PDA

View Full Version : REMINDER: RL Monetary Trades in-game are a bannable offense

Vlada
03-07-2017, 08:24 PM
REMINDER: RL Monetary Trades in-game are a bannable offense

March 7, 2017
The SWGEmu Staff

REMINDER: RL Monetary Trades in-game are a bannable offense

Lets start off with a quote from our SWGEmu Test Center & Basilisk Rules & Policies (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30)

1.7. On SWGEmu Servers, all accounts and characters used for financial gain will be deleted/banned. It is forbidden to use your account for:

1.7.1. Soliciting real life monetary trades.
1.7.2. Purchasing of in-game credits or items for real life currency.
1.7.3. Exchange of in-game items/credits for real life items.
1.7.4. Exchange of in-game items/credits for items/currency from other games.

Basilisk and TC: Nova are temporary test servers, which means everything you have on them, every character, item or credit will be eventually wiped when SWGEmu project is complete. SWGEmu project is free, and everything in game is free and available to anyone willing to put in time and some effort to obtain it by just playing.

Now that we have that out of the way, lets reiterate. Buying or selling of in-game items and/or credits is against our rules and is a bannable offense. Credits transactions are logged and if caught all those involved will be permanently banned from any and all of our services. SWGEmu does not in any way support nor does it condone any real life monetary trades for in-game items and/or credits.

Anyone who has purchased credits or in-game items, even if their account has not been banned, should ask for a chargeback immediately and report credit/item seller to paypal or their bank as a scammer.

Furthermore we will be instituting a "Snitch" program, for those caught or just willing to help us and themselves and get a fresh start on SWGEmu servers. If you bought credits/items and you got caught, you will be offered an option to start fresh with a new account if you cooperate and help us get rid of those breaking our rules and ruining the emulator for everyone.

~The SWGEmu Staff

Farsun
03-08-2017, 12:42 AM
It'd be great if we could get a network going between SWGEmu and other servers based off of SWGEmu to ensure that anyone who does this, no matter the server, is dealt with.

ahoki
03-08-2017, 02:50 AM
oh Lord.... If Niffer needs an ADK for that ban hamma lemme know, i got an extra

Vlada
03-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Niff had some fun last night...

http://i.imgur.com/OuxOgP2.png

http://i.imgur.com/oZKQbqZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/qtA28el.png

And she isn't even half way through the logs

hybridtheory
03-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Uncensor it so I can...... I have needs.

buellronin
03-08-2017, 11:49 AM
I want to read the names.

TrisxoTarqSWG
03-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Uncensor it so I can...... I have needs.

They're not playing anymore, so ya...whats the worst that could happen from a bunch of scoundrels knowing?

buellronin
03-08-2017, 12:15 PM
If you stare at the blur really hard you can make out the name

bigevil
03-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Keeping an eye as to what crafters get falcon punched by this and go offline quietly..lol. :) Want to start a new trade for fun. :p

TrisxoTarqSWG
03-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Keeping an eye as to what crafters get falcon punched by this and go offline quietly..lol. :) Want to start a new trade for fun. :p

Might give the Stormtroopers one more thing to search for with the Crackdown....items made by these crafters..."dealing in illegal antiquities" =D

Monoxide
03-08-2017, 03:50 PM
I think some people on the trade forums will magically disappear :^]

Tyrson
03-08-2017, 06:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Jj0eYQ3.png

That's no surprise.... 50 adk sale threads, poorly thought out lies when confronted, etc...

Haha Vlada, I unblurred it a little and I see each image just has the same blurred words pasted over and over again. Oh well, I'll stop being nosy! (but I did see a few other people recently banned that I won't mention here... and sadly a few I was hoping would be gone that aren't banned.)

Vlada
03-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Haha Vlada, I unblurred it a little and I see each image just has the same blurred words pasted over and over again. Oh well, I'll stop being nosy! (but I did see a few other people recently banned that I won't mention here... and sadly a few I was hoping would be gone that aren't banned.)

yeah i thought someone may try to do that, so instead of blurring each one, i just did it with the first name and then copied it over and over.

darth8875
03-09-2017, 02:21 AM
So what exactly is the problem with folks buying in game credits or items? I have never bought anything like that, and frankly have no shortage of more important stuff to pay for, but I do not see what the issue is for others......

Hell.........that is quite possibly the only way for folks who have real lives to get some of the high end loot that is constantly camped and bogarted by folks on this server.

hybridtheory
03-09-2017, 02:29 AM
So what exactly is the problem with folks buying in game credits or items? I have never bought anything like that, and frankly have no shortage of more important stuff to pay for, but I do not see what the issue is for others......

Hell.........that is quite possibly the only way for folks who have real lives to get some of the high end loot that is constantly camped and bogarted by folks on this server.

Its probably just part of the nonprofit campaign that lets this server run, if somebody is making money in their pocket a legal issue could arise.

Most MMO's don't allow it cause its competition for their game in a way, if their is cash being thrown around they want to be making it but seeing as how swgemu doesn't own or licensed to the rights to a starwars game and is only emulating one matters of money have to be handled carefully.

Just my guess.

darth8875
03-09-2017, 02:35 AM
That does make some sense.

I was just hoping it wasn't some misguided "fairness" reasoning. I read the part that noted "and everything in game is free and available to anyone willing to put in time and some effort to obtain it by just playing." and I almost spit out my Frosted Flakes. Obviously Vlada has never been to the Geo Caves on Basilisk.....

SaibotLiu
03-09-2017, 06:22 AM
I'm pretty sure the reason most MMOs discourage this is so they can remain consistent with the standard rule that you don't own your character or any of the virtual items or currency you've accumulated on your account. If the EULA doesn't prevent you from selling those things for monetary gain then they would have a much more difficult time furthering the narrative that you don't own them in the first place. And if a player can establish that they actually own things on their account, it potentially creates a lot more problems for a developer than just unauthorized RMT.

I think players have this perception that it's about the company losing money or it's because of the fairness aspect, that's probably a much lesser concern in most cases.

Vlada
03-09-2017, 09:46 AM
That does make some sense.

I was just hoping it wasn't some misguided "fairness" reasoning. I read the part that noted "and everything in game is free and available to anyone willing to put in time and some effort to obtain it by just playing." and I almost spit out my Frosted Flakes. Obviously Vlada has never been to the Geo Caves on Basilisk.....

Of course i haven't, i stopped going there when the infamous entrance fee was introduced, so like most folks that cant afford it i stay away from those places where i have to pay money to get in.

darth8875
03-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Never heard of the entrance fee you speak of. Granted, I havent been active on this server in over a year.

I was referring to the non-stop camping of mobs in there. And while technically I guess one COULD put in enough effort to compete for such mobs (provided no job, no wife, no kids, all SWG all the time, the rest of the taxpayers paying your bills) responsible adults do not have that much time to invest. And to suggest there is an equal playing field for everyone in regards to these things is disingenuous.

But you are a smart guy Vlada. I am sure you already know these things. Which means you were being a smartass......

Well......some things never change. FYI though, it is pretty nice to be able to go onto forums and not have staff be smartasses! It actually seems professional when staff hold themselves above petty smartassery.

I'm pretty sure the reason most MMOs discourage this is so they can remain consistent with the standard rule that you don't own your character or any of the virtual items or currency you've accumulated on your account. If the EULA doesn't prevent you from selling those things for monetary gain then they would have a much more difficult time furthering the narrative that you don't own them in the first place. And if a player can establish that they actually own things on their account, it potentially creates a lot more problems for a developer than just unauthorized RMT.

I think players have this perception that it's about the company losing money or it's because of the fairness aspect, that's probably a much lesser concern in most cases.

Interesting. I have never heard of that one.

Vlada
03-09-2017, 11:17 AM
I was referring to the non-stop camping of mobs in there. And while technically I guess one COULD put in enough effort to compete for such mobs (provided no job, no wife, no kids, all SWG all the time, the rest of the taxpayers paying your bills) responsible adults do not have that much time to invest. And to suggest there is an equal playing field for everyone in regards to these things is disingenuous.

First of all, LOLOLOLOL at taxpayers paying my bills. Second, of course those that don't want or just cant, for whatever reason, put in the effort are in a disadvantage. That's the way it should be. You are actually supposed to play the game to achieve something in it.

Or are you saying you are entitled to more just because you think you earned it by reasonable adulting irl? Because ill tell you right now, probably more that half of those we banned for share that mentality.

SaibotLiu
03-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Never heard of the entrance fee you speak of. Granted, I havent been active on this server in over a year.

But you are a smart guy Vlada. I am sure you already know these things. Which means you were being a smartass......

Well......some things never change. FYI though, it is pretty nice to be able to go onto forums and not have staff be smartasses! It actually seems professional when staff hold themselves above petty smartassery.

How exactly is that different than any other MMO? Time spent roughly=accumulated wealth/ability/perks in game. However I think most MMO players are against P2W or other entitlements given for RL dollars wether that is sanctioned by the developer or not. Whilst you say you've never spent money on that kind of thing you also see nothing wrong with it. How is using your RL prestige or wealth to obtain in game advantages better than taking advantage of your lack of those responsibities in RL to obtain them? Trust me, there's people out there with more disposable income -and- free time than you. So essentially you've just made your initial problem worse with P2W, what now?

darth8875
03-10-2017, 12:18 AM
First of all, LOLOLOLOL at taxpayers paying my bills.

I was not referring to you dude. I wrote "And while technically I guess one COULD put in enough effort to compete for such mobs (provided no job, no wife, no kids, all SWG all the time, the rest of the taxpayers paying your bills) responsible adults do not have that much time to invest." The reference to one assumes a random person, not you personally. Perhaps I should have stated "MOST responsible adults"......

You said that "everything in game is free and available to anyone willing to put in time and some effort to obtain it by just playing". That is untrue. Hell, a new guy doesn't stand a chance of experiencing end game content on Basilisk due to the selfish folks who constantly camp those areas, unless you win a random loot lottery and get some uber gear. Even then, the places where you may stand a chance of getting that gear are camped by the folks who already have it!

. I'm not passing judgement per se......I'm just saying that your statement, while rosy and cheerful and all, is not the reality of this server. Maybe one day it will be. Today is not that day man.

How exactly is that different than any other MMO? Time spent roughly=accumulated wealth/ability/perks in game. However I think most MMO players are against P2W or other entitlements given for RL dollars wether that is sanctioned by the developer or not. Whilst you say you've never spent money on that kind of thing you also see nothing wrong with it. How is using your RL prestige or wealth to obtain in game advantages better than taking advantage of your lack of those responsibities in RL to obtain them? Trust me, there's people out there with more disposable income -and- free time than you. So essentially you've just made your initial problem worse with P2W, what now?

I am not judging the morality one way or the other. I am just saying that the statement "and everything in game is free and available to anyone willing to put in time and some effort to obtain it by just playing" is not the truth. It is a unicorns and rainbows alternative reality truth.

Vlada
03-10-2017, 06:57 AM
You said that "everything in game is free and available to anyone willing to put in time and some effort to obtain it by just playing". That is untrue. Hell, a new guy doesn't stand a chance of experiencing end game content on Basilisk due to the selfish folks who constantly camp those areas, unless you win a random loot lottery and get some uber gear. Even then, the places where you may stand a chance of getting that gear are camped by the folks who already have it!

I'm not sure what Star Wars game you played, but that is how its supposed to work. You cant just create a toon and expect to go hunting for high end mobs. You grind your way up. Even those you say are camping high end mobs started that way. It all just takes time and effort. If either is lacking, which you admit is lacking in your case, then forget about anything high end in this game. My statement stands, its your view that everything should be available to everyone no matter how much time or effort they put in playing that is just wrong.

darth8875
03-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Ive played on a few different servers..........some very dogmatic to the "grind" as you speak of, some that boost xp to the extreme so folks can play instead of grind. I would say that those that boost xp allow more people to experience all of what the game has to offer and, thus, would be more deserving of the description you gave.

bigevil
03-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Ive played on a few different servers..........some very dogmatic to the "grind" as you speak of, some that boost xp to the extreme so folks can play instead of grind. I would say that those that boost xp allow more people to experience all of what the game has to offer and, thus, would be more deserving of the description you gave.

Darth...Im sorry but are you serious? We are not peddling here for players...despite what any may think or feel. This is still a test server working towards completion of code. If you or any want an accelerated experience and a pure "play environment," then have at it and go to what fuels your fire. Go in peace and have fun. :) This place has a goal...development in an environment that allows a degree of saturation for testing sake....and when its done, its GONE! This is a while off yet, but to put into place a desire or feel of which you speak would be both misleading and out of focus. Not the end run.

Livy2K
03-10-2017, 09:01 PM
First of all, LOLOLOLOL at taxpayers paying my bills.

I will win the welfare duel

shilo
03-10-2017, 10:06 PM

Someone who spends all their time to get uber pixelated items, and imaginary space credits deserve what they get! If you are too busy making real world money, and acquire real world items to compete in SWG than you are winning at life in my opinion.

darth8875
03-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Darth...Im sorry but are you serious? We are not peddling here for players...despite what any may think or feel. This is still a test server working towards completion of code. If you or any want an accelerated experience and a pure "play environment," then have at it and go to what fuels your fire. Go in peace and have fun. :) This place has a goal...development in an environment that allows a degree of saturation for testing sake....and when its done, its GONE! This is a while off yet, but to put into place a desire or feel of which you speak would be both misleading and out of focus. Not the end run.

Is nobody actually reading what I am typing? Vlada remarked "everything in game is free and available to anyone willing to put in time and some effort to obtain it by just playing". I disagreed with that statement. I do not think that statement, given the reality of this server, is accurate. Period.....nothing more, nothing less. I also made a remark about him being a smart *** in reply (for no reason I might add), but that is what it is. He is the face of this project on the forums and he is the same as he has always been.

I never said that SWGEmu was "peddling for players". I never said that Basilisk was not a "test server". I never said I wanted accelerated experience nor did I say I wanted a pure play environment. I have went in peace, came back, play on a bunch of servers, and have never seemed to have an issue anywhere.

Taking my disagreement with Vlada's statement, which I feel is not reflective of the reality of this server, and turning that into all the stuff you just typed required some extreme stretching there cuz.

You know what.......forget I said anything fellas. I was wrong SWGEmu is the place where a working man new to SWG can start cold turkey and in three weeks be outdamaging the campers with legendary weapons at the Acklay. He can do anything at all with his Cdef because BASILISK!!! ANd in the name of all that is decent and holy, Vlada is the Shakespeare of our time and NEVER EVER could phrase something better!

There.....we good now? I'll try to work on not having those pesky opinions in the future too.

Vlada
03-11-2017, 12:36 AM
You know what.......forget I said anything fellas. I was wrong SWGEmu is the place where a working man new to SWG can start cold turkey and in three weeks be outdamaging the campers with legendary weapons at the Acklay. He can do anything at all with his Cdef because BASILISK!!! ANd in the name of all that is decent and holy, Vlada is the Shakespeare of our time and NEVER EVER could phrase something better!

No one said that ever. We all stated that if you put in enough time and effort, for some 3 weeks (but i doubt it) for others 3 , or 9 months or 10 years (just for the sake of argument) they will be able to compete with those camping the high end mobs. Its all about how much time and effort someone puts in to playing. If that "working man" you mention doesn't have time, or just doesn't want to play the game then they wont be able to do it and guess what they don't deserve to do it, because even in a game things need to be earned not handed to you.

So if you're making a conscious choice or just don't have the luxury to pick game over real life, then no, you will not be able to compete with those with uber gear any time soon. So please stop regurgitating the idea that because you are busy working in real life and providing for your family (which is admirable) you deserve the same gear and to farm the same mobs as those that spend more time in game then you do at work, because you just don't. Sorry, playing the real life doesn't give you in game XP, it dont work that way. Never has, never will.

shilo
03-11-2017, 01:59 AM
Is nobody actually reading what I am typing? Vlada remarked "everything in game is free and available to anyone willing to put in time and some effort to obtain it by just playing". I disagreed with that statement. I do not think that statement, given the reality of this server, is accurate. Period.....nothing more, nothing less.

It seems that you do not like the answer that you are being given, so you keep asking the same question hoping to get an answer that you like! I see this all the time in students trying to understand a complicated math or physics problem. They ask a question, and are given an answer but when they do not understand the answer they get frustrated and re-ask the same question in a different way hoping to get an answer that they can understand!

darth8875
03-11-2017, 02:35 AM
It seems that you do not like the answer that you are being given, so you keep asking the same question hoping to get an answer that you like! I see this all the time in students trying to understand a complicated math or physics problem. They ask a question, and are given an answer but when they do not understand the answer they get frustrated and re-ask the same question in a different way hoping to get an answer that they can understand!

Not at all sir.

Vlada is the Shakespeare of our time and NEVER EVER could phrase something better!

I have admitted defeat.

chen-
03-11-2017, 04:42 AM
Whooooooooooosh

(Sound of the point flying over your head)

Dyreal
03-11-2017, 05:43 AM
Nice.... And the cost for ADKs prob just wnet up since they took a bunch of adks with them.

Davickk
03-11-2017, 05:21 PM
I must admit, the individual arguing against Vlada has a valid point. If someone wishes to trade fake in-game currency for real life money, that should be a choice made amongst the individual consenting parties. The credits are acquired, and distributed regaurdless. If Joey McMoneyBags has the means to purchase in-game currency, that will be wiped eventually, it should be his choice to do so.

chen-
03-11-2017, 05:47 PM
I must admit, the individual arguing against Vlada has a valid point. If someone wishes to trade fake in-game currency for real life money, that should be a choice made amongst the individual consenting parties. The credits are acquired, and distributed regaurdless. If Joey McMoneyBags has the means to purchase in-game currency, that will be wiped eventually, it should be his choice to do so.

no, its logical for the owner of the server to make any rules they wish. if in game items for RL money is against their policy, then so be it. (ie, their server, their rules) Its up to us to follow them, or not play.

no one is forcing people to be here.

Davickk
03-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I stated mine, you stated yours. Obviously it's against policy, and being enforced which is great. Rules are rules.

shilo
03-11-2017, 06:46 PM
SWGEmu is emulating a game for which they do not own the rights to. As such, all of the legal "i's and T's" have been dotted and crossed. One stipulation of this arrangement is that the SWGEmu nor anyone involved is making monetary gains from a trademarked franchise. Thus the ULA reflects this, and everyone who has logged into Basilisk has agreed to.

Miztah
03-11-2017, 10:09 PM
People can believe they have the right to purchase in-game credits and items with real life currency all they want, we have the right to ban them for doing so as we're providing the service. If paying real money to buy credits in an emulated game is something you want to do, do it at your own risk knowing ahead of time that it's against our rules and we're going to do what we can to catch and ban you. Simple as that.

Agelk
03-11-2017, 10:27 PM
mic drop /end thread

israt
03-12-2017, 01:50 PM
I dont want to trade anything, I just want someone to give me some of this real life money you all are talking about...

DarkMaster
05-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Maybe I didnt understand but is it only related to real life money stuff? Cuz from what I understood( I suck at text comprehension so I know I may be wrong ) but if you trade in-game credits(not real life money) for weps then is there a problem or not?
Sorry if it sound dumb

Vlada
05-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Maybe I didnt understand but is it only related to real life money stuff? Cuz from what I understood( I suck at text comprehension so I know I may be wrong ) but if you trade in-game credits(not real life money) for weps then is there a problem or not?
Sorry if it sound dumb

If weps refer to in game weapons then of course there is no problem at all. That is how game economy is supposed to work.

franklin920
05-31-2017, 09:27 PM
So I cannot bitcoin someone for a slave collar?

Toxs
06-03-2017, 04:18 AM
So some people really want to make this game pay to win? Remember if you play with star wars action figures you can win almost every time.

Edbacca
06-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Can I trade naked pictures of my wife for in game credits?

Toxs
06-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Can I trade naked pictures of my wife for in game credits? PM me with a free sample

Cryva
06-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Pay to win absolutely kills in-game economy and mechanics. Find and ban... I have come across several folks in my time that purchase credits and they have not been caught/banned (not saying I know specific names)... but ya know... hopefully you guys can get a good system in place to catch these ppl.

How do people farm so many credits anyway to sell so much?

Edbacca
06-04-2017, 09:36 PM
I have never farmed credits by doing missions, loot farmering and crafters is where the big creds are.

franklin920
06-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Can I trade naked pictures of my wife for in game credits?

Any girl who is traded for Space credits isn't worth seeing lol.

Edbacca
06-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Your comment would fall under the "Plausible deniability" category until you have more evidence to prove your statement! Lol

DarthVandar
06-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Just saw this and wanted to give my 2 cents. While I waste my life away in backwards countries, I play games to unwind from the stresses of everyday life (AKA work, children, wife, clinical responsibilities). While I am not for people buying/selling ingame items and currency, I do like to have a fun and fair experience in any game I play. I understand the concerns from players who value spending their time and effort in games to earn their virtual accolades, I am not blessed with the excess time because shipboard duties usually run 24 hours a day, including the time I spend in garrison working 12-15 hour shifts, which I have to divide between my two lovely children and wife. That being said I do feel left out at times due to my obligations to self sacrifice for freedom and democracy preservation around the world. I for one would not want to cheapen someones experience at my expense though a good developer does address these concerns, how will the community provide a fun and fair environment for people like us? This isn't meant to attack anyone here and i'm not taking sides, I am merely stating my point of view. I played this game religiously back before I joined the military and played a little bit in this community after it sprung up. As a fan of Star Wars, I am proud to allow younger individuals to experience the joy I felt playing this game, sadly I just don't have the time I use to. I really wish they would delve back into this structure of an MMO VS the current SWTOR, which by all accounts is a shadow compared to SWG. I like The Old Republic era, I just wish they would of went about it a different way, which I blame to lazy development and rush content to milk money off the success of the reinsurance of Star Wars in the theaters.

leato
06-09-2017, 01:02 AM
Heya Darth, I understand the life of being a squid. Well in the armed services, I was in the 82nd Abn for several years. In the end its about priorities. The value of the game would be lessened for some by making it more convienient for others. I was in your situation with SWGEmu when I served. Its the main reason I started playing Eve Online actually(offline training). Regardless of that, we choose to lead the lives we lead. You choose to better yourself and others at this time while others choose to grind away all day. I've managed to find that happy balance of gamining and life since I've been out of the service. You will find it too one day. If not switch to a game thats pay to play or find a high xp rate server for swgemu.

~ LeAto

falacy
07-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Is nobody actually reading what I am typing? Don't expect them to read, understand, or care. High horse hostility is how many folks roll around here. It's always been that way. Don't waste your time.

weberk
07-07-2017, 02:46 AM
Full disclosure I sold credits on live, a lot of credits, and didn't think I was the evil that brought the destruction of the galaxy. I wouldn't do it here though because of the legal position it would put the Emu staff in. They do an awful lot to allow us return to a game that we love, and I don't want to be the one that ruins that. I'd have a bunch of Star Wars nerds camped out on my lawn throwing things at me when I walked out.