PDA

View Full Version : Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

waynea
08-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Because we had 10 chars, I screwed around and tested a lot of things I normally wouldn't touch. I rolled a master CH. I rolled a BE Smuggler. I tested the speed of pets. I tested the BE crafting of pets. I tested mask scent and feign death. All things that were changed over the last couple of publishes. Gave feedback that the devs would not have otherwise gotten had I been limited to two chars. Because with two chars, I'd play only what I enjoy, not what needed to be tested and fixed.

Look, I get it. The economy is messed up because of 10 chars. I hate that. It's why I only log onto Bas to test things, and generally play on private servers these days. So on one hand, I'd love a wipe, as I'd come back.

But on the other hand...two chars. I'd have a PvE toon, and a PvP toon. And they wouldn't be testing much of anything. That's just the truth, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You are better fit for nova 99.9% players are not like you you should make nova your home

rambo1990
08-11-2017, 01:56 PM
i would totally come back after a wipe. two character minimum has been a debate since i can remember joining these forums. 2 - 3 toon limit would benefit the server greatly, but people will work around it if they really want more.

waynea
08-11-2017, 02:11 PM
well if stress testing the server is the goal then they should let us have 2 afk toons and 2 active ones. by making it so no one can AFK buff for instance then no one can really do anything unless there is an active doctor on line or a entertainer.
if you think someone is going to at the keys a dancer all day your high. speak for yourself there's alot of players that love doing it for the social aspect. IN live on my server kit they grouped and charged and split the money and had fun socializing all day

ebayne
08-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Yes, we know. But the more players you have, the more things get tested...whether they intend to be doing it or not. Because testing isn't strictly about QA sessions, it includes playtesting. Controlled testing only reveals so much. It's why beta tests of almost every game exists these days, so that many more things get randomly tested. So that players can "play", and randomly stumble across things that nobody would ever think of sitting down to test.

It's why game developers actively encourage more people to just sit down and play. They may give them a list of things that players should actively seek out to test. But they also encourage them to just run around and have fun, knowing that these players will do things the devs never thought would happen and could reveal game breaking issues prior to launch.

Perhaps the SWGEMU devs could learn a thing or two from the way actual paid developers run their alpha/beta testing phases. I mean, we've heard many times, SWGEMU just volunteers, right? Perhaps there's something to be learned from the professionals in this case.

If the devs are dissatisfied with the amount of data they are collecting, or the number of sessions required to get it, or the number of days it takes to get a given amount of that data from those sessions, and they believe that a more realistic economy or interdependence dynamic will address that dissatisfaction, then I say go for it. But the subjective experience of users still isn't the goal, it is a means to an end. I haven't seen any indication that they are underwhelmed by the amount of data they are collecting or the time it takes to get it; I don't speak for them, just to my own observation.

waynea
08-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Why doesn't everyone who wants the character limit set to two characters just delete their other eight? The answer is basically the same. You want to play the game you remember, but at the same time, you want to compete. SWG is as much about social interaction as it is competition. Nova has none of that.

And no, Hadvar was going to cut my head off. Screw that guy.

I think most of the people on bas has no idea of what nova is about. At one point we only had nova. I Built and maintained a city through 3 wipes. Most all players lived in my city. We had fun. Devs would spawn NS, Gorax etc in the city occasionally. we crafted we competed. Ivojedi loaded in, his first time playing and walked to my city and gave me a hacked crystal. nova iS no difrent than bas. You can go there and do the same thing with an effort. But lets get 2 chars on bas now. NOVA is a place to where you can play your style what ever it is. We had med center cantina combat every thing that bas has

ginsu
08-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Anyone who wants a wipe is broke...and guess what...give it a year and you'll be in the same situation. I'd want a wipe too if I were broke and bad at this game.

I don't agree with that. It seems more like lots of ppl think the economy is broken, due to the fact that players have to many toons and dont need to relly on other players for nothing.

Ivojedi
08-11-2017, 02:41 PM
I think most of the people on bas has no idea of what nova is about. At one point we only had nova. I Built and maintained a city through 3 wipes. Most all players lived in my city. We had fun. Devs would spawn NS, Gorax etc in the city occasionally. we crafted we competed. Ivojedi loaded in, his first time playing and walked to my city and gave me a hacked crystal. nova iS no difrent than bas. You can go there and do the same thing with an effort. But lets get 2 chars on bas now. NOVA is a place to where you can play your style what ever it is. We had med center cantina combat every thing that bas has

I'm baffled by this. I wasn't even around when we only had Nova.

ebayne
08-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Hey hey, how's things?

You're right - the object of the server is testing new code in prep for 1.0... for that reason (and others) I really hope no wipe happens.

There has to be a balance struck though, as the sheer timescales involved mean you need to retain a fair degree of goodwill from the community. Dogmatic pursuit of project goals needs to be tempered by the need to make the testing enjoyable or you risk toiling over lines of code for many many years and end up with a very empty Suncrusher server in 202x.

I personally think the balance is struck pretty well most of the time by the way...

Hey man, long time no see.

I get your point about Suncrusher, but I get the sense that "toiling over lines of code for many many years" is kind of the point for the devs now. It may have started as a love song to a dead game, but now it's just the Matrix. Most don't and won't play the game for fun. 1.0 will undoubtedly give them a sense of satisfaction, but I imagine my satisfaction, or yours, or any user's, will be a small fraction of theirs. In short, I think most of them would be perfectly happy to have thrown the Suncrusher party even if no one came.

That those of us on the client side of the project get a fair approximation of a game we loved as a by-product is a bonus. We're here to serve their purposes; any expectation or belief that the reverse is true just leads to frustration.

rwp389
08-11-2017, 02:46 PM
I'm baffled by this. I wasn't even around when we only had Nova.
If i remember correctly, which i may not, there was at one point only 1 server up. It may not have been called nova, but it was a test server type. We couldn't do anything except run around theed and fly tie fighters sub orbit. The SWGemu team has made an amazing amount of progress. I am very happy that this game is being revived and will be playing for the rest of my years most likely.

dannuic
08-11-2017, 02:49 PM
There was a point where we only had Nova. That was back when cRush and kyle were around, before ivo.

There was also a server called Liberator sometime just before the OR hit.

rwp389
08-11-2017, 02:51 PM
There was a point where we only had Nova. That was back when cRush and kyle were around, before ivo.

I remember hearing about the project and sitting in ****** World with the family. I was signed up before the night end and about died when i got all of the installs correct and loaded into theed. Glorious times.

ebayne
08-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Liberator, home of the swimming mobs and players standing around Theed trying to remember how to move.

Vlada
08-11-2017, 02:55 PM
If i remember correctly, which i may not, there was at one point only 1 server up. It may not have been called nova, but it was a test server type. We couldn't do anything except run around theed and fly tie fighters sub orbit. The SWGemu team has made an amazing amount of progress. I am very happy that this game is being revived and will be playing for the rest of my years most likely.

First we had row of trainers in Anchorhead and that was about it for months, after that we had Theed days, then object restructure started and Nova was turned into a play server. When OR code needed testing Nova became a test server again and Liberator was launched. When OR was "ready" for mass testing, Liberator was st down and we launched Basilisk.

rwp389
08-11-2017, 03:09 PM
First we had row of trainers in Anchorhead and that was about it for months, after that we had Theed days, then object restructure started and Nova was turned into a play server. When OR code needed testing Nova became a test server again and Liberator was launched. When OR was "ready" for mass testing, Liberator was st down and we launched Basilisk.
Vaguely remember anchor-head, but again it was a long time ago. Good times for sure!

Vlada
08-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Vaguely remember anchor-head, but again it was a long time ago. Good times for sure!

More than a decade ago.

Evil Cyborg 10
08-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Jeez I remember that, we've come a long way since then.

waynea
08-11-2017, 03:22 PM
I started playing when basickly all we did was duel in theed Dath was about the only other place we could go and we looted crazy dotted weapons

Farsun
08-11-2017, 03:22 PM
More than a decade ago.

Wow. Wow. That made me feel old.

Scurby
08-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Some fabrication; some truth...

Cool srory tho.

waynea
08-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Some fabrication; some truth...

Cool srory tho.

Could you elaborate on the fabrication please

waynea
08-11-2017, 03:40 PM
so you are calling it fabrication because i made a mistake on the server name at that time and because he dont remember it may have been liberator and the city was either world trade or New hope on Naboo

rwp389
08-11-2017, 03:48 PM
so you are calling it fabrication because i made a mistake on the server name at that time and because he dont remember it may have been liberator and the city was either world trade or New hope on Naboo
Relax, a community is a community, until we pick each other apart. Changing the direction of conversation is the best way to avoid conflict. Peace and Prosperity.

DaloLorn
08-11-2017, 03:53 PM
when i read that 10 toons helps "testing" it ust cracks me up. I bet most of the people with that many toons are just too impatient to wait on others to help them out.

I'll take that bet. Go on, try mastering a crafting profession and getting high-grade resources, crafting SEAs and everything - and do it faster than an established crafter can give you whatever it is you wanted to craft. That ought to keep you occupied for a while.

Heck, I'll make it easy on you and let you pick a server that isn't emulating the exact level of grinding required to master a crafting profession.

For reference, my own experiences as a crafter:

- Got one of my 8 characters on Basilisk partway through Doctor across the span of two years (I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere). That character happened to be as close to a full template as any of them ever got, and between my insistence on not using factories and my lack of quality resources, he couldn't possibly have competed with a dedicated doctor.

- Mastered Droid Engineer and Medic (no doctors this time, though - my precious few character slots were otherwise occupied) on Empire in Flames within the server's first month. The reduced XP requirements and the fact that I didn't have to go through Artisan first sped things up quite a bit, as did the fact that I actually felt like finishing my templates for once. On the other hand, the fact that I had to harvest a good chunk of my resources myself slowed me down; with sufficient funding, I'd estimate it would now take me a week or two. (Good luck getting the existing crafters to part with their stockpiles of high-grade resources like Figaate, Fesi or Efuunine, though - we had some great luck with the resource spawns early on.)

- Currently in the last stages of mastering Structures Trader on ******* so that I can RE my own ship parts - not to mention the fact that starship equipment on that server is obscenely expensive. (Which may be related to the fact that everything on that server, most importantly resources, is obscenely expensive.)

Shroudedpast
08-11-2017, 04:01 PM
I started playing during the Theed trainer lineup thing, watching Gm's spawn in Darth vader in a shuttle to punish the rebel scum was amazing :D

waynea
08-11-2017, 04:05 PM
My point in the above post is you people that want 10 chars can go live on nova for the purpose of testing and basically do the same exact thing as here create you a city gather players create 10 chars and test every thing you want to test. testing is not nessaerly searching for bugs on your end its you doing what you enjoy doing. if you do stumble on a bug report it but just have fun. I thought i designed the above to enlighten ppl that dont understand nova . I personally dont care if we wipe or change char limit. The post was not about me fabricating or a misspelled word or a un doted eye

masrao
08-11-2017, 04:05 PM
I keep seeing a lot of junk about economies and interdependence.

That would mean a lot more if this were a game.

It isn't.

As others have pointed out, this is development exercise disguised as a game, destined to be wiped sooner or later. More knowledgeable folks than me have explained why a wipe isn't Plan A, but it has nothing to do with whether or not people want to buy stuff from other people. Nor is it about preserving (or for that matter, destroying) the status quo for the benefit or convenience of us stress-testers. As far as I know, the "economy" isn't being stress tested. Don't bother arguing that crafting would be tested more thoroughly if there was more of a profit motive, that's magical thinking.

When the project becomes a game, intended to persist and please a community of players instead of testers, then we can get all hot and sweaty about interdependence, and the economy, and all those other meta-games.

In short, the problem isn't implementation, it's a problem of expectations.

Exactly. It's not a game, it's a test. A wipe now, right when jedi was apparently going in just means that the whole testing process will take that much longer. I was going to say a lot more but why bother. The unreasonable aren't going to pay attention anyway. lol

nee2earth
08-11-2017, 04:12 PM
It's why game developers actively encourage more people to just sit down and play.

They may give them a list of things that players should actively seek out to test. But they also encourage them to just run around and have fun, .

We do both methods yep. Just yesterday alone, with at one point having over 150 players logged into TCNova at once (we usually average 10-20) , most of whom had never even been on Nova before much less interacted with us before and therefore had varying degrees of 'orange-hawtpants tightness (http://www.swgemu.com/archive/scrapbookv51/data/20070320112517/)' , we were able to uncover 4 new bugs & an exploit.

Yet another example of why I wouldn't trade our wacky Community for any other in the Galaxy.
-----

Perhaps the SWGEMU devs could learn a thing or two from the way actual paid developers run their alpha/beta testing phases.

Of course, but sometimes it's more important to learn what not to do. :puke:SOE

-----------

ahhh the good ole days of targettable lairs 120m high up in the air , jedi 'rumors', and when you had to write a /pause 1 walk macro just to be able to move :mrgreen:

Fissile
08-11-2017, 04:15 PM
users still allowed post in here? trawling thru the posts to see if anything useful is quite a PITA.

+1

bigevil
08-11-2017, 04:15 PM
users still allowed post in here? trawling thru the posts to see if anything useful is quite a PITA.

+1

LOL I liked your suggestion. :p

masrao
08-11-2017, 04:17 PM

+1

You realize they are updating the first post with the latest information, right?

waynea
08-11-2017, 04:18 PM
We do both methods yep. Just yesterday alone, with at one point having over 150 players logged into TCNova at once (we usually average 10-20) , most of whom had never even been on Nova before much less interacted with us before and therefore had varying degrees of 'orange-hawtpants tightness (http://www.swgemu.com/archive/scrapbookv51/data/20070320112517/)' , we were able to uncover 4 new bugs & an exploit.

Yet another example of why I wouldn't trade our wacky Community for any other in the Galaxy.
-----

Of course, but sometimes it's more important to learn what not to do. :puke:SOE

-----------

ahhh the good ole days of targettable lairs 120m high up in the air , jedi 'rumors', and when you had to write a /pause 1 walk macro just to be able to move :mrgreen:

Get on your swoop travel 100 meters rubber band back 75 meters. 3 minits to create a synthetic cloth

Fissile
08-11-2017, 04:26 PM
You realize they are updating the first post with the latest information, right?

:O

darn....

Matt Treck
08-11-2017, 04:36 PM

But that doesn't include all of the wonderful messages from Vlada. :)

sportkid0606
08-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Is it possible to keep everyone updated with the status each day?

waynea
08-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Is it possible to keep everyone updated with the status each day?

As far as i know the status updates are on the home page of the forum in green letters other than that vlada posts in here

bigevil
08-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Indeed. When best possible info warrants. Lets be patient. :)

masrao
08-11-2017, 05:25 PM
But that doesn't include all of the wonderful messages from Vlada. :)

Very true. Those are the best part of the whole thread anyway. :)

waynea
08-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Very true. Those are the best part of the whole thread anyway. :)

But he dont like compliments send him some cash or a present and he might allow you to buy him a drink

wren
08-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Some of these guys are having trouble reading the words, they don't do too good at the readin" but I can tell you are obviously above that and will come around to our 2 toon ideology and help spread the word!

Obviously players on the EMU are for more advanced then live players in terms of Knowledge, please come back with at least a good argument!

Insulting people is no way to promote a discussion or persuade people to your line of thinking. Its a great way to make enemies and people dislike you and stop listening to anything you have to say. Stop that. I for one will never take you seriously if you continue to treat people that way and if these forums have the ability to block messages from certain users. You will be my first addition to that block list.

I think with such a small server 2 characters is not enough to promote the gathering and crafting economy. Many of you say oh its so broken. Apparently you don't remember live when desirable resources sold for 100 to 500 per unit and a decent cheap crates of brandy were a 100k or more.

As far as I can tell, especially with the uptick to 100 or so connections on Nova, there is zero point in changing the toon count policy right now, even if there is a wipe. It will not encourage database bloat to limit the number of toons and characters that people have available to them so that those problems can be addressed and solved before the final wipe. The active player base is simply not there to build up database bloat with only 2 characters a per account.

While I don't know the details of the problems the Emu team is trying to solve with the Db, I do know a few things about development and hardware. SSD's wear over time and their capacity shrinks naturally until they fail completely. Data constantly moves around on SSD's due to a built feature called wear leveling. SO, you could have a 400GB SSD, and after a year that SSD dependent on use and workflow may only be 300GB due to wear and tear. This server afaik is many years old. If those 400GB SSD's are that old and supporting a 300GB Db, that wearing and loss of drive space is likely what caused the failure and was a valuable test and lesson learned for the team running Basilisk. I'd say this is very educational for them. If that's not what happened, its still been a very educational lesson learned.

Personally, I prefer dealing with those bots, over players for buffs. I don't need every interaction to be a chance to chat with someone, but I do need buffs to go grind out certain types of XP. Changing rules to reduce stress on the system, reduce afk bots, and encourage more real players with less toons logged in does not make for a stronger and more resilient server when the Emu team finally makes it to a live release. You want that bloat, and load, and stress, because that's where in my experience as a developer the interesting bugs and design flaws start showing themselves. If players can't provide that and they have had years to come back then let let there be bots and multiple logins and more than 2 toons per account.

Belmen
08-11-2017, 06:33 PM
Lol we need the server, as before or wiped, people are clearly bored.

nee2earth
08-11-2017, 06:41 PM
, people are clearly bored.

TCNova is up & running and someone even created a 'GenChat' channel to join.

Come join the fun... :gun8:

chen-
08-11-2017, 07:00 PM
TCNova is up & running and someone even created a 'GenChat' channel to join.

Come join the fun... :gun8:

yep, had more fun there the last 2 days than ive had on bas in months.

and i submitted a mantis ticket on a bug :D

sportkid0606
08-11-2017, 07:08 PM
As far as i know the status updates are on the home page of the forum in green letters other than that vlada posts in here

Ah I see. I have been checking throughout the day for the home page updates.

Scrapster
08-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Exactly. It's not a game, it's a test. A wipe now, right when jedi was apparently going in just means that the whole testing process will take that much longer. I was going to say a lot more but why bother. The unreasonable aren't going to pay attention anyway. lol

This guy gets it.

Not that it could even happen but in my perfect world there would be no wipe and everyone would have to choose just ONE of their toons; and only play with that.

Dainamas
08-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Ouch, this seems to be a serious problem. The Force was too strong for the SSDs. Thanks, good luck and courage to the team working on this.

Swilliams
08-11-2017, 07:46 PM
speak for yourself there's alot of players that love doing it for the social aspect. IN live on my server kit they grouped and charged and split the money and had fun socializing all day
I remember those days, there was a group of 5 that had ent bots spread out trying to cover the entire cantina floor with bubbles. Cantinas were so much more lively back on live.

DDSilver
08-11-2017, 08:04 PM
This guy gets it.

Not that it could even happen but in my perfect world there would be no wipe and everyone would have to choose just ONE of their toons; and only play with that.

In that perfect world of yours, how long did it take for the entire game economy to collapse?
Because in the real world I'd give it a few months before current stock runs out, and chances are pretty decent that the amount of people that chose their crafters as that ONE toon will not be enough to get it back up.
Perhaps a few will! But in the end many will grow bored of doing nothing else and they will change profession or leave all together.

I'm getting the sneaky suspicion that the division between people that want 1 or 2 characters and those that want more is the division between consumers and producers.

Scrapster
08-11-2017, 08:05 PM
I remember those days, there was a group of 5 that had ent bots spread out trying to cover the entire cantina floor with bubbles. Cantinas were so much more lively back on live.

Yup. Those who say no-one would ATK an Ent full time presumably never played live.

Scrapster
08-11-2017, 08:08 PM
In that perfect world of yours, how long did it take for the entire game economy to collapse?
Because in the real world I'd give it a few months before current stock runs out, and chances are pretty decent that the amount of people that chose their crafters as that ONE toon will not be enough to get it back up.
Perhaps a few will! But in the end many will grow bored of doing nothing else and they will change profession or leave all together.

I'm getting the sneaky suspicion that the division between people that want 1 or 2 characters and those that want more is the division between consumers and producers.

People on live didn't grow bored of it. If people stop crafting others will see their chance and change to fill the niche. That's the beauty of limiting characters to one, or begrudgingly.. 2.

Which brings me back to:

Yup. Those who say no-one would ATK an Ent full time presumably never played live.

jharmison
08-11-2017, 08:20 PM

If you have *nix (or whatever generic access to something BASH-like), you could install an MTA and do this:

while : ; do
if [ $(wget -O - http://www.swgemu.com/status/basilisk.xml 2>/dev/null | xpath -e '//status/text()' 2>/dev/null | grep -o 'up') ]; then
message=$(echo -e "Server is showing it's up now.\nCheck http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198679 to confirm.\nThis message generated: $(date)")
echo "$message" | mail -s "Server's up!" you@youraddress.com
break
fi
sleep 60
done

Edit: inb4 someone says to use printf instead of echo

DDSilver
08-11-2017, 08:22 PM
People on live didn't grow bored of it. If people stop crafting others will see their chance and change to fill the niche. That's the beauty of limiting characters to one, or begrudgingly.. 2.

Which brings me back to:

And that tells me that you were likely not a crafter on live.

Every high-end, dedicated crafter I knew on my server had at least 2 accounts. Paying double the monthly charge, everything.
Heck, I moved last year and I found 3 sealed copies of Jump to lightspeed!
Good times.

I had a Architect/Armorsmith/Merchant on live. And if that was the only character I had, I would not remember it so fondly.

Avelek
08-11-2017, 08:32 PM

I played live from start to finish, an extraordinarily small amount of people would play an ATK entertainer if a character limit of two was established on this server. To suggest anything otherwise is delusional. 99% of the entertainers were AFK precu too, and I didn't know one person playing an entertainer that didn't have a secondary account.

There wasn't enough of a reason then to play entertainer. There still isn't now, and there are significantly less people playing. An argument can be made for it for Suncrusher, but for the purpose of Basilisk, anyone suggesting a character limit of two simply doesn't understand what they are trying to accomplish here.

Scrapster
08-11-2017, 08:33 PM

Every high-end, dedicated crafter I knew on my server had at least 2 accounts. Paying double the monthly charge, everything.
Good times.

I had a Architect/Armorsmith/Merchant on live. And if that was the only character I had, I would not remember it so fondly.

I was for a long time someone who couldn't decide on a profession. On live I played literally all of the combat professions for a short time each. I played Tailor and Image Designer but none of the other crafters. Did scout, ranger and CH (never bothered with SL). In the end I had more fun playing Dancer than anything else, and I still was when the CU hit. Not sure if that adds to this exchange.. Think I'm just rambling and reminiscing now...

ebayne
08-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Good times.

I had 7 accounts and I STILL wasn't completely independent. I relied on crafters better than me for much of my stuff, and just enjoyed dinking around making stuff that was 90% of SB to sell to folks who didn't want to pay for 100%.

Leylyah
08-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Folks are getting bored? Heh, yes. Real Life chores take over, take out the trash and make sure that rattling screen is tightened down before you rip it out of the wall, etc.

DDSilver
08-11-2017, 08:47 PM
I was for a long time someone who couldn't decide on a profession. On live I played literally all of the combat professions for a short time each. I played Tailor and Image Designer but none of the other crafters. Did scout, ranger and CH (never bothered with SL). In the end I had more fun playing Dancer than anything else, and I still was when the CU hit. Not sure if that adds to this exchange.. Think I'm just rambling and reminiscing now...

I can relate...
It was quite a game was it not?

spiceymeme
08-11-2017, 08:47 PM
If you have *nix (or whatever generic access to something BASH-like), you could install an MTA and do this:

Made a little powershell script for people who don't have a Linux box -

$sound = new-Object System.Media.SoundPlayer;
$webclient = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
$webClient.DownloadFile("http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2017-07-30_6786517629734627/movies/star_wars/chewy.wav", "$pwd\upsound.wav")
$sound.SoundLocation="$pwd\upsound.wav";

while ($true) {
$url = "http://www.swgemu.com/status/basilisk.xml"
$contents = $webclient.DownloadString($url)
$down = Select-String -Pattern "<status>down" -InputObject $contents
$up = Select-String -Pattern "<status>up" -InputObject $contents
$locked = Select-String -Pattern "<status>lock" -InputObject $contents

if ($up.length -gt 0) {
Write-Host("The server is UP!")
$sound.Play();
}
if ($down.length -gt 0) {
Write-Host("The server is still down.")
}
if ($locked.length -gt 0) {
Write-Host("The server is LOCKED, interesting...")
}
Start-Sleep -s 30
}

Downloads a chewy wav file, then checks every 30 seconds to see if it's up, down, or locked. If it's up it'll play the chewy sound (every 30 seconds). If you hit ctrl+c it'll end it.

To use this just copy (ctrl+c) the code and open notepad. Paste it into notepad, then save that as "CheckSwg.ps1" (without the quotes) - you should save it to your documents or something. Can't just upload it somewhere for download, Windows will understandably complain if you download a powershell script and try to run it. Obviously run at your own risk, but you can clearly read what it's doing there.

Then browse to wherever you saved it (preferably your Documents) and right click it, and click "Run With Powershell" and a window will open and start checking every 30 seconds.

Edit: fixed a bug

mdfrage
08-11-2017, 09:08 PM
there a newish update on what is going on yet?

Scrapster
08-11-2017, 09:13 PM
I can relate...
It was quite a game was it not?

Like the first hit of a powerful drug. You'll spend your life chasing it.

jimmy
08-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.

pie123
08-11-2017, 09:25 PM

This all the way.

I never really understood the animosity people had for multiple toons. They make it seem like its some conspiracy in which producers gain more benefits and the common consumer is left cheated. More AFK toons lead to more supply, and thus more competition (ultimately leading to lower prices and more content). It's a win-win!

plainolewhitey
08-11-2017, 09:59 PM
I bet you go to anything potluck or buffet

There's a potluck buffet?!? WHERE!!!????

plainolewhitey
08-11-2017, 10:13 PM
OK ok - we get it. You want a wipe and 2 toons. Can we just leave the thread now for actual updates instead of people pushing their own agendas (yes, i realize the irony of this statement)?

Oh man, you... so serious!

https://media.giphy.com/media/js3SsYYvMiWLC/giphy.gif

Dova
08-11-2017, 10:19 PM
there a newish update on what is going on yet?

Yes. People in Europe are sleeping. 8-)

rwp389
08-11-2017, 10:21 PM

$sound = new-Object System.Media.SoundPlayer;
$webclient = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
$webClient.DownloadFile("http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2017-07-30_6786517629734627/movies/star_wars/chewy.wav", "$pwd\upsound.wav")
$sound.SoundLocation="$pwd\upsound.wav";

while ($true) {
$url = "http://www.swgemu.com/status/basilisk.xml"
$contents = $webclient.DownloadString($url)
$down = Select-String -Pattern "<status>down" -InputObject $contents
$up = Select-String -Pattern "<status>up" -InputObject $contents
$locked = Select-String -Pattern "<status>lock" -InputObject $contents

if ($up.length -gt 0) {
Write-Host("The server is UP!")
$sound.Play();
}
if ($down.length -gt 0) {
Write-Host("The server is still down.")
}
if ($locked.length -gt 0) {
Write-Host("The server is LOCKED, interesting...")
}
Start-Sleep -s 30
}

Downloads a chewy wav file, then checks every 30 seconds to see if it's up, down, or locked. If it's up it'll play the chewy sound (every 30 seconds). If you hit ctrl+c it'll end it.

To use this just copy (ctrl+c) the code and open notepad. Paste it into notepad, then save that as "CheckSwg.ps1" (without the quotes) - you should save it to your documents or something. Can't just upload it somewhere for download, Windows will understandably complain if you download a powershell script and try to run it. Obviously run at your own risk, but you can clearly read what it's doing there.

Then browse to wherever you saved it (preferably your Documents) and right click it, and click "Run With Powershell" and a window will open and start checking every 30 seconds.

All you have to do is put your social security number in for the password! Make sure to include DOB lol

flugel76
08-11-2017, 10:22 PM
I had 7 accounts

Trust Fund FTW

birdmanyo
08-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Are there any other servers to play on with 800+ people?

Vlada
08-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Are there any other servers to play on with 800+ people?

You want to get someone banned?

P.S. No, none of them are even close to that number.

stylish
08-11-2017, 11:01 PM
House clean.
Yard mowed.
Dishes done.
Laundry started.
I need to kill things and take stuff from them!

ebayne
08-11-2017, 11:09 PM
Trust Fund FTW

nah. did it on a teacher's salary. gave up booze and came out money ahead even after paying subs.

Dova
08-11-2017, 11:22 PM
nah. did it on a teacher's salary. gave up booze and came out money ahead even after paying subs.

Food first. Always give booze up last.

Arkan
08-11-2017, 11:39 PM
:( been working 12 hr shifts and so look forward to my SWG time. Hopefully it gets corrected soon. Been years since i played finally got on swgemu and realized the addiction to the grind never went away. :)

rwp389
08-12-2017, 12:03 AM
Devs have to go out and drink too i mean come on people lol

Vlada
08-12-2017, 12:13 AM
Devs have to go out and drink too i mean come on people lol

They don't need to go out to drink. Drinking at home is perfectly acceptable.

Protocentauri
08-12-2017, 12:21 AM
Is that what happened.. They had a party foul and dump it all over the HDD?

Vlada
08-12-2017, 12:26 AM
Is that what happened.. They had a party foul and dump it all over the HDD?

Actually it was SSD's. I was in a rush to post the announcement, and i pulled the trigger before TA could review it, turns out 2 SSD's died, not 2 HDD's. But in the grand scheme of things, that makes zero difference now.

spiceymeme
08-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Actually it was SSD's. I was in a rush to post the announcement, and i pulled the trigger before TA could review it, turns out 2 SSD's died, not 2 HDD's. But in the grand scheme of things, that makes zero difference now.

Does alcohol harm SSDs in the same way it harms HDDs?

Vlada
08-12-2017, 12:31 AM
Does alcohol harm SSDs in the same way it harms HDDs?

No idea. Will have to test it wehn we bring Bas back online. Results would be inconclusive if we test it while its offline.

Evil Cyborg 10
08-12-2017, 12:35 AM
Uploading 1TB of data ouch!

wjenet
08-12-2017, 12:47 AM
Actually it was SSD's.

SSDs are a "guaranteed to fail" technology. They have a limited lifetime. This is not a surprise to anyone who maintains high-availability services.

Combine high-availability with high transaction (write) rates, and "average expected lifetime" of the hardware is an overly-optimistic guess, at best.

I understand that this is user-funded.

I understand that this is volunteer staffed.

I understand that users will gripe at the hint of ANY downtime.

I just observe that you (the EMU team) have your best people wrapped around a critical failure. Please understand that I say the following with a HUGE amount of respect and admiration for the team: "SSD technology *WILL* fail. Plan for it."

Again, great respect and admiration for the work being done.

Peak
08-12-2017, 12:58 AM
The importance of lower character limits can't be overstated when it comes to making the economy in the original live game work the way that it did. With that said, even the $15 a month per account wasn't really a deterrent for people that wanted to power game. Dealing with that is going to be a massive issue when the time comes to launch Suncrusher.

But we aren't there yet. Wanting to make e-fortunes and having a more vibrant social scene are not a priority at this stage in the development cycle. Sorry.

plainolewhitey
08-12-2017, 01:15 AM
I had 7 accounts and I STILL wasn't completely independent. I relied on crafters better than me for much of my stuff, and just enjoyed dinking around making stuff that was 90% of SB to sell to folks who didn't want to pay for 100%.

I had 22 accounts. It allowed me to have my own city. That was enough to be completely independent ;)

flugel76
08-12-2017, 01:42 AM

How did you find time to grade homework and manage 7 accounts?

Talmara
08-12-2017, 02:07 AM
Can I have everyone's stuff?

Yes. Yes you can...

Bostwain
08-12-2017, 02:17 AM
just leaving this quote here for people to read over again.

This, in my opinion, is why it should be wiped regardless and reset peoples expectations. This isn't the final iteration of the game, so dont so attatched to it.

jharmison
08-12-2017, 02:34 AM

...Microsofty bits...

Two things:
1. If that "Chewy wav file" isn't really Rick Astley I'd be upset.
2. This is maybe useful, if you want to be alerted when not around to get rick-rolled: https://www.pdq.com/blog/powershell-send-mailmessage-gmail/

They don't need to go out to drink. Drinking at home is perfectly acceptable.

Obligatory relevant xkcd (https://xkcd.com/323/).

akreaper
08-12-2017, 02:35 AM
When u said hhd I figured u meant ssd. But t the same time there are the hybrid hard drives. Was wondering if u was trying them out

akreaper
08-12-2017, 02:38 AM
Oh and if any one was on corbantis and remembers Johnny stormthtasher that was me. Jumped in the game a few months ago

ebayne
08-12-2017, 02:44 AM
How did you find time to grade homework and manage 7 accounts?

As a history teacher I was discouraged from giving homework so it didn't interfere with the almighty STEM curriculum.

Which was fine by me--more playtime.

(But the STEM fetishism eventually drove me out of the profession.)

Contrapunctus
08-12-2017, 03:12 AM

I appreciate folks who speak out against STEM fetishism.

To avoid getting off topic, I appreciate the development staff for rummaging through all of that data. Come what may, I'll be playing.

flugel76
08-12-2017, 03:21 AM
As a history teacher I was discouraged from giving homework so it didn't interfere with the almighty STEM curriculum.

Which was fine by me--more playtime.

But how did you have time to even manage seven accounts? Even one account with only 2 characters is a full-time job in SWG.

ssjflint
08-12-2017, 04:16 AM
SSDs are a "guaranteed to fail" technology. They have a limited lifetime. This is not a surprise to anyone who maintains high-availability services.

Combine high-availability with high transaction (write) rates, and "average expected lifetime" of the hardware is an overly-optimistic guess, at best.

I understand that this is user-funded.

I understand that this is volunteer staffed.

I understand that users will gripe at the hint of ANY downtime.

I just observe that you (the EMU team) have your best people wrapped around a critical failure. Please understand that I say the following with a HUGE amount of respect and admiration for the team: "SSD technology *WILL* fail. Plan for it."

Again, great respect and admiration for the work being done.

HDD's fail as well, if not sooner.

FWHJames
08-12-2017, 04:28 AM
From TheAnswer: We finished uploading 1.1TB of data and now we're going though it. *From Facebook awhile ago. I am sure most people already saw that, or I missed it posted here some where.

chen-
08-12-2017, 04:32 AM
From TheAnswer: We finished uploading 1.1TB of data and now we're going though it. *From Facebook awhile ago. I am sure most people already saw that, or I missed it posted here some where.

its in the OP.

vlada (or someone) has been updating the original post with pertinent info.

KommissarWhode
08-12-2017, 04:43 AM
This just in from Imperial Command, regarding your progress: 'You guys ****ing rock, take the time you need to get it right, and don't rush on our account. That is all.'

Shortb0y
08-12-2017, 06:39 AM
Whatever happens it's better than before SWGEMU started...

Lolindir
08-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Whatever happens it's better than before SWGEMU started...Could not agree more.

I personally hope that we don't get a wipe, since we need Basilisk as it is... Or was...

Omens
08-12-2017, 09:13 AM
A wipe would delay many things to test.
But it may also clean the server from its old data ?
There should be tons of useless stuff in there.

klink01
08-12-2017, 09:19 AM
But how did you have time to even manage seven accounts? Even one account with only 2 characters is a full-time job in SWG. you must of been a NGE player as it used to be only one character per server back in the day. Plus it's not too hard to manage 5 to 6 toons that all they do is AFK sample or the toon that get the token mayor job.. or say cantina entertainer.

Darth Kat
08-12-2017, 10:06 AM
A lot of people commenting here seem to have totally missed the point of Basilisk.

It's a TEST server, so keeping the data would be a much better option from a testing perspective, more data, more angles that can be tested.

The number of character slots is a straw man and has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread. However, the more char slots, the more options players can have to test out different profesions and templates.

As for the economy, it doesn't matter at all about that, it's meaningless, again this is a test server, a WIP, a temporary set up to check out various aspects of code, game mechanics, data etc. etc.

(BTW I only read the first 30 pages of the thread, posts started to repeat themselves and I got bored)

Serrabell
08-12-2017, 10:19 AM
A lot of people commenting here seem to have totally missed the point of Basilisk.

It's a TEST server, so keeping the data would be a much better option from a testing perspective, more data, more angles that can be tested.

The number of character slots is a straw man and has nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread. However, the more char slots, the more options players can have to test out different profesions and templates.

As for the economy, it doesn't matter at all about that, it's meaningless, again this is a test server, a WIP, a temporary set up to check out various aspects of code, game mechanics, data etc. etc.

(BTW I only read the first 30 pages of the thread, posts started to repeat themselves and I got bored)

I totally agree with this post. I think we lose sight of the objective here at times.

chen-
08-12-2017, 10:26 AM
I totally agree with this post. I think we lose sight of the objective here at times.

i see it as we are having a house built. we found some contractors to do it for free. while they are putting up walls, and building floors... we are telling them where to put the tv, couch and fridge. (yes, im a carpenter)

unless you ready to start building the house on your own, lets trust the staff's decision for what best for the project.

Ryjarob
08-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Something something something test server...

snash123
08-12-2017, 11:02 AM
What ever happens, what ever you guys decide to do, im not going anywhere and will always be a full supporter of this project.

You guys have done an outstanding job to have got the pre-cu project to as far as you have, im just sorry this has happened and potentially wiping out all your hard work!

But if you do have to wipe and start again, I will be up there with the other true genuine supporters to get the commerce up and running again.

May the Force be with us all.

uriel1972
08-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Alpha servers will be alpha servers.

egroendyk
08-12-2017, 12:49 PM
I wanted to create a character on Nova, in the meantime, to help with testing for bugs in career paths I'm unfamiliar with, but it appears that functionality is broken (during this downtime, specifically, I'm guessing?). ):

Here's to everything being recovered/sifted-through today and to hoping for a quick boot-up to Pub 9! Can't wait to get back online to really participate in the project. It's a major bummer I can't connect yesterday/today, but no major complaints or issues from my end; patience is the best virtue, especially for us Padawan learners on SWG (;

Thank you, again, to all the devs, for all your hard work! You guys don't get paid enough to put up with our crap (or at all, for that matter hehe)!

deadshadow
08-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Just my opinion here
Devs are gambling when it comes to save a 5year old DB.
That being said, i honestly dunno the reasoning behind saying " its a test server, we need to preserve the data like it was"
It might not be a coincidence to have the HDD fails when merging pub 9 on Bas.
Saving the data as it was, do not insure that more problems will arise or not.
Best course of action to a TEST server is not saving memories or fortunes, is to take the proper actions to achieve the main goal.
With a Clean DB and a Pub 9 merge, has the benefit that, bugs that are reported after, have no association to a recovered DB.
Again this is my opinion, and has no purpose of trolling, just my POV.

pugguh
08-12-2017, 01:17 PM

OMG I lol'd at that one AJ, thx!! rolfmao!!... great foods BTW...

Evil Cyborg 10
08-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Just my opinion here
That being said, i honestly dunno the reasoning behind saying " its a test server, we need to preserve the data like it was"
Best course of action to a TEST server is not saving memories or fortunes, is to take the proper actions to achieve the main goal.
With a Clean DB and a Pub 9 merge, has the benefit that, bugs that are reported after, have no association to a recovered DB.

They've mentioned before some bugs came from year old data, they also need this as a stress test for when Suncrusher is out. If this happened to Suncrusher they would attempt to fix that to, this is a good trail run.

Chui
08-12-2017, 01:50 PM
It is also a decent test of backup code and policies. There is more to the project than a simple working server. What is learned here may be very useful down the road to less experienced server admins when SWGEmu 1.0 is released.

sportkid0606
08-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Just my opinion here

I like this idea. I don't know everything that would be lost in a wipe but I personally just like the idea of a clean slate for everyone to start a new. I just hope if a wipe happens the devs don't lose years of work. I would hate for all their hard work to be gone.

jharmison
08-12-2017, 01:59 PM
/shrug
I'm logged in right now.

Edit: I don't appear to have lost.... much or anything. Maybe a day?

Miztah
08-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Alright folks, update time. We've managed a recovery of the database and we've got everything copied over to our new SSD's. We're letting Bas run for the weekend as a stress test on the database to ensure there is no corruption that didn't pop up initially. This means that for this weekend, Basilisk is going to remain on Publish 8. We're looking to give the Publish 9 merge another shot on Monday, assuming all goes well over the next 48 hours. We'll update regarding Pub9 closer to monday when we know for sure.

In the meantime, continue on Basilisk as you normally would. We'll be keeping an eye out on our side for any potential stability issues.

Keep in mind that we're still doing integrity checks on the database, if we run into any database corruption between now and then it's very likely that any progress you make this weekend will be lost when we revert to a backup. This is not guaranteed to occur, but be aware that it is definitely a possibility.

nasher1984
08-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Alright folks, update time. We've managed a recovery of the database and we've got everything copied over to our new SSD's. We're letting Bas run for the weekend as a stress test on the database to ensure there is no corruption that didn't pop up initially. This means that for this weekend, Basilisk is going to remain on Publish 8. We're looking to give the Publish 9 merge another shot on Monday, assuming all goes well over the next 48 hours. We'll update regarding Pub9 closer to monday when we know for sure.

In the meantime, continue on Basilisk as you normally would. We'll be keeping an eye out on our side for any potential stability issues.

Keep in mind that we're still doing integrity checks on the database, if we run into any database corruption between now and then it's very likely that any progress you make this weekend will be lost when we revert to a backup. This is not guaranteed to occur, but be aware that it is definitely a possibility.

First, thank you so much for your hard work and your team. Second, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WIPE THE DANG SERVER!

jharmison
08-12-2017, 02:14 PM

Great work regardless, everyone involved. It's nice to know that we probably won't be running around with sticks when Pub9 drops. :)

texparamedic
08-12-2017, 02:15 PM
You guys are frickin Awesome!! Thanks so much for your hard work over the last couple of days!

Evil Cyborg 10
08-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Awesome work!

Buuz Ound
08-12-2017, 02:27 PM
True professionals 🖒 Thank You!

Jaws
08-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the update guys. Keep up the good work.

First, thank you so much for your hard work and your team. Second, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WIPE THE DANG SERVER!

They have repeatedly said it is NOT in the interests of the dev team to wipe at this point - it was a worst case scenario.

SeraphExodus
08-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Thanks Miz! Glad you guys managed to pull it off.

futuramaman
08-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Well in the worst case we could have had blue frogs which basically means keeping all of those too common legendary t21s and ADKs really isn't important at all:P We probably would have read about swgemu billionaires jumping out of buildings with a sad sad story taped to themselves HAHA

aDubble
08-12-2017, 02:49 PM
Damn me and my friends were really looking forward to coming back to SWG solely based on the news of a possible fresh server. But happy for everyone that is established there and won't lose their gear and stuff.

Good luck to everyone!

Skoimich
08-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Good work, very much appreciated, I work in IT myself and I know how much backup and restores are tricky things!

ebayne
08-12-2017, 03:48 PM
I am now reminded to back up my own SSD

Chui
08-12-2017, 03:55 PM
I am now reminded to back up my own SSD

Better living through SWGEmu :)

IxeStarwind
08-12-2017, 04:26 PM

That's great news! so , whats the new back-up disaster recovery plan for the long term? were new drives purchased? Amazon S3 50$ for 2TB monthly? some other plan in place? I would hope there is some cloud option. it would be good to know if this has been discussed so we don't have a repeat of the situation . thanks for all your hard work.

Superser
08-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Very well done devs!
A question: basilisk is 1.1 TB of memory? That much? Wow!

Reead
08-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Awesome news. Thanks to the entire dev team, but especially TheAnswer, for working so hard to recover the database. Excellent job. Fingers crossed that the server survives this weekend stress test.

Jhunta
08-12-2017, 05:15 PM
great job guys. you are truly a cut above the rest. thank you for all of your hard work and dedication.

Vikko
08-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Thank you profusely to the entire dev team for their hard work. Its a shame in a way that the rest of us who benefit from your efforts don't get a better view
of all the time and effort that goes into a project like this so that we would better appreciate the effort. Thanks for making this game possible for all of us to enjoy!

Vikko

whisoo
08-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Great job! very happy indeed for the Devs that they've managed to retrieve the database and hope the stress testing will confirm it's all good and the project can move forward on Monday. Good luck!

:clap:

TheAnswer
08-12-2017, 06:14 PM
That's great news! so , whats the new back-up disaster recovery plan for the long term? were new drives purchased? Amazon S3 50$ for 2TB monthly? some other plan in place? I would hope there is some cloud option. it would be good to know if this has been discussed so we don't have a repeat of the situation . thanks for all your hard work.

There will be a post mortem post with solutions when the dust settles.

Dbrock
08-12-2017, 08:40 PM
So probably no Wipe then...

Vlada
08-12-2017, 09:17 PM
So probably no Wipe then...

Oh there still is gonna be at least one, just later.

jimmy
08-12-2017, 09:20 PM
jtl later or when dust settles :-p

ebayne
08-12-2017, 10:25 PM
thanks for tuning out the noise getting the job done. it ain't always easy.

chen-
08-12-2017, 10:26 PM
thanks for tuning out the noise getting the job done. it ain't always easy.

lol, we are an intense bunch of autists lol

Edbacca
08-12-2017, 11:21 PM
I just want to have some beers and a sangwich with vlada!!!

Vlada
08-12-2017, 11:35 PM
I just want to have some beers and a sangwich with vlada!!!

You wouldn't enjoy a sangwich with vlada. Vlada is a bit hard to swallow and digest, bitter AF too.

Loc-nar
08-12-2017, 11:47 PM
You wouldn't enjoy a sangwich with vlada. Vlada is a bit hard to swallow and digest, bitter AF too.

How about hookers and cocaine on the island that is well funded with the dough that was for new SSDs but went to Dev Island rent?

birdmanyo
08-13-2017, 01:34 AM
Any update as to whether they will have to revert to Friday's database?

Fissile
08-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Oh there still is gonna be at least one, just later.

we can all delay our sip from the poison cult chalice. for now.

Chui
08-13-2017, 11:32 AM
we can all delay our sip from the poison cult chalice. for now.

Does the chalice from the palace still hold the brew that is true?

"The Court Jester"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Ow69QWJmo

Fissile
08-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Does the chalice from the palace still hold the brew that is true?

"The Court Jester"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Ow69QWJmo

:D:D:D:D

loved that.

wren
08-13-2017, 01:40 PM

Using object storage like S3 for a live databases is not a good idea. Read up on the differences between object storage and block storage. Object storage is great for things that need to be read frequently and written infrequently. A live data base is being written to often, this makes it a horrible choice for a data base.

buellronin
08-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Pub9 and Jaime lanaster both died after their first battle last week

birdmanyo
08-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Any news on the integrity of the database?

Vlada
08-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Update from TA.

Its a 48 hour test, so its ongoing. But, no bad news so far.

Vorgge
08-13-2017, 06:06 PM
As always, you guys doing an amazing job. Really appreciating, keep up the awesome work!

birdmanyo
08-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Update from TA.

Thank you fellas for the work and update

Tulak_Hord
08-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Thanks a lot :) You guys are great :)

Misk Brebran
08-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all your hard work during the outage last week and supervision of the database this weekend. You guys are awesome! Much appreciated and happy to be back!

Misk Brebran
08-13-2017, 11:01 PM
Pub9 and Jaime lanaster both died after their first battle last week

he didnt die, just wanted a swim cuz it was SO hot outside in that armor!!!

Agelk
08-14-2017, 12:22 AM
only problem he doggie paddles in circles

buellronin
08-14-2017, 12:24 AM
only problem he doggie paddles in circles

Perhaps someone should lend him a hand

stylish
08-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Mount and dot

woodoonap
08-14-2017, 01:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhuK7aZayw

ebayne
08-14-2017, 02:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhuK7aZayw

"There can be only one" is what got us into this mess.

RokGod
08-14-2017, 03:15 PM
so no roll back?

johnmol
08-14-2017, 03:44 PM
so no roll back?
Unless things get corrupted during the second merge attempt, probably not.

Lostphoenix
08-14-2017, 07:27 PM
been down for 5 minutes now....done with the update yet?

woodoonap
08-14-2017, 07:28 PM
7min 57sec

NRay7882
08-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Thanks for your contributions to the thread. From the front page:

There's still a lot of potential for corruption or database issues to crop up that we haven't seen, so we're going to be taking some extra precautions in case those issues do pop up. Because of this, when the server is taken down, expect an extended downtime before it comes back up with the new publish.

Dainamas
08-14-2017, 08:26 PM
"It is a period of coding struggles and SSD problems. Free workers, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory to restore freedom in the galaxy.
During the battle, coders managed to recode the whole galaxy from scrap. After many years of coding, It's a critical moment of truth, perhaps there will be a definite victory to bring the Force back into the universe. ...."

Edbacca
08-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Dam it's up, that was quick!!

woodoonap
08-14-2017, 08:39 PM
was it just a restart?

Sergion
08-14-2017, 08:40 PM
no update yet? or is that not today, curious

Vlada
08-14-2017, 08:40 PM
Dam it's up, that was quick!!

Since Basilisk was not restarted since we recovered the DB, devs want to see if it will shut down, save and then load again properly before they start backing it up and attempting to merge it with Pub 9 code.

barrylw65
08-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Thought that was a bit quick. lol

Edbacca
08-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Guess I was "premature" in thinking pub 9 launched. I'm never "premature"!!

Vlada
08-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Guess I was "premature" in thinking pub 9 launched. I'm never "premature"!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4_Fefew78

Thianraven
08-14-2017, 10:40 PM
Waits for Bas to do its thing and hopes that Nova will soon have JTLS

Chui
08-14-2017, 10:49 PM
Waits for Bas to do its thing and hopes that Nova will soon have JTLS

Doubtful. The team has stated more than once that the ground game will be finished before JTL comes about and Mitzah was talking about maybe finishing ground game with publish 11.

Vaevak
08-14-2017, 10:53 PM
looking forward to it!

Thianraven
08-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Hey we pilot types can hope cant we? Maybe they will have mercy on all us grounded ones wanting to spread our wings again.

nee2earth
08-14-2017, 11:01 PM
Let's wait until Pub9 is actually on Basilisk before we start speculating/worrying about JTL or 'Publish 11' or whatever.

No ETA's, gang. You know the drill.

p.s. No one and i mean no one wants JTL (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B03LcsiTCEGqOXFlV09odF9rdHM) more than I do. But first things first. Pub9 to Bas. Pub10 to Nova. Future in motion.

hugoman
08-14-2017, 11:02 PM
Vlada, we need your magic words to make all well again. When will Basilisk be up and running?

Chui
08-14-2017, 11:58 PM
Hey we pilot types can hope cant we? Maybe they will have mercy on all us grounded ones wanting to spread our wings again.

Oh I understand, I do. Had all nine Master Pilot Certificates with one character. It was fun to see a Wookiee flying the Imperial ships. ;)

jediwl
08-15-2017, 12:04 AM
p.s. No one and i mean no one wants JTL (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B03LcsiTCEGqOXFlV09odF9rdHM) more than I do.

Oh really ? Were you a nine time ace ? Solo Lord Cyssc ? in an A-wing ?

More important do you plan to enter Deep Space ?

nee2earth
08-15-2017, 12:12 AM
Oh really ? Were you a nine time ace ? Solo Lord Cyssc ? in an A-wing ?

More important do you plan to enter Deep Space ?

Yes. Yes. Yes. No. (i preferred M-22 Krayt Gunship and Tie Advanced)

And yes, everyday. (also ran Space Events on Shadowfire every Friday night for a while)

jediwl
08-15-2017, 12:47 AM
Yes. Yes. Yes. No. (i preferred M-22 Krayt Gunship and Tie Advanced)

And yes, everyday. (also ran Space Events on Shadowfire every Friday night for a while)

I very much look forward to blasting you out of Deep Space.

Swilliams
08-15-2017, 01:09 AM
Nee2earth, can we all expect an invitation to a space Yacht party when JTL is out?

nee2earth
08-15-2017, 01:12 AM
Nee2earth, can we all expect an invitation to a space Yacht party when JTL is out?

Whenever the day comes that JTL testing begins in-earnest on TCNova, I suspect the 'Yacht parties' will be abundant.

Heck, most of our ole Vet community has been waiting for JTL even more so than Jedi.

jharmison
08-15-2017, 01:25 AM
p.s. No one and i mean no one wants JTL (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B03LcsiTCEGqOXFlV09odF9rdHM) more than I do. But first things first. Pub9 to Bas. Pub10 to Nova. Future in motion.

Mostly, I got from this that internet connections have come a long way. I don't have any handy screenshots laying around of my 04/05 gameplay experiences with latency showing, but god that looks awful. I vaguely remember everything sucking a bit, just hadn't realized how much.

Bostwain
08-15-2017, 01:35 AM
p.s. No one and i mean no one wants JTL

Sweet one step closer to Suncrusher.

Edbacca
08-15-2017, 02:18 AM
Did vlada say happy ending? I need a massage!!!

Lolindir
08-15-2017, 02:27 AM
Well, if you need a massage.... Find a cantina....

Ps. Vlada is sleeping and so should I. Its 4.30 in the morning here in Europe

greyjeth
08-15-2017, 02:29 AM
Well, if you need a massage.... Find a cantina....

Ps. Vlada is sleeping and so should I. Its 4.30 in the morning here in Europe

You have my sympathies.

Evir
08-15-2017, 02:56 AM
Whenever the day comes that JTL testing begins in-earnest on TCNova, I suspect the 'Yacht parties' will be abundant.

Heck, most of our ole Vet community has been waiting for JTL even more so than Jedi.

That is because Jedi are boring, the game is much better without Jedi at all.

MobiusDicious
08-15-2017, 03:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4_Fefew78

That was awfully bleak, lol.

Smoki
08-15-2017, 03:57 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/LXP19BrVaOOgE/giphy.gif

Spoiler alert.

Jhackman
08-15-2017, 05:30 AM
Wipe Wipe Wipe!

shubaz
08-15-2017, 06:10 AM
Thank you

woodoonap
08-15-2017, 08:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDCS19EOsrA

Cryva
08-15-2017, 12:42 PM
Any updates?

Is everything going according to plan or crashing?

Vlada
08-15-2017, 01:11 PM
pub 9 merge started

Edbacca
08-15-2017, 01:21 PM
A "happy ending " or wait a "happy beginnings " is upon us!!!!

buellronin
08-15-2017, 01:22 PM

Happy endings are good.

FurytheOriginal
08-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Yea for our side

PeterAusStuhr
08-15-2017, 02:06 PM
pub 9 merge started

hooray

Shroudedpast
08-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Hope the merge goes well ^^

Jervin
08-15-2017, 02:21 PM
pub 9 merge started

I had a good laugh...

woodoonap
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag35/Maximilian_Hofmeister/merge-ned_zps04f96d88.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/Maximilian_Hofmeister/media/merge-ned_zps04f96d88.jpg.html)

laminouk

I dont normaly quote people but this is how i feel.

In swg history, the code has never been so good, the community so "tuned" to what we have and can have. In a small or large way we have all been apart of a legacy.

Devs, comm officers, Server admins ect. I thank you humbly for the life you spend on making our lives and the others to follow truly a galatic experance.
you guys rock.

Happy ending or happy beginings may the force be with you.... Always.

lurch1313
08-15-2017, 02:44 PM
http://randomville.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ren-n-stimpy.gif

pie123
08-15-2017, 02:58 PM
I'm so excited! How long does the merging process typically last?

Mistress Aerea
08-15-2017, 03:03 PM

There's no way to tell. Usually merges take a good part of the day, then for the next few days the server is fairly unstable and goes up and down a lot.

This time, however, things are probably going to take a lot longer. I imagine there are some extra backup precautions being taken, and a new navmesh system to load. All of that will add hours and hours to the down time.

Lostphoenix
08-15-2017, 03:09 PM
I have my fingers, toes, and a few other "random" body parts all crossed to send the server some good luck. Hopefully it comes up soon, its starting to hurt a little

Corden53
08-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Very excited for this update. This will definitely go down as one of Basilisk's most historic and memorable moments. This update will be very exciting for a lot of people. I know Jedi being in the game comes with its own set of issues, but there's no doubt that the first handful of months after Publish 9 will be a blast (and hopefully well beyond). I'll be playing Sonic Mania while I wait. =)

Tunkson
08-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Very excited for this update. This will definitely go down as one of Basilisk's most historic and memorable moments. This update will be very exciting for a lot of people. I know Jedi being in the game comes with its own set of issues, but there's no doubt that the first handful of months after Publish 9 will be a blast (and hopefully well beyond). I'll be playing Sonic Mania while I wait. =)

I would love to disagree with this, but since you didn't specially say "one of the best moments" (at which point I would have pointed out other moments that could surpass this one) I have no choice but to agree with you.

Though, I like to think that the biggest reason this is so memorable as you want to call it, is not solely because of Jedi (although that plays a big factor) but because there was so much at stake here since the server just as easily could be wiped. There is no shortage of people that want this server to be wiped, just like there is no shortage of people that want Jedi to be on the server. The wipe will lead to players leaving, but also people coming, and implementation will lead to some people coming back. No matter which way it goes, lots of people will be happy and a not-so-small amount of people will be disappointed or pissed.

(Funny how literally no one has commented on the fact that Corvettes are going to be in)

ecp
08-15-2017, 03:36 PM
...and a new navmesh system to load.
What is this and what does this do for the project? It sounds like it does something. :kitty:

gozirraizroose
08-15-2017, 03:47 PM
ecp, a navmesh is what aids mobs in pathing. It lets the bad guys go around a rock, for instance, instead of through (or getting stuck in).

Chui
08-15-2017, 03:49 PM
What is this and what does this do for the project? It sounds like it does something. :kitty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_mesh

an abstract data structure (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_data_structure) used in artificial intelligence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence) applications to aid agents (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_agent) in pathfinding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinding) through complicated spaces.

Sounds like improved pathing of NPCs and mobs.

ecp
08-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Ahhhh, thanks!

Corden53
08-15-2017, 05:07 PM
I would love to disagree with this, but since you didn't specially say "one of the best moments" (at which point I would have pointed out other moments that could surpass this one) I have no choice but to agree with you.

Though, I like to think that the biggest reason this is so memorable as you want to call it, is not solely because of Jedi (although that plays a big factor) but because there was so much at stake here since the server just as easily could be wiped. There is no shortage of people that want this server to be wiped, just like there is no shortage of people that want Jedi to be on the server. The wipe will lead to players leaving, but also people coming, and implementation will lead to some people coming back. No matter which way it goes, lots of people will be happy and a not-so-small amount of people will be disappointed or pissed.

(Funny how literally no one has commented on the fact that Corvettes are going to be in)

I did leave out "best" for a reason. I admit, I tried to remain neutral and a bit vague on my opinion on Jedi being finally being implemented as a whole. As I said, there's a host of issues and concerns associated with Jedi in Star Wars Galaxies. It's been discussed to death in game, on Youtube, the forums and so on. I have really no interest in discussing it further in this thread and being a killjoy for people awaiting the update. The game for me has grown a bit stale in its current state, so I definitely look forward to the new content--even if it brings consequences. There's no doubt that for a large amount of people on the server Jedi and JTL are highly, highly anticipated implements. Jedi is certainly more controversial than JTL because it can still affect those who choose to ignore it. But I'm getting off topic.

I'm just glad the update is finally almost here. I'm sure a lot of people are glad the wipe didn't need to happen (as of yet, anyway), but it wouldn't really bother me if it had.

Cryva
08-15-2017, 05:43 PM
Soon.....

PirdoMatanda
08-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Running out of pr0n to watch, waiting for server to go back up.

daxxvacine
08-15-2017, 06:13 PM

WOAH! Corvettes are going to be in?

bigevil
08-15-2017, 06:20 PM
"- Added the Corellian Corvette dungeon and associated quests and loot"

:)

DDSilver
08-15-2017, 06:50 PM
"- Added the Corellian Corvette dungeon and associated quests and loot"

:)

There is a berserker rifle out there with my riflemans name written all over it!

Ra1led
08-15-2017, 07:16 PM
There is a berserker rifle out there with my riflemans name written all over it!

Which is basically a showpiece unless you can get your hands on some 200+ damage Gorax shards...I made this one on the TC with 42 damage spider fangs
http://i.imgur.com/vstZxqA.png

bigevil
08-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Always thought it should have been higher AP. 2 or 3 maybe.

Fissile
08-15-2017, 08:40 PM
so...has it been possible to spell out BASILISK with all the blow bought with donations the last few days? :)

Ra1led
08-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Always thought it should have been higher AP. 2 or 3 maybe.

None of the Heat damage weapons in the game have any AP. FWG5, Berserker, Flamethrower and EE3 Carbine all AP0

Jackleware
08-15-2017, 08:53 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_mesh

an abstract data structure (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_data_structure) used in artificial intelligence (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence) applications to aid agents (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_agent) in pathfinding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinding) through complicated spaces.

Sounds like improved pathing of NPCs and mobs.

Dear goodness, I hope this stops the Tuskens at the fort from running through and shooting through walls.

RickySpanish
08-15-2017, 08:59 PM
My body is ready for update 7

FWHJames
08-15-2017, 09:51 PM
Those Rifles Suck but yes I want one also.

Cryva
08-15-2017, 09:57 PM

As long as everything runs smoothly it will be up within the next 24-48 hours but not sure how long they will have it locked.

risenangel
08-15-2017, 09:58 PM
Dear goodness, I hope this stops the Tuskens at the fort from running through and shooting through walls.

Indoor/outdoor transitions still need work, so some of that will still happen, but tuskens should be a tiny bit smarter. Ft Tusken is one of the places I actually complained about when I was testing the navmesh system all over the world on Nova. So no, it won't fix everything wrong with the fort. It'll fix some of it, but not all of it.

DMP
08-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Indoor/outdoor transitions still need work, so some of that will still happen, but tuskens should be a tiny bit smarter. Ft Tusken is one of the places I actually complained about when I was testing the navmesh system all over the world on Nova. So no, it won't fix everything wrong with the fort. It'll fix some of it, but not all of it.

Yes I can confirm this , there are still some problems , but it s much better .

Stevewright1990
08-16-2017, 12:40 AM
Here's a random question... what do harvesters do during a 2-3 day down time? I have no Dev knowledge so I assume time just stops at the point of shut down and then continues once we are live again? Like someone's hit pause and then play again 3 days later?

Last of everyone's worries I'm sure, just curious :)

Chui
08-16-2017, 12:46 AM
Here's a random question... what do harvesters do during a 2-3 day down time? I have no Dev knowledge so I assume time just stops at the point of shut down and then continues once we are live again? Like someone's hit pause and then play again 3 days later?

Last of everyone's worries I'm sure, just curious :)

Actually they do exactly what they do while the server is up - nothing. There is nothing in the hopper until you open it, then the game figures the time (according to the server clock) since the harvester was turned on and calculates the amount of resource that should be in the hopper and displays it.

And since most server clocks are synched to UTC, the result in the hopper is the same whether the server was up or not during the preceding days.

Stevewright1990
08-16-2017, 01:19 AM
That's actually really interesting! Thanks Chui :-)

Jaws
08-16-2017, 01:44 AM
Actually they do exactly what they do while the server is up - nothing. There is nothing in the hopper until you open it, then the game figures the time (according to the server clock) since the harvester was turned on and calculates the amount of resource that should be in the hopper and displays it.

And since most server clocks are synched to UTC, the result in the hopper is the same whether the server was up or not during the preceding days.

My 2 cents - it's always a good habit to pull non-critical harvs before merges since you have no idea how long the server may be down.

Swilliams
08-16-2017, 01:53 AM
Any news about the server? Havent seen any new posts or updates anywhere.

greyjeth
08-16-2017, 02:13 AM

My experience is to hope for the best, but expect the worst. I hope things are alright with the server and that things are just taking a slow, yet safe, road.

Stevewright1990
08-16-2017, 02:36 AM

Dread to think how late the team will be up just working, no time to post.. I'm in the UK and it's 3.30am now and I know they around the same time zone and probably still up and going at it (sorting the update I mean 😑). Saying that keen to know if I can look forward to logging on when I get home from work in 20 hours lol. I will continue with an unhealthy habit of refreshing the home page every 15 minutes til then 😉

Quick
08-16-2017, 02:52 AM

Could we please get an update on the home page - the old notes from last week are still up.

Thanks

Avelek
08-16-2017, 02:56 AM
Join the discord scurby has been in there all night giving updates. There's not much to update though. It's taking a while as it was expected.

FWHJames
08-16-2017, 02:56 AM
Come on this post only has 50 pages. That is weak. Lets make it hit 100 before the server is back up. Just no questions about JTL its not here yet. Oh and no you cannot get Blue Frogs to do Jedi on Test server. OH and you can only ask for a update once a page.

Cryva
08-16-2017, 03:02 AM
Soon.......

Falloutkikah
08-16-2017, 03:12 AM
I'm way to anxious to know not only the outcome, but the status. It's hard being patient sometimes. lol

JacktheGreat05
08-16-2017, 03:17 AM
So, random thing to note... state defenses WILL OFFICIALLY WORK PROPERLY against non-player targets, as of publish 9.

I am officially excited for this change. No more permanent dizzy/blind/stun/intimidate on my tanking character.

I tried it out on Nova after reading the publish 9 patch notes. I fought 5 Sith Shadow Pirates all at once, immediately followed by 2 Sith Shadow Thugs at the same time (spawned on top of me). During the 20-ish minute battle (ran through a full buff cycle of pikatta pie and citros snowcake), I only got hit by knockdown 3 times, blind 3 or 4 times, and stun 3 or 4 times. All of my state resists on my defense stacker build are around 100, with the exception of indtimidate resist.

Cryva
08-16-2017, 04:31 AM
R.I.P Basilisk :(

Shroudedpast
08-16-2017, 06:48 AM
According to vlada the downtime will last for 48h minimum, if i understood his post correctly

Cryva
08-16-2017, 08:32 AM
I would be off work when the server is down lol

KezJona89
08-16-2017, 08:36 AM
Does he know something I don't or is he just being dramatic?

Nikaty
08-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Does he know something I don't or is he just being dramatic?

he has a personal relationship with the server gods. They tell him what he needs to know to feed us travelers.

Sualtan
08-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Im just asking: with pubblish 9 on Basilisk will we have JTL on Nova Test Server?

jediwl
08-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Oh and no you cannot get Blue Frogs to do Jedi on Test server.

That's not what he said, he said you can but it was not easy.