Now, I've seen a number of posts of how to "dress like the movies" but for the most part these, by necessity, extrapolate and combine items that are obviously influenced by the film with those that simply have a similar style (aka fit well enough to pass). This is a must since much of the clothing we see worn by characters in the movies isn't actually in the game. Let me say right here, there's nothing wrong with any of these posts and in making this one I'm not trying to invalidate anyone else's interpretations. It's just that I, myself, have been curious as to which items of in-game clothing were actually directly taken from or influenced by the movie.
The only way to know, of course, was to research the question myself. To that end I've spent many hours reviewing the films as well as searching images on the internet and I feel pretty confident I've nailed down just about every wearable in the game that's taken from episodes I, II and IV-VI. In many cases there are items which could have come from movie wardrobe: various bandoliers, gloves, striped pants; but unless I could find compelling evidence to tie the items to something specific in the films, I'm refraining from including them. I'm am including all armor and loot/reward clothing items I think are appropriate just for the sake of thoroughness.
I'm listing items by movie first and then alphabetically by character within each film. At the beginning of each episode's list I include a "Generic" category if applicable where I lay out items worn by multiple characters. If I feel a comment is necessary I make it -- identifying an obscure character or explaining how an item differs from that in the movie -- but some items speak for themselves (Leia's slave garb in Jabba's palace for example).
As I said, I've done a lot of research but if anyone thinks I've missed anything or you take issue with one of my conclusions, by all means let me know and I'll do my best to refute you .
If you happen to be on Sunrunner, I've actually created a museum that contains almost all the items in this list (anyone got some Mandalorian armor for sale cheap? heh) so stop by and take a look. The Wookiee Hut Museum of Historical Fashion is located in the beautiful town of New Haven on Naboo at 290 x -5635.
A NEW HOPE
- Cloak - Cloaks are very popular items in the Star Wars universe. Ben had a nice one.
- Cold Weather Jacket - Pretty much a good copy of the ANH rebel officer jacket as best seen worn by Captain Antilles on the Tantive IV. Why they name it "cold weather" perhaps we'll never know (especially since they use it on rebel NPCs themselves).
- Fighter Flightsuit - General Rebel flightsuit (seen in all 3 movies)
- High Quality Boots - These are the closest thing in the game to the boots worn in general by not only Imperial officers but Rebels like Han Solo as well. The ones in the movie were riding boots and personally I don't find them a very good match, especially since the boots in the films tended to be taller. I'm including them since the devs keep putting all their Imp Officer NPCs in them (they'd know, I guess).
- Imperial Command Hat - Not actually currently wearable but standard issue Imp wear in all the films.
- Long Formal Jacket - Imperial Officer's uniform (also seem in all the films)
- Long Leather Gloves - Well, seeing photos of the actual Tie Fighter Pilot costumes show that they are, in fact, wearing long leather gloves. So who am I to argue with logic.
- Scout Vest - Though everyone wants Han's vest, I have to rule that this is not a match. It's conspicuously missing the four pocketed areas on the upper back. However, it's obvious that this style of vest is influenced by the movie so I'll attribute it to the vests that the rebel troopers were wearing at the beginning of the film aboard that Tantive IV. It's a much closer match (though it needs to be a bit longer, I'd say).
- Storm Trooper Armor
- Tie Pilot Helmet
- Tie Pilot Survival Suit
Pondo Baba aka Walrusman:
- Shortsleeve Jacket - This is an odd one. The jacket matches that worn by Pondo in the Mos Eisley cantina except that his jacket was long sleeved. However, in my searches of the web I've found images of this alien in a short sleeve version. ??? These look like they may have come off a toy package and though I can't corfirm where they came from I'll include this item because the jacket itself is too close to just write off the similarity.
- Ribbed Pants
- Ribbed Shirt - The ribbed combo obviously follows the notorious Rodian. Big difference though is that Greedo's shirt had a tall collar.
- Suit Jacket - Worn by all the members of the Mos Eisley cantina band.
- Pleated Dress - Matches pretty closely but her dress had a hood (which she only wears at the very beginning and can be seen hanging down her back the rest of the film).
- Striped Pants - Of the 3 striped pant styles available this is the one that matches best. If you look at Han's pants you'll see their stripes aren't solid but look similar to the ribbed appearance on these pants. In ANH his pants are black w/ a red stripe and he's wearing similar pants in the other films but dark brown w/ a yellow stripe.
- Small Pocket Belt - Definitely Luke's Tatooine farmboy belt. The buckle is right and the pocket matches perfectly. Of course, the one Luke wore in had more pouches and pockets.
- Rugged Jacket - Worn during the celebration/medal scene at the end of the film.
- Wrapped Boots - Luke's Tatooine boots
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
- AT-AT Pilot Helmet
- AT-AT Pilot Survival Suit
- Cold Weather Gloves - Standard issue Hoth gear apparently. Besides actually being accurately name (a big clue) the "cuffed" style and communicator square make the match. Of course, in the film these gloves have the communicator only on one glove, not both (similar to the way the workman's glove is in-game).
- Paneled Boots - General Rebel bootwear on Hoth. Worn by many Rebels on the ice planet including pretty much all our heroes.
- Vested Jacket - I know everyone attributes this to Rebel Hoth gear so I'm including it. Though in general is holds many similarities to jackets worn by some on Hoth, I've checked and rechecked the scenes and find no jacket with the same kind of "skirted" look. Most of the jackets in the movie would be much tighter w/ just the "vest" and sleeve area. /shrug on this one
Here I want to make special mention of the new Quilted Pants. I'm choosing not to include them but feel they need to be addressed because at first glance they appear very much like the pants worn by Rebel soliders (including Luke) on Hoth. However, on the movie pants, the quilted area extends up well above the knee while on these it ends clearly below it. I put it in the same category as the Vested Jacket; close, but inaccurate in such a glaring way I have to discount it. I went ahead and said I'd include the jacket, but I have to draw the line somewhere (heck, these things don't even look warm).
- Cloaked Dress - Based on what Leia wore on Bespin, however, in the movie the cloaked "dress" actually had pantlegs! (thanks Buttonmasher)
- Reinforced Jumpsuit - Almost exactly what she's wearing in the escape from hoth but hers also had the quilted patchlike areas on the sleeves as well, which are inexplicably left off here.
- Casual Jacket - The major difference here is that Han's jacket only has a pocket on the left sleeve, not both.
- Scout Jacket - Han's Hoth snowjacket
RETURN OF THE JEDI
- Belted Jacket - Worn by rebel officers including Lando and Crix Madine.
- Helmet (aka Rebel Commando Helmet) - Former reward item from the Rebel themepark... worn on the forest moon of Endor.
- Paramilitary Camos - Stylistically these have the look of those worn by the Rebel commandos on Endor, but the camo pattern of the Spec-Ops Duster or the new Basic Camos is a better match.
- Sleeveless Jacket - What many of the Rebel commandos were wearing on Endor (easily seen during the briefing before the attack).
- Multipocket Belt - Close enough for government work.
Janus Greejatus, one of Emperor Palpatine's advisors aboard the 2nd Death Star:
Lyn Me, the white skinned twi'lek dancer/vocalist added for the special edition as part of the musical number in Jabba's palace:
- Revealing Fleshwrap
- Twi'lek Lekku Wrap
Ten Numb, Sullustan B-Wing pilot:
- B-Wing Pilot Survival Suit - In the movie, all the B-Wing flightsuits are red, including Ten's. However, there exists a pre-production promotional shot where he's wearing a white suit. This is evidently what the devs were going off of.
- Exotic Leotard
- Twi'lek Bone Crest
- Extremely Revealing Skirt
- Maiden's Dress - What she's wearing in the Ewok village.
- Metal Bikini
- Short Vest - Worn during the briefing before the battle of Endor and underneath her poncho during the assault.
- Ubese Armor
Renneck, a background figure in Jabba's palace purported to be his personal nerf herder:
Palejo Reshad, another character from Jabba's... a Corellian spice smuggler:
- Spec-Ops Duster - Worn during the raid on the shield generator on Endor..
- Decorated Belt - Pretty sure this is modeled after the belt Luke's wearing with his black Jedi garb. Same belt-buckle and little clips.
- Long Vest - Not a great match (they've gotten better at making Jedi garb heh) but this is close enough I have to say this is based on the vest he was wearing at Jabba's.
- Sidebuttoned Shirt - Again not perfect but a very close match. The big difference being that Luke's buttons up on the opposite side as you can see when he has part of the flap folded down later in the movie.
Tessek, the squid-headed Quarren seen at Jabba's palace and on the sailbarge:
- Dress Robe - No idea who this person is but you can see him standing behind Artoo wearing this when C-3PO spills the drinks on Jabba's barge.
Vizam, gunner on Jabba's barge:
THE PHANTOM MENACE
- Jedi Robes - Almost forgot these little numbers. Haven't really studied the in-game items extensively (not a Jedi myself) but I'll just go ahead and assume they're generally similar to those used in both Epsiodes I & II.
- Belted Vest
- Flared Cuff Shirt
- Wooly Jacket - This one is almost exact but Shmi's jacket is quite a bit longer in the back hanging down to a triangular point.
Sei Taria, the administrative aide to Chancellor Valorum:
- Smock - This is what he's wearing beneath his robe.
ATTACK OF THE CLONES
- Grand Ball Gown - Worn as she and Anakin arrive at the Lake Retreat. The main difference here is in the movie the dress has fabric "wings" that connect the material or the dress with the sleeves (thanks, Sakura).
- Intricate Dress - Padme's wedding dress.
- Luxurious Gown - She wears this number when she's having dinner w/ Anakin at the Lake Retreat (purportedly designed by Lucas himself... kinky).
Zam Wessel, Clawdite bounty hunter and assasin:
Message Edited by Dag_Benhameen on 10-31-2004 03:19 AM
Message Edited by Dag_Benhameen on 10-31-2004 03:20 AM
Message Edited by Dag_Benhameen on 10-31-2004 10:56 AM
Message Edited by Dag_Benhameen on 11-04-2004 12:14 AM
Message Edited by Dag_Benhameen on 01-10-2005 10:58 PM
Message Edited by Dag_Benhameen on 02-09-2005 10:09 PM