PDA

View Full Version : Doing the Right Thing...

TAfirehawk
01-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Doing the Right Thing...
Communications Department

A recent issue on Liberator has brought up a topic that we would like to elaborate on.

It was reported that items were being stolen from multiple player inventories by a bug/exploit/hack. One person, out of an unknown number using this stealing method, gave us information and details in an effort to get it fixed and thus make a positive contribution. While we can't go back and restore people's items that were stolen, we can ensure everybody that this will be fixed to the best of our abilities in the Nova Test Center and Liberator servers.

We just want to highlight how thankful we are when a player in the Comminity steps up and is "Doing the Right Thing". We hope others do more of this to help make the SWGEmu PreCU Emulator a better product when it is finished.

For those that don't know the rule, please read the following section from the Test Center Rules (http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30):

3.12 The SWGEmu Team encourages the reporting of any and all exploits. You are required to immediately report and discontinue use of all discovered exploits or face disciplinary action listed below.

3.12.1 Exploits include, but are not limited to; all forms of hacking, exploiting and all other actions intended to break, bend or in anyway alter the SWGEmu gameplay experience in favor of one player or against another player.
3.12.2 Report all exploits to the Quality Assurance department at http://www.swgemu.com/bugs using the Exploit category or send to quality@swgemu.com
3.12.3 As a first offence, there will be a warning issued directing the guilty party to the Quality Assurance department. Offenders are required to immediately disclose all known information about the exploit. Failure to comply with this policy will result in an immediate permanent ban from all SWGEmu services. This ban will include the immediate deletion of all known characters, items, disbanding of guilds if guild leader, and removal of all items being sold by the user on the marketplace.

The SWGEmu Team

Yhor
01-30-2011, 04:49 AM
Glad someone stepped up. Thanks, whoever you are.

Thanks to the Staff who fix and listen as well.

JSW321
01-30-2011, 12:28 PM
This is awesome. Glad to see it.

Uli
01-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Uh huh, might post something about this later then after reading that.

Darkrider
01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Just to be clear, how does this fit in with the whole "don't report Lib bugs?" I mean this as sincerely as possible. Are you saying that if something is blatantly BEING exploited we should report it? Or if something has the potential? Thanks any and all replies.

Uli
01-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Just to be clear, how does this fit in with the whole "don't report Lib bugs?" I mean this as sincerely as possible. Are you saying that if something is blatantly BEING exploited we should report it? Or if something has the potential? Thanks any and all replies.

Some sections of Liberator Code (Pre-OR, Old Nova etc) have been reused in the OR now possibly there are still exploits/hacks in that old code which has been reused therefore they want hacks/exploits to be reported so if they do also affect the OR they can fix it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is not that post which I mentioned earlier (will still post it a bit later)

studrandbo
01-30-2011, 05:12 PM
guys, i think its clear that we report ANY HACKING on liberator IMMEDIATLY. it is a game server and all players need to abide by the rules.
i am especially appreciative of the moderators who stepped in so fast to quash this exploit. WELL DONE, GUYS.

Bostwain
01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Doing the right thing also means removing Liberator? (serious question, no sarcasm here)

Barthug
01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Doing the right thing also means removing Liberator? (serious question, no sarcasm here)

You kids are full of sarcasm and overall are pretty ungrateful. The SWG community was once touted as the single best community in gaming anywhere. When I talk to old players of pre-cu they all say the same. "The community made the game fun". Well, I guess that portion that made the community so great didn't come over to the emu. I see WoW typical behavior. I see a bunch of Adults and children with a "we have the right to do what we want" attitudes and overall ungrateful.

Its sad that Firehawk has to even make this point. Its sad that people troll moderators. I guess its sad at where a once great community (even here on these forums) has went to complete and utter dog ****.

The bottom line is the developers can do what they want. Want to make themselves Jedi? Good for them. Want to make changes to a server to make it MORE FUN? So be it. They don't owe any of us a damned thing. The servers wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them. If you don't like the way things are being handled, start a petition for them to shut down development or do it behind closed doors. I heard there are other emu projects going on. Go over there and moan and *****.

As for the hackers. Please ban these immature kids. I dont care if a wipe is coming. They deserve perma bans from the TCs as well as Suncrusher.

In my opinion I would do invite only to the TCs and let all these kids sit here and be immature and cry about not being able to play. That or go closed door development and let no one play.

Bostwain
01-30-2011, 06:00 PM
You kids are full of sarcasm and overall are pretty ungrateful. The SWG community was once touted as the single best community in gaming anywhere. When I talk to old players of pre-cu they all say the same. "The community made the game fun". Well, I guess that portion that made the community so great didn't come over to the emu. I see WoW typical behavior. I see a bunch of Adults and children with a "we have the right to do what we want" attitudes and overall ungrateful.

Its sad that Firehawk has to even make this point. Its sad that people troll moderators. I guess its sad at where a once great community (even here on these forums) has went to complete and utter dog ****.

The bottom line is the developers can do what they want. Want to make themselves Jedi? Good for them. Want to make changes to a server to make it MORE FUN? So be it. They don't owe any of us a damned thing. The servers wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them. If you don't like the way things are being handled, start a petition for them to shut down development or do it behind closed doors. I heard there are other emu projects going on. Go over there and moan and *****.

As for the hackers. Please ban these immature kids. I dont care if a wipe is coming. They deserve perma bans from the TCs as well as Suncrusher.

In my opinion I would do invite only to the TCs and let all these kids sit here and be immature and cry about not being able to play. That or go closed door development and let no one play.

You sir don't understand that I was seriously asking the question. At the time I was under the impression that it was gone, I forgot about how easily they were able to detach the server like they used to do with the OR testing periodically. And you also are assuming that I am saying removing liberator is a bad thing. I did not lean either way in the question, infact I think it could potentially be good for the testing process, however it would reduce their donation income to keep the project afloat.

I'm not crying, and you sir just need to settle down.

Barthug
01-30-2011, 06:17 PM
You sir don't understand that I was seriously asking the question. At the time I was under the impression that it was gone, I forgot about how easily they were able to detach the server like they used to do with the OR testing periodically. And you also are assuming that I am saying removing liberator is a bad thing. I did not lean either way in the question, infact I think it could potentially be good for the testing process, however it would reduce their donation income to keep the project afloat.

I'm not crying, and you sir just need to settle down.

I hit quote on your name. This doesn't really have anything to do with you. Just stating the question though about the liberator echoes the same nonsense thats been spewed in the jedi force progression threads. About the As-Is server. Trolling cRush and the other developers. Its all the same thing to me. It screams ungrateful and immaturity at every single turn.

Arleer157
01-30-2011, 06:34 PM

If Liberator proves to be an issue in slowing the progression of TC: Nova's progress, I have no doubt the devs will shut it down.

(By the way, I removed my signature picture for you. Also I ****in' love daft punk.)

Bostwain
01-30-2011, 07:07 PM
If Liberator proves to be an issue in slowing the progression of TC: Nova's progress, I have no doubt the devs will shut it down.

(By the way, I removed my signature picture for you. Also I ****in' love daft punk.)

Thanks, and yeah they're brilliant.

Kaelvin
01-30-2011, 07:34 PM

and your $hi! don't stink? A part of the word Community is "U" and if your so biased to think everyone is a snot nosed brat, your ignorance is how you will be perceived by every " immature kid"

The fact that i had to come in off topic to rant about your off topic is down right wrong.

No, the Liberator, as Kyle's update reflects, is using code for the OR, therefore your theory is null.

bigevil
01-30-2011, 07:40 PM
No, the Liberator, as Kyle's update reflects, is using code for the OR, therefore your theory is null.

;) Not.....exactly.....

Kaelvin
01-30-2011, 07:43 PM
;) Not.....exactly.....

What i am saying is, none of us have the judgement call to say what, is and is not the right thing to do. Unless you have Dev under your name, (and at which point would not be mindlessly bickering over the servers exploitation status in a thread) you cannot even begin to make that call. I've seen people talking about closing up the servers to private only, and shutting down lib, but who are you all to make those calls? and how far would that render this project useless?

or maybe you mean they aren't using the code, in which case you haven't been up with the times, I've had this standpoint since before liberator, even though Pre OR is dead code, does not mean they just dropped all of that code, making it utterly useless, there will always be some far fetched algorithm that no one wants to rewrite. whom would do that if you could just modify it? some of the cogs can be interchanged in this machine.

Shoryuu
01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
;) Not.....exactly.....

Yes. Liberator is a testing ground for stuff. It may be small things (like swimming? duh?) but it still is used for testin.

Kaelvin
01-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Yes. Liberator is a testing ground for stuff. It may be small things (like swimming? duh?) but it still is used for testin.

Liberator is using the files directly in the client to calculate the height rather than the old height maps. It also uses a different water detection algorithm.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/entry.php?b=10

The first thing that comes to mind when you mention how small this test control is; our harvester's and how much they love to take flight, and i thought, well how crappy would it be if our characters did the same thing.

then it all made sense. this isn't a small test control, this is something the dev team has done above and beyond all of us to ensure the survival of this project.

Asembla and Mantis grow everyday, and the team has fed the crowd of moars with another server, divided the development phase from the open community, and improved their website, furthermore you are seeing new updates coming in. And most importantly the development team still has the tools to test with, a server, and an active live community. And to top it off fixed four exploits.

so when someone shouts, immaturity, shut the liberator doors, and others complaining about the two servers, the development team has already taken care of your insignificant problems, and a remedy is not necessary for the situation, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Architect
01-30-2011, 09:13 PM
All of you should stay on topic or start a new thread.

ITT:
Thank you to the anonymous individual who helped fix the bug.

Kaelvin
01-30-2011, 09:45 PM
mentioning off topic discussion is off topic. please, stay on topic, and or start a new thread, or join the existing OT thread. http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140

All of you should stay on topic or start a new thread.

ITT:
Thank you to the anonymous individual who helped fix the bug.

ITT: yes, if it were not for those individuals, there would be what i call aiding in abating the law. the devs would have to poke around ten times longer to find out what happened and it would be a headache for development status.

P.S. your comment was in no context to the post above you, so maybe throw an OP quote please, for all I know you are talking to me, and clearly I am on topic.

Just standard forum etiquette, something you push so adamantly.

carpathian
01-31-2011, 04:54 AM
Not trying to get off topic here at all, But I saw something a tad strange the other day a few times. I logged in my alt while logged in on my 1st toon, I noticed my looted wep was not in my inventory. About a half an hour later It somehow was in my 1st toons inventory. I realize there was episodes of exploiting and a few incidences recently I'm not saying there wasn't at all but I think it could be looked at, and i would login your other characters on your account and look if you have not already. I unequiped my VK yesterday and it was gone, logged into my storage alt and it was in his bag lol. weird

I also realize Liberator is fun as is server and not being developed, just thought i'd mention it in case it applies to the TC server in anyway.

Vlada
01-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Not trying to get off topic here at all, But I saw something a tad strange the other day a few times.

I logged in my alt while logged in on my 1st toon, I noticed my looted wep was not in my inventory. About a half an hour later It somehow was in my 1st toons inventory. I realize there was episodes of exploiting and a few incidences recently I'm not saying there wasn't at all but I think it could be looked at, and i would login your other characters on your account and look if you have not already.

I unequiped my VK yesterday and it was gone, logged into my storage alt and it was in his bag lol. weird

I also realize Liberator is fun as is server and not being developed, just thought i'd mention it in case it applies to the TC server in anyway.

That sounds like a classic case of a server rollback.

carpathian
01-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I've seen roll backs many times but never 5 hrs into the server being up when it happened, and this was not after a shutdown or reset. And it has happened a few times the same way. Just pointing it out to check your other toons if an item is missing.

*NOT* saying rollbacks do not occur, they do, but I usually have to do something to trigger it, like not logging out before a reset/shutdown, game crashes etc.

I will see if it happens on TC at all, if it does I will try best as possible to report the issue.

peace

bigevil
01-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Boy, you kids are quick to snippy and toss out bad rep when someone disagrees with your assertions. LOL. Guess Josh will get the cool kid popular star back or maybe Vlada ;)

Anyway, the discussions and posted materials clearly state that Liberator is based on old TC: Nova code, but that certain items would be implemented to assist in the development of OR, and allow for testing of items of interest. Specifically.....

"With this announcement, SWGEmu is launching a second server which will run the pre-October 1st, 2010 version of code. Most of the community refers to this code as "Pre-Object Restructure" or "Pre-OR". This server is designed to be a "Play" server on which users can enjoy some of the old parts of the SWGEmu code that have not been re-implemented in the current codebase on TC: Nova."

So, unless they took a huge 180 from initial release designs regarding liberator and that which was released in annoucements, some more reading may be in order friends and neighbors. I've been wrong lots in life, and may be again.....

EDIT: LOLZ...just got a PM that my popular kids star went back to Joshino......hehe...haters be hatin.

Fierce
01-31-2011, 04:10 PM
I like how the person told our entire guild who exactly was also using the hacking tool but apparently failed to tell you, STAFF, that he is now a part of :)

oggy
01-31-2011, 04:21 PM
I wish the powers that be would "do the right thing" as well and get rid of the trolls. All they do is cause trouble and turmoil within the community.

Keono
01-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Would be nice if the people/players that turned this guy into staff got some recognition.

Vlada
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
I've seen roll backs many times but never 5 hrs into the server being up when it happened, and this was not after a shutdown or reset. And it has happened a few times the same way. Just pointing it out to check your other toons if an item is missing.

*NOT* saying rollbacks do not occur, they do, but I usually have to do something to trigger it, like not logging out before a reset/shutdown, game crashes etc.

I will see if it happens on TC at all, if it does I will try best as possible to report the issue.

peace

If these weren't rollbacks, then they are weird to say the least. But since no items were lost (i hope), i would have to say "No harm, no foul".

And since my assumptions were wrong, I feel the need to apologize.

MajorArcher
01-31-2011, 07:13 PM
I still think we shouldn't be playing Liberator and Testing Nova instead, like I am.
There are 16 players in Nova while there are more than 900 players in the Liberator server.
We'll only get this project forward if we keep playtesting Nova.

Soapflake
02-01-2011, 05:31 AM
Just to be clear, how does this fit in with the whole "don't report Lib bugs?.
I'm a little confused here too... I'm pretty sure that because of the coding, most exploits that may exist on Nova are going to be liberator. So does this mean the bugs are? Bugs cause they exploits, correct? Should we report bugs for liberator after all?

TAfirehawk
02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm a little confused here too... I'm pretty sure that because of the coding, most exploits that may exist on Nova are going to be liberator. So does this mean the bugs are? Bugs cause they exploits, correct? Should we report bugs for liberator after all?

Please don't submit Liberator bugs, there will be plenty of time to report exploits once Liberator is gone and Nova is the only server.

Pafic
02-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice find guys =].

Pravie-pride
02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Do the developers have a certain time when they want to shut Lib down, or are the waiting for a certain point in Nova development?

Vlada
02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Do the developers have a certain time when they want to shut Lib down, or are the waiting for a certain point in Nova development?

Pretty much, "waiting for a certain point in Nova development".

Pravie-pride
02-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks :) My best guess would be they would take it off when the Nova is just as "far" down the road as Lib is (except with more stable code). That way it would be like Lib as far as abilities and features go, except much stronger code wise. Does that sound like a solid guess, or goes no-one really know?

Vlada
02-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks :) My best guess would be they would take it off when the Nova is just as "far" down the road as Lib is (except with more stable code). That way it would be like Lib as far as abilities and features go, except much stronger code wise. Does that sound like a solid guess...

Pretty much, yes.

Ruledo
02-04-2011, 02:11 AM
*Self Edited*
Wasn't helpful to project.

Atomic
02-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Basically it seems like the dev. team has things under control and the best thing for us to do is....

The right thing.

Sounds easy enough.

TAfirehawk
02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
A few posts were removed because this is not the place to log an issue about the SWGEmu Team.

Voicing Your Concerns

We welcome your advice, your ideas and a wider community consensus. By opening up the concerns@swgemu.com email address for concerns about staff or management issues, we are hoping to resolve isolated incidents before they become real issues. Eventually a web based form will be implemented to direct concerns to the appropriate people. Emails about support issues will not be answered from this email address. Threads discussing the overall nature, direction or history of the project are permitted within the revised Forum Rules and the revised Infraction system.

The concerns@swgemu.com email address goes to the Communications Director and Manager only as those positions are serving in a Human Resources role as well as official communications. We hope this provides an efficient means for concerns about staff or management issues, but please continue to use support email addresses. For those cases when the concern is directed at the Communications Department, the comms-concerns@swgemu.com email address goes to the President and Test Center Director only. The use of these two email addresses will allow the person submitting the concern to have anonymity when requested, while still providing a means to convey all the details to the right people on Staff.

Section of Rules related to exploits:

3.12 The SWGEmu Team encourages the reporting of any and all exploits. You are required to immediately report and discontinue use of all discovered exploits or face disciplinary action listed below.

3.12.1 Exploits include, but are not limited to; all forms of hacking, exploiting and all other actions intended to break, bend or in anyway alter the SWGEmu gameplay experience in favor of one player or against another player.
3.12.2 Report all exploits to the Quality Assurance department at http://www.swgemu.com/bugs using the Exploit category or send to quality@swgemu.com
3.12.3 As a first offence, there will be a warning issued directing the guilty party to the Quality Assurance department. Offenders are required to immediately disclose all known information about the exploit. Failure to comply with this policy will result in an immediate permanent ban from all SWGEmu services. This ban will include the immediate deletion of all known characters, items, disbanding of guilds if guild leader, and removal of all items being sold by the user on the marketplace.

TAfirehawk
02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Thread closed before it goes any further off track.