+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What would YOUR SWGEmu Based Server look like?

What would YOUR SWGEmu Based Server look like?

A slower release of content that we currently have access to, kind of like they did on Live, is what I believe is best for a server that wants to stand for the long haul. The hardcore players will still be able to be hardcore, but their progression will be stunted to the point that new players won't be discouraged from starting on the server because they feel they are too far behind.

For instance, the server begins in a vanilla state. No XP multipliers. No vehicles. No housing or structures. Dueling is allowed but the GCW is not active. This allows players to bond in the big cities and slowly come together as a community before branching out into player cities. It will allow the GCW to take shape. A thriving GCW trickles down to every other part of the game. Jedi is not active for months, so there is no need to go Jedi-crazy and push for it, with the exception of POIs, Theme Parks, and preparatory items.

I envision something like this:

Launch (Month 1) - Mounts and Forming Faction Alliances

Publish 1 (Month 2) - GCW, Vehicles and Guilds

Publish 2 (Month 3) - Structures and Player Cities

Publish 3 (Month 4) - Path to Jedi

As time goes on, more content can be added, like Tanaab and Hoth. Elements of the NGE that people liked (housing, structures, maybe a few non-game-changing weapons and armor).

Crafting Changes:

-No ADKs. This hurts me to say, because I loved them in Live. You have to keep Crafters engaged and needed. ADKs allow too many great weapons and armor pieces to live forever. To compensate, no item decay when cloning.

-All armors able to reach the same statistical levels of composite armor, even if it's just through skins. Max of 80/40 Stun. No more composite clonery.

PVP Changes:

-Combat Medic Poisons and Diseases need to be changed. No one enjoys Mind DOT wars PVP. It hurt Live PVP immensely, and led to the CU. The mind is always under assault in PVP as is, so let's ease up on it. Allow Poison to hit Health and Action and Disease to hit Health and Action secondaries. This will allow Poison to do its job, and Disease to take a severe toll over time if it's not dealt with. Poison effectiveness could even be increased.

-Slight adjustments in AP on specific weapons for TK, Carbineer, and Pikeman to make these professions viable in PVP.

Drop/Loot Changes:

-CAs and AAs need to be rare. Hell, drop rates in general need to be toned down. Currently, the drop rate on some of the community servers is ridiculous, and even on Bas it is out of whack. Remember how hard it was to get + Defense vs Dizzy or Rifle/2h speed CA/AA in Live? Even the +3 to +5 ones were going for crazy amounts on the Trade Forums.

-Exceptional and Legendary weapons need to be extremely rare, and not server-breaking. No DOT weapons. One silly mind fire DOT weapon kills PVP. Crafters generally need to be able to create the best weapons and armor through server best materials, looted components and lucky slices, with extremely rare exceptions.

Jedi:

-Jedi needs to be extremely difficult to attain. I suggest something along the lines of mastering every profession (using 1X XP), doing every theme park, and visiting every POI. Past mastering of professions would not count, only the masteries you currently have on your character once the Jedi Publish hits, and ones you attain afterwards. Only the truly dedicated players should be able to become Jedi. So there would be a path, but it would be time-consuming, expensive, and painful. Maybe even allow BH to hunt players grinding FS boxes.

I believe players would flock to a server like this. You would see more veteran players at the start of the server, due to the nostalgia of their early playing days, the newness, and the opportunity to get a head start, and players that discover the server a few months down the line won't be so far behind the curve that they can't catch up. If I had the know-how I would bang this server out in a heartbeat.

Dedicated
    And this is why there are so many servers - many (if not most) people wouldn't want to play on a server like the one you've suggested. By all means, the source is free so if you're not happy with the servers that are out there, roll your own...
    Legend of Hondo - A Single Player SWGEmu based ... science project?
    www.tpot.ca - SWG Mods and Information

The reason new content dribbled out slowly is (wait for it) because it was new. It didn't exist when the server started. What you are suggesting is that a server should intentionally dribble out existing content slowly. The trouble with that is that you will be competing with servers that take the opposite approach and offer all the same content from the very start, no waiting.

Several of your other ideas have a lot of merit. A server without ADKs, nerfing loot, balancing armor and weapons and a commitment to crafting would get my consideration. Your ideas on Jedi leave my less enthused. People will play on a server with no Jedi. They already do on Basilisk. People who want to play Jedi will go to a server where it is easier than yours. Effectively, a server with arduous requirements for Jedi is saying they don't want Jedi around. Why not be more honest and just not allow Jedi?
    Last edited by savacc; 01-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    Moderator at The SWGCraft Project now supporting SWGEmu

Dedicated
    Oooh, this could be fun. Is the point of your post to have everyone indicate what their ideal server would be like, and if so is it to base the idea on what is currently doable or will be at 14.1 "release" or does it include future wishlist of stuff not doable now and possibly may not be doable at all?

Quote Originally Posted by falacy View Post
    And this is why there are so many servers - many (if not most) people wouldn't want to play on a server like the one you've suggested. By all means, the source is free so if you're not happy with the servers that are out there, roll your own...
    So true. I'm of the mind that most people would choose a more vanilla version of SWG where everything isn't handed to you on a silver platter, and content is trickled out slowly, including new content. I would also like for players to be able to join a server and not feel like they are unable to compete in PVP/PVE/Crafting because they were not day one players on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by savacc View Post
    The reason new content dribbled out slowly is (wait for it) because it was new. It didn't exist when the server started. What you are suggesting is that a server should intentionally dribble out existing content slowly. The trouble with that is that you will be competing with servers that take the opposite approach and offer all the same content from the very start, no waiting.

Several of your other ideas have a lot of merit. A server without ADKs, nerfing loot, balancing armor and weapons and a commitment to crafting would get my consideration. Your ideas on Jedi leave my less enthused. People will play on a server with no Jedi. They already do on Basilisk. People who want to play Jedi will go to a server where it is easier than yours. Effectively, a server with arduous requirements for Jedi is saying they don't want Jedi around. Why not be more honest and just not allow Jedi?
    I would assume that people would rather join a server that had an extended shelf life because of trickled out content. Just an assumption of course. Bas is the most vanilla server there is, and it's likely more people play there than all the other servers combined, with the knowledge that it will be wiped.

As far as Jedi, yes of course I would want Jedi, but we don't want half the server glowy on day 2 of the server. There has to be some controls put in place to slow the roll. Like you said, players will play (on a vanilla server) with no Jedi, as they do yo this day on Bas. One of the problems is that this player base is very knowledgeable about the game at this point. It simply can't be as easy to attain Jedi as it was on Live.

Blue Frog Jedi like Mooncrusher.

The grind is not the fun part.

The fun part is experiencing the PVP or the content.
    Enke (TEF)

Sicaro Amesi (IGDTD) - Kettemoor
    Synth Soulgrim (DFA) - Starsider

Quote Originally Posted by Pake View Post
    Oooh, this could be fun. Is the point of your post to have everyone indicate what their ideal server would be like, and if so is it to base the idea on what is currently doable or will be at 14.1 "release" or does it include future wishlist of stuff not doable now and possibly may not be doable at all?
    I'd say a combo of both, based on my original premise. Would you prefer a game where leveling is faster than it was in Live? Trickled out content that can be currently implemented that was originally trickled out in Live?

It appears many of the servers now are going with "instant gratification" as opposed to the slow grind, "earn everything" philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by jediwl View Post
    Blue Frog Jedi like Mooncrusher.

The grind is not the fun part.

The fun part is experiencing the PVP or the content.
    Might as well implement the NGE 😄

Mine would be the world as you know it would become a world as you've never imagined it... starring Chow Yun-Fat.

Mine would have JTL. Everything else is meaningless.

all at once die newbs newbs die. (J/k)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information