Closed Thread
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: SWGEmu Timeline

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Not avoiding the question, there exists NO answer. Noone, not even the developers know.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Just a thought but i think the timeline needs a update or at least remove old eta dates..... i feel eta's are a good thing to have up don't get me wrong and they can be realistic as these were and they were achieved too most commendable so i suggest add a achievable and date to shoot for to keep us motivated to see your hard work completed this cant be said enough good work you guys and gals keep it up don't tire out.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I don't want to burst any bubbles but i must say. reading this from the latest to older all i see is fans who who are just ragging about their game not being ready. Yes give these guys and gals props for making it this far and pushing forward. Instead of asking for eta's why not create the eta that you want to see by asking how can I help and get involved. I'm sorry but the question just buggs me and I am not a developer. I feel that we can not just relive the good old days as fans but we also can push the envelop and become part of the Star Wars extended universe with this game so lets chip in, instead of buggin for ETAs.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by rashaudlove View Post
    I don't want to burst any bubbles but i must say. reading this from the latest to older all i see is fans who who are just ragging about their game not being ready. Yes give these guys and gals props for making it this far and pushing forward. Instead of asking for eta's why not create the eta that you want to see by asking how can I help and get involved. I'm sorry but the question just buggs me and I am not a developer. I feel that we can not just relive the good old days as fans but we also can push the envelop and become part of the Star Wars extended universe with this game so lets chip in, instead of buggin for ETAs.
    I agree. When SWG was still in development and kept encountering delays, I stepped up and got involved in the beta testing. There are two kinds of people: those who wish for things to happen, and those who make them happen.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    i didn't mean by my post that i am expecting an eta post ... however after reading my post i see i did just that , i feel the same as you guys on this i don't want to demand of our hardworking folks , i just wanted to make someone aware of the eta post and that come January its going to really confuse people and it is also confusing people now maybe resulting in the questions about an update exec. perhaps just leaving the stages expected alpha beta exec and which we are currently considered as and leaving it at that... then if someone asks about eta they just simply say refer to that post and the stage we are in thought it might keep people off their back a little ... it was just a thought only to make aware if not aware that's all no demands just a suggestion.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    There may be no ETA for a release, but logically it must be relatively soon, I mean look at how much has been done. We are WAY more then halfway there. I've been waiting for this game since 2006, and I remember we all thought it was gonna be done by early 2007, 5 years later here we are, but so much more has been done. (Could next year be THE year?)
    So.... SOON!

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Will ships be added to the game soon or will this be in Sun Crush?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafioso27th View Post
    Will ships be added to the game soon or will this be in Sun Crush?
    Did you literally just not read any of the above posts....?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I wish I could like this post
    Toobam - Starsider - MLS, MD, 4xx4 Heal

Mar 07 - I'm a thousand years old

Retired Lead Developer
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeridian View Post
    Here is the problem though (and I don't often check in anymore because of this), they are just tip-toeing through development. So hesitant to add features because of the potential bugs they may and will hit. This is a common issue that my professors warn about...you will never release with a major project if you do not push through the bugs. You can deal with bugs later. If you start to encounter so many bugs in a stage of development, you get the urge to restart...to do over the codebase entirely (OR anyone?).

If you start to think "Redo!" its a red flag, professionally. In the professional world you start to lose support for development if you backtrack or tip-toe like that, you just gotta deal with the bugs along the way while maintaining focus on features (at-least in alpha). This is funny, because the developers consistently mention wanting to maintain professional industry standards. Setting realistic time tables for yourselves is a must in that case.

I would love to help out and not be nit picky, I hate saying this without much to offer. But I have other projects and commitments and SWGEmu is not the forefront of those at the moment. For those of you to throw aside others opinions because they aren't active developers in the project they are criticizing, then you are foolish and I'm glad you aren't doing any sort of game design.
    In the professional world you are paid and you have a work schedule, this gives you the opportunity to have an eta or a timetable. However this is not a job, today you have 1 developer writing code, tomorrow 10 and the day after tomorrow may be none. This is not a stable environment.

Letting aside that, you or your "professors" have no idea about the project. We didnt want to make an OR, we HAD to. We had to UNDERSTAND the client, to reverse engineer all the SOE designs, algorithms, objects, protocol, everything.

Core3 was started before we really knew any of the game designs besides some of the protocol and thats why we hit a wall. We COULDNT progress any further without the OR, which by the way wasnt a full rewrite, we still have pre-or code running.

Now we are pushing through bugs and implementing new features without fear because we know the core design of SOEs implementation.

The code wasnt started by amateurs, the engine/code was started by a professional game dev and most of us left on the team are professional coders.

So before you come here and start criticizing, first learn about what we do and who we are.
    Last edited by TheAnswer; 11-17-2012 at 12:17 AM.

theanswer@swgemu.com | www.swgemu.com
    SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    SWGEmu FAQ | Install SWGEmu | Report Bugs

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Here is the problem though (and I don't often check in anymore because of this), they are just tip-toeing through development. So hesitant to add features because of the potential bugs they may and will hit. This is a common issue that my professors warn about...you will never release with a major project if you do not push through the bugs. You can deal with bugs later. If you start to encounter so many bugs in a stage of development, you get the urge to restart...to do over the codebase entirely (OR anyone?).

If you start to think "Redo!" its a red flag, professionally. In the professional world you start to lose support for development if you backtrack or tip-toe like that, you just gotta deal with the bugs along the way while maintaining focus on features (at-least in alpha). This is funny, because the developers consistently mention wanting to maintain professional industry standards. Setting realistic time tables for yourselves is a must in that case.

I would love to help out and not be nit picky, I hate saying this without much to offer. But I have other projects and commitments and SWGEmu is not the forefront of those at the moment. For those of you to throw aside others opinions because they aren't active developers in the project they are criticizing, then you are foolish and I'm glad you aren't doing any sort of game design.
    To paraphrase.
    Blah Blah Blah... i'm upset because you haven't given me what i want. But instead of contributing I just want to complain.

I have been on the servers for a while now and I would just like to tell the Devs what a great job they are doing bringing back a beloved game. Please take as much time as you need to make the game as good as you can. I haven't played the game in any form for over 9 years and since logging on I've been having a blast and would like to offer my thanks and encouragement to the team.
    Keep up the great work!

Play Stats
    Inactive

Wow this guy is way out of touch with reality. I am not a dev but any means or a programmer but this is totally disrespectful and inconsiderate. Deal with bugs later hmmm so people can just go ahead and deep six the devs in the future and how much they ****. I think you and your professor really need to get a grip. And i guess you dont understand that they are not using the code soe used due to legal issues and they have built things from scratch.

Honestly, You should be appreciate that someone has stepped up and has been working hard on the project for years now to bring this to you and millions which it will happen once again... But its like they say and I am sure this truly fits. Opnions are like *******.

After seeing this comment I am just going to make a large donation.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I don't know a whole lot about the project status, but they seem to be doing quite well if you judge by the population.

Especially given they plan to do a full server wipe and I personally know people who are waiting for all the character wipes to be done before they start.

I'm one of them but I've been thinking about poking in to try it out a bit lol. Although I am playing so many games right now >_<

I understood what he was saying about make content and deal with bugs along the way, but from reading their change log it seems that's what they have been doing lol

Maybe guy was having a bad day or was just hungry ( I get grouchy when I'm hungry) either way it was rude >:U
    Last edited by flunklesnarkin; 11-17-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
    In the professional world you are paid and you have a work schedule, this gives you the opportunity to have an eta or a timetable. However this is not a job, today you have 1 developer writing code, tomorrow 10 and the day after tomorrow may be none. This is not a stable environment.

Letting aside that, you or your "professors" have no idea about the project. We didnt want to make an OR, we HAD to. We had to UNDERSTAND the client, to reverse engineer all the SOE designs, algorithms, objects, protocol, everything.

Core3 was started before we really knew any of the game designs besides some of the protocol and thats why we hit a wall. We COULDNT progress any further without the OR, which by the way wasnt a full rewrite, we still have pre-or code running.

Now we are pushing through bugs and implementing new features without fear because we know the core design of SOEs implementation.

The code wasnt started by amateurs, the engine/code was started by a professional game dev and most of us left on the team are professional coders.

So before you come here and start criticizing, first learn about what we do and who we are.
    First post here...i was going to reply to this yesterday before a dev did but didn't get the chance. I personally think for a bunch of guys that are NOT paid, this isn't their job, and they are just doing this for fun that they are doing a great job. I logged in yesterday and i was encouraged by what i saw. Is it ready to be released, no...but i think it's at a good middle point, and i honestly think they are making great progress and i can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel from here.

Personally i would have given my left nut to just be able to play the game like it is now again, which means im excited for the future. Keep moving forward guys and one day we will be at release.

Play Stats
    Inactive

Smile

I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone contributing to this project. I hope its progress will continue today, tomorrow and beyond SunCrusher.

Closed Thread

Thread Information