Inactive
    Outstanding!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Good Job! Good Job!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by jkm4201 View Post
    It's just not feasible to attempt to announce any ETAs or Timelines at this particular juncture folks, progression comes at each individuals own pace, could be tomorrow, could be next spring, it's just impossible to offer anything significant or accurate to the community at this point. I, like many of you would love nothing more than to wake up tomorrow, check the updates and find out we're going into Beta testing and preparing for release, however we have to be realistic about things and instead focus on keeping positive and moving things forward as time allows.
    I work in game development myself (obviously not on this project), and I have found that deadlines/ETAs can be very helpful. It can make sure the milestones are reached (as long as the time allotted is reasonable)

What are your thoughts on this? Obviously its a unique project with its own culture/style, and is open source. Also, different people work different ways...but from personal experience, I would say ETAs can be helpful for the development process.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
    I work in game development myself (obviously not on this project), and I have found that deadlines/ETAs can be very helpful. It can make sure the milestones are reached (as long as the time allotted is reasonable)

What are your thoughts on this? Obviously its a unique project with its own culture/style, and is open source. Also, different people work different ways...but from personal experience, I would say ETAs can be helpful for the development process.
    a personally set ETA is one thing, but saying project x will be done by Z date would force the devs to give up their daily lives. If they were getting paid to write the code, i bet we would have hundreds of ETA's. But since this is volunteer, a public ETA wouldn't really work.
    Chri
    Vendor Drop off: 5246, 5325 Citadel, Naboo

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chri View Post
    a personally set ETA is one thing, but saying project x will be done by Z date would force the devs to give up their daily lives. If they were getting paid to write the code, i bet we would have hundreds of ETA's. But since this is volunteer, a public ETA wouldn't really work.
    I think this is what so many people are forgetting. The SWGEmu isn't being done by a company with profit margins, and we should all be grateful it is being done at all.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Release - The release software development phase is when a software is thought to be good enough for deployment. This means that the software will be packaged and ready for use by the general public to fuel their own servers, and it will be deemed stable and complete.

does this mean that there is going to be a server package or even a option to play lan games on private server ??

thanks kinda new to this

Play Stats
    7h last 30d
    Good to know, thanks ^_-

Play Stats
    Inactive

Were any of the projects that you worked on solely based upon volunteer resources?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    SWGEmu Timeline

May, 2012
    The SWGEmu Team

Since the EoL and Pre-Alpha Basilisk launch was announced there has been a lot of rumors flying around about what is going to happen and when. To avoid any further confusion and to set communities mind at ease we are releasing this timetable.

• May 14th - Liberator offline and wiped. TC: Nova offline. Basilisk launched for stress testing.
    • May 21st - TC: Nova online and opened to public testing again.
    • June 11th - Basilisk testing phase complete. Basilisk wiped and becomes play server. Basilisk will persist through Alpha and Beta development phase.
    • Sometime in far future - Basilisk wiped. Release developmental milestone reached. SunCrusher launched without threat of wipe, ever.

Since this is a development project and unexpected things can happen, DB wipes are always a possibility. Of course we will try to avoid this at any cost and when possible just wipe a single type of item,
    if required at all.

Alpha, Beta, and Release are phases of development, and should not be confused for part of the galaxy (server) name. They simply refer to what state the software is in that runs the server.

• Basilisk play server - SWGEmu server that will exist through our Alpha and Beta development phase (not to be confused with complete, permanent play servers)
    • Alpha - The alpha software development phase is the stage where all features are in the process of being implemented. When it begins, there may be many missing features, but by its end, all major features should be implemented.
    • Beta - The beta software development phase is marked by the implementation of all major features. During this phase, the primary focus of software development is to fix any and all bugs, as well as implement content that expands upon the major features from Alpha.
    • Release - The release software development phase is when a software is thought to be good enough for deployment. This means that the software will be packaged and ready for use by the general public to fuel their own servers, and it will be deemed stable and complete.

PLEASE NOTE: Because this is a volunteer project, some delays or minor changes on the timetable are still possible.

~ The SWGEmu Team
    This is a great post but at some point in time in the year, this post will be confusing to new / fairly new people since it doesn't have the year noted. Might be worth adding the year after the dates.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I work in game development myself.
    There is the crux of the matter.

This isn't a job rather something a bunch of amazing people have given up their own time to bring us.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    The time and effort of the SWGEMU team are very much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Every time I log in, I am baffled that this whole project was created by fellow gamers who were so passionate about SWG (Pre-CU) that they built it all again from scratch. I think this is the best MMORPG that ever existed. I was so upset when they shut the original down, because I never even got to play it. The developers didn't even know how important SWGEmu would become, they just wanted to preserve Pre-CU gameplay. Thanks to everyone working on this project and to everyone donating to keep it alive. As soon as I get a job and can budget it, I will give all I can. I think this is the best idea ever, and I'm excited to see where it's going to go. I hope we can get to 1.0 quickly, although the game is already well worth playing. I can't wait for this to take off and grow.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    SWGEmu Timeline

May, 2012
    The SWGEmu Team

Alpha, Beta, and Release are phases of development, and should not be confused for part of the galaxy (server) name. They simply refer to what state the software is in that runs the server.

• Basilisk play server - SWGEmu server that will exist through our Alpha and Beta development phase (not to be confused with complete, permanent play servers)
    • Alpha - The alpha software development phase is the stage where all features are in the process of being implemented. When it begins, there may be many missing features, but by its end, all major features should be implemented.
    • Beta - The beta software development phase is marked by the implementation of all major features. During this phase, the primary focus of software development is to fix any and all bugs, as well as implement content that expands upon the major features from Alpha.
    • Release - The release software development phase is when a software is thought to be good enough for deployment. This means that the software will be packaged and ready for use by the general public to fuel their own servers, and it will be deemed stable and complete.

PLEASE NOTE: Because this is a volunteer project, some delays or minor changes on the timetable are still possible.

~ The SWGEmu Team
    So to clarify...

As of now BASILISK is in the B E T A stage of development, as described above ^^^ ? ? ?
    Last edited by Heardmee; 03-22-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I think professions could be considered as a "major feature" and don't believe that the AI, nor CH are in at the moment so I'd place my bet on it still being Alpha until otherwise told.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Heardmee View Post
    So to clarify...

As of now BASILISK is in the B E T A stage of development, as described above ^^^ ? ? ?
    Nope, still alpha.

There are at least two non-working professions and nothing has been done (yet) with JTL. Both are major features that need to be, at the very least, skeleton-implemented to consider the project even early-beta.

Both Droid Engineer and Creature Handler depend on an AI module that governs tamed creatures and droids, so when said AI is done, there will be developments on both professions. As for JTL, you'd need a minimum of three working ships (Empire, Rebellion and Neutral) so another missing profession (Pilot) can be established and tested.

In the meantime, enjoy everything that is already working, or go to Nova and lend a hand on testing new features. This may help to bring features faster, and we all be grateful.

Closed Thread

Thread Information