PDA

View Full Version : SWGEmu half-year financial report (first half of 2014)

Vlada
08-14-2014, 10:52 PM
SWGEmu half-year financial report (first half of 2014)

August 2014
The SWGEmu team

SWGEmu half-year financial report (first half of 2014) - 08/15/14

December had a final PayPal account balance of $4,438.57

In January we received $3,160.92 in donations.

January had the following expenses:

• PayPal fee = $186.13
• Hosting Service Inc. = $246.15
• SoftLayer = $1,719.87
• Lomag Internet Services, LLC = $75.00
• K&H Bank = $1,805.00

TOTAL EXPENSES = $4,032.15
January had a total shortfall of $871.23 with a final PayPal account balance of $3,567.34

In February we received $3,198.50 in donations.

February had the following expenses:

• PayPal fee = $186.91
• FDC dedicated servers = $199.00
• Hosting Services, Inc. = $246.15
• Assembla, Inc. = $16.00
• SoftLayer = $1,767.04
• K&H Bank = $881.00

TOTAL EXPENSES = $3,296.10
February had a total shortfall of $97.60 with a final PayPal account balance of $3469.74.

In March we received $2,813.50 in donations

March had the following expenses:

• PayPal fee = $162.22
• FDC dedicated servers = $199.00
• SoftLayer = $1,625.30
• Assembla, Inc. = $19.00
• K&H Bank = $681.80

TOTAL EXPENSES = $2,933.47
March had a total shortfall of $119.97 with a final PayPal account balance of $3,350.57.

In April we received $2,736.27 in donations

April had the following expenses:

• PayPal fee = $159.19
• Lomag Internet Services, LLC = $75.00
• SoftLayer = 1,197.57
• FDC dedicated servers = $159.00
• RFE Hosting = $93.57
• K&H Bank = $863.18

TOTAL EXPENSES = $2,812.66

April had a total shortfall of $76.39 with a final PayPal account balance of $3,274.18.

In May we received $3,709.49 in donations

May had the following expenses:

• PayPal fee = $209.15
• RFE Hosting = $93.57
• SoftLayer = $1,186.19
• K&H Bank = $1,600.18

TOTAL EXPENSES = $3,513.24
May had a a total excess of $196.25 with a final PayPal account balance of $3,470.43.

In June we received $2,808.98 in donations

June had the following expenses:

• PayPal fee = $168.42
• SoftLayer = $1,250.03
• Dynamic Network Services Inc. = $25.00
• Hosting Services, Inc. = $20.00
• RFE Hosting = $93.57
• K&H Bank = $468.18

TOTAL EXPENSES = $2,184.20
June had a total excess of $624.78 with a final PayPal account balance of $4,095.21.

NOTE: K&H Bank is our Hungarian bank account from which we pay NPO fees, accounting and lawyer fees.
NOTE2: Like we said before, ****** have acknowledged that they received our email but we are yet to see a real reply from them.

~ The SWGEmu Team

krein
08-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Good to see some Excesses. I'm still a little worried about the ****** thing :( Hopefully we get a reply soon!

decastro
08-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Good to see some Excesses. I'm still a little worried about the ****** thing :( Hopefully we get a reply soon!
The excess is good but I think we should be optimistic over the whole situation.

Mojawk
08-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all your hard work, only came back to the game last week and having a blast!

speeque
08-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted on this.

I have thrown in a few chips in the pot along the way as a small thanks for the awesome job you are doing to bring the pre-cu era back :clap::)

Kelanos
08-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Thank you for the update. :)

Javier1994
09-19-2014, 10:19 PM
4k leftin june?i realy dont want to know the account balance now,this is not good...i'm realy realy scared of the day when the paypal account will be empty,unfortunately i cant donate,i already got a ****y salary at mcdonald's and not planing to work more then a month because 6 hours i have to spend at work and another 5-7 at academy,so basicly i barely got time to sleep,i'm sorry.I realy can't.

Shadi1007
09-20-2014, 08:54 PM
*edit

Nvm.

You guys seem to be doing very well with the small amount of money you're getting.

Mininolan
09-25-2014, 02:02 PM
why are you paying ibm so much to host the server

Vlada
09-25-2014, 02:18 PM
why are you paying ibm so much to host the server

ibm?

Gaje
09-25-2014, 04:12 PM
We are not closed down yet, so ****** cant be too worried, good to see the finances look steady

amh007
09-25-2014, 04:56 PM
ibm?

SoftLayer is IBM-owned, but I don't really understand the question either. SL has always been expensive/quality.

Vlada
09-25-2014, 05:39 PM
SoftLayer is IBM-owned, but I don't really understand the question either. SL has always been expensive/quality.

Fact is we renegotiated prices and they are actually 60% or 70% lower than when they were in the second half of 2013.

sleepwalker
10-20-2014, 03:15 AM
Like Vlada said, the only cause of the downward spiral is the lawyer fees. That's not a reason not to donate but a simple yes or no from ****** could solve our financial issue.

Big companies are like big government. When they see something they want to get rid of they generally play the financial game with them, which is letting things take as long as possible until the other party runs out of money and can't win.

Unfortunately, I used to work at ******. Sure, I worked in the IT dept, but I still mingled with all the other dept's. obviously. They do not let IP fall through the cracks, ever. They normally maintain a stranglehold on all IP even if it is simply shelved never to be used again. I will say this however... the ONE thing you have going for you right now is a prior agreement with SOE. ****** may be asshats when it comes to IP, but they are also deadly serious about agreements/contracts almost to a fault. If EMU has proof of an agreement with SOE, ****** will bite the bullet. If not, I expect this to be closed down as soon as they find the time to get around to it, and every single one of us who played it, will get a bill in the mail from the Mouse. ok, im joking about that last part, but after being under their employ... I'm only half joking.

Even if we are legally in the right, ****** has the money to drown us in bogus lawsuits. Sadly, it's a fairly common practice for large corporations to just financially destroy smaller projects even if said projects aren't doing anything wrong.

Are lawyer costs an ongoing factor, or was the $5,500 for letters the end of it? This seems like it could be a major threat to the project if it's ongoing.

Trady
10-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I regularly see 1500 server pop so if we all just donated $3 per month then all is groovy!

T.

justin210485
10-24-2014, 08:39 AM
$3-$5 month is very do able even with my broke ***.

Blahw
10-27-2014, 06:54 PM
$3-$5 month is very do able even with my broke ***.

im broke but im donating :)

darkliefSG
10-29-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm just seeing this. I wasn't aware that financials were posted, it's great that this is transparent for the community, even more reason to support the EMU.

Just a few observations about ******/Lucas:

I live and work in the SF Bay Area, and have worked in the Gaming industry here. I have a few friends at LA, ******, as well as a number of other shops big and small. My observation is that no news from ****** is probably good news for the project. ****** understands a few things, one is that in the acquisition they also acquired a bunch of various communities of, sometimes rabid, SW fans. They also understand that leaving those communities alone, and in many cases actually supporting their efforts either overtly or though omission is in their best interest. Every SW fan is a potential paying customer for ****** and they know that.

You are not dealing with SOE here, of any organization ****** understands two things better than any entertainment company that has ever existed a) Marketing and b) How to extract money from its consumers. This isn't a slam on them, if anything its a compliment, it's something they are really good at (if you have children you probably already know this). That said they also understand the downstream consequences of snuffing out a community driven project like SWGemu, because those community members are probably involved in other non-game SW communities (501'st is a great example of this) so any action taken has exponential downstream consequences.

If there is anything the Gaming industry learned from the handling of SWG by SOE it's the impact of exponential downstream consequences on the bottom line. SOE is barely recovering from this hit to their reputation still 10 years on, at least here it is in the epicenter of where games are born and developed. Things like "Don't pull a Smedly on your community" are still heard in conference rooms here. And there are devs that flat out refuse to work at shops with bad reputations around Gaming communities.

****** wants no part of a marketing nightmare like that. They understand marketing and money and avoid any bad publicity like the plague, any action against a SW community would be viewed very negatively by SW fans and the industry here, which is something they definitely can't afford, given their game production efforts here.

So my observation is no news is probably good news, they know economic goodwill means you will probably go see the next ****** SW film and continue to take your Family to ******land and buy SW related ****** merch. And this for them has way more upside than attempting to snuff out a community driven project of passionate SW fans.

Just my 2 credits

Vlada
10-29-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm just seeing this. I wasn't aware that financials were posted, it's great that this is transparent for the community, even more reason to support the EMU.

I live and work in the SF Bay Area, and have worked in the Gaming industry here. I have a few friends at LA, ******, as well as a number of other shops big and small. My observation is that no news from ****** is probably good news for the project. ****** understands a few things, one is that in the acquisition they also acquired a bunch of various communities of, sometimes rabid, SW fans. They also understand that leaving those communities alone, and in many cases actually supporting their efforts either overtly or though omission is in their best interest. Every SW fan is a potential paying customer for ****** and they know that.

You are not dealing with SOE here, of any organization ****** understands two things better than any entertainment company that has ever existed a) Marketing and b) How to extract money from its consumers. This isn't a slam on them, if anything its a compliment, it's something they are really good at (if you have children you probably already know this). That said they also understand the downstream consequences of snuffing out a community driven project like SWGemu, because those community members are probably involved in other non-game SW communities (501'st is a great example of this) so any action taken has exponential downstream consequences.

If there is anything the Gaming industry learned from the handling of SWG by SOE it's the impact of exponential downstream consequences on the bottom line. SOE is barely recovering from this hit to their reputation still 10 years on, at least here it is in the epicenter of where games are born and developed. Things like "Don't pull a Smedly on your community" are still heard in conference rooms here. And there are devs that flat out refuse to work at shops with bad reputations around Gaming communities.

****** wants no part of a marketing nightmare like that. They understand marketing and money and avoid any bad publicity like the plague, any action against a SW community would be viewed very negatively by SW fans and the industry here, which is something they definitely can't afford, given their game production efforts here.

So my observation is no news is probably good news, they know economic goodwill means you will probably go see the next ****** SW film and continue to take your Family to ******land and buy SW related ****** merch. And this for them has way more upside than attempting to snuff out a community driven project of passionate SW fans.

Just my 2 credits

I am inclined to agree with this.

Iadi
10-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Got back after a long break and was looking in the forums and noticed I have been a member since 2011 , Wow has things ever changed since :D Was doing a recap of all my time spent remembering and rediscovering the game and decided to make a donation because this is a great project about a great game that has yet to be surpassed !

Long live EMU !

makednoce
11-07-2014, 10:20 AM

Just my 2 credits

Well said, but ****** will allow this project to continue.This project is too small for them to notice and handle with it (for now).
Untill SWGEMU becomes financial threat to ****** this project will continue.
I only see a solution when SWGEMU is finished with 1.0, they send letter to ****** that they have finished their project to the point were it can make money.So in that case ****** will have to rebuy the code from SWGEMU developers and merge with Star Wars naming rights.Because 1.0 is diferent from the original SWG code and it is unique and SWGEMU developers have the rights to sell it on the market.The only problem is in Star Wars names witch ****** owns now.But as Lucas Arts said ****** obligated to preserve all SW community and not destroy it, so in some point in time they will have to offer a contract to SWGEMU devs. (my 2 denars).

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s490/makednoce/vladamikki_zps989f22a7.jpg

Mabin3
11-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Well said, but ****** will allow this project to continue.This project is too small for them to notice and handle with it (for now).
Untill SWGEMU becomes financial threat to ****** this project will continue.
I only see a solution when SWGEMU is finished with 1.0, they send letter to ****** that they have finished their project to the point were it can make money.So in that case ****** will have to rebuy the code from SWGEMU developers and merge with Star Wars naming rights.Because 1.0 is diferent from the original SWG code and it is unique and SWGEMU developers have the rights to sell it on the market.The only problem is in Star Wars names witch ****** owns now.But as Lucas Arts said ****** obligated to preserve all SW community and not destroy it, so in some point in time they will have to offer a contract to SWGEMU devs. (my 2 denars).[/CENTER]

SWGEmu will never become a financial threat to ******. ****** has 81 billion dollars worth of assets. SWGEmu has a bank account with $4,000 in it. That's $4,000 vs. $81,000,000,000. SWGEMU could get a hundred times bigger and not even be a 81,000th of a care to ******.

****** isn't going to buy SWGEmu. You know how much of a nightmare that transaction would be? No company in their right mind would set themselves up for that amount of litigation from Sony. You know, the company that has over 15x amount of money that ****** does. And Sony has no reason to shut down SWGEMU because it'd be spending money on something they can't get any more money out of.

The only threat I could see developing is EA. If a SWGEMU release is coupled with a massive decline in SWTOR, we may see either EA or EA's influence with ****** try to make some kind of litigation happen. As others have mentioned, this would likely bring bad press for ******. And although EA has the rights to develop Star Wars games, it's EA who wants to please ******, not the other way around.

RM706
11-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Barbara Quinn of ****** IP department purchased and renewed the "Star Wars Galaxies" trademark in December.

Reference: http://www.trademarkia.com/star-wars-galaxies-76329360.html

It's not looking like ****** has any interest in SWGemu. ****** seems to have done a 180..."[******] now seems to realize that fan-created content — even in cases where that content is generating revenue that is not captured by ****** — is cross-promotional marketing that money can’t buy."

Reference: http://www.salon.com/2014/05/23/how_******_learned_to_stop_worrying_and_love_copyr ight_infringement/

alix
11-09-2014, 03:49 PM
I am a huge fan of this game, and am thankful for the original developers, midway developers and the current developers, without them we wouldnt not have a game to play. What i do not understand is why limit the world, reduce drop ratio's, not spawn elders randomly around dath? This is just a test server yes, but one you need donations to upkeep and none of my friends, over 200 will play the current version because it is mildly lame (strictly based on the cool stuff we used to loot) I have a masters in Micro economics and financial analysis and money movement and would like to share my expertise to revitalize the game. I am going to get flamed, and frankly, i expect it because if there is one thing i know about dealing with programmers and such is that they are righteous and egotistical, which is fine, so am I, but what i do know is that even if you have a small portion of the community saying yay this is the way we want it, the others will just leave. I say, keep the loot ratios the way that they are but make the higher end mobs like elders drop weapons worth calling home to mom for. I was flamed last time cause everyone was like "this is how it was in Live".... Well maybe if you only experienced half the game.

All i am asking for is 2-3% greater chance to loot weapons that dont get deleted cause they suck, random world spawn for night sister elders and alike (they were there before) and just an added element to let the people that enjoy the leet setting have their fun too. Dont let your idea of what you believe is right sway your judgment, cause in the end, you would have done it for nothing. \

Flame me all you want, double guns to all that do. I miss the game for what it was and wish the vision would be shared by my fellow fans.

Also, why not bring back jedi even if it is broken, GIVE ME A REASON TO DONATE>

Miztah
11-09-2014, 03:57 PM
I am a huge fan of this game, and am thankful for the original developers, midway developers and the current developers, without them we wouldnt not have a game to play. What i do not understand is why limit the world, reduce drop ratio's, not spawn elders randomly around dath? This is just a test server yes, but one you need donations to upkeep and none of my friends, over 200 will play the current version because it is mildly lame (strictly based on the cool stuff we used to loot) I have a masters in Micro economics and financial analysis and money movement and would like to share my expertise to revitalize the game. I am going to get flamed, and frankly, i expect it because if there is one thing i know about dealing with programmers and such is that they are righteous and egotistical, which is fine, so am I, but what i do know is that even if you have a small portion of the community saying yay this is the way we want it, the others will just leave. I say, keep the loot ratios the way that they are but make the higher end mobs like elders drop weapons worth calling home to mom for. I was flamed last time cause everyone was like "this is how it was in Live".... Well maybe if you only experienced half the game.

All i am asking for is 2-3% greater chance to loot weapons that dont get deleted cause they suck, random world spawn for night sister elders and alike (they were there before) and just an added element to let the people that enjoy the leet setting have their fun too. Dont let your idea of what you believe is right sway your judgment, cause in the end, you would have done it for nothing. \

Flame me all you want, double guns to all that do. I miss the game for what it was and wish the vision would be shared by my fellow fans.

Also, why not bring back jedi even if it is broken, GIVE ME A REASON TO DONATE>

No. This is also not the proper location for this discussion. You're welcome to post your dead horse beating topic in Future Server Ideas.

alix
11-09-2014, 04:46 PM
LOl thats what i mean... Dead Horse Beating Topic.... There is a reason that the poor dead horse is still being beaten. And i think this is a perfect spot for it. If you want to sustain a more consistent donation pool, you should stop trying to make people feel dumb and w/e you are right no one cares, lol reminds me of SOE, so i guess at least we can simulate that. Thanks for your poor response.

Miztah
11-09-2014, 05:04 PM
LOl thats what i mean... Dead Horse Beating Topic.... There is a reason that the poor dead horse is still being beaten. And i think this is a perfect spot for it. If you want to sustain a more consistent donation pool, you should stop trying to make people feel dumb and w/e you are right no one cares, lol reminds me of SOE, so i guess at least we can simulate that. Thanks for your poor response.
Development of this project will continue with or without donations. The only thing a lack of donations will do is make Basilisk go away, our development process will stay the same.

We're emulating 14.1, that is the scope of the project. It's been stated hundreds of times before. We're not looking for feedback on improving the game or your opinion on how to get more donations. Once our 14.1 goal is reached, the team that handles Suncrusher will start considering player feedback on game improvements.

alix
11-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Sorry, i missed the we dont care about your opinions thread. I just have to ask a question then i will leave and not post my "opinions" anymore. Why do all of this? Once the game is at 14.1, will you be giving the code out as open source or will it go to the hands of the next set of programming elitists?

Vlada
11-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Sorry, i missed the we dont care about your opinions thread. I just have to ask a question then i will leave and not post my "opinions" anymore. Why do all of this? Once the game is at 14.1, will you be giving the code out as open source or will it go to the hands of the next set of programming elitists?

It will go to anyone who wants it.

Our goals are not up for debate. This is a development project, we never claimed it was anything but that. We are not hosting servers for anyone's amusement, they are our development tools and they serve a purpose, if donations run out we will simply shut down Basilisk and continue running Nova if we can. In the end, none of this "shiny" stuff is necessary. Team can host their internal test server, we can make it invite only and development will go on until project goals are met. Of course we wont be able to stress test our code but i guess we can worry about it at some later date, or just let future server admins Beta and stress test it on their own. They are the ones that will be maintaining servers and taking care of updates after 1.0 is released anyway.

So if you want to share your opinion on anything post 1.0 related, feel free to do so in Future server ideas and maybe folks that will be hosting servers post 1.0 will take under advisement. If you want to help us finish what we started, start coding or just log on to TC: Nova and start testing and reporting bugs. Or if you just want to play, you can do that to. But please, don't waste our time with stuff that is not important for this project in this stage of development.

seraphella
11-12-2014, 06:47 PM
I have been around the forums for a while now, and recently started trying out the project again. Last time I tried it was a few years ago and nothing worked yet. I'm quite impressed at how smooth things are running now. What is released now is a far better game than how SWG was during the launch week. Thanks a lot for all your work. I've made a small donation and hope others will to. Happy Hunting!

Murkanator
11-13-2014, 07:32 AM
I can honestly say, that I would donate quite often if the server had JTL. I been watching this website off and on for 6 years now.
$3 per month? try $200 a month for me alone. I miss it so much it makes me not care about money, but then again I never really did care for money.
What I do care about, was the JTL multi-crew ship mechanics and blowing up Star Destroyers, and Corvettes.

1 of 2 things WILL happen from this point forward, let me list them now for you.

1. This server continues to fail more than succeed at monthly costs, due to the lack of JTL and eventually shuts down.

or

2. JTL gets re-birthed a ton of cash flow comes in, and then ****** shuts it down.

I will leave the future of the game up to the devs at this point, but seriously 1700 people online minus alts.. is pry maybe 400 ish players.

P.S. ****** would NEVER pay the devs ANYTHING for the re-code period, Only shut it down and hire 20 times as many coders to get it done quicker.
The only money to be had here for all the swgemu staffs work is release JTL. Plus there is a new SWG coming but not in the Star Wars universe which makes me personally not want to play it.. EVER

Murkanator

Vlada
11-13-2014, 07:54 AM
I can honestly say, that I would donate quite often if the server had JTL. I been watching this website off and on for 6 years now.
$3 per month? try $200 a month for me alone. I miss it so much it makes me not care about money, but then again I never really did care for money.
What I do care about, was the JTL multi-crew ship mechanics and blowing up Star Destroyers, and Corvettes.

1 of 2 things WILL happen from this point forward, let me list them now for you.

1. This server continues to fail more than succeed at monthly costs, due to the lack of JTL and eventually shuts down.

or

2. JTL gets re-birthed a ton of cash flow comes in, and then ****** shuts it down.

I will leave the future of the game up to the devs at this point, but seriously 1700 people online minus alts.. is pry maybe 400 ish players.

P.S. ****** would NEVER pay the devs ANYTHING for the re-code period, Only shut it down and hire 20 times as many coders to get it done quicker.
The only money to be had here for all the swgemu staffs work is release JTL. Plus there is a new SWG coming but not in the Star Wars universe which makes me personally not want to play it.. EVER

Murkanator

There is so much wring in this its ridiculous.

P.S. We always had over 1k unique IP's online, wich means at least 1k different people, and that doesnt include family members that play through same internet connection. Sure there were always AFK toons, but that number has always been between 1/3 and 1/4 of the server population, still way above 1k. If we compare those numbers to what we have from SOE live servers, we can only come to a conclusion that even on a bad day, Bas is more populated than almost all Live servers back in the day.

pstrawberrie
11-13-2014, 08:46 AM
As Vlada said, SWGEmu has succeeded and inspired > 1k unique IPs to date. I have no doubt it will continue to do so into the future. Even without a strong inclination towards SW, being a MMO fan and having played the majority of MMO titles from 2000 to 2009, I can tell you that the unique approach SWG brings to the MMO genre is genius, short-lived, and ought to have its rightful rebirth. The SWG vision is a masterpiece - it is a beautiful, community-driven, complex, sandbox-style MMO that will be remembered and taken from for years and years to come. This development team is doing something very admirable: taking a game and giving it to the players to build however they wish (post 1.0, of course).

Do you have any idea how many RO/WoW/blah blah servers I've seen collapse in the past 8 years? This dev team is a miracle. It boggles my brain to have been present at the the onset of this project and realize that it is still going strong. Nothing like this happens - ever - especially if the dev team isn't pocketing cash.

I <3 SWGEmu team - this project is amazing. It is more than a game. It is more than a project.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is nothing can bring this ship down. It's sailing to the end!!!! WooooooooooooooH!

^____________^

Murkanator
11-13-2014, 10:34 AM
back in the day, 1 thousand players was a drop in the bucket. Even at 1000 IP address's that is nothing in comparison to how many new IP's would flood to YOUR servers with JTL.
So you are telling me my estimate of 400 ish, is actually dwarfed by 600 more players who cares, I do not mean to offend here, I am just saying even 10,000 IP's would mean more potential donations and help keep this alive.

I also understand CH is a big *** deal and kudos for that becoming a reality, well done seriously, as it is the second hardest thing to code IMHO. But I lived in space on SOE's servers, and I know for a fact,
that your facebook page, and twitter, and ProjectSWG (Total joke group by the way, way behind you guys :D) The players need at least free travel among planets, start there PLEASE.
It does not have to start with full on space wars like me and many others love, but free space flight is a big deal and even just seeing a ship on the spaceport terminal adds to the immersion.

If ****** wants this ship to sink, oh it will sink alright, but heck at least give them a reason to be scared. Hiding in the shadows is why we only have 1000 unique IP's

Vlada, you do realize this game used to have 500,000 or more unique IP's right???

John Smedley, would NOT care about 1000 IP's Guys..

Murkanator

Vlada
11-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Oh you poor misguided soul. I know we all like to remember SWG as to "good old days" but its time to take off our rose-tinted glasses and realize that Server cap on SOE servers was 3K same as ours, and that at its peak SWG had just 300k subscribers.

http://i.imgur.com/y6YJUpe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lGRkXeL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EeeRdXP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vA0howg.jpg

ate Posted: Feb 4, 2006 #1 (http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/swg-server-loads-revealed-deleted-off-the-oe-boards.109251731/) <article>
Quoted from the boards.... Posted here so the truth gets out.
----------------------------------------
β€œk, here is the list of the servers, and the population of players currently logged in...

ID: 24 - Name: Europe-Infinity - IP: 195.33.138.101 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0334
ID: 23 - Name: Europe-FarStar - IP: 195.33.138.75 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0133
ID: 22 - Name: Europe-Chimaera - IP: 195.33.138.41 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0331
ID: 1C - Name: Shadowfire - IP: 199.108.197.130 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0518
ID: 1B - Name: Wanderhome - IP: 199.108.197.103 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0462
ID: 1A - Name: Tarquinas - IP: 199.108.197.87 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0456
ID: 19 - Name: Starsider - IP: 199.108.197.50 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0414
ID: 13 - Name: Tempest - IP: 199.108.7.148 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0457
ID: 12 - Name: Valcyn - IP: 199.108.7.111 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0455
ID: 11 - Name: Sunrunner - IP: 199.108.7.73 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0493
ID: 10 - Name: Scylla - IP: 199.108.7.50 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0457
ID: 0F - Name: Naritus - IP: 199.108.8.137 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0496
ID: 0E - Name: Kettemoor - IP: 199.108.8.117 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0522
ID: 0D - Name: Intrepid - IP: 199.108.6.178 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0456
ID: 0C - Name: Flurry - IP: 199.108.6.133 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0473
ID: 0B - Name: Radiant - IP: 199.108.198.70 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0266
ID: 0A - Name: Lowca - IP: 199.108.198.36 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0227
ID: 09 - Name: Kauri - IP: 199.108.196.178 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0245
ID: 08 - Name: Gorath - IP: 199.108.196.131 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0271
ID: 07 - Name: Eclipse - IP: 199.108.196.101 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0397
ID: 06 - Name: Chilastra - IP: 199.108.196.84 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0357
ID: 05 - Name: Bloodfin - IP: 199.108.196.40 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0441
ID: 04 - Name: Corbantis - IP: 199.108.6.105 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0460
ID: 03 - Name: Ahazi - IP: 199.108.6.79 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0520
ID: 02 - Name: Bria - IP: 199.108.6.53 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0722

of course i should'nt have this info but i have friends who like to hack.
believe it or not this is the real info.β€

END QUOTE
LINK: http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=swggpdiscussion&message.id=433038

More info....

-These server numbers were taken sometime on Friday evening. I do not know how they were obtained other than the OP (name was: neowarderdude) saying that they were β€œhackedβ€ by his friends.

-These numbers do not show how many total subs are on each server, rather, it’s a β€œsnapshot in timeβ€ of how many people are on each server at the time the numbers were obtained (primetime Friday).

-Whether or not these numbers are legit no one can say definitively one way or the other... Apparently, if you do a Yahoo search for those IP’s, they do show up as actual SWG IP for those servers.

http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=XFire&file=profile&uname=g33p33

-As to how SOE has the server pop's adjusted, he said:
"neowarderdude wrote:
Full = 3000
Extreamly Heavy = 1500
Very Heavy = 1200
Heavy = 900
Medium = 600
Light = 300
Very Light = 0

my friend gave me that list, and that's how it calculated before NGE (but he thinks they've changed it a bit since NGE)"

- This may be of some significance:
"neowarderdude wrote:
Did you substitute the word population for the actual connections to each given port and does it include all the sub for the ip's

The numbers that are given to the client when it connects to the logon server, it uses those numbers to determine how full the server is. My friend use to see numbers in the 1500-2000 range with bria hitting 3000"

-Quick Stats: 10,363 people total
Most people on a server: Bria
Bria’s Population: 722 (conceptually speaking approx 60 people per planet)

Least amount of people: Lowca
Lowca’s population: 227 (conceptually speaking approx 18 people per planet)
Note, I ignored Europe-FareStar server’s pop (of 113) b/c it’s not in its prime time there.

-Also, interestinly enough these numbers echo the Cube Stats from that much debated friday feature:
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/en_US/players/content.vm?page=Lost%20Treasure&resource=features </article>
legacyAccount (http://www.ign.com/boards/members/legacyaccount.254/), Feb 4, 2006 (http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/swg-server-loads-revealed-deleted-off-the-oe-boards.109251731/)

Its not prety, but it is what it is.

RM706
11-13-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't always agree with Vlada, but when I do .... DAMN!! Someone got served LOL /justsayin

But on a serious note, I have always wondered what the server pop on Valcyn was ... in my minds eye I thought 20,000 ROFL
1700 concurrent users seems perfect to me.

gunn0r
11-13-2014, 01:30 PM
If you play, you should really donate imo. Especially if you have played for more than a few months and have more than one character.

seraphella
11-13-2014, 08:04 PM
I'd love to see JTL too, it was a good expansion, but there's an order to things. If we're lucky, maybe when they've gotten the core game to work in a way they want, maybe then they'll work on implementing JTL. Until then, if you like what they've done so far, and are playing swgemu, show them some appreciation. I'm no programmer, so I don't understand precisely how much work they've put into this, but it's a pretty safe bet to guess that it is a lot. Just look at how many years they've been at this.
Thanks again guys, just wish I checked back here a few months ago before wasting my cash on the warlords of draenor pre-order. ;) I know I'll be spending more time here than back on wow.

nee2earth
11-13-2014, 08:47 PM
but there's an order to things. If we're lucky, maybe when they've gotten the core game to work in a way they want, maybe then they'll work on implementing JTL.

It won't take "luck" and it's not a matter of "maybe" .

It's been stated many many times over the past couple years: JTL will be addressed in-earnest once the ground game is completed to satisfaction.

And remember, there are lots of ways to 'donate' other than just monetary.

Naylor07
11-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Vlada with the smack down. The dude is a troll and annoying at that. To me, I don't care about JTL, I would rather have a perfected ground game and no JTL than JTL and tons of issues with the ground game.

alix
11-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Thank you Vlada for giving a genuine response. I agree with everything you said and appreciate you taking the time to explain it with out being a smart ace. I respect whom ever is part of the roject and i thank you for that.

ToiletDuck
11-16-2014, 08:05 PM
You got my $20 a month

Slazer
11-16-2014, 09:15 PM
That smack-down from Vlada just got my money, as soon as I have a more reliable income to donate with. Hot damn, I love devs and mods who aren't shy about putting trolls in their place with cold, hard facts.

zabrakwith
11-26-2014, 06:26 PM
I remember when all that population stuff went down on SOE's forums. It was funny and sad all at the same time.

I've been with SWGEMU from the very beginning and will see it though (to hopefully a release of their own server). The project has surpassed my expectations, especially with those few first years which were a bit of a rocky road. The contributors (devs, QA, mods, testers, etc) have done an outstanding job and we all owe them a million thanks.

As for the financial bit- I think as a finished product gets closer more people will come back. There are a lot of lurkers. A lot of people either:
A- Don't want to test
or
B- Don't want to spend so much time into a play server that's going to get wiped

I wouldn't ever worry about support, JTL or not. The daily population is very healthy for an pre-released play server. In fact, I think it is more populated than Shadowfire was for most of it's history. I never have problems finding people, even in the most remote places and cities.

The only thing I think about sometimes is when is the project truly ever going to be "done"? There will always be bugs. There will always be something to work on. I started following EMU without kids. Now I have one old enough to play with me on the server! I would be completely fine with a release without JTL or jedi implemented, just like when SOEs servers went live. I just don't want to be a grandpa by the time things are "done" ;)

Dak2099
11-27-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm a newcomer to SWG Emu (played less than a month), but would gladly pay a subscription to this version. I used to love this game like many others of you here. If people are willing to pay a fee to enjoy other MMORPGs out there why not this one? I cancelled my subscription to another Star Wars game because I didn't think it matched up to this one.

My monthly donation to the Emu team is well earned in my opinion, without the players donations, how do they expect to get game improvements, how do they expect to ever get JTL released? Any suggestions?

The game improvements are a long winding road, why walk when you can all chip in to buy a speeder and get there a lot quicker?

davidswgemu
11-28-2014, 06:31 PM
So much drama in this thread :/

eci1
11-28-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm a web developer working on an SWG EMU fan site. In fact I've been a fan of SWG since beta over a decade ago. Even rode it through the NGE virus, and play EMU today. On my site, I periodically update a linked graphic on the home page that shows the monthly contribution totals as a percent of costs. Many in this thread have said players should pay. I feel so strongly about that that I do two things besides showing that graphic.

SWG-EMU is on my billpay schedule with automatic monthly payments. The second is I'm often campaigning in the game and within the guild with the phrase, if you've played this game for more than a month, you should contribute. I've even pointed out, "How greedy are we if we can accept the product of the dev team to our pleasure, then not reciprocate. Does anyone really think it's ok to enjoy the game and allow the volunteer devs to also cough up the cash and time to run the servers?"

Clearly there are such people, and I don't want to know them. But I keep trying with that message because I believe that there are many who just aren't aware. I, and my guildies, are seeking to change that.

Tetnikruune
11-29-2014, 11:14 AM
I saw those numbers, and I can believe it...even at the height, Chilastra never seemed to be all that populated. Unlike Sony and Blizzard, you guys at least seem to listen to the majority of the fanbase and make plans accordingly. My wife just told me that you are making CH happen, so kudos there. It's been long awaited, and part of why I gave it up for a while.

If somebody reading this is trying to decide whether or not to donate, then consider this: We have been forced to give so much to big companies like SOE, Blizzard, NCSoft, and the like for games that promised much and failed to deliver, but still charged us $15-$20 a month to figure out that this polished turd would never deliver, and was just roping us in for another ride on the corporate baloney pole. Isn't a homegrown, fan-oriented service like SWGEMU that asks for nothing but our patience (since it's all VOLUNTEER) and the occasional donation of a UNSPECIFIED amount worth a little of our charity?

In short, YES! If communities like this fail to support themselves, where will you be down the road when no new communities like this spring up? Riding the baloney pole, that's where.

I'm off to chip in $10 bucks. You guys should give what you can... $1.00 is still 0.83 (after paypal fees) in the right direction.

-Dan

P.S. Guys, Put a Donate button at the top of the home page, I'm too lazy to hunt for it! (I found it at the top of the Forums page!)

makednoce
11-29-2014, 11:38 AM
If somebody reading this is trying to decide whether or not to donate, then consider this: We have been forced to give so much to big companies like SOE, Blizzard, NCSoft, and the like for games that promised much and failed to deliver, but still charged us $15-$20 a month to figure out that this polished turd would never deliver, and was just roping us in for another ride on the corporate baloney pole. Isn't a homegrown, fan-oriented service like SWGEMU that asks for nothing but our patience (since it's all VOLUNTEER) and the occasional donation of a UNSPECIFIED amount worth a little of our charity?

Big companies don't care about player base, they only care about money and profit. This project what we have here is unique and we should all be proud of it, not just the devs but the players also.

Skillfulist
11-30-2014, 12:08 AM
ID: 13 - Name: Tempest - IP: 199.108.7.148 - PortA: 44463 - PortB: 44462 - Population: 0457

Ah Tempest fond fond memories there.

newnie
11-30-2014, 01:43 AM
It's been a while since I've checked in on the project but I started back up a couple weeks ago. I love the progress that's being made :)

Mad props to the devs & community leaders who are able to deal with people complaining that stuff isn't the way they want it, or parts certain parts aren't done yet -- especially when those complaining haven't even donated a dime.

gregjam
11-30-2014, 03:16 AM
I think the progress and updates have been fantastic. I don't understand any complaining ... we could have nothing at all. Thanks to everyone involved for all that you do.

Merigold
11-30-2014, 11:28 PM
I just don't want to be a grandpa by the time things are "done" ;)
I'm already in grandma mode, if and when my son gets busy (he's 34 for crying out loud), and would really like to live long enough to see the permanent server/game. That's why I donate on a monthly basis thinking that this will help speed up things a bit, lol. Also watching my diet to ensure I'm going to live a long and happy life playing SWG into my dotage.

sumion
12-05-2014, 01:45 AM
I'm already in grandma mode, if and when my son gets busy (he's 34 for crying out loud), and would really like to live long enough to see the permanent server/game. That's why I donate on a monthly basis thinking that this will help speed up things a bit, lol. Also watching my diet to ensure I'm going to live a long and happy life playing SWG into my dotage.

You are awesome. ;)

Shiva007
12-12-2014, 05:19 PM
i dont get it, didn't ****** buy LucasArts AFTER this game was killed?
i know nothing about copyrights but they JUSt bought LucasArts a couple years ago?
SWG was abandoned?
i need coffee.....

Shiva007
12-12-2014, 05:32 PM
the Devs and this community is the only SWG i have ever gotten to play.
i had friends payin the 15 a month to SOE back in 04-05,and watched them play on the live servers.
i even got to see SOE stab themselves in the foot with the CU/NGE update,watching my full temp BH buddy log in and see all his hard work get pissed on. he uninstalled the game and never looked back.this friend is the one who introduced me to SWGemu and the fun to be had here. i would donate to help support this project but the bottom line is i can not afford even to lose 10 a month. yes things are that tight,when my situation changes then iwill happily dontate to the project. before the first wipe way back when i had full temp combat medic and had a blast with it,am building again on basilisk. just wanted to thank the people involved,the devs and the players...you guys are AWESOME!!

Vlada
12-12-2014, 07:22 PM
i dont get it, didn't ****** buy LucasArts AFTER this game was killed?
i know nothing about copyrights but they JUSt bought LucasArts a couple years ago?
SWG was abandoned?
i need coffee.....

Yes they bought it and nothing is/was abandoned.

DrDax
12-14-2014, 12:41 AM
Yes they bought it and nothing is/was abandoned.

I am so glad you folks didn't abandon it :)
.../salute!

giggityguy
12-19-2014, 05:05 PM
I am so glad you folks didn't abandon it :)
.../salute!

So you are here aswell? ;)

(dayzrp member here, assuming you are the same dax)

scoobert
12-20-2014, 04:48 PM
4k leftin june?i realy dont want to know the account balance now,this is not good...i'm realy realy scared of the day when the paypal account will be empty,unfortunately i cant donate,i already got a ****y salary at mcdonald's and not planing to work more then a month because 6 hours i have to spend at work and another 5-7 at academy,so basicly i barely got time to sleep,i'm sorry.I realy can't.

If everyone with an attitude like this gave up a cup of coffee, and donated just $5, the games finances would be rocking. Thats 45min salary for a McD worker.

xyled777
12-22-2014, 07:04 AM
Well I was finally able to throw some into the pot, I trully apologize for waiting so long and just wanted to say thanks to all those who have donated the time or money to keep this going! SWG is and always will be the greatest game I've ever played!

Thanks for bringing it back!

TRISTAM
12-23-2014, 09:20 PM
lol my card expired ill be updating my account and you guys will be getting my steady donations again. Im with you till then end.

DawnOfDarkness
12-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Hey Guys,
im pretty new to SWGEmu, we (a friend and me) just found the Donaton button and we will donate some euro. we just saw "Ends January 2nd, 2015" thats just the time from 1 donation period to the other right?
could it happen that you shut down the server because of a lack of donations?
and my last question: why dont you implate a donation button on the Luncher? if you dont really watch in the forum you wont see it. If only 1xx persons donate that may means that not all saw the donation button.

With best regards Pascal B.

Vlada
12-30-2014, 12:38 AM
Hey Guys,
im pretty new to SWGEmu, we (a friend and me) just found the Donaton button and we will donate some euro. we just saw "Ends January 2nd, 2015" thats just the time from 1 donation period to the other right?

Yes.

could it happen that you shut down the server because of a lack of donations?

Yes, but we would have to be completely broke. We would probably move to a much cheaper box and lower the server cap before we do that.

and my last question: why dont you implate a donation button on the Luncher? if you dont really watch in the forum you wont see it. If only 1xx persons donate that may means that not all saw the donation button.

We did look in to that, but to donate here you have to be registered and logged on our forums, but on launchpad, you are not logged in, you only use it to launch the game and then when you are in game you log in.

Kryzac
12-31-2014, 02:50 AM
Interesting reading, expenses are a worry regarding the fees with letters to ******, But nice to know things are still going.

zer0tolerance
01-03-2015, 05:12 AM
As a non-profit, can't money be raised in other ways, or is that a fine line on profits?

Vlada
01-03-2015, 08:03 AM
As a non-profit, can't money be raised in other ways, or is that a fine line on profits?

Could you clarify?

DrDax
01-03-2015, 04:04 PM

This may help with the answers you are looking to learn about: http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-Tax-Exempt-Organizations

.. and thanks SWGEMU team for all your work..

now back to topic.. sort of .. time to donate my part

GinkoBashadan
01-07-2015, 03:14 AM
It really is our duty to donate to make sure this project keeps on running.

Billy_Todd
01-30-2015, 03:31 AM
I hardly have the time to play anymore, but I am steadily putting my $5 in the pot each month. It's just a pack of smokes, after all. Keep up the good work!

Apoca-RUFF
04-29-2015, 06:45 AM
Could you clarify?

I know this thread has been dead for a few months, but I believe what he means is that as a Non-Profit, you can look towards companies/corporations/persons to donate large sums of money. For example, you could ask some well-off game Studios to toss you a few thousands as a donation and as a registered NPO, they might be inclined because they could write it off as a donation on their taxes and whatnot. Or you could contact your local community college and offer to send them your code base so that any programming (or game programming/design) classes could play around with it and then that community college (or you could go with a more traditional university) may become inclined to toss you a nice donation.

Essentially, what he means, is that you should play the NPO game and fund raise.

kojin
05-03-2015, 06:56 AM
i'd glady give you 10€ a month but i cant since i dont have paypal and i cant make an account without huge efforts and traveling back and forth yes i said traveling

scoobert
05-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Seems you are no longer doing any financial reports?

eb59
06-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Hosting services, I take it means for the website here.. I host 2 websites with http://www.webmasters.com/ and pay $110.00 a month for each, includes domain name registration too.
Might look into that and see if they can compete with who ever your using now and save some bucks.

blueman277
06-05-2015, 03:04 AM
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153279
but that doesn't include financials... nvm

Vlada
06-05-2015, 06:01 AM

Actually because of my laziness we will do a full year report instead of 1/2 year.

makednoce
07-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Actually because of my laziness we will do a full year report instead of 1/2 year.

So, when will that be?
What month December?

Vlada
07-01-2015, 11:28 AM
So, when will that be?
What month December?

No, i will post it in a week or two.