+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rules, flameout, exploits and bans

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by nikj View Post
    Not without breaking the multiple account rules they can't.

And, really, I would guess that they're being watched fairly closely with regards to that.
    People that do this already have several accounts, wife, 2 kids, 2 adopted kids, grandpa and grandma, mom and dad etc.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Those accounts should have been deleted period and perma bans for the offenders.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    This is a step in the right direction. Something that will help to raise the preceived legitimacy of the Emu team.
    The community needs to see that finding exploits is required but using them will not be tolerated.

I do have to question if the punishment for those involved was of sufficient severity.
    As has been said before, those who exploit like this will undoubtedly have broken the single account rule already.
    And, for many involved, this won't be their first ban for exploiting.
    <DOGBOY> Auld Skool WS
    ****** retired ******

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thanks for the hard work and update Vlada and Dev team.
    It isn't said enough.
    Last edited by FLAKPANZER; 08-16-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    Mymnus Dax - Basilisk
    Vraythe Starstriker - Nova

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ljay1973 View Post
    I do have to question if the punishment for those involved was of sufficient severity.
    As has been said before, those who exploit like this will undoubtedly have broken the single account rule already.
    And, for many involved, this won't be their first ban for exploiting.
    Maybe it wasn't severe enough, but we were setting a precedent and changing our rules. Like I've said before, this kind of punishment was offered now but will not be offered to anyone again. This is just the first step, we hope its a step in the right direction.

There is no perfect system that can prevent multiple accounts abuse and those willing to put in extra time and effort will always find a way to go around any system we create. Only thing we can do is ban them when we catch them doing it.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Good on you guys! And thanks for keeping us updated.

Alay State -- Imperial Stormtrooper
    Kaspin Tra'fel -- Bothan Ranger

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    Maybe it wasn't severe enough, but we were setting a precedent and changing our rules. Like I've said before, this kind of punishment was offered now but will not be offered to anyone again. This is just the first step, we hope its a step in the right direction.

There is no perfect system that can prevent multiple accounts abuse and those willing to put in extra time and effort will always find a way to go around any system we create. Only thing we can do is ban them when we catch them doing it.
    Its definitely a step in the right direction. And a great sign for the future of the project (I feel anyway).
    As I've said in other posts, more overt action from the team will have a huge effect on the way the project is perceived. But we can't expect you VOLUNTEERS (I think we all need to sometimes remember thats what you are) to police the server at all times, we need to do some policing ourselves, through exploit reporting and the simple act of not tolerating exploiters or having anything to do with them. This may mean turning down the big credits for a sale, but it will be for the best in the long run.
    <DOGBOY> Auld Skool WS
    ****** retired ******

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post

I think that the action was tempered adequately. It was a change in rules and therefore, gives the benefit of a hard slap and begins to set the tone. Your second statement is exactly the dilemma of trying to set rules. Anyone who wants to try hard enough, will always find a way around them.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Imo:

Smart and professional as always Vlada (and SWGEmu team). Use exploiter's "cleverness" to learn more about the exploits to make the game better for everyone. Part of life/MMOs is learning how to get ahead of the wolf pack. Exploits are one way of doing this and some people are willing to take that risk. As long as it is not game breaking I think a 2-month ban is reasonable. Like you said let the punishment correlate with the impact and risk of the exploit. Especially during development stages you WANT huge game breaking exploits to come to light rather than have exploiters hoard them until Sun Crusher.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    well way i look at it is like this, if people sploit it gets caught. gets caught gets fixed. none of thier cheating is going to matter once the wipe happens. All those 100s of millions of ill gotten goods will go poof, but thier reputation stays. Maybe they will turn around, or maybe they will keep at it who knows but why worry now when all of this will get a squeeky clean slate when Suncrusher is released. Awesome job devs you rock!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterk03 View Post
    well way i look at it is like this, if people sploit it gets caught. gets caught gets fixed. none of thier cheating is going to matter once the wipe happens. All those 100s of millions of ill gotten goods will go poof, but thier reputation stays. Maybe they will turn around, or maybe they will keep at it who knows but why worry now when all of this will get a squeeky clean slate when Suncrusher is released. Awesome job devs you rock!

You want the exploit to be carried over when it goes live... that they'll behave? Is that what you're saying?

If it's not the message you were trying to come across then I apologize, too much coffee and I've seen/read too many posters that just couldn't get the big picture, that what is really good for the game and not because it benefits "me, myself and I"
    Last edited by AzizaEno; 08-15-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Welcome to Suncrusher (my unofficial SWGEmu video)
    Steam ID

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaddynnstarr View Post
    While I applaud the actions taken by the developement team, the severity of the case does not reflect the punishment IMHO... Character confiscation should be a given in this matter. Allowing them to retain ANYTHING from their exploitations is a HUGE FAIL otherwise. What does this say to offenders? I know what it says to me... it says hey... i can go to all the banks in my hometown and rob them of all their money, then if i get caught, i can do 2 years prison and keep the $20 million I just stole.... Id do 2 years for 20 million.... just sayin...

You should have stripped the account of all its belongings without warning and reset every toon on it to lvl 1. Anything less then that displays percieved weakness on the part of the Developement team. this is all just MY opinion, so take it with whatever you think its worth... Once again, I applaud your actions, they just werent harsh enuff.
    The offenders needed to be given some sort of incentive to fully disclose the exploit. Id rather they help the dev team to get it fixed and possibly save them 1 week to several months of development time and get us that much closer to Suncrusher than just pull out the ban hammer and start crunching code trying to figure out what the issue was in the first place.

Props to the devs for this. Keeping cheaters at bay makes the game better for everyone.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Considering the amount of repeat offenders that I am sure were also caught here, I would prefer to see a permaban (yes i realize there are ways around, but let them deal with it). These people are not the type of people I would like to play with now, or in the future as the server goes on and the project is completed. I am speaking on their level of morality and maturity, which is obviously lacking. I do agree that I appreciate the fact that at least something was done, but anything short of at least combining the two options seems like a slap on the wrist. There is no way in the world they should have been able to keep anything. They will come back and still be well ahead of 99% of the server and their exploits will have paid off in the end.
    |FE| Fishster Enterprises |FE|

Resources: [640 , -5550] 1k South of Coronet
    Loot: "SEAs and Premium Drops" in South Coronet Mall

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I would have just banned the IP address for the 2 months, instead of just an account. One of the banned is already back playing again before the pixels had even settled on the OP's post. Far as I can tell, the only people who would be worried about it, are those that don't exploit in the first place. I'm glad you did something, now hopefully it get's enforced.
    Missee * Mitzee
    SHDWS

Shadow Valley - Talus (246, -4985)

Play Stats
    357h last 30d
    [ ] You know that IPs are dynamic things

Nevertheless, I am glad that the devs did something at last.
    It was still not answered what the BH exploiters get for exploiting and ruining others peoples fun for their own gain.
    Last edited by Isrem; 08-16-2012 at 05:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information