Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Public Engine3 without time restrictions

SWGEmu Retired Community Relations bigevil's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Always very interesting regarding the misconceptions of population "back in the day."

The nostalgia regarding early memories of SWG lends to greater population "memories" as with many other things. How we remember it is always full of the blinding glare of new experience.

I consistently run with as much or more people around now then back in those days just a year after launch. Also, people are much busier now with so much more accrued knowledge about the game. Not as many standing around in player cities just looking at their stuff or someone elses. More spread out i think.
    Retired Community Relations

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
    Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Addicted
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by duffstone View Post

we're all 10+ years older and the magic is slowly receding.
    Speak for yourself.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
    Using engine3 without our consent is grounds for litigation. There are 3rd parties involved with it, not related to swgemu, where money is not a problem.

The main intention behind this change is to allow everyone who shares their work to use it without any issues, thats the condition the emu had to deal with too.

We don't want people selling and/or using a 'hacked' version, we don't want people to profit from work on core3 of so many that worked here for almost a decade.

These servers say we are "competitors" when we never were or will be, the main focus here is to finish development, not the donations, not basilisk. Donations stop? Basilisk goes poof and we continue devolping without it. Thats where the donations go unlike on some of these other servers that have been selling credits and items for money.

And I personally can't wait to get to 1.0 and move on from this community. Once development is finished, AGPL will be lifted, engine limitations will be lifted(already are) and I will be long gone too.
    You really do live up to your name

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Vlada: A stress test and 2-3 major online communities fall remarkably shy of the 10.3K users shown in that NGE data. Either way it's comparing apples and oranges. and at the risk of sounding conciliatory, I really hope your oranges turn out to be the norm...

-Duff

Play Stats
    Inactive
    What does it matter though if you had 10.3k servers across all servers? At the end of the day, SOE servers were still capped at 3k and as long as servers running Core3 can match that during prime timeframes population wise, you don't really have a problem.

Regardless of what ifs and maybes, people will come to at least check it out after 1.0, people that have been following the scene for years but aren't playing or paying too much attention currently. The old forum had what, 140k members? This one has 220k+ and it's not even 1.0 yet. You just need a fraction of that to be actively playing to fill up servers. PreCU peaked at 300k subs, last that I can remember and I can assure you, not all of those 300k subs were 24/7 players, you had a bunch of double accounts, etc.

Core3 stability and the size of the playerbase shouldn't even be a concern anymore for legit 1.0 and onward.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by duffstone View Post
    Vlada: A stress test and 2-3 major online communities fall remarkably shy of the 10.3K users shown in that NGE data. Either way it's comparing apples and oranges. and at the risk of sounding conciliatory, I really hope your oranges turn out to be the norm...

-Duff
    SWGEmu members: 225,700 registered, active members:4,685. I am sure that other communities each have at least 50 active members, some have close if not over 1k active members. Add that up and numbers are is pretty close to those 10k you speak of. Just look at those Raph's articles, they have been posted, reposted, rereposted on each an every SWG and SWG emulation related forum, website and social media in a matter of days. There is still huge interest in SWG and everything SWG related.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    you mentioned server population being greater now then back in the days of live but back then we didn't have 10 toons per account , is the server status window counting accounts logged in our toons logged in ?

excellent move btw and yes the spark for SWG is not about to die cause its the closest you can be from living the movies , and 3 more to come so no worries

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by ADL View Post
    you mentioned server population being greater now then back in the days of live but back then we didn't have 10 toons per account , is the server status window counting accounts logged in our toons logged in ?

excellent move btw and yes the spark for SWG is not about to die cause its the closest you can be from living the movies , and 3 more to come so no worries

You can only have 2 online at the same time here, on SOE servers i remember folks having +5 accounts and toons online. So there isnt much difference there.

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    You can only have 2 online at the same time here, on SOE servers i remember folks having +5 accounts and toons online. So there isnt much difference there.
    Yep. Funny memories. My buddy having extra phone lines instaled. Multiple machines. Having issues controlling multiple people at once. Dial up was fun in rural areas back then.

Heck i had issues with one account. LOL.

Is what I am doing in the game wrong? How do I know? If in doubt, contact Staff.

SWGEmu Guides and Helpful Links / complaint@swgemu.com for violations or complaints / LIVE Support

Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
    Yep. Funny memories. My buddy having extra phone lines instaled. Multiple machines. Having issues controlling multiple people at once. Dial up was fun in rural areas back then.

Heck i had issues with one account. LOL.
    Hehe I had 3 accounts back in the day and my ex husband had 5. I now cringe at the money we used to shell out to SOE. I love this project and support what you guys do 100%.
    Onilwyn
    Guild leader of -nWo- and Mayor of Emberlene, Naboo

SWGEmu Retired Forum Moderator Ellyssia's Avatar
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    8 between me, my ex, and two kids... at least 4 of them station access...
    Ellyssia
    Forum Moderator

How to report bugs | Mantis (Bug Tracker) | Live Support
    Install SWGEmu | Fix SWGEmu | Submit a ticket

Play Stats
    Inactive
    LOL. You all crack me up. Where the heck did you get time to manage that many accounts?!?!?!?

Play Stats
    Inactive
    I had my combat toon but had no desire to be a jedi back then. So I wanted my own tailor...later I wanted my own entertainer. Going into the NGE when they allowed 2 characters, I let the 3rd acct lapse and only played 2. Then 1 at the end.
    Onilwyn
    Guild leader of -nWo- and Mayor of Emberlene, Naboo

Play Stats
    Inactive
    9 accounts here.

I had 4, wife had 5 (she started in the NGE and couldn't get my extra jedi unlocks) We actually had a T-1 installed in the house so we could play them all.
    Last edited by Esquire; 04-25-2015 at 05:41 AM.

Banned
    Play Stats
    Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
    your wisdom enlights me

Closed Thread

Thread Information