PDA

View Full Version : Basilisk extended downtime 08/09/2017

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Qlimax82
08-10-2017, 11:41 AM
Anybody else notice the client is now listing Basilisk as "loading"? [7:38am est]

Yeah, maybe they´re testing if the server is loading up. Took quite a while now.

barrylw65
08-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Hmm. Pretty sure this can't be right. But the website and the launcher says that Basilisk is loading. :-/ lol

algebuckina
08-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Hmm. Pretty sure this can't be right. But the website and the launcher says that Basilisk is loading. :-/ lol
Miz said not to think much of it on discord

Edit:

Miztah Today at 8:19 PM
Don't read too far into it.

vayman
08-10-2017, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the transparency and communication. I guess that no one is as disappointed as those on the development team. From that perspective, no apology is needed. Keep up the good work and come what may. I'm happy to be a part of the project in a "player" capacity and looking forward to assisting in the next stage of it's development. If that entails a wipe back to day 0, it can only benefit the project in the long run.

May the force (of our determination to bring SWG to the masses) be with us!

/salute

Matt Treck
08-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Quick update for everyone since I know everyone is waiting patiently... recovery attempts are still continuing, we aren't giving up yet. We've had some success with some of the smaller database files, but the largest and most important database is just over 300gb in size and it's giving us the most trouble. The file size means each recovery attempt we run can take at least 5-10 hours depending on the type of recovery we're running, so it's largely a waiting game each attempt. We'll update further once we've got something new to share. Thanks for the patience everyone.

We really appreciate the effort.

Ivojedi
08-10-2017, 12:04 PM
About the loading status: We are attempting to load a test db instance to check for data integrity. This should give us an indication of whether we'll need to wipe or not. It's loading on the HDDs so it's slow and will take time. Thanks for the continued patience.

Mistress Aerea
08-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the updates Miztah and Ivo!

LadyCierra
08-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Thank you for the updates, keep up the great work! :)

sduk72
08-10-2017, 12:10 PM
its ok for most of you to say "yeah, wipe it" but for some of us we can't play that often or as
often as we would like.
I've been playing for a while now and have been grinding many profs across a lot of characters on 3 accounts. Mainly because so many people are just AFK and you can't get what you need. (easier to do it yourself)
Not sure I could do it all again, Architect, tailor, armorsmith, droidsmith, doctor and weaponsmith in particular.
really hope it doesn't come to that but I do understand if it does.
Maybe I could even get to have a city on tattooine instead of Lok then!

kalindrel
08-10-2017, 12:13 PM
I have an enormous soap box hear me preach at you like I know everything. I was also never hugged as a child

Your salt is astounding. Youre probably one of those people who demands a refund for free services then spends the entire time whining about how their competitors do it SOOOOOOO much better

This community doesn't need that attitude

Vikko
08-10-2017, 12:16 PM
its ok for most of you to say "yeah, wipe it" but for some of us we can't play that often or as
often as we would like.
I've been playing for a while now and have been grinding many profs across a lot of characters on 3 accounts. Mainly because so many people are just AFK and you can't get what you need. (easier to do it yourself)
Not sure I could do it all again, Architect, tailor, armorsmith, droidsmith, doctor and weaponsmith in particular.

Yep, me too. Master Artisan (x2), Master Architect, Master Tailor, Master Merchant, Master Doctor (x2), (almost) Master Ranger, Master Pistoleer, Master TKA, Master Fencer
Master Image Designer (x3), Master Musician, Master Dancer (x3), Master Chef, Master Scout (x2), Master Medic (x3 I think), (almost) Master Politician. I will lose a lot of
work on building up all those characters, plus all the crafted stuff I have created (enough to build a spare city or two on my architect for instance), and the progress I had
on a few other professions. So I will be disappointed if they can't restore everything for sure, but on the other hand its a test server in the end, even if it feels like a regular
server, so I will adapt and overcome if I have to start all over again :P

elusive_fox
08-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Come what may, with sincerest gratitude I thank you - SWGEmu team - for everything you do, and for the continued updates.

Jaws
08-10-2017, 12:30 PM
About the loading status: We are attempting to load a test db instance to check for data integrity. This should give us an indication of whether we'll need to wipe or not. It's loading on the HDDs so it's slow and will take time. Thanks for the continued patience.

Thanks Ivo. Love the updates. As much as I wouldn't like a wipe - if it looks like it will be too much of a pita to recover the data move on as with the vendor explosion so you guys can continue the development rather than waste time on recovery.

algebuckina
08-10-2017, 12:33 PM
on 3 accounts.
lol at banned

Thanks Ivo. Love the updates. As much as I wouldn't like a wipe - if it looks like it will be too much of a pita to recover the data move on as with the vendor explosion so you guys can continue the development rather than waste time on recovery.
They will do all they can to keep basilisk alive.

I for one don't mind if we get a wipe or not, but I highly respect TA for his continued effort to give us a good game to play. He could be like "Stuff this it's too much effort" and just start fresh, but he is taking time out of his life to fix it for us, the players. I intend to thank you, as well as the rest of the team, personally on IRC once this is all over but honestly keep up the great work TA, same to the whole team.

FurytheOriginal
08-10-2017, 12:41 PM
I just took to time to read every post in this thread, and no one is giving them a "bad time". You are projecting a false narrative. A small number of players have simply voiced their frustration, and then said "oh well, let's get back up and do it again".

The issue isn't a wipe. The vast majority of Basilisk's at the keyboard population have wanted a wipe for at least 3 years. Personally, a wipe is the only thing that would entice me back to Basilisk. As best as I can tell, the only members of this community who are currently outraged are the afk farmers and the pvpers who troll each other on Reddit all the time. No one cares about them, anyway.

You're trying to lump in the members of this community asking valid questions about why Publish 9 was pushed on the very heels a KNOWN hardware failure, followed by a catastrophic 2nd failure, into an imaginary group of players who are nerdraging about a wipe. That's not what's happening here. People are concerned (and justly so) not about the prospect of a wipe, but rather about how a server with a failsafe in place could have possibly failed in this regard, and the answering we're getting right now from devs and staff is "meh, schtick happens, what can you do? We do this for free by the way, if we haven't mentioned that in the past fifteen minutes. Honestly what's the big deal? It's just a test server". And that is really condescending and off-putting.

Personally, it all feels a little hinkey to me. The odds of TWO hard drives failing at the same time of a major publish....a publish poised to bring hundreds, if not thousands of players back to the server....are astronomical. To me, it feels more like they're wiping on purpose, but they just don't want to admit it. If that's the case, then I feel like they've really underestimated the resolve of this community (unless they care more about the reddit pvpers and afk farmers who will probably ragequit). Everyone I know who plays or who once played on Basilisk WANTS a wipe. So why the deception?

Now I could be wrong about this....I've surely been wrong before about a great many things in life.......but, I don't know man.....this just feels too much like the exact same crap Stella Bellum's devs pulled when they "launched". It's just really hard for me to believe that this team of devs and staff could be THAT careless, and then be so apathetic about it. I mean, these are pretty tech savvy guys. True, you can't anticipate a hard drive failure, but you CAN make sure that both are functioning before you roll out the publish that everyone has been waiting for. It just doesn't add up. This project gets donations, and I don't really see any sense in the world why some of those donations couldn't have been used to ensure that the hard drives were both in working order before rolling out jedi. A planned wipe smokescreened by one heck of a coincidental double hard drive failure simply makes more logical sense.

I have to echo the sentiments of others here; I don't care about a wipe, and I in fact welcome one. But what I do care about is what feels like a total lack of transparency, if not downright dishonesty. Moving forward, that's going to make a lot of members of this community give pause before donating.

A few things...

First they initially said the first hard drive that was failed was NOT KNOWN before the process was started or they would have replaced it before hand...

Second, I am a server/switch guy and having two hard drives fail about the same time on new servers and especially older servers is a lot more common place than you realize. Hence the reason so many class 100 clean room data recovery centers make money.

Third, if its a hosted server and they are not local to it but rather working remotely without an email notification or a check prior to starting the process they would not know.

Fourth, if you aren't even playing since you stated a wipe is the only thing that would bring you back why even troll the forums

Finally, be happy you even have the game to play again and stop feeling so entitled

Xandor
08-10-2017, 12:43 PM
You're able to play 3 accounts? Sounds like you're able to play pretty often.

often as we would like.

veaseomat
08-10-2017, 01:00 PM
***edit*** oh wow he was banned. good, I love swift justice.

Also, I would like to give my thanks and gratitude towards everyone who has put in work on this project.

bigevil
08-10-2017, 01:05 PM
often as we would like.

lol at banned

LOL. Ya, that was a great first post. :p

Hakry
08-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Quick update for everyone since I know everyone is waiting patiently... recovery attempts are still continuing, we aren't giving up yet. We've had some success with some of the smaller database files, but the largest and most important database is just over 300gb in size and it's giving us the most trouble. The file size means each recovery attempt we run can take at least 5-10 hours depending on the type of recovery we're running, so it's largely a waiting game each attempt. We'll update further once we've got something new to share. Thanks for the patience everyone.

The continued hard work from all the developers, especially during this time, is very much appreciated.

mikea
08-10-2017, 01:16 PM
A server wiipe would probably bring back a lot of old players :)

arligan
08-10-2017, 01:30 PM
A server wiipe would probably bring back a lot of old players :)

Yeah, including me. But I'd also feel sorry for people who invested a lot of time.

Otislorx
08-10-2017, 01:42 PM
lol right

Psykikk
08-10-2017, 01:55 PM
kind of teasing.. you can look , but not touch.

ebayne
08-10-2017, 02:16 PM
I've been playing for a while now and have been grinding many profs across a lot of characters on 3 accounts.

"Life is hard; it's harder when you're stupid."
--Plato

flugel76
08-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Your salt is astounding. Youre probably one of those people who demands a refund for free services then spends the entire time whining about how their competitors do it SOOOOOOO much better

This community doesn't need that attitude

Well it doesn't really need a bunch of blind, gullible sycophants shilling for what appears to be a total failure of foresight and competence, either.

And you can't can't keep screaming "this is a free service", when this "free service" operates on donations made in good faith to maintain the hardware, and to prevent a catastrophic event such as a double hard drive failure from possibly happening. I mean, I could (and do) expect something like that from the smaller servers out there, but you can't deny that this one is a little (a lot) better funded than those.

Sure, it could be just an unhappy coincidence. But a wipe on the most competently-run and well-funded server within mere days of a wipe on not one, but two other of the biggest satellite EMU projects? Right on the very eve of the publish that everyone (including the thousands who haven't logged into Basilisk in years) has been eagerly awaiting? I'm sorry, but the odds of that being a coincidence are more than a trillion-to-one.

Like I said, I don't mind a wipe. But I do mind having smoke blown up my butt. And if it were just me feeling this right now, then yeah, I could understand being accused of being an entitled whiner. But it's not just me. Read all the comments, not just the ones that align with your narrative and argument. Something is fishy about this.

And as for the person who asked why I'm even commenting since I don't play on Basilisk, let me tell you something. I'm just as curious and interested about this project as you are, and just because you log in 2 toons and turn on /afk macros every day doesn't give you any more entitlement to post here than me or anyone else.

zazano
08-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Bring back pub 7 loot plz

Bakestick
08-10-2017, 03:05 PM
often as we would like.
Maybe I could even get to have a city on tattooine instead of Lok then!DID he really say he's been grinding toons on three accounts....

Yep, me too. Master Artisan (x2), Master Architect, Master Tailor, Master Merchant, Master Doctor (x2), (almost) Master Ranger, Master Pistoleer, Master TKA, Master Fencer
Master Image Designer (x3), Master Musician, Master Dancer (x3), Master Chef, Master Scout (x2), Master Medic (x3 I think), (almost) Master Politician. I will lose a lot of
work on building up all those characters, plus all the crafted stuff I have created (enough to build a spare city or two on my architect for instance), and the progress I had
on a few other professions. So I will be disappointed if they can't restore everything for sure, but on the other hand its a test server in the end, even if it feels like a regular
server, so I will adapt and overcome if I have to start all over again :PWHat him too?

Lostphoenix
08-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Announcing a possible wipe without knowing if it needs to be wiped seems really odd. Especially knowing how divided the community is over it, and how many years that players have been asking for it. I mean, wouldn't you want to make damn sure first before getting your community all worked up over nothing but a few days of downtime if that's all that comes of it?

This is probably how SOE *lost* their old Pre-CU code.
more information is preferable to less. Without updates there would be so much speculation with little to no fact. threads blaming everything from hardware malfunctions to ninja attacks would be sprouting up like weeds. I thank the dev team for keeping us informed

kawflin
08-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Not sure why they would wipe if they have "routine backups" as stated in the post about the hard drive failure. They could just restore one of the more recent "routine backups".

kendux1
08-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Not sure why they would wipe if they have "routine backups" as stated in the post about the hard drive failure. They could just restore one of the more recent "routine backups".

Looks like they only do the "routine backup" only before they are going to do the merge and the HDD failed, apparently they don't have other backups to restore.

shadow2kx
08-10-2017, 03:49 PM
more information is preferable to less. Without updates there would be so much speculation with little to no fact. threads blaming everything from hardware malfunctions to ninja attacks would be sprouting up like weeds. I thank the dev team for keeping us informed

That's the thing. There is no real information beyond the server being down. That's all they had to say. Hey, there's an issue with the merge, server will be down a few days. Will update when we have more information.

What would we speculate? A wipe? They've already done that for us, and look at the nonsense that gets posted in response.

I mean, they've upset people who think they're going to lose everything. And if it doesn't wipe, they'll have upset people who have wanted a wipe for years. There was literally nothing to gain by announcing a possibility of a wipe if it isn't going to actually happen.

I've gotten the impression that they keep all their backups on the same drives. I mean, if they had another drive with an older backup, they wouldn't be announcing the possibility of a wipe. They'd know they have an older DB to work with.

Lostphoenix
08-10-2017, 03:57 PM
That's the thing. There is no real information beyond the server being down. That's all they had to say. Hey, there's an issue with the merge, server will be down a few days. Will update when we have more information.

What would we speculate? A wipe? They've already done that for us, and look at the nonsense that gets posted in response.

I mean, they've upset people who think they're going to lose everything. And if it doesn't wipe, they'll have upset people who have wanted a wipe for years. There was literally nothing to gain by announcing a possibility of a wipe if it isn't going to actually happen.

we know that the hardware took a S***, we know that a wipe is possible, we know quite a lot. again, accurate information is preferable to inaccurate info...which the forums would be rife with had there been no official announcement

chen-
08-10-2017, 04:01 PM
we know that the hardware took a S***, we know that a wipe is possible, we know quite a lot. again, accurate information is preferable to inaccurate info...which the forums would be rife with had there been no official announcement

yep. people just like something to be riled up over.

wipe hype 2017!

bunny232
08-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Imo a wipe would not be that bad, plus there would be a rush for jedi which would gather a bunch of players around the themeparks.

Misk Brebran
08-10-2017, 04:24 PM
FYI - i know the server is loading for db verification from the update post by Miztah this morning at 620ish...i received a couple galaxy harvester notifications at 1049.

EmpiresFinest
08-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Cool, Thanks for the updates and honesty.

Jaws
08-10-2017, 04:54 PM

As Ivo said earlier - don't get excited about the loading indicator on the client. They're loading some test dbases - not the shiny we all know and love.

FYI - i know the server is loading for db verification from the update post by Miztah this morning at 620ish...i received a couple galaxy harvester notifications at 1049.

Nothing's been posted to GH since yesterday. The notification emailer on GH has been notoriously laggy for months now - giving alerts to things that have been up for days in some cases.

Edbacca
08-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Wipe would kind of be like being married with kids!! Being married with kids is amazing, fun, great , fulfilling, one the greatest things I have done in life, but at same time it is hard, crazy, annoying, difficult and a straight up pain in the ***! Wipe would give me the same mixed emotions! I remember starting live in 2003, running groups out to squill cave for xp. Fun stufg

Serrabell
08-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Whatever the devs decide to do I'm for, they created my playground from the ashes of sonys incompetence and I will be forever grateful for that

I agree with Folky here, thank you :)

bannazzir
08-10-2017, 05:00 PM
I think it should wipe and made the suncrush server oficially online with all the data we have now, and never wipe it again
But please, make sure it won't occur again, or probably all of us will left out it.
Thks, it's my opinion.
Good luck

bigevil
08-10-2017, 05:09 PM
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/images/Styles/Blackend/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Folky http://www.swgemu.com/forums/images/Styles/Blackend/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1431223#post1431223) Whatever the devs decide to do I'm for, they created my playground from the ashes of sonys incompetence and I will be forever grateful for that

I agree with Folky here, thank you :)

Ya, me too. Nova/Lib/Bas have been my backyard for years. I spend sixty bucks a shot for a handful of games a year that I don't touch after six weeks. Including live, this game has a solid 15ish years of my life with it.

Serrabell
08-10-2017, 05:25 PM

Thanks so much for the updates :)

Fissile
08-10-2017, 05:39 PM
ooooh it's locked....but what is locked...a fresh server, a corrupted one...or...just freaking maybe....basilisk as we know and love?!

Jervin
08-10-2017, 05:44 PM
DID he really say he's been grinding toons on three accounts....

WHat him too?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Now comes the no wipe, just banned punch line.

palaxe
08-10-2017, 05:51 PM
honestly, I'm good with what ever... Just happy for the work devs have put it in.
I've made a project of my own with unity and and I see how much work they have put into
this... Thanks

Ra1led
08-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Well it doesn't really need a bunch of blind, gullible sycophants shilling for what appears to be a total failure of foresight and competence, either.

And you can't can't keep screaming "this is a free service", when this "free service" operates on donations made in good faith to maintain the hardware, and to prevent a catastrophic event such as a double hard drive failure from possibly happening. I mean, I could (and do) expect something like that from the smaller servers out there, but you can't deny that this one is a little (a lot) better funded than those.

Sure, it could be just an unhappy coincidence. But a wipe on the most competently-run and well-funded server within mere days of a wipe on not one, but two other of the biggest satellite EMU projects? Right on the very eve of the publish that everyone (including the thousands who haven't logged into Basilisk in years) has been eagerly awaiting? I'm sorry, but the odds of that being a coincidence are more than a trillion-to-one.

Like I said, I don't mind a wipe. But I do mind having smoke blown up my butt. And if it were just me feeling this right now, then yeah, I could understand being accused of being an entitled whiner. But it's not just me. Read all the comments, not just the ones that align with your narrative and argument. Something is fishy about this.

And as for the person who asked why I'm even commenting since I don't play on Basilisk, let me tell you something. I'm just as curious and interested about this project as you are, and just because you log in 2 toons and turn on /afk macros every day doesn't give you any more entitlement to post here than me or anyone else.

Dude, the money goes to the rental of the hardware from providers. The dev team has no physical access to any of the 3 locations at which the login server, basilisk and nova are hosted. TheAnswer lives in Europe ffs, while all 3 servers used are in the USA. It's really not their fault, not difficult to understand. Get over it

Loc-nar
08-10-2017, 06:24 PM

Just like in grade school you have to show your work to get credit!! So, at this point you're getting a big fat zero!!!

Tyrson
08-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Just like in grade school you have to show your work to get credit!! So, at this point you're getting a big fat zero!!!

Did you just say something without including 1/10 or 10/10? I don't like it! 1/10. Wouldn't point out again.

Avelek
08-10-2017, 06:26 PM

Go back and read your posts from the last 3 years and tell me why I should care about anything you have to say. Angry little man lol

flugel76
08-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Go back and read your posts from the last 3 years and tell me why I should care about anything you have to say. Angry little man lol

I'm not asking you to care. I bet you'll care if it turns out to be true though.

And I hope it's not. I hope I'm wrong. But you simply cannot deny, whether you care or not, that it's just too big a coincidence to not be suspect.

At any rate, it's a lesson to everyone involved with this project. If the official EMU server can "accidentally" wipe......then ANY server can "accidentally" wipe. So don't be fooled by anyone who tries to tell you "our server will NEVER wipe".

Peak
08-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Is it that crazy to accept that the kind of backups you'd expect to protect a live server just weren't (justifiably at that) a priority on a TEST server that we've known would eventually be wiped anyways?

bunny232
08-10-2017, 06:45 PM
I think the issue is that most people have gotten used to bask, and have forgotten that it is just a test server.
I would think of this as a early access game, nova would be like a nightly build, bask would be the game, and suncrusher would be the final product. Expect changes some may like them some may not.
Edit:
We don't even know if this downage caused the server to wipe, bask is currently locked

Vlada
08-10-2017, 06:48 PM

https://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1294528155051_a.png

Loc-nar
08-10-2017, 06:48 PM

Did you just say something without including 1/10 or 10/10? I don't like it! 1/10. Wouldn't point out again.

BIG FAT ZERO OF TEN, would never grade again!

edit - don't mess with Vlada, he's out of cocaine and donations are at an all time low because of Dev Island and the price of hookers has outpaced donations as well.

sugarlizard
08-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Good lord the paranoid types are out in full force. I wholly get that a good percentage of our population range from socially awkward to autism spectrum to flat out mental illness, but sometimes it's hard not to want to grab these people by the shoulders and scream "SNAP OUT OF IT!" The sheer amount of entitlement and paranoid delusions both on the forums and on the community discord is quite staggering.

GiStaak
08-10-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm not asking you to care. I bet you'll care if it turns out to be true though.

And I hope it's not. I hope I'm wrong. But you simply cannot deny, whether you care or not, that it's just too big a coincidence to not be suspect.

At any rate, it's a lesson to everyone involved with this project. If the official EMU server can "accidentally" wipe......then ANY server can "accidentally" wipe. So don't be fooled by anyone who tries to tell you "our server will NEVER wipe".

Your argument has merit, but equally, if you're pushing the most anticipated publish possibly since the start of this project, you want a lot of people to test it and give feedback ASAP. Wiping the server is going to delay feedback by months.

I reckon that just as many people will come back to the game for Pub 9 as would do for a server wipe, so I get the feeling its in the best interests of the devs in moving this project forward to restore the databases, rather than some ulterior motive to wipe the server. My belief is that they told us a wipe was possible was more of a 'full disclosure' type deal to be transparent with us that it is a possible option if the databases are not recoverable.

flugel76
08-10-2017, 06:54 PM
"meh, schtick happens, what can you do? We do this for free by the way, if we haven't mentioned that in the past fifteen minutes. Honestly what's the big deal? It's just a test server". And that is really condescending and off-putting.

/shrug I mean it's your project, you can do what you want to with it. I just don't know why you would actively go out of your way to make yourselves look so bad on the eve of Publish 9.

Bakestick
08-10-2017, 06:55 PM
Good lord the paranoid types are out in full force. I wholly get that a good percentage of our population range from socially awkward to autism spectrum to flat out mental illness, but sometimes it's hard not to want to grab these people by the shoulders and scream "SNAP OUT OF IT!" The sheer amount of entitlement and paranoid delusions both on the forums and on the community discord is quite staggering.I thought I was the only one psychotic!!!

Tyrson
08-10-2017, 06:55 PM
BIG FAT ZERO OF TEN, would never grade again!

You just said big fat zero, how I was supposed to know it was out of ten!? It could have been 0 out 5 or 0 out of -10! Or 0 out of -pi to i. I didn't know!

BlackStarWizard
08-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Huge thanks to everyone on the team for the work you're putting in to fix this!!

Also thanks for keeping us updated :)

Serrabell
08-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Good lord the paranoid types are out in full force. I wholly get that a good percentage of our population range from socially awkward to autism spectrum to flat out mental illness, but sometimes it's hard not to want to grab these people by the shoulders and scream "SNAP OUT OF IT!" The sheer amount of entitlement and paranoid delusions both on the forums and on the community discord is quite staggering.

This.... :)

Kayria
08-10-2017, 07:02 PM
for those that are the tech savvy i need not say anything further...but for those of you speculating that it was an alterior motive behind a "possible wipe" here, take a look at this,
https://thedatarescuecenter.com/blog/warning-signs-and-symptoms-of-hard-drive-failure/
hdd's fail...common knowledge..when they fail is not recognizable, as you cant really test it yeah you can test its integrity and there are warning signs but hey ...
whats more important instead of placing blame or the continued complaints against a "possible wipe" is the fact that this is a community, they are the dev's and they are trying to help us have
what we once had..which was the recreation of a galaxy far far away, LIVE, many of us came from there, and many of us are hard core swg'er's , i applaud all the swgemu tema has given us and are
working towards...just give em a break ...take it one minute at a time and hey **** happens all the time, its just like driving down the road and you end up with a flat tire, you cant place blame or complain about
the maker not making a good enuf tire or the road having a pothole...*throws up hands in disgust....
old wise man once say .... it will no hold water if it has a hole in it....think about that for a moment

justindie
08-10-2017, 07:03 PM
I pray for a server wipe so its worth my while to come back.

PigGeneral
08-10-2017, 07:19 PM

I love how the moderator reply to "why isn't there any backups? why is a single raid-array considered the only redundancy solution? Are other solutions being considered?" when the core part of said free service is data, is condescension.

Really sets the tone for why skeptical players should donate.

Fissile
08-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Can we just ban user comments and keep it fresh for mods/Devs to post updates on the free service and how it is going. Trawling thru rage is getting tiresome.

Locked still, good lock? Bad lock? What's happening?

chen-
08-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Can we just ban user comments and keep it fresh for mods/Devs to post updates on the free service and how it is going. Trawling thru rage is getting tiresome.

Locked still, good lock? Bad lock? What's happening?

ya, id vote for 1 thread thats just official info. none of this knee jerk crap from the masses. there are plenty of other thread/places for that.

and i for one think vlada's meme was spot on. as usual

Edbacca
08-10-2017, 07:29 PM
I love Vlada!

GiStaak
08-10-2017, 07:32 PM
I love how the moderator reply to "why isn't there any backups? why is a single raid-array considered the only redundancy solution? Are other solutions being considered?" when the core part of said free service is data, is condescension.

Really sets the tone for why skeptical players should donate.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Thianraven
08-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Falls off my chair laughing. Good one Vlada!

Numtjok
08-10-2017, 07:47 PM

Who is trying to fool anyone though?

waynea
08-10-2017, 07:48 PM
ya, id vote for 1 thread thats just official info. none of this knee jerk crap from the masses. there are plenty of other thread/places for that.

and i for one think vlada's meme was spot on. as usual

I vote for this.^ Hell with all the boot licking and dev bashing alike. i just want to see the updates on the situation. Lets move on either way. I got about as much to loose as anyone. I am M&M ARMOR MUGGY AND MUGANE. Bring the wipe if need be. I have totally understood from day 1 i am just a tester and the server could be wiped at any given time whether its by accident or on purpose

IxeStarwind
08-10-2017, 07:53 PM
i kind of hope there is a wipe , everyone on even playing field will be nice. I stand to lose a few years of playing time and millions of credits and loot , but I'll gladly sacrifice it for a clean wipe .

I do feel the HD backup thing is kind of a let down , being an IT guy , there really isn't much excuse for this happening . USB drives are cheap , amazon S3 cloud storage is about 50$ a month for 2 TB ... but hey its a free project , and I don't run it so there is that.

kalindrel
08-10-2017, 07:54 PM

You should be a movie critic for a living, because clearly you arent unhappy enough with your life, or the world at large. Willing to bet almost everyone here would come to terms with a wipe whether it be accidental or on purpose in probably 2 hours on login. Sure we'd be disappointed but just being alive in the community again would dispel all of that. That is something you clearly never had the opportunity to experience or you wouldnt be this bitter. Make some friends dude

Vlada
08-10-2017, 08:01 PM
We are in the process of making sure the DB loaded correctly everyone be patient.

Fissile
08-10-2017, 08:02 PM
We are in the process of making sure the DB loaded correctly everyone be patient.

As I said, best April fool in august Ive ever known

Kayria
08-10-2017, 08:02 PM
*holds onto the arms of the chair waiting....bas is up ...kinda...*waits patiently....

drake groth
08-10-2017, 08:03 PM

Yeah i dont get all the pitchforks being waived around, it was made very clear from the start that Basilisk is a test server. There were no planned wipes, but that doesn't mean there wont be any. Heck they may not even lose the data anyway. I have seen a lot of people who have the most to lose on the server being very accepting to whatever happens. Im due to lose one of the server best weapons and if Basilisk wipes it wipes, no need to grab my pitchfork. We can still rebuild our lego kingdom, this can even be a "practice" run for when Suncrusher launches.

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 08:05 PM
10:05 AM Thursday HAST time zone (Hawaii Time) Login server let me in but I am unable to connect to the galaxy...

Kayria
08-10-2017, 08:06 PM

*points up ...pay attention...*prays it loads correctly

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Wipe it ! Wipe it ALL (including names) I Say !!!

Loc-nar
08-10-2017, 08:09 PM
Wipe it ! Wipe it ALL (including names) I Say !!!

Only accounts made in Mar of 2011 and from the Big Island!!

3/10 would delete again!

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 08:15 PM
I have been through several wipes with this project. This server is LONG OVERDUE to be wiped again.

kalindrel
08-10-2017, 08:15 PM

Agreed, also hi sugar! former Scylla Imperial resident of Fort Yukon

(assuming youre the original :D)

Varazi
08-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Question : How are people getting on Basalisk atm? ( I see 60+ ) Do I need to delete a character and make a new one? i know this takes 24 hours though :(

I am also in the SWG discord i found online.
Or PM me on discord " itsVarazi#5179 " with the its included.

Thanks Much! Look forward to a wipe tho. hope thats a thing. ^^

Quick
08-10-2017, 08:19 PM
See the server online with 57 players (THANKS) and my characters all seem to be there but I canmot connect.

Is there a patch or anything to download for this update?

Thanks again

Tyrson
08-10-2017, 08:20 PM
I am also in the SWG discord

I wish I was in that too.

http://i.imgur.com/OeJQKVp.png

Silque
08-10-2017, 08:21 PM
I think we need to wait a while. People trying to connect could be the reason we're seeing people listed
online on the Bas server?

Pack-
08-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Great work, everything you do for us is appreciated. Wipe or no wipe, hooray for another milestone!

zarrik
08-10-2017, 08:23 PM
A fresh start sounds fun to me. Can we get rid of ADK's while we are at it?

Occam's razor should help those thinking this is part of some sort of strange pseudo-malicious convoluted scheme on the part of the developers.

pie123
08-10-2017, 08:29 PM
The population on Basilisk is slowly rising, but yet I'm still unable to join; weird

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 08:29 PM
I have been through several wipes with this project. This server is LONG OVERDUE to be wiped again. WIPE IT ! WIPE IT ALL (including name db) I SAY !!!
We NEED a COMPLETELY fresh (re)start.

lavender
08-10-2017, 08:31 PM
The population on Basilisk is slowly rising, but yet I'm still unable to join; weird
When it was only about 20 online, I got to the full loading window and after some time while the window was still up, I heard my character coughing. I'm guessing that's why it's showing all those connections online.

Varazi
08-10-2017, 08:32 PM
I can 100% agree with a good Wipe. That would bring back many people, and honestly its way more fun.

Anyone who is online (basalisk) can you confirm its wiped? or still the same ol?

Zyrious
08-10-2017, 08:34 PM
I can 100% agree with a good Wipe. That would bring back many people, and honestly its way more fun.

Anyone who is online (basalisk) can you confirm its wiped? or still the same ol?

I was able to log in to the character select screen and my character was still there and wearing all of his gear. Looks like the DB may be intact and our characters are thankfully safe for another day, but who knows.

hybridtheory
08-10-2017, 08:37 PM
I was able to log in to the character select screen and my character was still there and wearing all of his gear. Looks like the DB may be intact and our characters are thankfully safe for another day, but who knows.

That data is stored on your PC I believe.

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 08:38 PM
I believe the character select screen is on the "Login Server" and not on the Basilisk server and therefore is a different db. (which should be wiped clean as well!)

northy2k4
08-10-2017, 08:38 PM
i would agree with hybrid, if you dont play for ages and log in your chars are always naked

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 08:41 PM
OMG it let me in !!

Varazi
08-10-2017, 08:42 PM
So would we need to delete characters to make room for new ones? (if there was a wipe).

I know there is like a 24 hour limit on creation tho.
If I can recall, there is a 10 character limit?

Zyrious
08-10-2017, 08:44 PM
i would agree with hybrid, if you dont play for ages and log in your chars are always naked

I was under the impression that the login server only had basic info, but i'm not sure. The login screen had my characters location and my gear, whereas iirc usually during downtimes on live or with db issues it would list your location as "unknown" and your character would be bald/naked.

Beda
08-10-2017, 08:44 PM
When it was only about 20 online, I got to the full loading window and after some time while the window was still up, I heard my character coughing. I'm guessing that's why it's showing all those connections online.
That's the sound of your character slowly dying. The end is near

lavender
08-10-2017, 08:47 PM
OMG it let me in !!
Don't know whether to believe you, but can you tell how old the backup restored is based on your character's possessions or location?

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 08:48 PM
OK, I am in (on Endor, where I was last) My inventory appears unchanged, I can sample resources. I have new mail, but I am unable to download it.

lavender
08-10-2017, 08:49 PM
OK, I am in (on Endor, where I was last) My inventory appears unchanged, I can sample resources. I have new mail, but I am unable to download it.
When were you last online?

jimmy
08-10-2017, 08:50 PM
The force was to strong with this one!

Kayria
08-10-2017, 08:52 PM
*listens to the calming swg music as she falls asleep...moments later realizing shes still trying to connect to the login server....hmmm...

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Last online for the last shutdown. This toon was logged in and pulling up ore while afk.

Cartomancer
08-10-2017, 09:00 PM
No wipe, why even live?

jimmy
08-10-2017, 09:01 PM
“I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.”

Ra1led
i kind of hope there is a wipe , everyone on even playing field will be nice. I stand to lose a few years of playing time and millions of credits and loot , but I'll gladly sacrifice it for a clean wipe .

I do feel the HD backup thing is kind of a let down , being an IT guy , there really isn't much excuse for this happening . USB drives are cheap , amazon S3 cloud storage is about 50$ a month for 2 TB ... but hey its a free project , and I don't run it so there is that.

Um, they have no access to the machines outside of logins...these are hosted machines by hosting companies. Sigh

boruma
*listens to the calming swg music as she falls asleep...moments later realizing shes still trying to connect to the login server....hmmm...

ive got the same problem. cant get into the log in server now. so cant even do nova now.

Vlada
08-10-2017, 09:08 PM
ive got the same problem. cant get into the log in server now. so cant even do nova now.

Disabled on purpose.

Lostphoenix
08-10-2017, 09:09 PM
From what I read on discord, the login server was taken down (I assume so they dont get swamped) I also assume that WHEN its fixed they will be happy to announce it. just a hunch

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Online now. Summary: Inventory ok, able to sample resources, bank working ok with existing balances ok, unable to download new mail, unable to purchase a travel ticket at the starport...

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 09:11 PM
oops, now I am off and back at the login server...

Lostphoenix
Online now. Summary: Inventory ok, able to sample resources, bank working ok with existing balances ok, unable to download new mail, unable to purchase a travel ticket at the starport...
good news

Kayria
that explains that...thank vlada

Jaws
08-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Disabled on purpose.

Thank you again for the continued updates. I had a ray of sunshine seeing the game up with 80ish people on it.

Lostphoenix
08-10-2017, 09:19 PM
from discord:

<•TA> Victor Popovici the data seems somehow valid, still not conclusive
16:16 server loaded and i could zone in, cities and my char seemed fine
16:17 now i have to remotely back up everything again
New messages
16:17 fix the ssds, load bas again
16:17 check with more players if everything is ok
from IRC
if you were able to log in, might want to get on irc or pm TA on the forums about it and give sincere info
the better, legit, non trolling info he gets, the better

Jaws
08-10-2017, 09:24 PM
from discord:

<•TA> Victor Popovici the data seems somehow valid, still not conclusive
16:16 server loaded and i could zone in, cities and my char seemed fine
16:17 now i have to remotely back up everything again
New messages
16:17 fix the ssds, load bas again
16:17 check with more players if everything is ok
from IRC
if you were able to log in, might want to get on irc or pm TA on the forums about it and give sincere info
the better, legit, non trolling info he gets, the better

From somebody not on discord - thank you for posting that I'll do that when bas it back up and unlocked again.

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 09:36 PM
OK, I have made myself a large cardboard sign which says "WIPE IT ! WIPE IT ALL !! WIPE IT NOW!!!" and I am going down to my local park to join the other crazy people with their signs (Not My President, Stop Abortions, Nuke N. Korea, etc...)

Kayria
08-10-2017, 09:39 PM
OK, I have made myself a large cardboard sign which says "WIPE IT ! WIPE IT ALL !! WIPE IT NOW!!!" and I am going down to my local park to join the other crazy people with their signs (Not My President, Stop Abortions, Nuke N. Korea, etc...)

may i join you? we can have a bbq, a few beers and talk about how the world is raping us of our freedoms and entitlements? lmao

rwp389
08-10-2017, 09:39 PM
And thats why we all love the VLADA BURN

Figmo
08-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Deeew Eeet! A wipe would be great for those new players that might be just starting on EMU -

With that said, I hope all goes well in your search for that bad code!!

Figmo!

Lostphoenix
08-10-2017, 09:53 PM
more from discord:

RisenAngel - Today at 4:25 PM
To clarify a bit, Basilisk is up but still in the process of validating the integrity of most of the database objects. The server is currently running through our backup HDD's, which is causing the server's loading to take a lot longer than it normally would on SSD's. We shut down the login server because any actions triggered on Bas will delay the database check, and it's going to take long enough as it is.

The good news is, the server didn't explode using the recovered database. There's no current bad news, but as of right now, that's the only good news. We still have to verify that all of the objects in the database are actually valid and load properly, and it will take time. The possibility of a wipe still remains if we find too much corrupted data. Time will tell, but in the meantime you'll see Basilisk go online and offline multiple times, but you won't be able to access it. Those still connected will not be able to reconnect when they disconnect, and in the interest of getting this testing done as quickly as possible, they should disconnect on their own anyway.

ahdinko
08-10-2017, 09:54 PM
To me, a wipe would be preferable to getting the data recovered!

papilove
08-10-2017, 09:58 PM
lol @ wanting a wipe , only way i'd be down for a wipe if they cant recover the data but if they can we have to keep going till suncrusher is ready :)

nee2earth
08-10-2017, 09:58 PM
more from discord:

Here's the actual quote...

To clarify a bit, Basilisk is up but still in the process of validating the integrity of most of the database objects. The server is currently running through our backup HDD's, which is causing the server's loading to take a lot longer than it normally would on SSD's. We shut down the login server because any actions triggered on Bas will delay the database check, and it's going to take long enough as it is.

The good news is, the server didn't explode using the recovered database. There's no current bad news, but as of right now, that's the only good news. We still have to verify that all of the objects in the database are actually valid and load properly, and it will take time. The possibility of a wipe still remains if we find too much corrupted data. Time will tell, but in the meantime you'll see Basilisk go online and offline multiple times, but you won't be able to access it. Those still connected will not be able to reconnect when they disconnect, and in the interest of getting this testing done as quickly as possible, they should disconnect on their own anyway.

...from this other thread (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198761&page=2&p=1431587&viewfull=1#post1431587) in Basilisk section.

------

Login server should be UP now btw, for anyone wanting to test anything on TCNova during the interim.

risenangel
08-10-2017, 10:01 PM
more from discord:

RisenAngel - Today at 4:25 PM

that was from Miztah...

edit: oh hi nee. see you said that already.

Hexiss
08-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Would have been better to wipe it now instead of Suncrusher wipe later. Its one of the reasons im not doing the Jedi grind just yet.

sugarlizard
08-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Agreed, also hi sugar! former Scylla Imperial resident of Fort Yukon

(assuming youre the original :D)

It's me :)

Virtul
08-10-2017, 10:03 PM
+1 for wipe

Vlada
08-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Would have been better to wipe it now instead of Suncrusher wipe later. Its one of the reasons im not doing the Jedi grind just yet.

No, no it wouldn't. It would be the exact opposite of better. It would be not better.

wren
08-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Not to support the conspiracy folks or people saying they should have planned better. They planned fine, imho.

I've worked on products and file systems and helped design and build appliances and have shipped and tracked many millions hard drives in a previous work life building storage clusters. Actually the majority of drive failures are trivial to detect and are easily recognizable if you monitor the SMART stats. Most people do not do this. Most IT guys do not do this. Most IT guys look at meaningless metrics or metrics that mean something completely different than what they thought they meant.

As far as spinning disks go, these guys (https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/) with their measly 65k drives mirror quite closely the metrics we kept for failures in our shipped appliances. That old Intel drive group (now known as HGST, and owned by WD who makes crappy drives) still makes the best spinning disk drives in the industry.

SSD failures are different, and far more catastrophic when they fail. Spinners are typically quite easy to recover data in failure, but it depends on the failure. There were only about .001% of our failed drives in that previous life that we could not recover the data.

Here are your 5 key SMART metrics to monitor for spinning disks: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2846009/the-5-smart-stats-that-actually-predict-hard-drive-failure.html
For SSD's you look at different SMART stats, here is a good place to start with these: https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2013/05/monitoring-ssd-performance/

Its very simple and there are many ways to create an alert when certain thresholds are hit and you know you should replace the drive soon.

Now you know, knowledge is power, use it wisely.

One other comment a few mentioned using S3 or something similar. I think S3 would be a horrendous choice. Apparently you never pay the bills for that or ran a high transaction service using S3 as your storage without some form of caching in between S3 and the server itself or the clients accessing that storage.

AWS nickles and dimes you for many things that you wouldn't expect and most other cloud providers do not charge for. There are ways around that but it involves some creative architectural changes to your infrastructure or service design. 50 a month for 2TB, lol. I ran a test a while ago that cost 20k dollars for 1 month and only used 2 TB of S3 and about 10TB of bandwidth over that month. The don't just charge you for space and bandwidth. They also charge for the number of GETS over a certain threshold and a few other things if you hit those limits. You need to understand your storage workflow before using S3 otherwise you may get an unexpected bill.

birdmanyo
08-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Wipe it.. wipe it good

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 10:15 PM
I don't understand people who cling to the current db as if it were some kind of universal truth. This project is a "work in progress", there have been several wipes in the past and we KNOW that there will be wipes in the future. RELAX, it's all just zeros and ones...

zazano
08-10-2017, 10:19 PM
keep your facts and science to yourself nerd

Ryjarob
08-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Something something ... wipe . Something something .... COMPLETE

Buuz Ound
08-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Thanks for everyone's hard work 👍

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 10:41 PM
As somebody who wrote his first application on a Univac 1108 in 1973 (stored on a drum, not a disk) I recommend everybody here read post# 384 by Wren to get an idea of how modern storage hardware works.

Crazzienes
08-10-2017, 10:45 PM
No, no it wouldn't. It would be the exact opposite of better. It would be not better.

ok so this cracked me up.. as do most of your posts, but could you tell us why it would be bad?

freaksabound
08-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Something something ... wipe . Something something .... COMPLETE

Agreed

Sugin
08-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Wipe it out... execute order 66

drake groth
08-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Wipe it out... execute order 66

Pick one, you can't have both.

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Read posts #386 and #384

Mistress Aerea
08-10-2017, 11:15 PM
ok so this cracked me up.. as do most of your posts, but could you tell us why it would be bad?

Because Basilisk is essentially 2 things:

1) A giant database.

2) A long-term stress test.

If you remove the data from the database (I.e. wipe), you undermine the ability to stress the database under long-term extreme conditions. The more data kept for the longest time possible allows for the most rigorous test of the server, which is what Basilisk is - a test server.

Scrapster
08-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Because Basilisk is essentially 2 things:

1) A giant database.

2) A long-term stress test.

If you remove the data from the database (I.e. wipe), you undermine the ability to stress the database under long-term extreme conditions. The more data kept for the longest time possible allows for the most rigorous test of the server, which is what Basilisk is - a test server.

You can prove anything with facts!

thokep
08-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Can I have everyone's stuff?

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 11:43 PM
I spent 35 years of my career designing and analyzing 3-dimensional relational databases in the "Pick" environment. It has been my experience that if your code is unstable it will become obvious pretty quickly, usually within a few weeks. If your db is still uncorrupted after 6 months you can sleep well at night, if it's still solid after 18 months you are wasting your time by worrying about it and should be working on other aspects of your project. How long has it been since Basilisk was last wiped ? Several years I believe…

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 11:45 PM
It's time to clear out the junk from the past and give your testers (and your db) a fresh start.

Mistress Aerea
08-10-2017, 11:47 PM
There have been multiple instances of bugs on Basilisk that have only been caught because of data well over a year old.

PanGalactic
08-10-2017, 11:52 PM
Let me guess, that was data converted from an older database format and not data produced by the current code.

FWHJames
08-11-2017, 12:17 AM
So do we know if we have to start over yet, or everything is okay.

LadyCierra
08-11-2017, 12:20 AM
We do not know anything yet, as the devs have not updated us yet. They are probably busy looking at the code and doing all they can at this point.

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 12:22 AM
We do not know anything yet, as the devs have not updated us yet. They are probably busy looking at the code and doing all they can at this point.

Literally look at the first post in this thread.

LadyCierra
08-11-2017, 12:26 AM

I mean more updated information, do you find joy in picking on someone. I've read all the updates and posts, have you?

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 12:31 AM
I mean more updated information, do you find joy in picking on someone. I've read all the updates and posts, have you?

The information was literally updated 3 hours ago. That is were they are posting ALL updates on the situation.

Drop the victim act it won't get you far. You asked for a update the is the most up to date post. I will even copy and paste it for you sense your too busy being a victim to read the latest update when you asked for it and were told exactly were it is.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/images/Styles/Blackend/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Miztah http://www.swgemu.com/forums/images/Styles/Blackend/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1431587#post1431587)
To clarify a bit, Basilisk was up but still in the process of validating the integrity of most of the database objects. The server is currently running through our backup HDD's, which is causing the server's loading to take a lot longer than it normally would on SSD's. We shut down the login server because any actions triggered on Bas will delay the database check, and it's going to take long enough as it is.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/images/Styles/Blackend/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Miztah http://www.swgemu.com/forums/images/Styles/Blackend/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1431587#post1431587)

anigre
08-11-2017, 12:31 AM
Many thanks to all of the developers and staff for all of their hard work.
It's really appreciated!

LadyCierra
08-11-2017, 12:36 AM
The information was literally updated 3 hours ago.

Drop the victim act it won't get you far. You asked for a update the is the most up to date post.

I'm not playing the victim act at all, you are misreading me or my posting intentions. No, I didn't ask for an update I was responding to someone else's post.

I'm more than grateful to the emu staff for all the work they've done and are currently doing. I'm very patient and will continue to be for as long as needed.

Darug
08-11-2017, 12:37 AM
As a new player to this game and server I have a biased opinion but I think this update will bring enough of a change in the game that starting fresh and seeing it as a whole new game will be positive for everyone. is gnna be really harsh for those who have built an Empire and put 1000s of hours into it, but hopefully they find some excitement in being a grunt once again. (and picking new names)

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 12:38 AM
I'm not playing the victim act at all, you are misreading me or my posting intentions. No, I didn't ask for an update I was responding to someone else's post.

I'm more than grateful to the emu staff for all the work they've done and are currently doing. I'm very patient and will continue to be for as long as needed.

Hmmmm really not trying to be a victim at all?

Get over yourself buttercup.

The information was literally updated 3 hours ago. That is were they are posting ALL updates on the situation.

LadyCierra
08-11-2017, 12:39 AM

I have no issues with myself, but apparently you do. I feel sorry for the fact that you can't understand my intentions.

PanGalactic
08-11-2017, 12:42 AM
I don't understand people who cling to the current db as if it were some kind of universal truth. This project is a "work in progress", there have been several wipes in the past and we KNOW that there will be wipes in the future. RELAX, it's all just zeros and ones...

Scrapster
08-11-2017, 12:54 AM

Chill out. We can all see you're desperate for a wipe. Just wait and see how it goes. No need to keep repeating yourself.

Dova
08-11-2017, 01:17 AM

Man do you come across as a first class a$$ in a lot of your posts.

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 01:19 AM
Man do you come across as a first class a$$ is a lot of your posts.

You come across like a thin skinned person with weight problems and self esteem issues.

Serrabell
08-11-2017, 01:21 AM

I totally agree, I understood what you meant LadyCierra, this guy likes to give people a hard time, just read through some of his posts.

LadyCierra
08-11-2017, 01:22 AM
I totally agree, I understood what you meant LadyCierra, this guy likes to give people a hard time, just read through some of his posts.

Thank you, I have read some of his posts.

Evil Cyborg 10
08-11-2017, 01:24 AM
Star Wars Galaxies: A community divided.

buellronin
08-11-2017, 01:33 AM

Circumventing the profanity filter is against the top....you r Lucky my I'm not a.moderator.....or I'd strike you down....or at least delete your savage post..clean it up in the future and ull do just fine in here

SLiFeR
08-11-2017, 01:41 AM
This thread pretty much reminds me of the SOE forums which brought us the CU and NGE.

Good players adapt. Doesn't matter if you get your gear back or it gets wiped. Both have pros/cons. Crying will get you nowhere.

FWHJames
08-11-2017, 01:49 AM
I will be honest I just did not want to read all the pages of the post in case I missed something.

buellronin
08-11-2017, 01:50 AM
This thread pretty much reminds me of the SOE forums which brought us the CU and NGE.

Good players adapt. Doesn't matter if you get your gear back or it gets wiped. Both have pros/cons. Crying will get you nowhere.

Weren't u hoping for wipe due to psgs being adked and high DMG weapons? I saw it in the swg discord earlier today...you and wraith were very excited for a wioe

othsaruna
08-11-2017, 02:01 AM
You come across like a thin skinned fatty with self esteem issues.

LOL, This guy goes to Trump rallies.

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 02:09 AM
LOL, This guy goes to Trump rallies.

I bet you go to anything potluck or buffet

waynea
08-11-2017, 02:13 AM
children children

Implementor
08-11-2017, 02:26 AM
Why all the wipe-love?

Everything will be exactly as it is now, in concrete and relative terms, in 6 months.

lurch1313
08-11-2017, 02:37 AM
Just a thought, but i read a few people are REALLY wanting a wipe because the Economy was broken. Is that due to there being 10 character slots vs. the normal 2?
no one HAS to rely on others to proceed, and can "solo" most aspects of the game.

Tho i assume the 10 characters is for server testing and getting the greater number of probabilities the fastest. < ? maybe ?

IF there is a wipe , would you think less toons per account would help the overall game dynamics ?

FWHJames
08-11-2017, 02:39 AM
As long as I can get an advanced Laser Rifle I will be fine with a wipe and for those who do not know it is not just like starting on live again. When Live SWG started there was funny cool things like 100% pvp damage. So if you shot somebody with strafeshot 3 you could one shot kill them. Oh that was funny good times. OH YAH and no stun layers. JAWA IONS FTW

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 02:45 AM
Just a thought, but i read a few people are REALLY wanting a wipe because the Economy was broken. Is that due to there being 10 character slots vs. the normal 2?
no one HAS to rely on others to proceed, and can "solo" most aspects of the game.

Tho i assume the 10 characters is for server testing and getting the greater number of probabilities the fastest. < ? maybe ?

IF there is a wipe , would you think less toons per account would help the overall game dynamics ?

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706

Hedge15
08-11-2017, 02:53 AM
Why do you keep linking to that locked thread? Are you hoping one of the mods will notice?

MortalDanger
08-11-2017, 02:54 AM
Wipe.

Bordiga
08-11-2017, 03:02 AM
Why do you keep linking to that locked thread? Are you hoping one of the mods will notice?

Probably because he makes excellent points and the thread was locked out of blind adherence to forum rules rather than a consideration of productive discussion.

terribleoneace
08-11-2017, 03:05 AM
Anyone who wants a wipe is broke...and guess what...give it a year and you'll be in the same situation. I'd want a wipe too if I were broke and bad at this game.

papilove
08-11-2017, 03:07 AM
Anyone who wants a wipe is broke...and guess what...give it a year and you'll be in the same situation. I'd want a wipe too if I were broke and bad at this game. I wouldnt mind a wipe if they cant give us back bas but if they can i'd like that too :)

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 03:09 AM
Anyone who wants a wipe is broke...and guess what...give it a year and you'll be in the same situation. I'd want a wipe too if I were broke and bad at this game.

I agree other then if they change 10 characters to 2 then I welcome a wipe. I got a rank 4 city and shuttleport and exceptional weapon +multiple adk's to lose, its worth 2 character per account though.

waynea
08-11-2017, 03:12 AM

Even if we get a wipe who said we will get les char slots. I think we will still get 10 slots. we are not playing this game for ourselves we are playing it to test all professions and 10 slots/chars fits the bill atm. I'LL have alot to loose if a wipe occurs so i dont want a wipe unless there is some changes made like adding in more Ackley which was fairly easy to find in live and on several planets including naboo at this period. and cut the 10 char slot to 2 so that alot of the combat afk is minimized. and a wipe will level out the playing field . but i fear that's not going to happen even if we do get a wipe. The only good thing a wipe will do for me personally is ill get to change one of my chars species.

Hedge15
08-11-2017, 03:20 AM
Probably because he makes excellent points and the thread was locked out of blind adherence to forum rules rather than a consideration of productive discussion.
So I guess you're saying a wipe will help the project?

Bordiga
08-11-2017, 03:27 AM
So I guess you're saying a wipe will help the project?

Guess it doesn't need to be a wipe, just limit to two characters and removal of ADK. You tell me how you think that should be implemented without a wipe.

The two characters point in particular, force folks to really work out the details of the niche professions that are currently just alt-bots

Hedge15
08-11-2017, 03:35 AM
Guess it doesn't need to be a wipe, just limit to two characters and removal of ADK. You tell me how you think that should be implemented without a wipe.
No, you tell me what work you've done on the project's development.

Swilliams
08-11-2017, 03:36 AM
Star Wars Galaxies: A community divided.

New expansion?
Final boss is a forum post?

futuramaman
08-11-2017, 03:38 AM
Everybody knew a wipe was coming, but no one knew when. We have been doing the same thing over and over with the same characters over and over again. If they wiped the server upon publish 9 it would make a mad race to Jedi from tons of players as well as a mad race to Jedi killer weapons. I think the players who have the best weapons/armor/loot are afraid that instead of being cozy with their position they will have to play even smarter than before.
Livers and kidneys get weak over time, and smokers lose their life force. Would it really be that bad if the ones that had the easiest time getting to what they perceive to be the top had to try and prove it again? I created my character within 5 minutes of this server's inception, climbed to the top, got bored with the game, took a year or 2 off here and there... Most of the legendary weapons on the server are from the early patches during loot bugs and using exploits, so forgive me if I dismiss your easily attained advantages. LET'S MAKE IT EASIER ON THE DEVS AND ASK FOR A WIPE :)

ebayne
New expansion?
Final boss is a forum post?

Is the quest reward a banhammer?

Bordiga
No, you tell me what work you've done on the project's development.

Zilch. Doesn't reduce the credibility of the criticism, much as I can criticise a football player for making a poor play while simultaneously not being an athlete. The ability to produce content is not the same ability to critique content. The times where such ability precisely aligns is fairly rare and has a special name.

thokep
08-11-2017, 03:46 AM
I would be OK with a wipe too, and broke I am not.

Jervin
08-11-2017, 04:15 AM

Not being broke only matters a small few such yourself. I'm not hating I'm just saying where many people are coming from and being rich is secondary. Many loved this game because of the community it had and hope that if there had to be a wipe, it would bring back some players and fill this place out a little. I personally have always enjoyed the launch of a game because of how it forces people to band together a bit more.

I also understand that from a testing perspective and the project in general, Bas not wiping is what's best and I'm all about whatever makes suncrusher a success when it happens.

futuramaman
08-11-2017, 04:40 AM
Not being broke only matters a small few such yourself. I'm not hating I'm just saying where many people are coming from and being rich is secondary. Many loved this game because of the community it had and hope that if there had to be a wipe, it would bring back some players and fill this place out a little. I personally have always enjoyed the launch of a game because of how it forces people to band together a bit more.

I also understand that from a testing perspective and the project in general, Bas not wiping is what's best and I'm all about whatever makes suncrusher a success when it happens.

Amen to that currently the only in game community is not accessible to most people due to absurd content. This game would be much better if players were in a situation where respecting one another was still a thing.

Edbacca
08-11-2017, 05:02 AM
I'll surf or ski, wipe or not, I will still play. But, I keep hearing "wipe = more community and working together again to build from ground up". I agree, a wipe would make us have to depend on each other, but there is still opportunity for people to work together without a wipe, it's just in a different way. Yes, there are people with high end weapons with tons of credits, but how does that not allow all you to still group up and do things together? Instead of grouping up to do xp runs at the squill caves, you can group up to go outdamage the afk'rs or the kryat farmers. Dam, I know I have had issues with SEM members, DWB members the last few months but they organize and bring groups and compete and its actually fun. I know guys have legendary and exceptional weapons but come on man, she ome people make it sound like there are 50 legendary t21's rolling around and 50 speed capped 1700 damage flamethrowers in the grave yard. I have been beat multiple times by the likes of healsyo, dracun, thepunishers, and others. And I have legit weapons, am I not suppose to use them? Again, I think a wipe is not a terrible thing but crying about guys having great weapons just seems like a crying kid that doesn't get picked to play because he isn't good enough. I would bet many of the guys complaining that there are too many high end weapons would sing a different tune if they had their own legendary or exceptional.

Bakestick
08-11-2017, 05:21 AM
Anyone who wants a wipe is broke...and guess what...give it a year and you'll be in the same situation. I'd want a wipe too if I were broke and bad at this game.HMMMM I Don't care either way.............

Vlada
08-11-2017, 07:06 AM

Same reason why we wouldn't allow anything from Basilisk to be carried over to Suncrusher. I mean, do you really want overpowered ADK'd items that were maybe product of some bug or an exploit that existed during the testing stage to carry over to a permanent play server? Or bazillions of credits that are already ruining the economy? No, everything that happens on test servers must die with those test servers. When we launch a permanent play server, everyone needs to be on even ground and have equal chance so succeed.

barrylw65
08-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Same reason why we wouldn't allow anything from Basilisk to be carried over to Suncrusher. I mean, do you really want overpowered ADK'd items that were maybe product of some bug or an exploit that existed during the testing stage to carry over to a permanent play server? Or bazillions of credits that are already ruining the economy? No, everything that happens on test servers must die with those test servers. When we launch a permanent play server, everyone needs to be on even ground and have equal chance so succeed.

Got to agree with this. :)

aDubble
08-11-2017, 07:43 AM
There is a lot of hype about a possible wipe that is reeling in a lot of old/returning/new players that would love to start on an even playing field.

Maybe you guys want to keep all your epic loot and billions of credits, but I think for the long term growth of SWGEmu and Basilisk in general a wipe would be in the best interest of a majority of the community.

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 07:46 AM
There is a lot of hype about a possible wipe that is reeling in a lot of old/returning/new players that would love to start on an even playing field.

Maybe you guys want to keep all your epic loot and billions of credits, but I think for the long term growth of SWGEmu and Basilisk in general a wipe would be in the best interest of a majority of the community.

A wipe would only help if they reduced the character limit down to 2, otherwise the server will be in the same spot for these players that dont wanna play it now within a year.

DDSilver
08-11-2017, 07:47 AM
The two characters point in particular, force folks to really work out the details of the niche professions that are currently just alt-bots

Wishfull thinking.
The chances are at least equal that the reduced room for experimentation will force people into cookie cutter builds.
While the argument keeps stating that we NEED the niches, this is mostly untrue. And what we do need, a very small amount will suffice to saturate the server.

Also people seem to forget that in live, where one or two character slots allowed for a vibrant and successful economy, those responsible for that economy where running multiple accounts to circumvent that character limitation.
Something that is currently forbidden.

The amount of completely "dedicated" crafters, doctors and dancers where not as high as people seem to remember.
There is no reason to assume they will be today.

With a bit of luck though, there wont be a wipe. And this is a non-issue right now.
Probably best for testing purposes. Which is still what Basilisk is for.

Shame, I was just getting used (and looking forward to) to the idea of a wipe.

Dova
08-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Circumventing the profanity filter is against the top....you r Lucky my I'm not a.moderator.....or I'd strike you down....or at least delete your savage post..clean it up in the future and ull do just fine in here

Been around here a little longer than you but thanks for caring. 8-)

Woha
08-11-2017, 09:57 AM
...I mean, do you really want overpowered ADK'd items that were maybe product of some bug or an exploit that existed during the testing stage...

First I was scared about a wipe because all time and Items were gone... but if I read this I realy think that a wipe would be a great restart...

Tulak_Hord
08-11-2017, 10:47 AM
A wipe would only help if they reduced the character limit down to 2, otherwise the server will be in the same spot for these players that dont wanna play it now within a year.That would be terrible for solo player and mostly afk guilds like my guild :P We can never maintain an improved job market without 10 toons.

Psykikk
08-11-2017, 10:59 AM
when i read that 10 toons helps "testing" it ust cracks me up. I bet most of the people with that many toons are just too impatient to wait on others to help them out.
this whole idea of SWG is to help each other (as long as in the same faction) as well as have a aplayer driven economy.
which is built around supply and demand. right now this balance is broken because mostly, nobody needs anything because most can produce / built / harvest everything themselves.

when playing time becomes a factor of calculating prices again, we will see a much better scenario... at least thats my hope. and if not... ah well. it´s a game.

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Having less characters per account increases the need for niche professions to be mained by a player, like smuggler for example, for 99% of the people on bask that use it, its just a slice bot, logs in to slice, logs out when done, but with 2 characters players will play it as their profession not just a bot, they will play the pistol tree, the will craft the spice, ect they will test the class more thorough then the hundreds of people just using it for a bot to slice their gear, not to mention it would make the profession viable for a player to main as right now nobody needs another player for slicing cause all the crafters have their own.

You can read more up on the Advantages to testing that 2 character limit would offer here: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706

This artical only barley glaces on how much of a play-ability improvement would come to the server as well and mostly focus's on the benefits to testing!

Tulak_Hord
08-11-2017, 11:10 AM
I think the economy (soırry I dont know the economy of precu in live) is just fine since we can farm credits wih missions. If char limit gets reduced who will spare a toon for afk ent doc buffs ? You will not be able to find even buffs when you need them. Btw we are expecting jedis aren't we ? say bb to non jedi pvp

ssjflint
08-11-2017, 11:12 AM
I sure picked a bad time to return to SWGEmu... well, unless there's a wipe. Then it's a good time.

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 11:12 AM
I think the economy (soırry I dont know the economy of precu in live) is just fine since we can farm credits wih missions. If char limit gets reduced who will spare a toon for afk ent doc buffs ? You will not be able to find even buffs when you need them

A lot of ATK doctors have given up on trying to provide buffs cause MULTIPLE automated bots are doing it for free in every major med center, we used to have atk docs in the med centers all the time! Does nobody remember the favorites like selenay?

AFK bots have killed players drive to go out and fill these rolls, before the afk bots were around we had buffs and there will always be people wanting to play that aspect of the game!

Vikko
08-11-2017, 11:20 AM
I don't think you will find any great difficulty getting Ent and Doc buffs, there are players who *like* playing those classes ATK and offering their services. They are not apparent
now because they are lost in a sea of AFK buffbots and have given up on their favourite professions. I know I will have a Entertainer running even if I get only 2 slots to play from.

bigevil
08-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Wow missed lots of overnight shenanigans. :p

As much as I would not mind a wipe as a wasteland loving ranger (think no houses :) ), I think it benefits testing of the jedi implementation to have it survive. Lots of resources and prep were made by dozens if not hundreds for jedi. We can get straight to it faster this way. I love a fresh start too, but we need to stay on target for now. :)

...and I saw the comment of 10 toons for testing as silly, your off course. People have tried dozens of toons and pulled back many issues that would have never been found otherwise. It was necessary, and if the Devs/QAs deem it still, then it should live. We need to put less emphasis on play fun and focus on progress....this from a true community guy like me. :)

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Wow missed lots of overnight shenanigans. :p

As much as I would not mind a wipe as a wasteland loving ranger (think no houses :) ), I think it benefits testing of the jedi implementation to have it survive. Lots of resources and prep were made by dozens if not hundreds for jedi. We can get straight to it faster this way. I love a fresh start too, but we need to stay on target for now. :)

...and I saw the comment of 10 toons for testing as silly, your off course. People have tried dozens of toons and pulled back many issues that would have never been found otherwise. It was necessary, and if the Devs/QAs deem it still, then it should live. We need to put less emphasis on play fun and focus on progress....this from a true community guy like me. :)

10 toons on nova and 2 toons on basilisk problem solved!

Husky101
08-11-2017, 11:31 AM
I don't think you will find any great difficulty getting Ent and Doc buffs, there are players who *like* playing those classes ATK and offering their services. They are not apparent
now because they are lost in a sea of AFK buffbots and have given up on their favourite professions. I know I will have a Entertainer running even if I get only 2 slots to play from.

IMO that's a good reason for why a wipe, and a downsize to 2 chars per acc. actually would even help the developement.. I believe many People are lurking in the shadows, just because they dont want to deal with afk bots. They play the game for the social aspect, also for an economy that used to be like on live. For These People there reallly is no use in playing under current circumstances. So they patiently wait for the actual Server to pop up, not playing the game atm, not helping Progress, not testing and not reporting bugs. I think for many of those, the wipe and the Regulation of 2chars per acc. would be a great deal, they would return to the Server - even if it's not the permanent one yet and help stress test and contribute to finding many more Bugs. More active People = more Progress is how i see it. If uu have many chars on, sure that helps stress testing, but if the 1 Person playing them isnt reporting Bugs, or just logging in afk toons all the time, ist not the same as if 10 People independantly Play. The chances, that 2-3 or even more of these active Players find Bugs and Report them, are way higher. but thats just my opinion. flame away..

Superser
08-11-2017, 11:37 AM
A lot of ATK doctors have given up on trying to provide buffs cause MULTIPLE automated bots are doing it for free in every major med center, we used to have atk docs in the med centers all the time! Does nobody remember the favorites like selenay?

AFK bots have killed players drive to go out and fill these rolls, before the afk bots were around we had buffs and there will always be people wanting to play that aspect of the game!

I agree. But we used to have up to 30k players/server. Basilisk has about 1/10 of that. Consider we had 30 servers...

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 11:41 AM
I agree. But we used to have up to 30k players/server. Basilisk has about 1/10 of that. Consider we had 30 servers...

I am not talking about live I am talking about on basilisk, in the good ol days of 2012-2014 before everything got so automated, sure there was a bot now and then but for the most part people were still active and socializing. Basilisk in those days was only slightly better off population wise then it is now, If there is a role going unfilled players will always strive to fill those rolls it is just in their nature.

Tulak_Hord
08-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Hey yes I remember selenay from tatoonie cantina :) I have an entertainer toon as well named Tavsan. Perhaps you know her an attractive yellow twilek :P she gets nice tips :P Although she gets tips I rarely log her (I have a good afk macro as well) instead I go surveying because login limit is 2. If toon limit was 2 I would go with 1 artisan (weapon+armorsmith for sure) and 1 combat (most likely jedi) toon and never create an entertainer.

Skoimich
08-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Yeah and what happens 6 months to a year later? same thing? Even with 2 toons people have multiple accounts. Abonded house, buff bots epic weapons... I'm afraid that's nature of this game.

And for people saying they want a wipe. It's not up for debate here. Devs clearly said no wipe unless they have too.. And yes I wouldn't want a wipe as I'm a causal player I don't have the luxury of playing all day. Work and children get in the way. :) and I'm sure there's others. And yes I'm aware one day this server will be gone in favour for a final release.

HD failure can happen anytime including on live? Would you all be quick to jump on wanting a wipe?

Jaws
08-11-2017, 12:05 PM
10 toons on nova and 2 toons on basilisk problem solved!

OK ok - we get it. You want a wipe and 2 toons. Can we just leave the thread now for actual updates instead of people pushing their own agendas (yes, i realize the irony of this statement)?

DDSilver
08-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Having less characters per account increases the need for niche professions to be mained by a player, like smuggler for example, for 99% of the people on bask that use it, its just a slice bot, logs in to slice, logs out when done, but with 2 characters players will play it as their profession not just a bot, they will play the pistol tree, the will craft the spice, ect they will test the class more thorough then the hundreds of people just using it for a bot to slice their gear, not to mention it would make the profession viable for a player to main as right now nobody needs another player for slicing cause all the crafters have their own.

You can read more up on the Advantages to testing that 2 character limit would offer here: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706

This artical only barley glaces on how much of a play-ability improvement would come to the server as well and mostly focus's on the benefits to testing!

You keep repeating that as if it is a proven fact, but it is not.
Why would I play smuggler at all?

If I really wanted to slice stuff I can always choose a 0400 if TKM or 0440 if Pistoleer. You know, like people did back in Live.
Cookie cutter build.
How will that help testing?

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Yeah and what happens 6 months to a year later? same thing? Even with 2 toons people have multiple accounts. Abonded house, buff bots epic weapons... I'm afraid that's nature of this game.

And for people saying they want a wipe. It's not up for debate here. Devs clearly said no wipe unless they have too.. And yes I wouldn't want a wipe as I'm a causal player I don't have the luxury of playing all day. Work and children get in the way. :) and I'm sure there's others. And yes I'm aware one day this server will be gone in favour for a final release.

HD failure can happen anytime including on live? Would you all be quick to jump on wanting a wipe?

This is why I purpose adk's be disabled sense they have already been tested and we know they work, and they are preventing us from testing the effects of repairs and breaking legendary/exceptional weapons!

With 2 toons sure some people will multi account but the overall effects will be severely diminished! And it will give testers on basilisk a new way to test that could prove very useful to finding more bugs!

You keep repeating that as if it is a proven fact, but it is not.
Why would I play smuggler at all?

If I really wanted to slice stuff I can always choose a 0400 if TKM or 0440 if Pistoleer. You know, like people did back in Live.
Cookie cutter build.
How will that help testing?

Cause players will play smuggler for more then just slicing when their only character is already a smuggler they will look at the market on spice and say hmm maybe I should make some of that and maybe I should get some of these Smuggler skills, Maybe I will get Master Smuggler! It is in the nature of most players, obviously not you, to complete professions and test them out. With less characters the likelihood of somebody playing smuggler for all of its skill trees to test is much greater then with 10 were it will only be a slice bot to 90% of the community!

Players won't have 10 characters to minmax their builds with, they will have 2 characters to make their dreams come true!

Vikko
08-11-2017, 12:21 PM
I would still rather see 3 characters per account. That would let me have my Crafter, an Entertainer, and a grinding toon to make money to finance the other two.
2 per account is just that much too severe to me.

diclarkio
08-11-2017, 12:27 PM
1 per account would be ideal for me... but I'm realistic about the Emu being able to retain enough players to make that viable. Every character slot you add past 1 reduces the ability for genuine community inter-dependency to flourish.

I can live with 2 for sure. 3 or more is just people wanting to play single player with a chat box IMO.

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 12:30 PM
1 per account would be ideal for me... but I'm realistic about the Emu being able to retain enough players to make that viable. Every character slot you add past 1 reduces the ability for genuine community inter-dependency to flourish.

I can live with 2 for sure. 3 or more is just people wanting to play single player with a chat box IMO.

Agreed

I would still rather see 3 characters per account. That would let me have my Crafter, an Entertainer, and a grinding toon to make money to finance the other two.
2 per account is just that much too severe to me.

Maybe you start out with a combat toon and build up your crafter, then once you got your trade down and your buying and selling and wheeling and dealing your combat character might retire and follow her dream of dancing in the theed cantina in a all alien dance troop!

Just think of the possibility and the storys and experience your ent would have from her previous profession!

shadow2kx
08-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Cause players will play smuggler for more then just slicing when their only character is already a smuggler they will look at the market on spice and say hmm maybe I should make some of that and maybe I should get some of these Smuggler skills, Maybe I will get Master Smuggler! It is in the nature of most players, obviously not you, to complete professions and test them out. With less characters the likelihood of somebody playing smuggler for all of its skill trees to test is much greater then with 10 were it will only be a slice bot to 90% of the community!

Players won't have 10 characters to minmax their builds with, they will have 2 characters to make their dreams come true!

Because we had 10 chars, I screwed around and tested a lot of things I normally wouldn't touch. I rolled a master CH. I rolled a BE Smuggler. I tested the speed of pets. I tested the BE crafting of pets. I tested mask scent and feign death. All things that were changed over the last couple of publishes. Gave feedback that the devs would not have otherwise gotten had I been limited to two chars. Because with two chars, I'd play only what I enjoy, not what needed to be tested and fixed.

Look, I get it. The economy is messed up because of 10 chars. I hate that. It's why I only log onto Bas to test things, and generally play on private servers these days. So on one hand, I'd love a wipe, as I'd come back.

But on the other hand...two chars. I'd have a PvE toon, and a PvP toon. And they wouldn't be testing much of anything. That's just the truth, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

DDSilver
08-11-2017, 12:33 PM

No actually.
If you asked the avarage player back on live to name 5 spices, the most heard answer would be : "What? There are 5?".
People did not play around with spices when they had 2 character slots.
As a result people did not understand spices and smugglers could only sell Muon Gold and Neutron Pixie as those worked a bit like brandy.
I know. I was a smuggler on live.

Why would that work out differently now?

And what is with that sneer? "obviously not you"?

ecp
08-11-2017, 12:34 PM
I do not believe the 'we will be in the same spot after months' if they wipe is true. For casual players sure, you most likely will not notice a huge difference other than waiting longer for particular items. Just like on live there are items in the game that you can no longer acquire at all or in the same method and as easily. First example, I'm sure others could come up with more, is/was the legendary PH(that still around?) that was found on a meatlump with HUGE dmg. I not believe that high of a dmg weapon cannot be found on such a low CL mob now and at that rate currently, please correct me if I am mistaken! Another are the jabba scopes that increase weapon dmg greatly, only people with A LOT of credits can take 90million credit gambles on one item. Patch 7 when they changed exceptional/legendary drop chances, that is HUGE. 1 in 877 chance for an exceptional in publish 7, 1 in 4348 post Pub7.
Just my thoughts, no Wayne Brady /forcechoke.

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Because we had 10 chars, I screwed around and tested a lot of things I normally wouldn't touch. I rolled a master CH. I rolled a BE Smuggler. I tested the speed of pets. I tested the BE crafting of pets. I tested mask scent and feign death. All things that were changed over the last couple of publishes. Gave feedback that the devs would not have otherwise gotten had I been limited to two chars. Because with two chars, I'd play only what I enjoy, not what needed to be tested and fixed.

Look, I get it. The economy is messed up because of 10 chars. I hate that. It's why I only log onto Bas to test things, and generally play on private servers these days. So on one hand, I'd love a wipe, as I'd come back.

But on the other hand...two chars. I'd have a PvE toon, and a PvP toon. And they wouldn't be testing much of anything. That's just the truth, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

No no no you got it all wrong, so you say you tested Smuggler and bh and ch and all that sorta stuff, well what stopped you from testing it on the nova test center? How many more players aren't going to test because they don't want to play on a 10 character server? You See I think you could benifit from some light reading: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706

Some of these guys are having trouble reading the words, they don't do too good at the readin" but I can tell you are obviously above that and will come around to our 2 toon ideology and help spread the word!

No actually.
If you asked the avarage player back on live to name 5 spices, the most heard answer would be : "What? There are 5?".
People did not play around with spices when they had 2 character slots.
As a result people did not understand spices and smugglers could only sell Muon Gold and Neutron Pixie as those worked a bit like brandy.
I know. I was a smuggler on live.

Why would that work out differently now?

And what is with that sneer? "obviously not you"?

Obviously players on the EMU are for more advanced then live players in terms of Knowledge, please come back with at least a good argument!

Vikko
08-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Agreed

Maybe you start out with a combat toon and build up your crafter, then once you got your trade down and your buying and selling and wheeling and dealing your combat character might retire and follow her dream of dancing in the theed cantina in a all alien dance troop!

Just think of the possibility and the storys and experience your ent would have from her previous profession!

Yeah I have done that. My toon Jhonto on live mastered almost all of the professions over time. The problem is I have a plan, and that plan involves certain combinations of professions
Now I can execute that plan if I have enough characters, or I can try to enlist someone else to help me, but the problem is that I play at odd hours of the day due to my work
schedule, so I hope I get sufficient characters to play the game I want to play, rather than having to constantly drop and remaster the same professions again and again. I can live with
two toons but its going to be very inconvenient to me generally speaking. We shall see if a wipe is even necessary, and then no doubt have this exact same combination when
Suncrusher comes live :P

tuahad
08-11-2017, 12:44 PM
going to suck starting over but if it means a level playing field and we all get a chance to kill every mob with out OP players controlling the spawn!

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Yeah I have done that. My toon Jhonto on live mastered almost all of the professions over time. The problem is I have a plan, and that plan involves certain combinations of professions
Now I can execute that plan if I have enough characters, or I can try to enlist someone else to help me, but the problem is that I play at odd hours of the day due to my work
schedule, so I hope I get sufficient characters to play the game I want to play, rather than having to constantly drop and remaster the same professions again and again. I can live with
two toons but its going to be very inconvenient to me generally speaking. We shall see if a wipe is even necessary, and then no doubt have this exact same combination when
Suncrusher comes live :P

I hope they don't have to wipe but in my experience data recovery from down hard drive has never gone well )-=< If they do decide to wipe I am making it my mission in star wars life to try to sway the minds of everyone to lower the toon limit, its more likely they will lower to 5 which isn't good enough! but it is some progress and you really gotta take what you can get!

tuahad
08-11-2017, 12:49 PM
we have a plan to going to try and do something with like 20 of us in guild. your welcome to help us get a working cedits farm machine up and running. we were having everyone level an artizen x/x/x/4 at first start collecting a working resource pile.

DDSilver
08-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Obviously players on the EMU are for more advanced then live players in terms of Knowledge

If you really think that a design choice from 2003 that, considering the amount of people with multiple accounts, did not work so well back then would work without a hitch in 2017.
Well, I beg to differ.

tuahad
08-11-2017, 12:52 PM
well if stress testing the server is the goal then they should let us have 2 afk toons and 2 active ones. by making it so no one can AFK buff for instance then no one can really do anything unless there is an active doctor on line or a entertainer.
if you think someone is going to at the keys a dancer all day your high.

Lostphoenix
08-11-2017, 12:55 PM
OK ok - we get it. You want a wipe and 2 toons. Can we just leave the thread now for actual updates instead of people pushing their own agendas (yes, i realize the irony of this statement)?

Completely agree. 33 pages of jaw-wagging with only like 3 or 4 official updates

hybridtheory
If you really think that a design choice from 2003 that, considering the amount of people with multiple accounts, did not work so well back then would work without a hitch in 2017.
Well, I beg to differ.

What is the amount of multiple accounts, you seem to know? Could you please give us a number? Oh you can't well thanks for your empty statistic.

Vikko
Well, I beg to differ.

Oh no doubt it needs some changes and improvements, but those can only come after they have built the game to 14.1 (or whatever) levels and gotten the whole thing functioning
at that level. Once that happens and we get Suncrusher, I expect we can start seeing what improvements can be made to the game to make it better than the original.
There were problems all along and the original devs made choices to fix those that unfortunately gave us the CU, and further improvements made during the NGE. I didn't like
either of the later versions of course, but there were elements of those that could be added to this version of the game that would be distinct improvements. House packup
comes to mind for instance.

ebayne
08-11-2017, 01:00 PM
I keep seeing a lot of junk about economies and interdependence.

That would mean a lot more if this were a game.

It isn't.

As others have pointed out, this is development exercise disguised as a game, destined to be wiped sooner or later. More knowledgeable folks than me have explained why a wipe isn't Plan A, but it has nothing to do with whether or not people want to buy stuff from other people. Nor is it about preserving (or for that matter, destroying) the status quo for the benefit or convenience of us stress-testers. As far as I know, the "economy" isn't being stress tested. Don't bother arguing that crafting would be tested more thoroughly if there was more of a profit motive, that's magical thinking.

When the project becomes a game, intended to persist and please a community of players instead of testers, then we can get all hot and sweaty about interdependence, and the economy, and all those other meta-games.

In short, the problem isn't implementation, it's a problem of expectations.

shadow2kx
08-11-2017, 01:11 PM
No no no you got it all wrong, so you say you tested Smuggler and bh and ch and all that sorta stuff, well what stopped you from testing it on the nova test center? How many more players aren't going to test because they don't want to play on a 10 character server? You See I think you could benifit from some light reading: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198706

Some of these guys are having trouble reading the words, they don't do too good at the readin" but I can tell you are obviously above that and will come around to our 2 toon ideology and help spread the word!

I use Nova for specific testing of abilites, specials, modifiers. Things you can log in, spec out, and test in a few minutes. That is not through testing of anything. To actually test a profession, you really need to play it. It's why so many bugs make it into live games. Because players just do random things that you would never think to actually test. Not to mention that you only have access to the most basic of items on the blue frogs, and need to craft more advanced stuff if you really want to test beyond the most basic of testing.

I think a wipe and char limits would bring back a more active population. I think the devs discount the value in that. But I also think that we still need flexibility to be able to play around with classes we wouldn't normally play. And that requires more than two chars. 10 is too much. 2 is not enough. What is ideal? I don't know. But I think those two options are too extreme for a test server that needs an active player base.

hybridtheory
08-11-2017, 01:12 PM
I use Nova for specific testing of abilites, specials, modifiers. Things you can log in, spec out, and test in a few minutes. That is not through testing of anything. To actually test a profession, you really need to play it. It's why so many bugs make it into live games. Because players just do random things that you would never think to actually test. Not to mention that you only have access to the most basic of items on the blue frogs, and need to craft more advanced stuff if you really want to test beyond the most basic of testing.

I think a wipe and char limits would bring back a more active population. I think the devs discount the value in that. But I also think that we still need flexibility to be able to play around with classes we wouldn't normally play. And that requires more than two chars. 10 is too much. 2 is not enough. What is ideal? I don't know. But I think those two options are too extreme for a test server that needs an active player base.

But why can't you actually play those class's on nova? You don't have to use the frog to learn the skills.

I bet you went imperial, stormcloaks were the right choice btw.

Peak
08-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Lol, get a load of this internet tough guy wanting to protect his test server fortunes.

DDSilver
08-11-2017, 01:20 PM
What is the amount of multiple accounts, you seem to know? Could you please give us a number? Oh you can't well thanks for your empty statistic.

I do not know.
I know the amount was significant enough for Raph Koster to figure out how many accounts a unique player had, but unfortunately he did not disclose the results.

I also know, but this is solely personal experience, that virtually every high end crafter on EU-infinity had more then one account.

And don't get me wrong, I agree with the problem that you see. 10 slots is wrecking the economy.
However, if you are wrong, and 2 characters prove to be insufficient to support the player services infrastructure, you might wreck the whole game.

I'd rather that does not happen.

risenangel
08-11-2017, 01:29 PM

It isn't.

As others have pointed out, this is development exercise disguised as a game, destined to be wiped sooner or later. More knowledgeable folks than me have explained why a wipe isn't Plan A, but it has nothing to do with whether or not people want to buy stuff from other people. Nor is it about preserving (or for that matter, destroying) the status quo for the benefit or convenience of us stress-testers. As far as I know, the "economy" isn't being stress tested. Don't bother arguing that crafting would be tested more thoroughly if there was more of a profit motive, that's magical thinking.

When the project becomes a game, intended to persist and please a community of players instead of testers, then we can get all hot and sweaty about interdependence, and the economy, and all those other meta-games.

In short, the problem isn't implementation, it's a problem of expectations.just leaving this quote here for people to read over again.

shadow2kx
08-11-2017, 01:32 PM
But why can't you actually play those class's on nova? You don't have to use the frog to learn the skills.

I bet you went imperial, stormcloaks were the right choice btw.

Why doesn't everyone who wants the character limit set to two characters just delete their other eight? The answer is basically the same. You want to play the game you remember, but at the same time, you want to compete. SWG is as much about social interaction as it is competition. Nova has none of that.

And no, Hadvar was going to cut my head off. Screw that guy.

sugarlizard
08-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Coming from a lower population server on Live, I always thought 3 character slots would be the perfect number. This would give everyone a chance to play at least one character with the profession build they loved and allow for 2 'community assistance' characters. Even the reverse would work. Sure, not everyone would follow that formula but having that 3rd slot would have been so helpful to many of us back in the day.

Litintha
08-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Gotta say, everyone here is responding really well to a potential database wipe.

Last time I saw a server say they had a database wipe was back when Molten-WoW was a thing, and everyone flipped out over that.

It's really nice to see that the SWG community is WAY above that.

diclarkio
08-11-2017, 01:47 PM

It isn't.

In short, the problem isn't implementation, it's a problem of expectations.

Hey hey, how's things?

You're right - the object of the server is testing new code in prep for 1.0... for that reason (and others) I really hope no wipe happens.

There has to be a balance struck though, as the sheer timescales involved mean you need to retain a fair degree of goodwill from the community. Dogmatic pursuit of project goals needs to be tempered by the need to make the testing enjoyable or you risk toiling over lines of code for many many years and end up with a very empty Suncrusher server in 202x.

I personally think the balance is struck pretty well most of the time by the way...

shadow2kx
08-11-2017, 01:49 PM
just leaving this quote here for people to read over again.

Yes, we know. But the more players you have, the more things get tested...whether they intend to be doing it or not. Because testing isn't strictly about QA sessions, it includes playtesting. Controlled testing only reveals so much. It's why beta tests of almost every game exists these days, so that many more things get randomly tested. So that players can "play", and randomly stumble across things that nobody would ever think of sitting down to test.

It's why game developers actively encourage more people to just sit down and play. They may give them a list of things that players should actively seek out to test. But they also encourage them to just run around and have fun, knowing that these players will do things the devs never thought would happen and could reveal game breaking issues prior to launch.

Perhaps the SWGEMU devs could learn a thing or two from the way actual paid developers run their alpha/beta testing phases. I mean, we've heard many times, SWGEMU just volunteers, right? Perhaps there's something to be learned from the professionals in this case.