+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Basilisk maintenance - 7/14/12

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolindir View Post
    Well, staff also work in the week, so i guess this was the best time to do it.
    The lag have become worse, so new hardware is most welcome
    Server upgrade pizza and beer party for the team? Pizza and beer on their own dime, of course. (that was a bad joke, nothing more)

Out of curiosity, what are the specs on the server? Just wonderin if we're allowed to see, and I didn't find anything poking around the forums.
    Heinz Guderian
    Colonel, Imperial Army
    Knights of Mors Astralis [AMOK]
    Ahazi

Play Stats
    Inactive
    To me, at least 24 hours downtime is a good thing. Imagine what all could get done. Time to spend the weekend right, anyway. Hello sunshine!
    "That guy just took my spawn and now they are afking. No Jedi? Can anyone else not log in?"

We don't want to hear it...

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Finally glad I work weekends for once.

Play Stats
    193h last 30d
    Good news on the SSD's. Look forward to seeing how much they help the lag issues which we were all adapting to, lol. "Combat can restart in 5 -4 -3 -2 -1 go!"

Good work from all the team, it's appreciated how much you put into this./hi5

*Staggers off to find some real life to occupy her time...*

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by HzGuderian View Post
    Server upgrade pizza and beer party for the team? Pizza and beer on their own dime, of course. (that was a bad joke, nothing more)

Out of curiosity, what are the specs on the server? Just wonderin if we're allowed to see, and I didn't find anything poking around the forums.
    They have posted the specs of the servers here in the past. They are very open about these things. I doubt they will reply today as they are busy withthe repairs but I know the specs are in recent forum posts that only go back a couple weeks.

I'll try to review my subscriptions and see if I get lucky to find one of those links for you.

Master Droid Engineer ~ <TRADE> Trade Coalition - Queen's Market, Naboo

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by furret831 View Post
    Hello sunshine!
    What is this thing called "sunshine"? Is that what you get when you step outside? Haha!

On a side note, I know information on the server hardware is posted somewhere, but have the devs considered doing a raid setup on their SSD's? Also, heads up this past week on newegg.com they had the Vertex3 240gb SSD's for under $120

Retired SWGEmu Moderator cru jodo's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoH View Post
    wish this was during the week tho lol
    Dev's have jobs and lives too. Weekends might be the only time for them to get this patch done. Unfortunate I know, but that's life.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by cru jodo View Post
    Dev's have jobs and lives too. Weekends might be the only time for them to get this patch done. Unfortunate I know, but that's life.
    Anyone who complains about this should get and automatic /kicktothegroin and a /punchintheface. I don't care when it goes down, as it should be a known fact that the Dev's do have RL priorities as well. I'm grateful that they are even taking time out of their weekend to do this, when they could be spending time doing something around their house, like fix those leaks up stairs or water their lawn before it completely dies. Oh wait, that's what I have to do....

But first, time to hit that donate button again.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    great news ! thanks for the updates ! see you all in 23 hours ( thats when ill start trying to log back in :P )

Play Stats
    Inactive
    This is great news, guys. Thanks for keeping us posted and thanks for the good investment. May your work be smooth Now shoo from the forums: al trabajo!

Play Stats
    Inactive

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by drogomoss View Post
    What is this thing called "sunshine"? Is that what you get when you step outside? Haha!

On a side note, I know information on the server hardware is posted somewhere, but have the devs considered doing a raid setup on their SSD's? Also, heads up this past week on newegg.com they had the Vertex3 240gb SSD's for under $120
    You definately dont want to use the garden variety SSD in this scenario. SSDs have a limited number of writes and they were probably reaching their limit, hince the rubberbanding on saves.

I am thinking that the Devs are installing nice new Industrial Strength SSDs that can handle significantly more writes but also come at a price much greater than $120.

Like you, Drogomoss, I am facinately by this thing called sunshine. I must go investigate, though perhaps a shower first might be in order
    Last edited by mrbenson; 07-14-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    What's an SSD? :P Sounds like something I need to go get a shot for!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Looks like a little bit of time to catch up on sleep. Thank you for the updates!

Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Oh noes!!!! What am I going to do??? I was not prepared for this!!! 24 hours!!!! Really?

Time to do some shopping anyways.
    MaelDiablo
    Retired SWGEmu Staff

www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Oh you silly Sith... SSD not STD! What a difference a letter can make. And no, condoms will not protect you from SSD crashes.

But incase this is a valid query as to the nature of SSDs

SSD - Solid State Drive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ssd#Commercialization

And specifically from the wiki post
    SSDs have no moving parts to fail mechanically. Each block of a flash-based SSD can only be erased (and therefore written) a limited number of times before it fails. The controllers manage this limitation so that drives can last for many years under normal use.[80][81][82][83][84] SSDs based on DRAM do not have a limited number of writes. Firmware bugs are currently a common cause for data loss.[citation needed

The controllers, I imigine were have to work really hard to manage the SSD storage because so many of the cells had reached their limit. Hince the rubber banding

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information