PDA

View Full Version : Liberator down for maintenance

odwill
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Downtime for Liberator (Denver)

July 08, 2011
The SWGEmu Community Divisions

Liberator is down due to hardware failure- 07/08/11

The SSD has failed again on the Denver server. We are working with our hosting company to replace the drive. Once the drive is replaced we will restore data from backup. Please understand this will take quite a while. There is currently no ETA on how long it may take. When we have more information, we will pass it along. During this time, new user registration will be disabled to prevent any database issues from occurring.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you and we thank you for your patience.

~ The SWGEmu Team

cru jodo
07-08-2011, 11:56 AM
I have an old linux machine you guys can have

ViLeBlOoD
07-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, how often is the backup saved?

Uli
07-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Win!

10char

chayn
07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
nice to be informed.... :) Thanks

Pake
07-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, how often is the backup saved?

I am also curious, could you give some indication as to how long ago the last backup was? I would like to try and retract my steps and rekill what I did till that point.

Kaltako
07-08-2011, 12:59 PM
time to upgrade your hardware/server with all these tasty donations :O

Vlada
07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
I am also curious, could you give some indication as to how long ago the last backup was? I would like to try and retract my steps and rekill what I did till that point.

I think last backup was made yesterday.

time to upgrade your hardware/server with all these tasty donations :O

Server was already upgraded (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3356), its this SSD that is causing problems. This is the second time it failed.

ViLeBlOoD
07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
So much for my crafting xp from this morning >< 3-4k down the tube, Oh well. Won't take too long to get back, but going to need to find some people and remake their custom weapons for them. Technology, a blessing and a curse ;D

JSW321
07-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Sounds like ya need to go back to the old 1 TB 6 gb transfer spin drives :P
... disappointing to see SSD fails, but has to be expected.

SnowingMonkey
07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Is this why I can't get past the log-in screen, or is that another issue entirely?

KissiWee
07-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Is it possible that the bugs i hade yesterday with not getting the skill i learned (only the exp. loss) got to do with this?

Hoihe_Dacino
07-08-2011, 01:44 PM
That SSD should be presented to Lord Vader for it's lack of performance, i am sure he WILL find it disturbing.

ViLeBlOoD
07-08-2011, 01:49 PM
That SSD should be presented to Lord Vader for it's lack of performance, i am sure he WILL find it disturbing.

When it returns, it will be more powerful than you can possibly imagine. (rigged with twine and bubblegum)

stevengarris
07-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Glad to have the information.....While I am here I have a strange questions and I cannot find the information in the forums. Will the Liberator server be wiped at some point? I read a post stating something to this effect and wish to clear this issue up with my guild. If there is a post could someone please direct me to it ?

Choctaw Tyvarr
07-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Glad to have the information.....While I am here I have a strange questions and I cannot find the information in the forums. Will the Liberator server be wiped at some point? I read a post stating something to this effect and wish to clear this issue up with my guild. If there is a post could someone please direct me to it ?

From what i understand yes so all info on Liberator will be lost once the new server is live

storm1701
07-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Stevengarris, try this thread: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17767&page=1

bigevil
07-08-2011, 02:19 PM
or here where its stated clearly.....

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17441

FYI, this was a simple announcement thread. I would suggest questions go elsewhere, as this will be closed upon server restoration.

mysticmoron109
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
ty for update...good to know you guys post this type of information here

cheers

vitruvius
07-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Is it possible that the bugs i hade yesterday with not getting the skill i learned (only the exp. loss) got to do with this?

no, that's you having not enough skill points left - more than likely

MarlonB
07-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Split off the mirror disk and run from that? You guys don't have an EMC? :P

I really hope it is back up (no pun intended) tonight .... only time a week i can actually get a buff and do fun stuff ....

Lobreeze
07-08-2011, 03:12 PM
hi could someone please direct me to the page everyone was forced to read stating that there will be multiple wipes?

How is someone supposed to find something like that on their own!?

I really hope it is back up

not a pun at all.....

storm1701
07-08-2011, 03:31 PM
or here where its stated clearly.....

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17441

FYI, this was a simple announcement thread. I would suggest questions go elsewhere, as this will be closed upon server restoration.

Already here...

-Jeru Seksepants
07-08-2011, 03:36 PM
When it returns, it will be more powerful than you can possibly imagine. (rigged with twine and bubblegum)

Dont forget duct tape! it holds the world together! All joking aside, I appreciate the info from the OP. What i wonder is will there be specific data loss from yesterday? Will the loot i got go poof? If i mastered a prof yesterday do i have to do it again? Any elaboration would be very helpful

storm1701
07-08-2011, 03:38 PM
More like "it binds the galaxy together..."

Nezrik
07-08-2011, 03:48 PM
[10:43am] <@TheAnswer> no SSD in stock till monday-tuesday

:(

Vlada
07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
[10:43am] <@TheAnswer> no SSD in stock till monday-tuesday:(

<@TheAnswer> i will run it from normal hdds

Jinyu
07-08-2011, 03:52 PM
i hope i still have that 900 mind fire pike =o

Bosch
07-08-2011, 03:53 PM
[10:43am] <@TheAnswer> no SSD in stock till monday-tuesday

:(
In b4 people start demanding Nova/STM be brought online (lol) so they can play....

ViLeBlOoD
07-08-2011, 03:54 PM
More like "it binds the galaxy together..."

I believe the PC game Star Warped once said "Yoda is the glue that holds the Star Wars universe together."

Kevin08
07-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Is this something that can't be run in RAID?

Seems like redundancy would help.

Jafo
07-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I know some hampsters that will be looking for work in Dec. LOL!

jmantiki2721
07-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I smell a mutiny..... smells like chicken fingers

Vlada
07-08-2011, 04:12 PM
<%Status> Liberator is now ONLINE

EDIT:

<%Status> Liberator was ONLINE

Not anymore. :p

EDIT2:

Again.

Tharion
07-08-2011, 04:16 PM
You guys are doing an awesome job! Keep it up!!

NoowahD
07-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Argh! I missed the 2 minute window.
=/

MarlonB
07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Those minutes were enough to see last nights loot is gone ;)

hatetrix
07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm just wondering, but with all the options available,why go with SSD's?

twighead1
07-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I was able to login breifly and all the xp, skills, and credits I got yesterday were gone. Might have even been 2 days.

ViLeBlOoD
07-08-2011, 04:31 PM

EDIT:

<%Status> Liberator was ONLINE

Not anymore. :p

EDIT2:

Again.

Server is back up. Hopefully for a while.
Back up.

NoowahD
07-08-2011, 04:31 PM
2 days, you say?
I just FINALLY got my first set of composite!
Now i have to grind so many more terminal missions...
I do hope you're wrong...

mystiq
07-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Nooooes. The character I spent all yesterday lvling is gone =( + A days worth of resource sampling (Yes, I do it Semi AFK, sue me)
Well, gotta suck it up and start again I guess.

NoowahD
07-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah, i made a good 500k yesterday..
Gotta find those people again.
Oh well.

twighead1
07-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah, i made a good 500k yesterday..
Gotta find those people again.
Oh well.

Lost 4 skill boxes on my Musician, 1.75 on my rifleman, and a few hundred thousand creds

psyckos
07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Its rough losing loot, xp, creds, etc in situations like these, but remember, liberator is dead code and will be completely wiped at some point. Its all going to disappear and need redone. Don't sweat the few hours. Have fun with the game.

Suaswan
07-08-2011, 05:04 PM
I ended up in better shape now than I was in yesterday! lol Somedays you win!

cru jodo
07-08-2011, 05:07 PM
floating out in the ether is the invest 1&2 i ground through the lag last nite

ziggystardust
07-08-2011, 05:34 PM
oh noes. All this weeks grinding has gone out the window, Ive lost all the TK/Scout/Medic boxes grinded this week. Not sure I can bothered doing it all again. Think I will wait till 1.0 now QQ

NoowahD
07-08-2011, 05:39 PM
oh noes. All this weeks grinding has gone out the window, Ive lost all the TK/Scout/Medic boxes grinded this week. Not sure I can bothered doing it all again. Think I will wait till 1.0 now QQ
I think im with you on that note.

vicrock
07-08-2011, 06:19 PM
wtb poll for wipe

imperialassasin
07-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I think im with you on that note.
I hope that is sarcasm sergeant.

haplovoss
07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Oh holy crap! I lost stuff! Lots of stuff!!!! ~20K in mats and a level just for starters!!
Guess I'll just have to go and PLAY MY GAME SOME MORE! Wow sounds horrible. Good grief you have to be kidding me? This is all in the BOLD print isn't it?
Anyway I'll be playing whatever server is up until 1.0 hits and our toons are all wiped anyway.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on everything and I hope the new hardware works out.

zawaz
07-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Quick question; A group of my friends and I started to again play the EMU yesterday [We all already had characters made from awhile back] and we made some progress, but obviously it was lost due to the crash. My question to the community is that if we start playing again today and onward, once they fix the hardware problem and replace the drive, will they revert my buddies and I back to the progress we've made yesterday, thus losing what we would earn from this point up until they fix the problem?

Cavi
07-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Its rough losing loot, xp, creds, etc in situations like these, but remember, liberator is dead code and will be completely wiped at some point. Its all going to disappear and need redone. Don't sweat the few hours. Have fun with the game.

Best post in the thread.

Kezzar
07-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Quick question; A group of my friends and I started to again play the EMU yesterday [We all already had characters made from awhile back] and we made some progress, but obviously it was lost due to the crash. My question to the community is that if we start playing again today and onward, once they fix the hardware problem and replace the drive, will they revert my buddies and I back to the progress we've made yesterday, thus losing what we would earn from this point up until they fix the problem?

If some progress was reverted, it's likely that the code couldn't be repaired. That means that, no, you won't get what happened before the revert back and lose what happened after.

erminator
07-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Is this something that can't be run in RAID?

Seems like redundancy would help.

SSDs have their biggest advantage over hard drives when doing random reads, and their least advantage when doing sequential writes. An SSD would handily beat a hard drive RAID array at the former, but probably not keep up with the latter.

Kaelvin
07-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I lost 15 house deeds 2 millions credits a holo and a faint message. J.K. but really, all of the stuff we lost is a foreshadow of 1.0, only we don't get to live in the land of Oz after this downtime =(... yet.

smoothmoovs
07-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I lost 1.2 million unarmed experience.

hahahahahahahahahaha, i have to laugh about it or Ill go crazy.

Oriss
07-08-2011, 08:31 PM

/agree'd

I feel your pain(s) over losing stuff but we must remember that the nice folks here are giveing us Lib to play in the sand with. Its clearly stated in multiple locations what Lib is and whats going to happen to it down the road. All in all, I'm very thankful for what time I have with it and am looking forward to the final release. It'll be hard to see it go, but it'll be well worth it in the end.

sephridias
07-08-2011, 08:39 PM
i truely lost a holo and a real nice Ca..but on the flip side i get to try and reslice some hammers that went fail, maybe ill get lucky?

rauce
07-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I lost half of pikeman :( back to novice now! and a sweet speedsliced LVA i bought for cheap

Hoihe_Dacino
Meh, lucky me that yesterday i was mostly RPing.

smoothmoovs
/agree'd

I feel your pain(s) over losing stuff but we must remember that the nice folks here are giveing us Lib to play in the sand with. Its clearly stated in multiple locations what Lib is and whats going to happen to it down the road. All in all, I'm very thankful for what time I have with it and am looking forward to the final release. It'll be hard to see it go, but it'll be well worth it in the end.

Well yes we know the server will be wiped eventually, but we will know when and get ready for it. Logging in after a grindhappy previous day and seeing over a million experience disappear. Oy.

I'm not blaming anyone for this and love SWGemu for doing what they do, but it still sucks.

I'm still wondering why the old coded server is the only one working...

erminator
07-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Well yes we know the server will be wiped eventually, but we will know when and get ready for it. Logging in after a grindhappy previous day and seeing over a million experience disappear. Oy.

I'm not blaming anyone for this and love SWGemu for doing what they do, but it still sucks.

Because the guys working on the OR and new engine do this in there FREE time, give em a break, you could download the core3 availible for free and run one yourself if your that desperate

HarvardAce
07-09-2011, 12:06 AM

Because the new code is undergoing some architectural changes that makes it fairly pointless to be tested by the masses at this point. Once those changes are complete, then it will likely be opened up for testing again -- however, it still won't be the "play" server because the dev team is still in the process of getting the feature set back to where liberator is. Once the feature set is on par with what is offered by liberator, then the switch will likely be made, but it still won't be 1.0.

Amhran
07-09-2011, 02:44 AM
I do hope that "lost a drive" is code for "lost an array" or "lost a controller". The servers are running RAID 5 or RAID 6 arrays and the loss of a single drive won't normally result in rollbacks, right?

Sorry to hear about the lost drive though, going to take this as motivation to donate to a cause that I'm totally behind. Been following for a long time, but finally jumped in to play and I'm having serious flashbacks. Now if only I could get the band back together, as it were. Keep on rockin this guys.

HarvardAce
07-09-2011, 03:36 AM
I do hope that "lost a drive" is code for "lost an array" or "lost a controller". The servers are running RAID 5 or RAID 6 arrays and the loss of a single drive won't normally result in rollbacks, right?

Nope, pretty sure that lost drive means that the SSD that had all the data went bad and they had to restore from a backup. I'm sure that once 1.0 is released, or even as that milestone gets close, more will go into server stability, backups, disaster recovery, etc., but for now it's hard to justify that cost when the stuff on liberator is all a dead end anyway.

NickDrakePink72
07-09-2011, 04:34 AM
I lost two boxes of carbineer, but it isn't a big deal. I remember losing stuff back in the pre-cu days when server maintenance went on so it definitely comes with the pre-cu experience :D.

Yhor
07-09-2011, 07:33 AM
I can't change my email. I feel robbed!

Amhran
07-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Nope, pretty sure that lost drive means that the SSD that had all the data went bad and they had to restore from a backup. I'm sure that once 1.0 is released, or even as that milestone gets close, more will go into server stability, backups, disaster recovery, etc., but for now it's hard to justify that cost when the stuff on liberator is all a dead end anyway. So RAID 5 is pretty cool. When a hard drive dies, you can just pull the dead drive out, and swap in a new one. The downtime is minimal (some can even be swapped hot) and the risk of data loss is also minimal - though a bad controlled can still wipe out a whole array's worth of data. You're right in that it's an increased cost, but it's just hardware, and can be used as the base for the new software.

Still, was fantastic motivation to step up and donate. I believe in the cause.

Crazy Padawan
07-10-2011, 01:17 AM
hey, maybe logging out while in a group caused these losses

Durrick40
07-10-2011, 01:18 AM
This happens and I appreciate all the hard work their doing for donations. lets help them out by donating as much $$$ so they can build the best SWGEmu server we have ever seen.

Amhran
07-10-2011, 01:59 AM
This happens and I appreciate all the hard work their doing for donations. lets help them out by donating as much $$$ so they can build the best SWGEmu server we have ever seen. When to know you've spent too much time on facebook. I went looking for the "Like" button. Or +1 in the new parlance.

jermad14
07-10-2011, 02:26 AM
When to know you've spent too much time on facebook. I went looking for the "Like" button. Or +1 in the new parlance.

After reading that I wanted to click "like" somewhere.

jefdrumm
07-10-2011, 02:34 AM
Is the Server Down I have not been able to get on Lib for 3 hours now?

cool78
07-10-2011, 02:51 AM
wait im confused....so is this the second roll back we are going to have in 2 days?? Or is this just talking bout the first rollback about a day ago and its just that the server is deadlocked now? I realllllyyyyy hope its not another rollback ill be so pissed :/

Datawraith
07-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Is the Server Down I have not been able to get on Lib for 3 hours now?

Unfortunately the server has been deadlocked for hours now.

Faliov
07-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Just let me get this sorted here cool78, you are upset over maybe a few hours of work lost to the depths. Then would you quite the Emu if it was a total information loss and everyone started over?

Just on a side note I feel a large quantity of lag is resulting from people multi-accounting and multi-boxing their games. The dual logging of characters though have been a massive help with me going back to my old ways of being a resource monger and Chef/AS/WS again. Yes I craft that much.

jefdrumm
07-10-2011, 03:01 AM
Unfortunately the server has been deadlocked for hours now.

What does that mean ? I am new here

SkyGlider
07-10-2011, 03:03 AM
The gadget to show server status shows Liberator online, but I haven't been able to log-in for about 4 hrs myself. I'm sure they are doing some kind of testing to give us the best experience possible. We just need to exercise a little patience. At least I got into SWG and participated in the saturday space event on starsider.

Bosch
07-10-2011, 03:04 AM
What does that mean ? I am new hereIf the server was a dog, it would be chasing its tail. It needs a restart but the devs that can do it are unavailable right now.

Faliov
07-10-2011, 03:06 AM
I doubt the info boxes are actually working period as that information has never updated for me once SkyGlider. I don't think someone finished the code for that, completed it properly, or even started it. It could be just a small error on my end but several of my fellow guild members report this same issue. It is up to you to make of it what you want though, I can't see your screen.

Bosch I doubt things are that simple, but you never know I suppose.

aftershave82
07-10-2011, 03:07 AM
If the server was a dog, it would be chasing its tail. It needs a restart but the devs that can do it are unavailable right now.

calls that "good teamwork"

jefdrumm
07-10-2011, 03:07 AM
If the server was a dog, it would be chasing its tail. It needs a restart but the devs that can do it are unavailable right now.

Thankyou Bosch.I just wanted to be sure it was not a system or internet issue onmy end. That's a relief

fixit6
07-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Made my best VK ever, and it got a perfect 35% slice too. Poof!

Lol, oh well. Glad to see it's bein worked on.

mckinney405
07-10-2011, 03:21 AM
Just Wondering is it still down? can't seem to logg in at all but then again my computers time might be messed up

mckinney405
07-10-2011, 03:22 AM
NVM Says its 3:21 AM but its actually 10:25, thats why i was confused.

Yhor
07-10-2011, 03:26 AM
Deadlock explained...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock

SkyGlider
07-10-2011, 03:34 AM
[QUOTE=Faliov;148351]I doubt the info boxes are actually working period as that information has never updated for me once SkyGlider. I don't think someone finished the code for that, completed it properly, or even started it. It could be just a small error on my end but several of my fellow guild members report this same issue. It is up to you to make of it what you want though, I can't see your screen.

The gadget has always been pretty accurate for me personally. I've seen it go off and online during times that I assume they are testing things, and its been reliable for me for the most part. Anyway, I'm glad they are working on making the game reliable and enjoyable for us.

cool78
07-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Just let me get this sorted here cool78, you are upset over maybe a few hours of work lost to the depths. Then would you quite the Emu if it was a total information loss and everyone started over?

Just on a side note I feel a large quantity of lag is resulting from people multi-accounting and multi-boxing their games. The dual logging of characters though have been a massive help with me going back to my old ways of being a resource monger and Chef/AS/WS again. Yes I craft that much.

This is why i would be mad: Everyone starts out with nothing when its wiped as you referred to. I hate rollbacks so much because whenever its the one week/day you strive for something and then u get rollbacked

Sarak
07-10-2011, 03:42 AM
For me it means, I suppose, that I am going to have to master scout for the third day in a row. I'm so tired of camping, lol. Oh well.

TheMOHAAMaster
07-10-2011, 03:51 AM
They should at least hire someone in the states who can restart the server too so when it goes down during night in Europe we can still play

mckinney405
07-10-2011, 04:08 AM
so where seriously getting ANOTHER rollback? i just mastered Marksmen and scout and trying to become a master Bh and i just started this new toon todday...this is going to be crappy if so....

Oriss
07-10-2011, 05:11 AM
so where seriously getting ANOTHER rollback? i just mastered Marksmen and scout and trying to become a master Bh and i just started this new toon todday...this is going to be crappy if so....

Don't think so, did you skip some pages? Check this out =)

Deadlock explained...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlock

mckinney405
07-10-2011, 05:19 AM
No i read that just im in the summer between classes and have nothing better to do but play SWG so basically this ultra closet nerd wants SWG back :D

mckinney405
07-10-2011, 05:21 AM
what is this about automatic server registration? what do i have to do to get this my account back?

cool78
07-10-2011, 05:26 AM
what is this about automatic server registration? what do i have to do to get this my account back?

If your still asking something regarded to the deadlock, nothing. I'm 99.9999999999999999999% sure the server will be back tomorrow and you and your closet nerd can play :p

Yhor
07-10-2011, 05:38 AM
If the server is under deadlock right now, you'll need to wait ~4-5 hours from the time of this post before being concerned about server status. This is all normal, and usually doesn't involve a rollback of more than 15-20 minutes prior to the deadlock.

It's the weekend, people have lives (yes, even developers and web administrators) and they'll get the server restarted when it's possible. There is no one on the team that gets paid for a "job" concerning this project, everyone is volunteers and that should be respected... no matter how impatient you might be to play a game that costs you nothing to play.

SmittyStation
07-10-2011, 05:51 AM
haha well said. hahaha love it love it.

Rancor418
07-10-2011, 01:38 PM
If the server is under deadlock right now, you'll need to wait ~4-5 hours from the time of this post before being concerned about server status. This is all normal, and usually doesn't involve a rollback of more than 15-20 minutes prior to the deadlock.

It's the weekend, people have lives (yes, even developers and web administrators) and they'll get the server restarted when it's possible. There is no one on the team that gets paid for a "job" concerning this project, everyone is volunteers and that should be respected... no matter how impatient you might be to play a game that costs you nothing to play.

Great post!

Datawraith
07-10-2011, 04:18 PM

I for one am happy to be able to play the game that I enjoyed so many years ago and can't thank the people enough who volunteer their time in order for people to play this game.
It's great to be back after 8 years away and able to play this game once again. Of all the new games/MMOs that have come out in the past 8 years, none have grabbed my attention the way SWG did pre CU.
Definitely a good thing to remind people of the volunteers who have made this game live once again. :)

islander1
07-10-2011, 04:31 PM
back up now, btw

aftershave82
07-11-2011, 06:18 AM

u are not right. If something is free, that doesnt mean it can be crap, just because it costs u nothing. If someone makes anything, even if thats free or expensive, makes it good, if cant, than doesnt make it.

Yhor
07-11-2011, 06:33 AM
u are not right. If something is free, that doesnt mean it can be crap, just because it costs u nothing. If someone makes anything, even if thats free or expensive, makes it good, if cant, than doesnt make it.

I fail to see where I said, or even implied, that anything free should be substandard. You are barking up the wrong tree here, I promise you that.

If you feel that things are substandard, you might want to email to concerns@swgemu.com and let them know what issues you think need to be brought up to par. If you can't do that, then please make an intelligent point when addressing people in an update announcement thread, whether it be positive, or negative.

In addition to the post you quoted me in, I think it's important for people to realize that there are only select individuals capable of resetting the server for a reason. When the server deadlocks or crashes, error logs of the incident need to be collected in order to fix the issue(s) in the future. For security reasons, only a select few Staff have this access and ability to get these error logs before the server can be restarted. Please keep this in mind for the future and quality of the services provided by the project.