Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: November Financial Summary

Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    I agree with Vlada here....no way in the world you get dedicated hardware at ANY host for those previously mentioned prices by kyrios. Well maybe if you get some sweet, special deal for employees or relatives. I have literally searched dozens and dozens of hosts for dedicated boxes and cloud solutions. Nothing comes close to FDC prices for the bandwidth we require but if somebody produces real numbers, as Vlada did, then we will certainly investigate fully to save money anywhere possible.

On the IRC topic. Yes we can host it ourselves as FDC just opened up that possibility recently. But for the small amount of money it is best to keep it off the servers that reboot far more often than our IRC host. If Chicago or Denver go down, and they often do for various reasons, then we lose IRC. In the grand scheme of things we need to be on multiple boxes instead of putting all our eggs in one basket.

On the Windows VPS. It is used for specialized QA software that we got a FREE license. The QA Team has found great value in this software package and it is far cheaper to host this on a VPS than pay for Windows Server licensing.

Hopefully this helps answer some questions

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TAfirehawk View Post
    On the IRC topic. Yes we can host it ourselves as FDC just opened up that possibility recently. But for the small amount of money it is best to keep it off the servers that reboot far more often than our IRC host. If Chicago or Denver go down, and they often do for various reasons, then we lose IRC. In the grand scheme of things we need to be on multiple boxes instead of putting all our eggs in one basket.
    Suppose you're right. Still the irc service is pretty shoddy for such a simple service :P But true, best spread the eggs around.

Addicted
    Play Stats
    3h last 30d
    Quote Originally Posted by Oru View Post
    It's not only the box but the network. 3TB was simply not enough for a month and a 100mbit line is inadequate, need 1gigs. FDC offers the best deal on the net so far, the price is ****ty maintenance and service.

We are trying to save costs moving our servers to the cloud, because some of it are fairly idle at times but so far the prices are even higher.
    Server #4
    Dual Opteron 6128 – 2x8cores
    16 cores total - 16x 2Ghz = 32Ghz
    64GB RAM
    2TB SATA HDD

1Gbps unmetered .....€349/month
    http://www.ceuservers.net/order/34

Is that adequate? Did some google searching.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyra View Post
    Requires about another 150-200 Euro per month for extra data space and SSD to match ours, optional RAID controller. That's relatively similar by itself, but then requires a +20% VAT applied to all prices if hosted in the EU. That's just what it looks like from a quick skim.
    Revanis
    Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Active Nobody

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TAfirehawk View Post
    I agree with Vlada here....no way in the world you get dedicated hardware at ANY host for those previously mentioned prices by kyrios. Well maybe if you get some sweet, special deal for employees or relatives. I have literally searched dozens and dozens of hosts for dedicated boxes and cloud solutions. Nothing comes close to FDC prices for the bandwidth we require but if somebody produces real numbers, as Vlada did, then we will certainly investigate fully to save money anywhere possible.

On the Windows VPS. It is used for specialized QA software that we got a FREE license. The QA Team has found great value in this software package and it is far cheaper to host this on a VPS than pay for Windows Server licensing.

Hopefully this helps answer some questions
    Didn't you guys try at one time to run you're own IRC bck when NOVA was online and it kept crashing and having problems. Running it like you have it now is alot smarter in the end!

Play Stats
    Inactive

Ovh server

Hi all,

( Sorry my english is bad ), Maybe can you see on OVH.com ?

Deenee

Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Deenee View Post
    Hi all,

( Sorry my english is bad ), Maybe can you see on OVH.com ?

Deenee
    I see ovh.com but my French is non-existent

But I did look on the UK site and found the unlimited monthly bandwidth on 1 Gbps connection is 1000 GBP....or $1,567 US/month. Well FDC charges us $600 US for that so maybe not a better option

Retired SWGEmu Staff
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyra View Post
    Server #4
    Dual Opteron 6128 – 2x8cores
    16 cores total - 16x 2Ghz = 32Ghz
    64GB RAM
    2TB SATA HDD

1Gbps unmetered .....€349/month
    http://www.ceuservers.net/order/34

The RAID10 setup is a killer when configuring an equivalent to the second Denver box, more than double the price.

Or you do a one-time setup fee that is equal to 4 months fee on the hard drives ($1,500), then you get similar pricing as FDC per month.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
    Suppose you're right. Still the irc service is pretty shoddy for such a simple service :P But true, best spread the eggs around.
    Why not just move to a IRC server like foreverchat or freenode or even efnet ? the most you will ever see is a net split, very rarely do they ever go down to where you can't get on. Whats your IRC hosting prices $5-$15 a month ? Its not a lot compared to your other fees.
    Last edited by madmax2069; 12-11-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Play Stats
    113h last 30d
    I know nothing about these server systems. However, I remember hearing about a year ago that the Android cloud server had a potential breach. I am just wondering, how secure the cloud is? I mean, if someone breaks security, and can access the cloud can they not potentially erase 7 years of progress??

Again, I have no idea what I am talking about so please go easy on me..

IGN Shyloe, and Cydonia. Drop-off vendor located @ /way 6188, 6206. NIKA Marketplace.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    If Lib and Lib-T were deleted, no progress would be lost. The source code for the servers is somewhere else.

It's the player data that would be lost.

It's the gaming servers that are or will be in the cloud. No announcement has been made about moving the development machine.
    Last edited by Darth Nautas; 12-12-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Thank you for what has been accomplished thus far, nice to see you following through with the NPO plans. Each week it looks like more and more is being finished, keep up the great work.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    good stuff. keep up the hard work guys.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    I would very much like to se the source of that info and compare the prices, i just googled "UK based dedicated servers" and got Host-it as a first hit.

Their best box is £324.95 which is $506.951, and that's for a box that is nowhere near what we need/use. Tin 6 cores instead of twin 8 cores, we have 52GB more RAM, 4x1.5TB blah, blah, blah. And thats just the box, no dedicated line.
    Just had to see this thread. I know you guys an who ever else are probably working hard etc. Not being any where into marketing or collecting donations though an for my age I have noticed a decrease in the amount of people playing due to them leaving and playing SWTOR. On the other note lots of people just want the live server already. Yeah I know its the same question, but what it boils down too is an upcoming money Situation "TO AVOID". On a serious Note to take into consideration of having a live server with the new code an no wipes with it just being update from there on out can see a lot of improvements to drive people back here to EMU and collect more donations through out.

My idea to avoiding this possible money situation in the future would be to "Advertise" rather its through blogs, Youtube, and what ever free service is out there to do so. We have to bring word to those leaving Galaxies Tomorrow after its shut down and Draw in players from the SWTOR based community who are probably a 75% population of WoW players and SWG based players. Also bringing the live server out would help people Stay. The reason that is, is for the fact of everyone in SWG lost tons of time and hard work or dedication to their Players and Items. With the live server up it would coat us players an previous EMU players to not having issues with loosing are time we spent into Players/Items/Community Based Strategy! This would also Reassure an Strive long lasting players to stay and continue to Play SWGEMU. Sure people come and go, but the key is to keeping them an as many as possible an of course introducing new players to Star Wars Galaxies (EMU). Its a free based MMO and with a large campaign to some how advertise would draw new adults or youn adults to through small or big donations.

This came off the top of the dome. I'm sure many have probably or already know that info I just posted from common knowledge as I. Plus we have to Compete with SWTOR's Release which will make things more difficult already. So just some thing to take into serious consideration or to avoid future problems. Hope it helps.

Long Live SWG/EMU.

- Thanks

Zonomarr

Play Stats
    Inactive
    So we still have 4,300$ in the account to pay for the server. Awsome!

Thread Information