+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Liberator wipe, Basilisk and you...

Play Stats
    Inactive

Liberator wipe, Basilisk and you...

Liberator wipe, Basilisk and you...

May, 2012
    The SWGEmu Staff

• Whats gonna happen?
    On May 13th, 2012. 3PM EST (check your local time here) Liberator will be taken OFFLINE, after an hour or so a new Pre-Alpha server will be launched.

• Pre-Alpha is launched, so what happens now?
    Now it is time for some seriously massive stress testing. New Pre-Alpha server will be running the latest OR code from TC: Nova, stress testing period will last a minimum of one week, during that time we hope that all major stability issues will be found and fixed. After all the fixes are applied, we go in to the test-play phase of Pre-Alpha where we hope to identify and fix all major bugs and exploits. This will be a crucial period for the OR code and for this project as a whole, everything done so far will need to be tested during that time. To reduce the likelihood of future server wipes, it is imperative that everyone does their best to help the Developers find and fix as many bugs, exploits and stability issues as possible. If major issues are not discovered before Alpha launch more server wipes might be necessary.

PLEASE NOTE: There will be no Blue Frogs on the Pre-Alpha server.

• How can we help?
    The Development Team, will need YOUR help on Pre-Alpha to test the current code. Please logon to Pre-Alpha, pick a part of the game you are familiar with and start testing and submitting bug reports. Everything and anything implemented needs to be tested and retested. If you are not sure what you should do or you want to participate in a more coordinated and focused testing effort then please join our QA and Dev team in our IRC #openqa channel. If you are unsure where or how to submit a bug report, please check our "How to report bugs on Bug Tracker (Mantis)" guide.

• What if i need support?
    Our IRC #swgemusupport channel and support.swgemu.com are available to you most of the time.

• What about TC: Nova?
    During the initial week of pre-Alpha, TC: Nova will be closed for public. Devs and QA will be using it to test all the new patches and bug fixes needs for the Pre-Alpha server. After that first week of stress testing is over, TC: Nova will be open for public again.
    • Month of stress testing is over, what then?
    Pre-Alpha server will be wiped and the new SWGEmu Alpha server called Basilisk will be launched.

Please be aware that even after the new Basilisk server is launched some major fixes and additions to the code may require database wipes. We will do our best to keep database wipes to a minimum, whenever possible we will try to save your character data. We will give advance notice of an upcoming DB wipe. Always keep in mind that this project is still in Alpha Testing and that even though we can clearly see the light at the end of the tunnel, we still have a long way to go before we are ready to release 1.0 to the public so permanent play servers can be created.

• Here is a few helpful tips from Max on how to survive a Database Wipe...

SURVIVING THE DATABASE WIPE

When the Database Wipe, or "D.B. WIPE", strikes; You have to be ready to deal with what you are going to do to recover, and how to deal with all the people who can't hear instructions over their own ego.

An SWGEmu Sarcasm Agency Production

The database wipe is a rare disaster which totally destroys everything on YOUR server!

Not to worry though, your characters don't feel any pain in a database wipe; it's just like getting a shot at the doctor. Except it’s a mass database deletion.

Your power hammers, stun battons, and composite armor pieces are all sadly lost in The Database Wipe. Nothing is left. Destruction is complete.

To deal with this tragedy, we have found three simple steps help most.

Stop. Wait. Create.

STOP: Stop worrying, complaining and getting generally rowdy about the server not being up and your characters being.... unavailable....

WAIT: Wait patiently and with sanity while the server is launched, tested and made ready.

CREATE: Proceed in an orderly fashion to the now online server and create your characters as new. Thank the hamster on your way out.

The Inside of the Liberator after a wipe.
    Note the hamster being absent. This is why it is offline.

Do's and Not Do's

In the event of a database wipe:

• DO proceed to eat cookies and drink milk. Statistically 83.77% of players are able to deal with 'DB Shock' (TM) better after a serving of milk and cookies. We 21% guarantee this is not a made up statistic.
    • DO NOT ask about the server status. The forum and IRC servers have been known to explode. Please, think of the children.
    • DO use our complimentary restrooms, as long as you flush.
    • DO NOT steal other people's names. It's not funny.
    • DO curse the hamster for ruining your evening due to its alcoholism. It can't run while drunk.
    • DO NOT steal the names of Staff Members. The only thing that will be funny then will be your banned account. Permanently.
    • DO feel free to retire from your IRC Moderator position. Audune did it.
    • DO NOT private message any staff about the server being down. We know. Yes. Yes I'm sure. No we don't need reassurance.
    • DO join #opendev and show your love to our Developers. They built the hamster, they're smart dudes.

Legal Notes
    ASKING ABOUT THE SERVER STATUS WILL GET YOU SHOT. WE DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOST BRAIN CELLS.
    WE DO NOT OFFER REFUNDS FOR DIALUP HOURS USED. GET CABLE.
    YOU CAN'T SUE US. YOU DON'T PAY US ANYTHING REMEMBER?
    !TCSTATUS DOESN'T CHANGE THE STATUS, ONLY RE-RE-RE-RE-READS IT. AGAIN.

~SWGEmu Staff

Last edited by Vlada; 05-12-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Lol Gj Vlada <3

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Sweeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    The last part is super good advice. I know its funny but people (more the new people joining the project) need to take all of it to heart. On a less serious note, I would like to thank all of the dev team, I've played many games over the years and this is the only one that has me consistently coming back to it when I have time to play. So thank you!
    Last edited by darmin; 06-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    <3 you found the old thread max wrote. can't wait to get on the alpha, good work!

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    LOL. Very nice indeed. Wish I could get a nickel every time someone asks "the questions that shall not be asked.." I'za gonna be rich.

We're clipping along now folks.
    Retired Community Relations

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Play Stats
    Inactive
    FANTASTIC! I have achieved comprehension AND amusement! Well done and thank you devs for your tireless work!
    Erom Irack
    Master Artisan / Master Scout / Master Droid Engineer
    Refugee From Scylla

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Nice timing, I recently lost all interest in SWTOR. That didnt last very long.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    WE DO NOT OFFER REFUNDS FOR DIALUP HOURS USED. GET CABLE.
    Ha this no longer applies to me. My fiancé and I have a house now and we have high speed internet. Once we get moved in expect to see me a little more.
    KroniK
    Retired SWGEmu Staff

KroniK@swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
    Helpful Links of SWGEmu!!!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I just got a nice woody from reading this post!

I am EXCITED for pre-alpha... Bring on the wipes! Bring on the hamsters and LONG LIVE SWG...
    Last edited by Frunkis; 05-12-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by KroniK View Post
    Ha this no longer applies to me. My fiancé and I have a house now and we have high speed internet. Once we get moved in expect to see me a little more.
    Oh brother, welcome to non-baud connection. I am one generation out of Houston County. Visited enough to get scarred from the fireworks they would sell to an 8 year old. Wait till you can actually get a full picture in less than 3 minutes!!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Great advice I can recommend the cookies !

Amazing job so far guys waiting breathless for server up for the per-alpha

Good luck with whatever you have planned next for us SWG Fans

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Mmmmmmm Basilisk. Me Like that name! Yay for every member of the Emu Team
    Save a tree, eat a beaver!

IGN feistin.
    Please deliver any winning auction at Corellia 1192, -4866, east of Coronet.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by vertwheal View Post
    Nice timing, I recently lost all interest in SWTOR. That didnt last very long.
    heh yep.../agree
    Great work devs, thanks for your continued hard work and dedication to this game!
    Siona Kalruna, The Purple Jedi Princess/Master Doc, TKM, Master CM, Master Musician, CU Jedi/Original SWG Pre-CU Vet/Lowca Server

Play Stats
    Inactive
    /cheer for Devs, my frog worshipping days are comin' to an end!
    Meditate on this, I will.

Syck Byrd

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information