going to mess up I'm pretty sure they would replace it. But I'm sure they thought it would be a routine merge and all would go well.

But it didn't and now they get to hear from all you guys, which I'm sure is one thing they don't ever look forward to

Vlada
08-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20, if they were going into this merger thinking something is going to mess up I'm pretty sure they would replace it. But I'm sure they thought it would be a routine merge and all would go well.

But it didn't and now they get to hear from all you guys, which I'm sure is one thing they don't ever look forward to

Oh we do. That is always the highlight of any hardware failure.

buellronin
08-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Buell ronin should be in charge of data..I have never lost any electronic data due to backups... I am a god

PigGeneral
08-09-2017, 08:23 PM
You're gonna have to stick around to find out.

If I purchase the AWS disk on annual basis to have a weekly backup schedule, will you use it?

FurytheOriginal
08-09-2017, 08:24 PM
OK all the people complaining... I see you have been here for a while and I am sure you are upset you are going to loose whatever ultimate armor and weapons you built up since its painful... but I also do not see very many people that actually donate to the project...

Its not unreasonable to charge a monthly fee to play this IMO but they allow people to play for free and from what I see they haven't made the $2000 a month in funds the goal is set at the last 2 months... which in my opinion is VERY low

If you get hours of fun a month out of something support it so it will be there in the future.... you will drop $40-50 going to a movie and that is only a few hours of entertainment

On a side note... arm chair trolling is never helpful and always detrimental.....

phantomswake
08-09-2017, 08:25 PM
"Once is never, twice is always. Is there going to be a next time?"

This statement is an incorrect inference.

Supposedly took Thomas Edison over 1000 attempts to perfect a light bulb. He never looked at an attempt as a failure but the next step.

So it's more about perspective.

Vlada
08-09-2017, 08:28 PM
If I purchase the AWS disk on annual basis to have a weekly backup schedule, will you use it?

I don't know about other but I might use it... for stuff.

Seriously though, that is a question for TheAnswer, not for me. I would just backup my Asian midget porn there.

PigGeneral
08-09-2017, 08:29 PM
I don't know about other but I might use it... for stuff.

Seriously though, that is a question for TheAnswer, not for me. I would just backup my Asian midget porn there.

Well I mean, if the answer we get to the question "how to make sure this doesn't happen again" is "donate because we don't have the resources for weekly backups", okay I'll donate what will fix this specifically.

eapeih
08-09-2017, 08:32 PM
With current state of development is there an argument to be made to launch Sun Crusher a bit early?

GiStaak
08-09-2017, 08:35 PM
I'm not blaming anyone.

Because HDD wipes aren't predictable. HDD failure rates are quoted as MTBFs - Mean Time Between Failures - which means that statistically, there's a 50% chance the disk will last longer and a 50% chance it will already have failed. I've had HDDs last for over a decade and some start to fail within their warranty.

This is a volunteer project that is focused on development and Basilisk is essentially a live test server; there's no guarantee of continuous service and we know that once the project is complete it will be wiped anyway. If this was a business, I'd totally be with you, but it isn't. I guess what it comes down to is this: you're getting alpha access to a game in development and you can choose to donate or you can choose not to donate. Either way, the development goes on and until a golden master/release candidate is ready the devs really don't have an obligation to make user progress ironclad. It's no different to installing a beta OS on your computer, there's always a disclaimer that says "if it ****s up your system, tough ****."

I'm kinda bummed, I was hoping to get home tonight and see the old man. But the more I think about it, it'll be kinda cool to see a hell of a lot more activity and people grinding again. :)

Vlada
08-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Well I mean, if the answer we get to the question "how to make sure this doesn't happen again" is "donate because we don't have the resources for weekly backups", okay I'll donate what will fix this specifically.

I'm not sure who said that donating more or less is directly linked to backups, but they are wrong. Donating is however directly linked to Bas existence, because if we run out of funds, Bas since it is our biggest expense, will be the first thing we will be forced to shut down. But his is nothing new, we were clear about this from the get go, if we cant afford it, we wont run it.

risenangel
08-09-2017, 08:36 PM
nvm vlada answered it

Vlada
08-09-2017, 08:37 PM
With current state of development is there an argument to be made to launch Sun Crusher a bit early?

That is one thing i can guarantee is not going to happen.

drake groth
08-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Jedi will dominate pvp if there is a wipe, there will be zero weapons to stomp them with. Bye bye SB scatter, rip. Ill still play, but it's a shame i didnt get to test against jedi first. That was my main basilisk goal.

papilove
08-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Jedi will dominate pvp if there is a wipe, there will be zero weapons to stomp them with. Bye bye SB scatter, rip. Ill still play, but it's a shame i didnt get to test against jedi first. That was my main basilisk goal. atleast you tested it on DJM's :P

Whorg
08-09-2017, 08:41 PM
If it wipes.. 1 suggestion to go along with a possible lower character limit, get rid of ADK's!! Long live devoted weaponsmiths and armorsmiths! (Though with a wipe that would fix the insane amount of them in game anyways).

seljuk88
08-09-2017, 08:49 PM
I for one am looking forward to a wipe. Would be nice to see everyone reset and working together to rebuild.

Crazzienes
08-09-2017, 08:54 PM
awww yeah bring the wipe!! Will be fun like when the game was amazing.... and yes I am one of those that had crates upon crates of everything ready for my jedi grind.... but a wipe really would level the playing field, I'm excited for the publish no matter which direction they go.

Livy2K
08-09-2017, 08:55 PM
10 pages and no refunds offered?

2017 .....

Megatroid
08-09-2017, 08:58 PM
/Wipe or /Recover...whatever best moves the project forward.

14.1 or bust

FurytheOriginal
08-09-2017, 08:59 PM
On a constructive note... PCB swaps do work occasionally if it is not a mechanical failure...

greyjedi717
08-09-2017, 09:01 PM
But...I was a day away from my 360 vet reward... =P

GiStaak
08-09-2017, 09:02 PM
10 pages and no refunds offered?

2017 .....

LOL! Reminds me of how crazy the SoE forums got after the CU and NGE :D

archon210
08-09-2017, 09:03 PM
If it wipes.. 1 suggestion to go along with a possible lower character limit, get rid of ADK's!! Long live devoted weaponsmiths and armorsmiths! (Though with a wipe that would fix the insane amount of them in game anyways).

wipe
get rid of adks
2 character limit
plz

Paranormal
08-09-2017, 09:05 PM
@greyjedi I had 3 days left 😭

pie123
08-09-2017, 09:08 PM
The thought of people running around in bone armor pieces and starter clothes shooting CDEFs makes me smile. :)

I'm both laughing and crying at the same time xD

Swilliams
08-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Just started 3 days ago and now theres a wipe with long server down time. :(

Trinityac
08-09-2017, 09:13 PM
I came back after a break around 6 months ago and I have been very happy. I was anticipating publish 9 and working on my Jedi now if there is a wipe I will just do it differently than I planned. This is a great game and I only have praise for the Devs and those who donated to keep this game going. I am ashamed that I have not given financially and plan on changing that oversite soon. I know the Devs will get it done.

DDSilver
08-09-2017, 09:18 PM
2 character limit

How about no?

Dbrock
08-09-2017, 09:19 PM
I'm all for a wipe.. Sorry to hear the bad news...

greyjedi717
08-09-2017, 09:22 PM
@greyjedi I had 3 days left 😭

Sorry bud. I know the pain. =P

Thinkeel4128
08-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!

danieltmarriott
08-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Good... This will ruin Symbiotic's life. I hate that guy. :p

dedaskalion
08-09-2017, 09:32 PM
for the love of god, if it wipes please implement character restrictions

Cartomancer
08-09-2017, 09:33 PM
I've come to vote for a wipe.

Jaws
08-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Its not unreasonable to charge a monthly fee to play this IMO but they allow people to play for free and from what I see they haven't made the $2000 a month in funds the goal is set at the last 2 months... which in my opinion is VERY low

They can't charge a monthly fee. ****** would be down their throat in a minute. People, on the other hand, can DONATE monthly to this nonprofit project.

daxxvacine
08-09-2017, 09:34 PM
Just let the DB and let's start over. I don't mind. I love playing the game. Ohhhh...does this mean I can get the toon name I wanted?

Scrapster
08-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Just started 3 days ago and now theres a wipe with long server down time. :(

LOL imagine if you had mastered 75% of the professions, amassed a small fortune and a bunch of gear, and were just ready to get started on Jedi. This is the first wipe (if it happens) in YEARS.

Consider yourself lucky.

buellronin
08-09-2017, 09:36 PM
for the love of god, if it wipes please implement character restrictions

Let's let.the developers pick what they think is best for the project and testing instead of inserting what we want for our own personal play style.

NRay7882
08-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Is there anything else the users can do other than donations? Could we possibly donate spare drives to have available for any future drive failures? Either way, good luck on getting things restored and try not to focus your thoughts on any of the negative feedback. I appreciate all the work you are all doing to help me play one of my favorite games again.

Misk Brebran
08-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh said it best (well after Crash taught him what to say)...

"We gotta play [it] one day at a time. I'm just happy to be here. Hope I can help the [community]. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out. A good friend of mine used to say, 'This is a very simple game...Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.' Think about that for a while."

;p

LadyCierra
08-09-2017, 09:45 PM
The problem with character restrictions is that requires a large player base to test correctly, Basilisk lacks the large numbers to do this well or correctly.

The game they offer us to play is bound to run into snags along the way, that's part of the process. We can either offer our support and thanks and allow them to continue their work towards getting the server back up or you can be part of that crowd that has to be watched and have threads locked.

Myself I would rather offer my support as I do want to play again, I love this game and this project. Without them we wouldn't experience this game again, I'm truly grateful to the emu staff.

If I get banned for speaking this part of my mind, then I will move onto another game with great sadness. I can't see Emu Staff getting any work done towards getting the game up and running again when they are constantly harrassed.

Ashdanjadestel
08-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Just like Fight Club - Everything sets back to zero...

Well, Better it happens now than later.

zazano
08-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Just like Fight Club - Everything sets back to zero...

Well, Better it happens now than later.

good point, glad we got the wipe out the way. suncrusher 2012.

Hellgrom
08-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Wipe FTW.... and is nova server being up a good sign??

Vikko
08-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Wipe FTW.... and is nova server being up a good sign??

I would presume that Nova is run on entirely separate hardware, so I doubt its an indication of anything related to the Basilisk crash,
except that it might let them get a leg up on setting up the Publish 9 version of Bas perhaps.

jdi
08-09-2017, 10:32 PM
i dont see how. you can only have 2 characters online at a time so having 10 characters doesnt effect the online player base. plus there is a test server where you can instantly be any prof you want if someone actually wants to test. i personally have never seen, spoken to or heard of anyone actually testing anything on bas ever.
i really dont understand why its even debatable if 14.1 is the goal. why get every insignificant nuance of the game down perfectly but ignore something that has such an immensely large effect on the entire game?

Ryjarob
08-09-2017, 10:45 PM
+1 for wipe.

Introducing Jedi into an environment similar to what Suncrusher will be for testing is as good as you will get from a meaningful feedback standpoint IMHO. I'd also be a fan of tossing in some cash to help get the additional hardware where you all would want/need it moving forward on the push towards Suncrusher.

Thanks!

Erm, how?
It will take players longer to get to the village.. and complete village grind. Therefore it will take longer for any bugs to be stumbled upon, test and ironed out.
Please tell me how a wipe will benefit testing? because I don't see it.

birdmanyo
08-09-2017, 10:54 PM
I'm still kind of new so I don't know. But if all that is required to start being a Jedi is to get a couple badges and master a class, then it does worry me that the server will become overloaded with Jedi and not enough bountyhunters to counteract it if there's a whipe.

captainstormy
08-09-2017, 11:02 PM
I'm still kind of new so I don't know. But if all that is required to start being a Jedi is to get a couple badges and master a class, then it does worry me that the server will become overloaded with Jedi and not enough bountyhunters to counteract it if there's a whipe.

Its more complicated than that. The requirements to get the old man visit mean you have to have done a few of the end game things like the corvette or DWB.

Then you have to be able to survive dathomir. The village takes months to complete and then you unlock a Jedi.

birdmanyo
08-09-2017, 11:06 PM
Ok cool that sounds better.. also I wonder if there will be player bounties on others besides Jedi..in the Publish 9:secrets of the force redux under "events , dungeons, etc", it states "added player bounty hunting" doesn't just say Jedi, but who knows.. I'd love to see more pvp

gozirraizroose
08-09-2017, 11:11 PM
The problem with character restrictions is that requires a large player base to test correctly, Basilisk lacks the large numbers to do this well or correctly.

Can we agree that the playerbase has sufficiently tested having the majority of their characters test the hell out of surveying? I am SO tired of seeing literally hundreds of zombie miners in the main cities.

Since we can only have 2 on at a time anyway, I see no reason to have more than 2, period. Unless you can provide some insight? Remember we still have the ghost town of Nova if you need to "test" anything instantly.

Thaleenin
08-09-2017, 11:12 PM
Vote, if you can't get the data in a week and it looks like it will take a long time then wipe. Not a big deal, most of us are here for the long haul... and are from the old sony days... so we know **** happens.

Thanks for all the hard work the dev's and testers have put into it so far.

gozirraizroose
08-09-2017, 11:17 PM

Master four classes. They don't tell you which four. So you have to guess, and hope. Later down the road Sony introduced Holocrons, which told you one of the classes you had to master. You could use three of them to figure out 3/4 of your classes (out of a possible 32). The fourth Holocron was "silent", so the only way to become glowy was to keep mastering classes until the old man showed up. So, no, it's NOT just "master a class and you get a glow bat, pwn brrt".

KommissarWhode
08-09-2017, 11:21 PM
You cannot control hardware failures. You also cannot control the need for a required wipe. You have done all this work on nothing or minimal donations, none of us have anything to complain about, and you certainly don't need to apologize. Thank you for all you've been doing for us hopeless SWG addicts, all these years, and we appreciate your future work for us as well. Anyone who says otherwise is a worthless rebel scumbag, and the Empire has more work to do. o7

DDSilver
08-09-2017, 11:25 PM
i dont see how. you can only have 2 characters online at a time so having 10 characters doesnt effect the online player base. plus there is a test server where you can instantly be any prof you want if someone actually wants to test. i personally have never seen, spoken to or heard of anyone actually testing anything on bas ever.
i really dont understand why its even debatable if 14.1 is the goal. why get every insignificant nuance of the game down perfectly but ignore something that has such an immensely large effect on the entire game?

Likely because this game's playerbase and its target audience have changed significantly over the years.

One of the biggest differences between 19 year old me and 33 year old me is about 4 hours of game time a day.
If I have to spend more then half of the little time I do have looking for dancers and doctors who's numbers will be decimated by such restrictions, I'll be gone within a month. Though that's just me off course.

Anyway, the devs have the numbers, and they have been doing a great job so far. So I have faith they'll make the right call.

Evil Cyborg 10
08-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Did not expect to see this when I woke up. Maybe we just weren't ever meant to get jedi.

Do what ever you have to do devs, we support you.

Lostphoenix
08-09-2017, 11:31 PM
Likely because this game's playerbase and its target audience have changed significantly over the years.

One of the biggest differences between 19 year old me and 33 year old me is about 4 hours of game time a day.
If I have to spend more then half of the little time I do have looking for dancers and doctors who's numbers will be decimated by such restrictions, I'll be gone within a month. Though that's just me off course.

Anyway, the devs have the numbers, and they have been doing a great job so far. So I have faith they'll make the right call.

fully agree

Ra1led
08-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Its more complicated than that. The requirements to get the old man visit mean you have to have done a few of the end game things like the corvette or DWB.

Then you have to be able to survive dathomir. The village takes months to complete and then you unlock a Jedi.

This is incorrect. You don't have to have done the DWB or Corvette...you need to have done Jabba's Park, IMP or REB park, Nym's Park and the Warren. And then a bunch of badges. You can substitute the Vette for the Warren or a themepark
http://www.covenantofthephoenix.com/forums/topic/30794-jedi-information/

photekobv
08-09-2017, 11:40 PM
Keep up the good work guys. We'll all be here when the server comes back.

BrohenAco1988
08-09-2017, 11:59 PM
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Fissile
08-10-2017, 12:34 AM
I want kittens, a free respec, milkshakes every time I log in, vlada poll dancing, at least a freaking back up of data done a week, SEM to have 1 afker per high end site, the Debs to let me know how to farm djm more efficient, buell to be funny again, hybrid to up his meme game, scurby to run the nude mod and wrestle veplo in coronet cantina every Tuesday and yenz to lend his hammer to me every other weekend.

Pleeto
08-10-2017, 12:36 AM
https://blog.codinghorror.com/content/images/2014/Feb/our_disaster_recovery_plan.png

susanmarblesoft
08-10-2017, 12:51 AM
I really would like to see more people with the Donation Icon on their profiles.

Everyone show your support to the Devs by foregoing Starbucks (or whatever you're into) and putting some coin towards our server!

Matt Treck
08-10-2017, 01:00 AM
I want kittens, a free respec, milkshakes every time I log in, vlada poll dancing, at least a freaking back up of data done a week, SEM to have 1 afker per high end site, the Debs to let me know how to farm djm more efficient, buell to be funny again, hybrid to up his meme game, scurby to run the nude mod and wrestle veplo in coronet cantina every Tuesday and yenz to lend his hammer to me every other weekend.

You okay?

rwp389
08-10-2017, 01:05 AM
I really would like to see more people with the Donation Icon on their profiles.

Everyone show your support to the Devs by foregoing Starbucks (or whatever you're into) and putting some coin towards our server!

If 1/10th of everyone that played donated 3/5$ per month on auto draft when they could afford it, we would be golden:

BatchElder69
08-10-2017, 01:20 AM
Wipe it... Wipe it good...... a chance for folks to get reacquainted with each other as they adventure and seek others to group with

leato
08-10-2017, 01:28 AM
I would be totally fine with a wipe. Too many creds floating in the market anyways. It will slow down the torrent of Jedi that are about break upon Basalisks shores. It would hopefully reduce the number of the AFK farmers
with top notch 10-20mil cred weapons. Open up the chance for people other than those that are already estabilished to run a city(I have always wanted too but never been able too).
Wipes are not a terrible thing especially during large transition patches in games. Imo they breath fresh life into a game. Though a new hdd depending on size shouldnt be too expensive unless its a specialized hdd but yeah.
I wish I could donate more than my two cents but I am poor lol...

Best of luck SWGEMU Team and you will have my support and thanks no matter what happens with this situation...

~ LeAto

phennexion3
08-10-2017, 01:30 AM
Wipe! Wipe! Wipe! I wana return to SWG! I got lots of master level chars, but starting fresh would be awesome.

birdmanyo
08-10-2017, 01:34 AM
Are there any other servers to play on temporarily that have 800+ people?

StoneInc
08-10-2017, 01:37 AM
I'm ok with a cheeky wipe!

ebayne
08-10-2017, 01:37 AM
Can I get tickets to the SWGEmu Community Summit? I can always use another T-Shirt.

:icon_Protest:

drake groth
08-10-2017, 01:56 AM
It would hopefully reduce the number of the AFK farmers with top notch 10-20mil cred weapons.

You must be extremely poor if you think top notch weapons are 10-20mil.
Some people AFK farm with weapons worth 500+ mil.

hybridtheory
08-10-2017, 02:01 AM
Gotta agree with drake, 10-20mil weapons are the mid teir weapons barley better then grinding weps.

Top notch weapons go for 250million-billions from what I have seen

birdmanyo
08-10-2017, 02:03 AM
Did anybody else notice how they said "they don't even know if they will be able to move forward one way or the other"..and then later in this fourm stated if they don't have the funding then they will not continue running Basilik?

Paranormal
08-10-2017, 02:09 AM
They aren't going anywhere... There have been more donations today than half of last month... People are getting worried and starting to donate now.

drake groth
08-10-2017, 02:15 AM
if they don't have the funding then they will not continue running Basilik?

The last time they did a financial report was on 09-11-2016:
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185681&highlight=financial+report

I highly doubt there are financial problems, because if there was it would have been made known and we would have taken care of it.

palaxe
08-10-2017, 02:15 AM
'Funny I was up until 11:30 doing missions to get taming 4 which I got... lol

One thing I would like to add if I may.

There are people upset if there is a server wipe. Why I have seen nothing but people macro afk.. non stop... I don't believe in that and earned everything the right way.
I would love to see a none afk marco put in so everyone earns there xp. I have a full time job and family.. So i realize the time sink as well.

The other thing is there are so many houses.. how can 800 people on line make up for the thousand of houses sitting around?

I think a server wipe would be good just to clean up the whole place...

lavender
08-10-2017, 02:19 AM
'Funny I was up until 11:30 doing missions to get taming 4 which I got... lol

One thing I would like to add if I may.

There are people upset if there is a server wipe. Why I have seen nothing but people macro afk.. non stop... I don't believe in that and earned everything the right way.
I would love to see a none afk marco put in so everyone earns there xp. I have a full time job and family.. So i realize the time sink as well.

The other thing is there are so many houses.. how can 800 people on line make up for the thousand of houses sitting around?

I think a server wipe would be good just to clean up the whole place...

I would be okay with the wipe if they were going to cure the disease and not just the symptoms. If 10 character slots per server remain, then we'll have the same land grab of single accounts holding shuttleport cities.

JacktheGreat05
08-10-2017, 02:21 AM
I just want to take this opportunity to say "thank you" to all of the developers who have put forth the effort to work on this project for the past 10+ years. Without all of your hard work, I would have never gotten the chance to play star wars galaxies again.

Regardless of how all of this plays out in the coming weeks, I wish this project the best success possible.

I look forward to the day when the project is finally complete.

Hedge15
08-10-2017, 02:23 AM
I would be okay with the wipe if they were going to cure the disease and not just the symptoms. If 10 character slots per server remain, then we'll have the same land grab of single accounts holding shuttleport cities.
I think a rank 4 city requires 55 citizens?

egroendyk
08-10-2017, 02:38 AM
Lord, never thought I'd see such angry little armchair devs (; lmao

I agree with the basic sentiment that's been put-forward: THANK YOU for the project as it is. The fact we're even walking into Pub 9 is great. Really can't wait to see where things go from here.

I have a good feeling about this. Sometimes, flash crashes in markets are the healthiest thing that can happen; I am a firm believer in that this can be applied to most things in life. Really, I just hope for a quick fix so we can all get to the highly-anticipated Publish and really start making waves!

plainolewhitey
08-10-2017, 02:46 AM
Oh we do. That is always the highlight of any hardware failure.

Vlada haha, you crack me up.

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you volunteers who have worked so hard on the project. Hang in there. I'll all up for a wipe or whatever! Sounds like most of us are :) Glad to see most coming together and not complaining here.
If you want me to kick someone's a$$ as Softlayer (I'm assuming that's the host) It's right down the road. One of my ex-wives works there, could always make her day worse by calling her lol.

Looking forward to kicking up the dust on Tat again soon! Thank you all again for all your hard work!

Mistress Aerea
08-10-2017, 02:48 AM
I have faith that TA and the other devs will do all they can, and come to the decision that is right for the project as a whole, long term.

Recovering huge amounts of data is very important for long term stress testing, but if its gone and unrecoverable, we'll all survive and provide lots more data to test with.

birdmanyo
08-10-2017, 03:00 AM
The last time they did a financial report was on 09-11-2016:
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185681&highlight=financial+report

I highly doubt there are financial problems, because if there was it would have been made known and we would have taken care of it.

One would think they might have let us know they needed a replacement backup HD when it went out weeks ago.

Otislorx
08-10-2017, 03:07 AM
I wish you know it all jackasses would just STFU! and stop giving this team a bad time about thier situation. These people have been working thier ASSES! off to bring this back for us.
if you bann me for *** so be it but these *****s are not needed here....
I feel better.

lurch1313
08-10-2017, 03:26 AM
9 out of 10 players prefer a HDD wipe, that 10th guy is an A-Hole

Jaws
08-10-2017, 03:26 AM
One would think they might have let us know they needed a replacement backup HD when it went out weeks ago.
Why on God's green earth would they need to tell us? That's like telling your wife you're going to get gas in the car on the way home. It's not like they didn't have the money, they just didn't do it. No need to tell us one way or the other if they did or didn't.

Shadow30
08-10-2017, 03:38 AM
Erm, how?
It will take players longer to get to the village.. and complete village grind. Therefore it will take longer for any bugs to be stumbled upon, test and ironed out.
Please tell me how a wipe will benefit testing? because I don't see it.

The current state of Basilisk is completely out of sorts due to the years of farming and power creep. The Jedi class were never designed nor tweaked to survive in these conditions. The debate on the forums in this regards is pretty straight forward, the only thing a Jedi could do now is really run-in, heal, run out. You will not be able to stand toe-to-toe with any of the top tier PVP'ers from a simple equipment imbalance issue (it would be literally laughable). Suncrusher will be "prestine" similar to a wipe on Basilisk. There would be a lag phase, yes, but then you would have them existing in a world perspective against contemporaries that will have a substantively reduced power curve. Any balancing can be viewed much more clearly in this environment. In reference to your brute force testing for bugs, etc. I would agree but that's what TC Nova is for. You can simulate whatever we need there to hammer things out if we think it's really an issue. Even if this slows down suncrusher by 6 months, at least we all (Devs included) will get some insight on what that's going to look like with all classes in play. Just my thoughts.

aeclark82
08-10-2017, 03:59 AM
A server wipe.. I just got my TKM right where I wanted him. *cries* Oh well.. it'll give me a chance to explore other character types and have more adventures. Many thanks to the developers for all their hard work! Each of you do a great job! :)

SPyRAL
08-10-2017, 04:07 AM
It took a lot of pain and effort to ninja my way into that server farm and "handle" this situation. I believe some of those donations should be given to me but I will settle for a level playing field. You are all welcome!

jdi
08-10-2017, 04:21 AM

no way man. the med centers are always littered with docs as it is. so instead of having 3-5 docs buffbotting you might have 1-2. a small increase in buff wait time is a very small price to pay for the solvency of the economy which is heavily overproducing and sorely underconsuming

Kayria
08-10-2017, 04:26 AM
It does...it takes more than one person to get to a rank 4 city...been there done that have one lol

Edbacca
08-10-2017, 04:39 AM
Any progress updates on where they are on trying to recover data?

FurytheOriginal
08-10-2017, 04:41 AM
Any progress updates on where they are on trying to recover data?

Data recovery depending on the method being used can take days... getting the replacement drives is normally not same day on many servers unless you have a 4 hour onsite warranty which is highly unlikely given the situation

Be patient, I am sure they will update us as soon as a decision is made as to how to proceed

celebritah
08-10-2017, 04:48 AM
Weak. A wipe would suck.

Atrek
08-10-2017, 05:15 AM
Sorry to hear that a HDD during the merge decided to die. :(

Thank you for the heads up & information, I was wondering why the server was down.

flugel76
08-10-2017, 05:19 AM
I wish you know it all jackasses would just STFU! and stop giving this team a bad time about thier situation. These people have been working thier ASSES! off to bring this back for us.
if you bann me for *** so be it but these *****s are not needed here....
I feel better.

I just took to time to read every post in this thread, and no one is giving them a "bad time". You are projecting a false narrative. A small number of players have simply voiced their frustration, and then said "oh well, let's get back up and do it again".

The issue isn't a wipe. The vast majority of Basilisk's at the keyboard population have wanted a wipe for at least 3 years. Personally, a wipe is the only thing that would entice me back to Basilisk. As best as I can tell, the only members of this community who are currently outraged are the afk farmers and the pvpers who troll each other on Reddit all the time. No one cares about them, anyway.

You're trying to lump in the members of this community asking valid questions about why Publish 9 was pushed on the very heels a KNOWN hardware failure, followed by a catastrophic 2nd failure, into an imaginary group of players who are nerdraging about a wipe. That's not what's happening here. People are concerned (and justly so) not about the prospect of a wipe, but rather about how a server with a failsafe in place could have possibly failed in this regard, and the answering we're getting right now from devs and staff is "meh, schtick happens, what can you do? We do this for free by the way, if we haven't mentioned that in the past fifteen minutes. Honestly what's the big deal? It's just a test server". And that is really condescending and off-putting.

Personally, it all feels a little hinkey to me. The odds of TWO hard drives failing at the same time of a major publish....a publish poised to bring hundreds, if not thousands of players back to the server....are astronomical. To me, it feels more like they're wiping on purpose, but they just don't want to admit it. If that's the case, then I feel like they've really underestimated the resolve of this community (unless they care more about the reddit pvpers and afk farmers who will probably ragequit). Everyone I know who plays or who once played on Basilisk WANTS a wipe. So why the deception?

Now I could be wrong about this....I've surely been wrong before about a great many things in life.......but, I don't know man.....this just feels too much like the exact same crap Stella Bellum's devs pulled when they "launched". It's just really hard for me to believe that this team of devs and staff could be THAT careless, and then be so apathetic about it. I mean, these are pretty tech savvy guys. True, you can't anticipate a hard drive failure, but you CAN make sure that both are functioning before you roll out the publish that everyone has been waiting for. It just doesn't add up. This project gets donations, and I don't really see any sense in the world why some of those donations couldn't have been used to ensure that the hard drives were both in working order before rolling out jedi. A planned wipe smokescreened by one heck of a coincidental double hard drive failure simply makes more logical sense.

I have to echo the sentiments of others here; I don't care about a wipe, and I in fact welcome one. But what I do care about is what feels like a total lack of transparency, if not downright dishonesty. Moving forward, that's going to make a lot of members of this community give pause before donating.

hybridtheory
08-10-2017, 05:35 AM
I just took to time to read every post in this thread, and no one is giving them a "bad time". You are projecting a false narrative. A small number of players have simply voiced their frustration, and then said "oh well, let's get back up and do it again".

The issue isn't a wipe. The vast majority of Basilisk's at the keyboard population have wanted a wipe for at least 3 years. Personally, a wipe is the only thing that would entice me back to Basilisk. As best as I can tell, the only members of this community who are currently outraged are the afk farmers and the pvpers who troll each other on Reddit all the time. No one cares about them, anyway.

You're trying to lump in the members of this community asking valid questions about why Publish 9 was pushed on the very heels a KNOWN hardware failure, followed by a catastrophic 2nd failure, into an imaginary group of players who are nerdraging about a wipe. That's not what's happening here. People are concerned (and justly so) not about the prospect of a wipe, but rather about how a server with a failsafe in place could have possibly failed in this regard, and the answering we're getting right now from devs and staff is "meh, schtick happens, what can you do? We do this for free by the way, if we haven't mentioned that in the past fifteen minutes. Honestly what's the big deal? It's just a test server".

Personally, it all feels a little hinkey to me. The odds of TWO hard drives failing at the same time of a major publish....a publish poised to bring hundreds, if not thousands of players back to the server....are astronomical. To me, it feels more like they're wiping on purpose, but they just don't want to admit it. If that's the case, then I feel like they've really underestimated the resolve of this community (unless they care more about the reddit pvpers and afk farmers who will probably ragequit). Everyone I know who plays or who once played on Basilisk WANTS a wipe. So why the deception?

Now I could be wrong about this....I've surely been wrong before about a great many things in life.......but, I don't know man.....this just feels too much like the exact same crap Stella Bellum's devs pulled when they "launched". It's just really hard for me to believe that this team of devs and staff could be THAT careless, and then be so apathetic about it. I mean, these are pretty tech savvy guys. True, you can't anticipate a hard drive failure, but you CAN make sure that both are functioning before you roll out the publish that everyone has been waiting for. It just doesn't add up. This project gets donations, and I don't really see any sense in the world why some of those donations couldn't have been used to ensure that the hard drives were both in working order before rolling out jedi. A planned wipe smokescreened by one heck of a coincidental double hard drive failure simply makes more logical sense.

I have to echo the sentiments of others here; I don't care about a wipe, and I in fact welcome one. But what I do care about is what feels like a total lack of transparency, if not downright dishonesty. Moving forward, that's going to make a lot of members of this community give pause before donating.

I just think IF there is going to be a wipe they minds well address some other things too like ADK's and the amount of toons we are allowed, if not the server will be back in the same position 1 year from now, minds well make these changes to insure longevity while you have the chance! This thread here : http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706 Really does well to highlight the benifits of a wipe for testing purposes not to mention the changes would help as well!

Folky
08-10-2017, 05:36 AM
Whatever the devs decide to do I'm for, they created my playground from the ashes of sonys incompetence and I will be forever grateful for that

shadow2kx
08-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Announcing a possible wipe without knowing if it needs to be wiped seems really odd. Especially knowing how divided the community is over it, and how many years that players have been asking for it. I mean, wouldn't you want to make damn sure first before getting your community all worked up over nothing but a few days of downtime if that's all that comes of it?

This is probably how SOE *lost* their old Pre-CU code.

kalindrel
08-10-2017, 05:40 AM
TL;DR alot of stuff

Honestly, I've been a long time player and while not being able to get on to SWG (again) is giving me cold sweats, itchy skin, and shocking realizations of shirked responsibilities, I'm not going to be so judgemental of the people who have blessed our lives with the game that none of us can get away from, whether it be from the kindness of their heart or the need for space shekels. One of the devs posted stating that merely naivety is to blame here. This entire development team has been through alot, has put up with alot, and will continue forging forward no matter what. Hardware fails, Murphy's law is in full effect, and [stuff] does indeed happen.

Woha
08-10-2017, 05:48 AM
That happens when Murphy visit us. Thx @devs for hard work!

flugel76
08-10-2017, 05:50 AM
Honestly, I've been a long time player and while not being able to get on to SWG (again) is giving me cold sweats, itchy skin, and shocking realizations of shirked responsibilities, I'm not going to be so judgemental of the people who have blessed our lives with the game that none of us can get away from, whether it be from the kindness of their heart or the need for space shekels. One of the devs posted stating that merely naivety is to blame here. This entire development team has been through alot, has put up with alot, and will continue forging forward no matter what. Hardware fails, Murphy's law is in full effect, and [stuff] does indeed happen.

Yeah, yeah, their struggle is real...

And that is exactly the kind of rhetoric Stella Bellum's shills spewed right up until they found out that they had no intention of even launching a live server.

What you have to understand is that a lot of people are getting fed up with all these emu-based (and nge-based) server admins and devs lying to them all the time. And it's a little jarring to witness some pretty compelling evidence that it may be currently happening on the flagship server as well. And in my book, "blessing our lives" with a 14 year old video game doesn't give them free reign to tell porkies to the community, especially when money is involved.

Also, if you didn't even read my post (as the snarky TL;DR implies), then why are you even replying to it?

geekboy1138
08-10-2017, 05:50 AM
Whatever the devs decide to do I'm for, they created my playground from the ashes of sonys incompetence and I will be forever grateful for that

All this right here

KezJona89
08-10-2017, 07:50 AM
I've been around for a number of years seeing how the project is coming a long with occasional binges of play.

I -personally- think a wipe will be good for the community. Only for the reason of evening out the economy again and getting rid of so many abandoned houses and cities. Before Pub9 I was so concentrated on being a Jedi I think I pushed myself to not enjoy the game, but now I've had a break I'm not that bothered about Jedi anymore. So wipe for me would be good :)

But whatever route the developers decide to go down we just have to give them our support and stop the bickering that takes place because they do this in their free time to provide us the nostalgia we all get from this game.

DDSilver
08-10-2017, 07:54 AM
I just think IF there is going to be a wipe they minds well address some other things too like ADK's and the amount of toons we are allowed, if not the server will be back in the same position 1 year from now, minds well make these changes to insure longevity while you have the chance! This thread here : http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706 Really does well to highlight the benifits of a wipe for testing purposes not to mention the changes would help as well!

I think you are far too optimistic in that thread.
While it most certainly can be the case that people will actually play the niches, there is at least an equal chance that people will revert to cookie cutter templates without the room for experimentation.
And lets be honest, I played from start till a little over NGE, and not once did I think to myself : "I really wish we had those carbineer debuffs right about now". Did you? Those things are not needed. They are nice to have, but most certainly not needed.

It is a real challenge for Basilisk and its Devs. The target audience is different from what it was during the launch of the game and there is a fair chance that decisions that worked 13 years ago on a playerbase of several hundreds of thousands of people are not the best choice today.
In fact, some of those choices did not work back then, considering the fact that virtually every 'dedicated' crafter or support character I knew was running at least 2 accounts.

This games player (or really character) driven economy needs a certain critical mass to be viable.
And that is why this possible wipe has me a bit worried. If too many people quit over this, we might have difficulty reaching that.

Luckily most people here, including myself, do not seem to be too upset about this situation.

GiStaak
08-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Announcing a possible wipe without knowing if it needs to be wiped seems really odd. Especially knowing how divided the community is over it, and how many years that players have been asking for it. I mean, wouldn't you want to make damn sure first before getting your community all worked up over nothing but a few days of downtime if that's all that comes of it?

This is probably how SOE *lost* their old Pre-CU code.

The community is not divided though - a quick read through the responses on this thread show the overwhelming majority of people are in favour of a wipe and those whining about it have forum accounts with sign ups from a week ago or are posting for the first time in this thread.

klink01
08-10-2017, 08:11 AM
In fact, some of those choices did not work back then, considering the fact that virtually every 'dedicated' crafter or support character I knew was running at least 2 accounts.

Yup, my main on the SOE server was dedicated crafter. I had 2 accounts. hell there was a guy in my guild that was paying 165 bucks a month to have 11 accounts. Mostly for AFK sampling.

wrrlykam
08-10-2017, 08:11 AM
That happens when Murphy visit us. Thx @devs for hard work!

As long as he doesn't bring Aunt Irma with him we'll be fine.

timberwolf587
08-10-2017, 08:13 AM
The community is not divided though - a quick read through the responses on this thread show the overwhelming majority of people are in favour of a wipe and those whining about it have forum accounts with sign ups from a week ago or are posting for the first time in this thread.

The people posting in this thread do not represent the community as a whole. Hell, a number of the posters here mention that they don't even play anymore.

greyjedi717
08-10-2017, 08:28 AM
A fresh start sounds awesome, but I'll be happy with whatever happens. No wipe = I can get back to grinding my characters and work towards Jedi. Wipe = we hit the ground running and everyone starts anew.

GiStaak
08-10-2017, 08:44 AM
The people posting in this thread do not represent the community as a whole. Hell, a number of the posters here mention that they don't even play anymore.

And a lot who aren't playing state their intention to come back if a wipe does occur. Hell the most excitement we've had about SWGEmu over on Something Awful is because people are talking about playing again if there is a wipe.

lavender
08-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Something Awful people are talking about playing again if there is a wipe.
I'm now against the wipe.

shirotosan
08-10-2017, 08:49 AM
My characters are wiped clean off my list. Is the wipe in progress?

Vlada
08-10-2017, 09:05 AM
My characters are wiped clean off my list. Is the wipe in progress?

Attempts to recover the data are in progress, we will only consider wiping the db if those fail.

lavender
08-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Attempts to recover the data are in progress, we will only consider wiping the db if those fail.
Probably a useless question at this point, but is there any indication what length the rollback would be if it can't be pretty much up to around the time Basilisk was last up?

Psykikk
08-10-2017, 09:15 AM
the company I work for specializes in High availability server and IT infrastructure proects.
REAL Data High Availability Solutions and Servers cost a **** ton.
admitted, the chance of integral failure of redundant hardware is slim, but nevertheless it is there.

me personally will donate now.
once the server comes back to life, I will donate again.

and also: I WOULD LOVE A WIPE, plus reduction of max chars (3 or 4) and reduction of online toons (1) would be a blessing.
right now we have :Deserted towns, vendors without wares, and almost no chance for nooby chars to find a niche. there´s no way to make money other than to farm missions because
there´s no need for low end / midgrade stuff those noobs / mid grade chars built / produce because almost everyone is already settled. the most fresh toons are alts from veterans.

Vlada
08-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Probably a useless question at this point, but is there any indication what length the rollback would be if it can't be pretty much up to around the time Basilisk was last up?

No clue yet. Sorry.

eladi
08-10-2017, 09:23 AM
IF this was a comunity vote, (and its not) I would vote for a wipe and reduction of max characters. max 3, max 2 online.
Anyhow..bin here for a long time, and will probably stay for a decade more to come.

Leylyah
08-10-2017, 10:00 AM
I'm glad they told us there was a problem. "We could be wiped." Okay, so be it. " It could be fixed, but could take a some time." Okay, so be it. I'm not mad, bad unexpected stuff happens.
Murphy's Law is always in motion. However, if I'd arrived in game with no characters, the server wiped, I'd be furious they'd not told us ahead of time. I suspect a lot of current outraged
players would have moved on. Because we were told, we're being more tolerant, most of us will stay and begin again. That's part of the fun of Star Wars Galaxies. The hustle and bustle of
scrambling to get resources, moaning "Oh no, I missed that good resource I needed,"....on and on.

Developers and crew, thanks for informing us about server situation with Publish 9. Thank you crew for bringing back the best game out there in the form we liked best, Pre-Cu.

Swilliams
08-10-2017, 10:10 AM

I wouldnt say whining, just surprised and curious if wipes are a frequent occurrence and I have been informed that it is very very rare. :)

Wipe or no Wipe im looking forward to playing this game again.

Miztah
08-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Quick update for everyone since I know everyone is waiting patiently... recovery attempts are still continuing, we aren't giving up yet. We've had some success with some of the smaller database files, but the largest and most important database is just over 300gb in size and it's giving us the most trouble. The file size means each recovery attempt we run can take at least 5-10 hours depending on the type of recovery we're running, so it's largely a waiting game each attempt. We'll update further once we've got something new to share. Thanks for the patience everyone.

weberk
08-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Quick update for everyone since I know everyone is waiting patiently... recovery attempts are still continuing, we aren't giving up yet. We've had some success with some of the smaller database files, but the largest and most important database is just over 300gb in size and it's giving us the most trouble. The file size means each recovery attempt we run can take at least 5-10 hours depending on the type of recovery we're running, so it's largely a waiting game each attempt. We'll update further once we've got something new to share. Thanks for the patience everyone.You and all the team rock!

hybridtheory
08-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Quick update for everyone since I know everyone is waiting patiently... recovery attempts are still continuing, we aren't giving up yet. We've had some success with some of the smaller database files, but the largest and most important database is just over 300gb in size and it's giving us the most trouble. The file size means each recovery attempt we run can take at least 5-10 hours depending on the type of recovery we're running, so it's largely a waiting game each attempt. We'll update further once we've got something new to share. Thanks for the patience everyone.

If you can only manage to get 2 toons per account back and none of the adk's or character data thats ok we will forgive you

Vikko
08-10-2017, 10:28 AM
My take on this is that Basilisk is a test server. Although we are all playing on it like it was a regular server, it isn't. Its available so that we can test things and get the best
working version of the code possible. I am very very thankful to the folks working on this project for bringing back a game I love intensely.

Its frustrating to think that I might lose all the characters I have built up, the progress they have made and might have to restart the projects I was engaged in from scratch,
lose a lot of things I had build up in my inventory, but I knew that day would come at some point with Suncrusher in the future, so if they are unable to restore the data,
and have to do a wipe, I will deal with it.

In some ways a wipe is a good thing, in others not. If they wipe and come back up with a smaller limit on characters, say 3 per account, or perhaps 4, then the economy
will benefit considerably. People will be forced to interact the way the game was designed to work, and I suspect a lot of people might return because of it. If they bring it
back up with the same 10 character limit then I think we will see the same problems reoccur that we had until it went down. I think that would be a mistake, as much as I
would miss some of the characters I have created and would be unable to recreate.

Psykikk
08-10-2017, 10:33 AM
geeze. a 300GB database for such a small player base. :-) a wipe would be a blessing.
i bet we would see some kind of performance improvements...
most of the data in the DB is probably dead data anyways

hybridtheory
08-10-2017, 10:45 AM
My take on this is that Basilisk is a test server. Although we are all playing on it like it was a regular server, it isn't. Its available so that we can test things and get the best
working version of the code possible. I am very very thankful to the folks working on this project for bringing back a game I love intensely.

Its frustrating to think that I might lose all the characters I have built up, the progress they have made and might have to restart the projects I was engaged in from scratch,
lose a lot of things I had build up in my inventory, but I knew that day would come at some point with Suncrusher in the future, so if they are unable to restore the data,

In some ways a wipe is a good thing, in others not. If they wipe and come back up with a smaller limit on characters, say 3 per account, or perhaps 4, then the economy
will benefit considerably. People will be forced to interact the way the game was designed to work, and I suspect a lot of people might return because of it. If they bring it
back up with the same 10 character limit then I think we will see the same problems reoccur that we had until it went down. I think that would be a mistake, as much as I
would miss some of the characters I have created and would be unable to recreate.

I know the pain I have exceptional thats adk'd full suits of ris, psg's, back packs full of factor crates of all different foods, just got done getting a shuttleport down in my city on naboo, which has taken about 6months total to get sense we placed the city, but its all for the better! http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706 really puts it into perspective its a shame the admins wouldn't give it the time of day.

DagDI
08-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Id love to start again on a fresh server, it would feel like being back in the best days of SWG and well worth losing everything for!

KezJona89
08-10-2017, 10:53 AM

Literally the best post I've read so far.
I agree with the 3 or 4 characters per account for the economy purposes and to play the game the way it was designed. But I think we'll realistically still have the 10 toons per account rule applied even if there is a wipe on the server. I can only juggle 2 with the lack of time I can get to play, so it wouldn't effect me at all. But it'll make people think before making big changes or plans with their characters.

Vikko
08-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I had 10 characters, not only because it helped me with playing the game and I could be more independent, but because I wanted to do as much testing as possible.
However, realistically, you can't play that many characters and do adequate testing on their professions all that effectively. Lowering the number of character slots by
half or more wouldn't really reduce the amount of testing being done in my opinion, it would mean that each character played gets more time in play and can thus be more
useful as a test. Although lots of us are not really testing anything, we are just playing, some of us are finding bugs and making reports to get them fixed down the road.
The more of that which goes on the better. I know for some people reporting a bug that is useful to them is completely anathema - the only mantra of
"Exploit early, exploit often" rather than reporting is probably the way some people view things. I remember the credit and item duping bugs we had at release on Live.
I found at least one of them and rather than using it, reported it and it was fixed. As much as I enjoy playing the game immensely, I am here to try to get it remade properly,
not seek some advantage in a virtual world.

I think the original 1 character per server is unreasonable here, because we don't have multiple Basilisk servers to choose from. 2 characters isn't quite enough either, so
I would like to see 4 characters per server, with a limit of 2 online at a time. This would still force me to make choices but give me the option to play a variety of characters
and professions. To me the greatest joy of this game is the community it creates, I think that will be necessarily strengthened by reducing the number of characters per server,
and I doubt that the quality of testing will actually suffer all that much.

Jaws
08-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the update Miztah (and Vlada before him).

Anybody else notice the client is now listing Basilisk as "loading"? [7:38am est]