PDA

View Full Version : Network upgrade

Vlada
07-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Network upgrade

July, 2011
The SWGEmu Team

Network upgrade ~ 07/04/2011

We upgrading from 100mbit to a gigabit line on our Denver server (TC: Nova, STM and Liberator).

We thought that a 100mbit/sec line would be more than enough, but because of the way traffic is being calculated we are limited at 30 mbit/sec which we exceed with so many instances logged at the same time.
This upgrade will cost an extra $100 per month, so our server and maintenance costs are now $900.

Due to the network upgrade our IP needs to be changed, DNS has to be updated, etc. Liberator will experience a short downtime period. This downtime will allow our host to finish this network upgrade.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you and we thank you for your patience.

~ The SWGEmu Team

xbang21
07-04-2011, 05:37 PM
nicee good work , been experiancing some lag latley thanks for the upgrade!

Jobe420
07-04-2011, 05:39 PM
This is pimp-tastic news!

decimator656
07-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Nice!

Thank them for their amazing work for me, if you can Vlada.
- : D

stoln
07-04-2011, 05:41 PM
very nice! here let me help with the extra cost some...

Vlada
07-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Nice!

Thank them for their amazing work for me, if you can Vlada.
- : D

No need, you already did. :)

Thank you.

decimator656
07-04-2011, 05:45 PM
No need, you already did. :)

Thank you.

Don't mention it!
If I wasn't such a bum I'd help with the cost in a heartbeat.
Haven't been here that long and I already realize from reading posts how committed some people are to a volunteer project.
!!

orangepowerosu
07-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the network upgrade and the heads up too :)

bigevil
07-04-2011, 05:51 PM
mobandwidth :)

psychosiszz
07-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the update

bigfoob
07-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Sweet. Do you know how long the servers will be down for?

Cernunnos81
07-04-2011, 05:56 PM
right, time to make the happy dances!!! WEWT! Thank you gentlemen, its beautiful thing.

acidanarchy
07-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Excellent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hwE0slNd3Y

Omirah
07-04-2011, 06:01 PM
One more happy :-)

salem
07-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Can't thank you much guys but THANK YOU!!

Vlada
07-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Sweet. Do you know how long the servers will be down for?

No ETA, sorry.

khyronzar
07-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the hard work

Kayliaah
07-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Good news indeed, one step closer to success.

Matanuska
07-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Ossom thx a lot all members of SWGEmu developers /cheer /clap /bow

Locuck
07-04-2011, 06:14 PM
a welcome addition to be sure. Thanks Emu team!

Kadin
07-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I don't have a single question to ask... I just wanted to say, "Thanks!" for doing all you guys do. It's great work at a pretty substantial cost and I'll be sure to donate just as soon as I can. Hoping to be able to make it a monthly contribution soon. :)

makednoce
07-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't have a single question to ask... I just wanted to say, "Thanks!" for doing all you guys do. It's great work at a pretty substantial cost and I'll be sure to donate just as soon as I can. Hoping to be able to make it a monthly contribution soon. :)
Mee too ... Thanks guys for great work ... Saluto!

Dialgo
07-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Awesome! Not too much for a big upgrade!

crp1963
07-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Well worth the down-time...thanks for the great work, guys!
Ni'hilo, Bothan Smuggler in Training

Dansker
07-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the Upgrade, this is great news indeed. Appreciate all you guys are doing for this project.

corbain
07-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the excellent and ongoing work. Admirable dedication. Have donated and will make it monthly soon.

gelasius
07-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

swglysis
07-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this. Will send a donation when I get back to my regular computer.

shensin
07-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Great news, many thanks to all those who contribute to this project.

thelasthallow
07-04-2011, 07:27 PM
So how am i supposed to log in exactly? i know people are on it now (through clan/vent) but i cant seem to log in. all i get is Login server is down

Lebi
07-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks alot SWGEMu team, great news :) plus the downtime has forced me to actually do some work lol so thanks for that too!

SkyGlider
07-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for keeping the community informed. Today was actually my first day on SWGEmu, and I loved it for the time I was online. Threw a little donation your way too, to help keep this game going.

Jaddynnstarr
07-04-2011, 08:03 PM
AWESOME!

/cancelsubscription pron.... /addsubscription to swgEMU!

Vlada
07-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Looks like we are back online.

navaho
07-04-2011, 08:26 PM
The contribute ticker needs to be updated from $800 to $900.

Vlada
07-04-2011, 08:29 PM
The contribute ticker needs to be updated from $800 to $900.

Indeed it does.

Halecon
07-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks alot SWGEMu team, great news :)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TRIo4br3I/AAAAAAAACv4/Zh7_GcMlRKo/s400/ALOT.png

Alot says you're welcome.
;)

Jake489
07-04-2011, 08:46 PM
It's reasons like this that make me feel great about supporting such hard working bad a's. Thanks guys.

Emerzon
07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Very excited to have read this!

Shadowreap
07-04-2011, 09:33 PM
how many mbit = a gig bit ? 1000 ?

DeusNoctis
07-04-2011, 10:10 PM
how many mbit = a gig bit ? 1000 ?

1024 megabits = 1 gigabit = 128 megabytes/sec

Hoihe_Dacino
07-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Danced around with the ewoks of endor to celebrate the upgrade.

TheMostInterestingMan
07-04-2011, 11:01 PM
This is good news indeed :)

corbain
07-05-2011, 07:26 AM
1024 megabits = 1 gigabit = 128 megabytes/sec

Port speed doesn't always equal line speed, as they found out with their 100mb connection only having a line rate of 30mb.

I would be very suprised if they've gone from a 30mb line to a true Gig-e with 1000mb of throughput, that's like an upgrade by a factor of 33!

MarlonB
07-05-2011, 07:28 AM
I must say ... it felt a lot better last night :)

vicrock
07-05-2011, 08:18 AM
good work at investigating bottlenecks- any word on other alleviations that you might pursue?

Vlada
07-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Is Liberator still lagging?

bigevil
07-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Bump for feedback. I was on last night, but was soon after restart.

ledvan
07-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I was still experiancing lag in cnet last night, slightly better than before, but still laggy. Proberly due to the fact that Cnet is the hub for everything at the moment, buffs.. bazaar... crafting.. etc, will prob be ok in the long run when houses are implemented.

stoln
07-05-2011, 01:16 PM
still having lag, but no where near as bad ... in C'net and Esliey both had a chat lag delay. and on occasion a while for the radial menu to update ...

when i left my crafter sampling if it was near more then 1 other person they got logged off after a few hours ...

only 2 times since the upgrade did i actually 'loose connection' while i was playing... where as that would happen on a regular basis before ...

so it has made a difference for sure ...

vicrock
07-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Is Liberator still lagging?

it seems it. been rubber banding on correlia since I logged in at 11am

Bosch
07-05-2011, 06:43 PM
it seems it. been rubber banding on correlia since I logged in at 11amSame here, and I've actually noticed only a minor improvement in lag and an increase in disconnects, which admittedly seems a little counterintuitive.

Lebi
07-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Did seem to be a slight improvement earlier on today, but lag seems to be really bad atm, for me at least and not just in Cnet, been to several planets this evening.

imperialassasin
07-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Liberator probably isn't the best judge for lag.

Dansker
07-06-2011, 11:45 PM
I've been seeing a lot more crafting lag since the upgrade, not only in Cnet, but elsewhere too. I have been getting a lot of disconnects as well, but that started before the upgrade, increased in quantity after. There has been more rubber-banding today then most, however in all honesty, that has been a day to day thing anyway, and probably not related to the upgrade.

General loading lag has gone down though (i.e. Movement, travel load screens, game start-up, etc.)

All in all, looks to be a big upgrade. Thanks for the time spent making this and improving it.

getrusty
07-07-2011, 12:55 AM
cheers! thanks for everything

CDMan477
07-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Lag is still hit or miss with me even on planets and in areas with very small amounts of people. Still having instances of mobs popping up within 30 to 40m of my present location as well, even when on foot. That could be to a different issue all together I suppose. I seem to remember that issue back on live several years back at least for me.

Kyodaikun
07-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Lag is still hit or miss with me even on planets and in areas with very small amounts of people. Still having instances of mobs popping up within 30 to 40m of my present location as well, even when on foot. That could be to a different issue all together I suppose. I seem to remember that issue back on live several years back at least for me.

Yeah, the creature pop up was terrible on live, can't remember how many swoops I lost on Dathomir with rancors appearing on my head.

buva
07-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Great news, keep up the good work.

Kevin08
07-09-2011, 02:55 AM
The lag on Lib is pretty insane right now, on the realm of unplayable.

HarvardAce
07-09-2011, 03:31 AM
While I have noticed some lag, the biggest lag seemed to be when entering populated areas from less-populated areas. For example, I would have minimal lag hunting in the outskirts of c-net. As soon as I got near the Cantina, I would start rubberbanding and any commands would take 20-30 seconds to take effect. However, after about a minute or so things would clear up and then I could proceed with a little bit of lag but probably < 1 second and not terribly noticeable.

smoothmoovs
07-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Was having some insane lag in Mos Eisley today. Bazaar wouldn't come up, bank took forever to finally get money from. I kept bouncing back to somewhere I was 30 seconds before. In other populated towns I was fine and even outside of Eisley. I think I only disconnected once today.

The bouncing back to a previous spot was definitely the worst. I don't remember it this bad before today.

dm040374
07-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Lag has been very bad the last few day's i have never had this bad of lag before and it comes after you had done work on the network.

ledvan
07-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Why cant we upgrade the server more, get triple what we got now.. seeing as we get more donations per month

Vlada
07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
We could do that, but what would be the point?

ledvan
07-10-2011, 03:16 PM
We could do that, but what would be the point?

Because the server is never stable and its always laggy

Vlada
07-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Both of thise are actually caused by the code itself.

CPU is working at 30%, we have loads of RAM so memory leaks are not causing the problems, we had this network upgrade so its not our connection. Only thing left is the code itself.

I'm sure that it can be tweaked and we would probably be able to reduce the lag, to a certain degree, but I don't know how time consuming that would be. I really don't want to waste any more of TheAnswer's time just so we could reduce lag, a bit. Server wont be more stable, since the code it self is prone to crashes and deadlocks.

Another server upgrade at this point would probably be a waste of money.

Lobreeze
07-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Because the server is never stable and its always laggy

Maybe you should actually donate then.

xbitx
07-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Maybe you should actually donate then.

Agreed.

I also agree with Vlada, wouldn't be worth upgrading more when it's known that the dead code Liberator is running isn't efficient in these numbers. (Did we really get that many more people?)

Togno
07-10-2011, 06:43 PM
To the OP
So what will the end user see from this change? Less lockups or better performance or higher population cap or ....?

Vlada
07-10-2011, 06:51 PM
To the OP
So what will the end user see from this change? Less lockups or better performance or higher population cap or ....?

What you see now on Liberator, which is not much.

erminator
07-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Yes the server is running old code but has been since liberator launch, the influx of many more players at once came after the initial network upgrade and didnt take into consideration the population boom,, you can talk old code all you want but anyone with common sense knows that a bandwith taking on a significant increase in client information is going to slow down considerably.

I think were going to have to stick with this on lib for the duration of its remaining days, months as we all want beta ver 1.0 more than a lag free server

Rancor418
07-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Agreed.

I also agree with Vlada, wouldn't be worth upgrading more when it's known that the dead code Liberator is running isn't efficient in these numbers. (Did we really get that many more people?)

I also agree. I know we picked up a bunch of new people the past week

Cherokaa
07-11-2011, 04:01 AM
Time to start moving out, folks. Let's get out of Eisley and Coronet, there are plenty of other cities and planets to spend time on, many of them also have cantinas and med centers. Shoot, there are cities like Mos Espa, Doaba Guerfel, and Moenia which are freaking huge and have all of the amenities of the other major cities yet are nothing but ghost towns. Let's spread out and truly make this galaxy our own.

SchizophrenicMC
07-11-2011, 04:54 AM
Time to start moving out, folks. Let's get out of Eisley and Coronet, there are plenty of other cities and planets to spend time on, many of them also have cantinas and med centers. Shoot, there are cities like Mos Espa, Doaba Guerfel, and Moenia which are freaking huge and have all of the amenities of the other major cities yet are nothing but ghost towns. Let's spread out and truly make this galaxy our own.
Let's stay in Eisley and Cnet, and spread out in large groups to Espa, Moenia, and Doaba Guerfel, at a rate, proportionate to population growth. :P

Anyway, this network upgrade comes as welcome news to me, and a reminder that I desperately need to upgrade my own hardware to stop freezes on my side.

And all this reminds me that I just feel so bad about my too-limited coding experience.

lamikgb
07-11-2011, 05:53 AM
In really, almost all problems with Liberator's Lagonet can migrate into new version. So better to start think about optimisation during current "crash-test".
Just a few things which we must remember:
1. Coronet always hold huge amount of people. Even with JTL and housings.
2. Also some planets can be very popular on future server/
3. We start with newbie char in certain place. Usually it Lagonet and Lag-Eisley.
So developers must think about another server for Coronet probably. Dedicated server for spatial and wide-area mesages like emotes. Or just cut emotes for better perfomance. We can play without emotes (or emotes whispered between user and target) but we cannot play when shuttle dont react till it gone (cuz lag last so long time) or u even cannot move. Time delay between annoying things (ok i can tip only once in 10sec, why i can yell 10 times per second or spam smiles more then once in 1 min or use dice cube with server message in damnit Lagonet, why dice cube generate message like Kreen????). Very helpful was temp ban of chat spammers in Coronet cantina. Continue doing it pls.
How help to unload Coronet:
1. Space shuttles must stay more then minute. It decrease population cuz ppl dont wait 5 min shuttle or again 5 min and again. Also they more offten leave area scince it fast.
2. May be portals to other cities or planets. For craft, xp. So ppl teleport without wasting 5 min of time in each side and free Coronet.
3. Free trainers. Alot ppl use Coronet for find train skills which cost alot for newbs.
4. Events in forgotten areas. SOE used Restuss for it.

caleb10888
07-26-2011, 02:07 AM
Yeah, seen a giant increase of lag for the past month in Coronet because of SWG closing.
Wouldn't hurt to see a decrease in lag.

Xalik
07-27-2011, 09:09 AM
grammar sir, grammar.

Niclo Iste
07-27-2011, 02:43 PM
In really, almost all problems with Liberator's Lagonet can migrate into new version. So better to start think about optimisation during current "crash-test".
Just a few things which we must remember:
1. Coronet always hold huge amount of people. Even with JTL and housings.
2. Also some planets can be very popular on future server/
3. We start with newbie char in certain place. Usually it Lagonet and Lag-Eisley.
So developers must think about another server for Coronet probably. Dedicated server for spatial and wide-area mesages like emotes. Or just cut emotes for better perfomance. We can play without emotes (or emotes whispered between user and target) but we cannot play when shuttle dont react till it gone (cuz lag last so long time) or u even cannot move. Time delay between annoying things (ok i can tip only once in 10sec, why i can yell 10 times per second or spam smiles more then once in 1 min or use dice cube with server message in damnit Lagonet, why dice cube generate message like Kreen????). Very helpful was temp ban of chat spammers in Coronet cantina. Continue doing it pls.
How help to unload Coronet:
1. Space shuttles must stay more then minute. It decrease population cuz ppl dont wait 5 min shuttle or again 5 min and again. Also they more offten leave area scince it fast.
2. May be portals to other cities or planets. For craft, xp. So ppl teleport without wasting 5 min of time in each side and free Coronet.
3. Free trainers. Alot ppl use Coronet for find train skills which cost alot for newbs.
4. Events in forgotten areas. SOE used Restuss for it.

I have a few concerns with your solutions.
1. More shuttles diminishes from the original experience. Often pvp pivoted on timed entry of reinforcement groups to a location, not to mention capturing a fleeing group rather than letting them just vanish after doing a strike.
2. Portals totally takes away from the experience. If we were to do that, why not just have instant crafting, instant harvester yeilds, and other "conveniences" that take away from the game being a star wars one and turning it into stargate or some other such genre.
3. Economics, if you don't have money sinks then everything costs billions of creds, because there is nothing eating up the money the economy has inflation and the value of the credits declines. Check out the Russian Ruple for an example of what happens with inflation.
4. Now this idea you hit the money on. They used to have live events on the holidays when I played and that was fantastic. If there were a way to code in random live events in established cities and possibly large player made cities that would be fun. Say for example an imperial attack force hits a rebel owned town. Or even just swarms of critters because of "migration" or some such reason. That would give some randomness.

Oru
07-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Before we jump into conclusions about the reason of this lag, we have to analyze the situation. I think the real reason for this are technical issues and we won't need altering of much game logic. However we can't inspect this right now on liberator code because OR has marginally changed technical background.